Mike Carp,do the sox claim him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Mike Carp,do the sox claim him?

In response to titletownfan's comment:

Why don't we just trade them Mortenson for Carp and call it a day.

Clay Mortenson would require a spot on Seattle's 40-man roster and the Mariners don't have room for the nearly 28-year-old righthander.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The key question is this, does Carp have more potential to make the team than one of the other guys on the 40 man roster, like Alex Hassan for example?

That would be my question.  Same as with every other recognizable name that gets put on waivers that posters want us to pick up.  His stats don't really scream out for us to pick him up.  He fits okay, but he had a .654 last year, with a 145/52 career K/W.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Overbay, minor league contract, is a better option that clearing storage space for Carps.

He will be either on the roster or a FA opening day he is not going to spend one day in the minors. If Carp didn't work out couldn't you just DFA him? He is making next to nothing and since you claim on waivers, he only costs you the waiver fee.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Since Carp was DFA'd, he is still with the Mariners, pending re-assignment, trade or waivers.

The Sox would need to trade for him at this point, but the return should be a mid-tier prospect if they do want this kid.

Keep in mind they'd have to add him to the 40 man roster here which means someone else would be DFA'd on our side or sent to the Mariners in the trade.

The Mariners would be unlikely to take back in trade a player who needs to be placed on the 40-man roster. Mike Carp was DFA'd only to make room for lefthander Joe Saunders on Seattle's 40-man roster (and because Carp is out of options).

Seattle might be interested in a player such as Boston outfield prospects Keury de la Cruz and Manual Margot, who would not need to be placed on the 40-man roster. 

Or, Linares.

Or wait 7 days snd see if Seattle waives him.  At this point in the offseason most teams hsve 40 man roster issues. Boston could always DFA Mauro Gomez, who is a reasonably safe bet to clear waivers. The demand for 28yo AAAA first basemen might make him unlikely for other teams to clear space for him.

Notin I disagree re. Gomez---I think, like Carp, he will be claimed. I would be more inclined to DFA Alex Hassan before Gomez. I do think Hassan clears waivers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Since Carp was DFA'd, he is still with the Mariners, pending re-assignment, trade or waivers.

The Sox would need to trade for him at this point, but the return should be a mid-tier prospect if they do want this kid.

Keep in mind they'd have to add him to the 40 man roster here which means someone else would be DFA'd on our side or sent to the Mariners in the trade.

Since the Mariners DFA'd him he has to go through the waiver process before he can be shipped to the minors. That being the case all the Sox have to do is place a claim on him and if they are the team with the worst record claiming him then he would be theirs as long as they put him on the 40 man roster,he has no options left so they can't stash him in the minors. The only way Seattle can stop a team from claiming him for free is to withdraw the DFA or trade him in the next ten days. Two of the teams ahead of the Sox are set at first base Houston  might need him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Since the Mariners DFA'd him he has to go through the waiver process before he can be shipped to the minors. That being the case all the Sox have to do is place a claim on him and if they are the team with the worst record claiming him then he would be theirs as long as they put him on the 40 man roster,he has no options left so they can't stash him in the minors. The only way Seattle can stop a team from claiming him for free is to withdraw the DFA or trade him in the next ten days. Two of the teams ahead of the Sox are set at first base

Houston  might need him.

I suspect Seattle will wait out the 10 days for the best trade offer, as the Mariners did with DFA'd reliever Shawn Kelley, whom the M's traded today to the Yankees for lightly regarded minor league outfielder Abraham Almonte:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/2013/02/13/mariners-trade-shawn-kelley-to-yankees-for-minor-league-outfielder/

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to selenium's comment:

With Carp going from team to team without costing us much sounds like

Carp to Carp Walleting to me.

;)   ;) Wink Wink 

epic fail

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Since the Mariners DFA'd him he has to go through the waiver process before he can be shipped to the minors. That being the case all the Sox have to do is place a claim on him and if they are the team with the worst record claiming him then he would be theirs as long as they put him on the 40 man roster,he has no options left so they can't stash him in the minors. The only way Seattle can stop a team from claiming him for free is to withdraw the DFA or trade him in the next ten days. Two of the teams ahead of the Sox are set at first base

Houston  might need him.

I suspect Seattle will wait out the 10 days for the best trade offer, as the Mariners did with DFA'd reliever Shawn Kelley, whom the M's traded today to the Yankees for lightly regarded minor league outfielder Abraham Almonte:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/2013/02/13/mariners-trade-shawn-kelley-to-yankees-for-minor-league-outfielder/

They only have 7 days to put him on waivers.  If they wait all 10, they have to trade him for whatever or release him...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The Mariners would be unlikely to take back in trade a player who needs to be placed on the 40-man roster. Mike Carp was DFA'd only to make room for lefthander Joe Saunders on Seattle's 40-man roster (and because Carp is out of options).

