Mike Camerons biggest Sox moment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Mike Camerons biggest Sox moment

This guys on big money. Has Mike Cameron done anything in a Sox uniform in over a year? Anything? Other than the blatant interference call that just got a tying run called out on second in the 8th inn!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Re: Mike Cameron biggest Sox moment

In Response to Mike Cameron biggest Sox moment:
    [QUOTE]This guys on big money. Has Mike Cameron done anything in a Sox uniform in over a year? Anything?
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

Um no but he was injured most of last year. Sure seems like a bad signing at this point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He got hurt last year, and unlike some players, played through the pain.

He's barely played this season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He stole 13 million from Theo. Best physique but cannot hit the ball out of the infield. Rather have had Jason Bay.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

cameron blows. enough with start him and darnell who also blows against lefties. put the best team on the field every game. it doesnt matter if mcdonald and cameron are right handed, neither of them can hit lefties any better than drew and ellsbury. ellsbury leads the team in homers and drew has one of the higher averages on the team and yet they are both sitting for two guts who are hitting under .150. Keep up the great work coma. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

A veteran with a career .250 average on crap teams. $15m for two years, what am i missing? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

You are missing Crawford and 142M. Cameron was hurt in spring training last year, tried to play though it. This year, he rarely gets on the field. Hard to hit when the bench duty is quite long. If he were given more PT, his numbers would imrove to his caeer lower averages at worst. He's a needed RHB, so Tito should stick with him longer and give him a little more PT.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Cameron makes a great 4th outfielder, I am happy with him only as a 4th outfielder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A veteran with a career .250 average on crap teams. $15m for two years, what am i missing?

1) Cam has been great vs LHPs, which is perhaps this team's greatest weakness.
    2) He has been a great fielder and CF defense was not great when signed.
    3) He has decent speed and baserunning smarts.
    4) He has 20+ HR power and we had just lost Jason bay.

Yeah, the injury and now the signing of Crawford have caused low playing time and low production. He hasn't earned his money yet, but the injury was not foreseen by either party.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Obviously its just me who thinks hes been a total waste of $15m. He never plays and when he does he's sh1te. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Mike Camerons biggest Sox moment

cameron signed a 2 yr contract for excellent money
    he is in his late 30s and was deemed by Theo to replace Ells in Center - maybe the most disastrous decision in the Theo/Tito regime - Moon, no one could predict his injury? Isn't he the age when most men retire?
    He has been huge mistake and we should cut him for a younger player in the minors - at least Wake can do mop up duty as this point - Cameron can't do anything well and the fact that he gets starts because he is righthanded is obscene given his production as a sox player. He is a mistake - cut him loose (althougb I doubt anyone would want him or his contract)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Mike Camerons biggest Sox moment:
    [QUOTE]This guys on big money. Has Mike Cameron done anything in a Sox uniform in over a year? Anything? Other than the blatant interference call that just got a tying run called out on second in the 8th inn!
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

Cameron's making big money?  Sure, he's making more than you or I times a lot, but $7.5M isn't big money baseball.  League average starting pitchers make around $7.5M or more on the free agent market.

Also, he was hurt almost all of last season, and has served as the fourth outfielder this year.  It makes it difficult to have a lot of big moments, when you don't have the chance to play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

his biggest sox moment? when he leaves our team and they bring up kalish

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Camerons biggest Sox moment:
    [QUOTE]his biggest sox moment? when he leaves our team and they bring up kalish
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Kalish would mean that our only right handed hitter in the outfield would be Mcdonald. We need Cameron, unless we can find another righty. He hasn't done much yet, but he hasn't had much of a chance either. He will be an important part of the team this year. And frankly, who cares how much John Henry pays him? he's off the books after this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I was surprised in that situation, down a run, in the 8th, against a guy who wasn't giving up much, that Cameron was not bunting.  Not that it would have mattered, but I thought for sure they'd bunt Ells to 2nd.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]With Ellsbury's speed even with a pitcher with an excellent move on the mound the RS were pretty comfortable that Ellsbury could steal second, so why bunt him over and surrender the out without taking a crack at a bigger situation with no outs? They are after all on the road and if at all possible that late in the game you play to win not to tie or so goes the conventional wisdom in baseball any way.

In hindsight, not bunting was not an issue. Ellsbury had stolen second and they had taken a shot at making something bigger happen. Cameron's mental lapse of course erased the runner. The tactics were fine, the execution fell way short.