Seattle might be interested in a player such as Boston outfield prospects Keury de la Cruz and Manual Margot, who would not need to be placed on the 40-man roster. 

Or, Linares.

Or wait 7 days snd see if Seattle waives him.  At this point in the offseason most teams hsve 40 man roster issues. Boston could always DFA Mauro Gomez, who is a reasonably safe bet to clear waivers. The demand for 28yo AAAA first basemen might make him unlikely for other teams to clear space for him.

Notin I disagree re. Gomez---I think, like Carp, he will be claimed. I would be more inclined to DFA Alex Hassan before Gomez. I do think Hassan clears waivers.

Gomez would clear waivers.  Anyone wanting a backup 1B would have been able to top the Sox offer for Overbay, or simply go after the superior (to Gomez) Casey Kotchman.  Gomez' right-handed bat will not put him in demand as a bench option, either.

And if he got claimed, big deal.  Players like Gomez do come along every year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Houston  might need him.

is Hpuston considered AL or NL for waiver claims?

While they are in the AL this upcoming season, they did achieve their league-worst record in the NL...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I don't think anyone will offer anything for Carp. He's not worth bumping anyone from the 40 man roster and claiming on waivers, since Wakefield is no longer on it. The Red Sox should pass on claming this road kill. 

They going to have to clear at least one roster space more likely two before the start of the assuming the Sox plan to have more than 11 position players on the roster, so what is the problem clearing a spot 6 weeks early.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think anyone will offer anything for Carp. He's not worth bumping anyone from the 40 man roster and claiming on waivers, since Wakefield is no longer on it. The Red Sox should pass on claming this road kill. 

So, basically, Carp is the worst 40th man in MLB.

Gotcha!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, basically, Carp is the worst 40th man in MLB.

Gotcha!

That's not what I said. I said, the Red Sox don't need to bump anyone from the current 40 man roster to pay Carp to stay on it.  

No, you actually said "anyone".

Unlike you, I actually read what others write before I respond.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Your stalking is quite unhealthy. My obvious reference was to teams "trading" anything for Carp. That's not going to happen unless some incompetent like Cherry fires from his hip. I've put you down for wanting this guy, who will be claimed off of waivers for virtual zero or released.

I got you down for being a drivel clown.

I'd try and make a 2 or 3 for one deal to make room for Tazawa on the 25 man roster, and if that opens a slot on the 40 man (if all 2 or 3 traded are from the 40 man roster, then yes, I'd claim Carp. 

I would not DFA Hassan for Carp. Gomez for Carp is a close call.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Kalish could go to the 60 day DL to fit him as well.

Carp is better vs. RHP than his stat line suggests and is an upgrade,  but not someone you break the bank for.

The Sox could offer something questionable but not worthless like Derrick Gibson and see who tops it.  Chances are no one will...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Carp is better vs. RHP than his stat line suggests and is an upgrade,  but not someone you break the bank for.

The Sox could offer something questionable but not worthless like Derrick Gibson and see who tops it.  Chances are no one will...

Seattle can't expect a great return for four years of Mike Carp (the AL Rookie of the Month in August 2011), but in outfielder Abraham Almonte the Mariners got a better return than outfielder Derrik Gibson for just three years of reliever Shawn Kelley.

Before the Mariners traded for Almonte on Wednesday, I had suggested that the Red Sox trade Keury de la Cruz or Manuel Margot for Carp because Seattle lacks outfield depth in the minors.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

That's not what I said. I said, the Red Sox don't need to bump anyone from the current 40 man roster to pay Carp to stay on it.  

You are missing point the bump someone now and if doesn't work out DFA later for Overbay or Sweeney. No risk and very little cost.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Seattle can't expect a great return for four years of Mike Carp (the AL Rookie of the Month in August 2011), but in outfielder Abraham Almonte the Mariners got a better return than outfielder Derrik Gibson for just three years of reliever Shawn Kelley.

Before the Mariners traded for Almonte on Wednesday, I had suggested that the Red Sox trade Keury de la Cruz or Manuel Margot for Carp because Seattle lacks outfield depth in the minors.

Pete Hissey then.

You might be overvaluing the appeal of Carp, much like you did with Trayvon Robinson when you suggedted Garin Cecchini as adequate return..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Pete Hissey then.

You might be overvaluing the appeal of Carp, much like you did with Trayvon Robinson when you suggedted Garin Cecchini as adequate return..

He has he think the Sox Prospects are overrated. The thing that he is forgetting is that once claim Mariners lose all leverage and won't get much.

Sections
Shortcuts