And it may well have mattered because once Ellsbury is on second he has a huge advantage on Anderson when it comes to stealing third because LH are blind to the runner. It changes the whole complexion of the inning at any rate and if they tie or go ahead I don't think we see Oki and I am not even sure Wheller comes back out. While I am not going to join in on any Cameron "roasts" over it, going from having your elite base runner on second with one out, to two outs and nobody on was huge. it changed how the RS had to approach the next inning with a day game scheduled the next day and if you believe in such things as momentuem, it killed any the RS were mounting. 

Cameron has only had 19 PAs so far this year so people should give him a break. Everything is magnified right now. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Does everybody realize that they DIDN'T call interference on Cameron?! Check Pete Abraham's post this morning - Cam struck out and the second base ump said Ellsbury was tagged out at second (he was wrong).

Katz, your right - no need to bunt. Ellsbury had second stole, let Cameron knock him in.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Wow the ump blew that call and what was with is delay on it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

[QUOTE]Wow the ump blew that call and what was with is delay on it?
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

He said he was waiting to see whether Cam had walked or not. It was weird though because it looked like the hime plate ump signaled a strike out right away, then the second base ump just sort of stood there looking at him. Guess he didn't see the strike out call.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I think if the RS can find Cameron a helmet with the bill cocked to one side, he'd hit much better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Instead of heaping all the blame on Cameron, how about the rest of the team , which couldn't generate a single run against what is basically a AAA lineup?

There is no excuse for consistently losing to the Clevelands , Tampas and Oaklands.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

[QUOTE]Instead of heaping all the blame on Cameron, how about the rest of the team , which couldn't generate a single run against what is basically a AAA lineup? There is no excuse for consistently losing to the Clevelands , Tampas and Oaklands.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Good point that last night can't be put on Cameron's shoulders alone. Though I'm not really that upset about last night. Anderson looked really on, and sometimes you just run into pitchers with amzing stuff that shut you down, no matter who you are.
    They got a few bad breaks (the non balk call when Pedroia was thrown out, the call on Ellsbury), and that combined with what was really a great pitching performance from Anderson made it awfully tough to score.
    That park is a killer too. I thought maybe Gonzalez's wall ball in the first would have been out of a lot of parks. I  think they'll be okay, the good is that Lackey pitched a hell of a game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Remy and Orsillo blew the call themselves. They never had any check and claimed that Ellsbury was called out on catcher interference. I think Cameron did interfere, but not enough to where they hardly ever make that call. Had Cameron not done that, Ellsbury would have been out easily. As it was, he was clearly safe on a close call that required slow motion.

Not bunting was the right move. But when the count was 3-0, take, it should have take on the 3-1 pitch with no outs. Cameron swung at a clearly high pitch fastball. Then, on the 3-2, he should have been picky and only swung on a metball located fastball. Ellsbury against the lefty was not any done deal on stealing. Getting runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs would likely have been the result. At that point, no outs, two fast runners, the sacrifice should have been on for Salty to stay out of the double play and move the runners into scoring position with only one out. It wouldn't have taken a very good bunt to get Cameron and Ellsbury moved up.

The key was not putting the take on Cameron on the 3-1 pitch against a laboring Anderson. Baseball is about the odds at any given time. Betting on long odds won't work over a long season. The odds were better than Cameron walks on the 3-1 or the 3-2, then hits a homer or gapper.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I am less sure that Ellsbury is out if not for the interference. The catcher did not change anything in his throwing motion, double clutch or in any way adjust to the "interference". The throw itself couldn't have been any better coming right down into the glove in tag position not requiring the fielder to make any adjustment prior to going for the tag. If in fact there was contact that alter that throw it would appear to have been beneficial contact. 

I have a much harder time critquing the AB too than you have. It is hard to second guess hitters pitch by pitch, after nothing is more true than TS Williams statement that the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a round ball with a round bat squarely. I am not sure that you take a MLB hitter of Cameron's ability and not trust him to be selective on 3-1, it might be the best pitch he sees in all the whole sequence. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Doesn't have anything to do with trust. It's about the situation and the odds. Better chance of runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs and scoring one or two runs, then Cameron swinging away at a 3-1 pitch on a pitcher who was clearly laboring.

On the catcher throw, he did not get as much on the throw as he could because he had to release the ball ealy because of Cameron on the follow through. I know it's strange to see a catcher who has a decent arm and quick and accurate release, having watched Red Sox catching for so many years;)

Sections
Shortcuts