Mike Carp,do the sox claim him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Mike Carp,do the sox claim him?

Vitek really only spent less than half a season in AA ball.  He actually has a solid albeit unspectacular minor league career.

The problem with Carp  will be how many teams still want 1B/Of players via trade in mid-February. Pitching ia always in demand..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would take carp over overbay at this point, he plays both outfield and 1st (something overbay doesnt do) and is younger than overbay and hits for more power.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Since Carp was DFA'd, he is still with the Mariners, pending re-assignment, trade or waivers.

The Sox would need to trade for him at this point, but the return should be a mid-tier prospect if they do want this kid.

Keep in mind they'd have to add him to the 40 man roster here which means someone else would be DFA'd on our side or sent to the Mariners in the trade.

The Mariners would be unlikely to take back in trade a player who needs to be placed on the 40-man roster. Mike Carp was DFA'd only to make room for lefthander Joe Saunders on Seattle's 40-man roster (and because Carp is out of options).

Seattle might be interested in a player such as Boston outfield prospects Keury de la Cruz and Manual Margot, who would not need to be placed on the 40-man roster.

You are not getting De La Cruz for Carp.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Since Carp was DFA'd, he is still with the Mariners, pending re-assignment, trade or waivers.

The Sox would need to trade for him at this point, but the return should be a mid-tier prospect if they do want this kid.

Keep in mind they'd have to add him to the 40 man roster here which means someone else would be DFA'd on our side or sent to the Mariners in the trade.

The Mariners would be unlikely to take back in trade a player who needs to be placed on the 40-man roster. Mike Carp was DFA'd only to make room for lefthander Joe Saunders on Seattle's 40-man roster (and because Carp is out of options).

Seattle might be interested in a player such as Boston outfield prospects Keury de la Cruz and Manual Margot, who would not need to be placed on the 40-man roster.

You are not getting De La Cruz for Carp.

I'm not in the market for any player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:

Why don't we just trade them Mortenson for Carp and call it a day.

Because Mortensen has options.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Or, Linares.

Or wait 7 days snd see if Seattle waives him.  At this point in the offseason most teams hsve 40 man roster issues. Boston could always DFA Mauro Gomez, who is a reasonably safe bet to clear waivers. The demand for 28yo AAAA first basemen might make him unlikely for other teams to clear space for him.

The part of your post that I bolded I completely agree with.  Exactly what I was thinking.  Its not unthinkable that he would clear waivers.  The part of your post that I italicized, I strongly disagree with.  Gomez has mashed in AAA for two straight years.  He could be a major league platoon team on a bad team or a pinch hitter on a good time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Carp is out of options, has over two yeas, and is approachng the last 3 years of service arbitation, you bugaboo injecting captious stooge. The Mariners have designated him as trash. 

There's a old saying that goes "one person's trash is another man's gold".  This holds true in most flea markets and yard sales.

In respect to Carp, he might be considered trash to the Mariners because they have depth at the 1B/OF position...consider that Justin Smoak is looking for a roster spot there as well.

As for the Red Sox, their lack of depth at the LHH 1B/OF position would make him a good fit here, and also might get him to land a major league job here.

Now the Sox might be able to wait it out and let Carp go on waivers before making a claim, based on their place in the standings last year they'd be at the top of the claim list. They can also trade for the guy and give up a mid-level minor league prospect in case another team is interested and is looking to make a trade.

Personally, I'd like Carp on the ST roster and fighting Nava and Overbay for the backup 1B/OF job. If he doesn't beat these guys out, they can also follow the DFA process again with him.

The key question is this, does Carp have more potential to make the team than one of the other guys on the 40 man roster, like Alex Hassan for example?

He stands a much better chance of making the team than Dan Butler does, I can tell you that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Kalish could go to the 60 day DL to fit him as well.

Carp is better vs. RHP than his stat line suggests and is an upgrade,  but not someone you break the bank for.

The Sox could offer something questionable but not worthless like Derrick Gibson and see who tops it.  Chances are no one will...

Seattle can't expect a great return for four years of Mike Carp (the AL Rookie of the Month in August 2011), but in outfielder Abraham Almonte the Mariners got a better return than outfielder Derrik Gibson for just three years of reliever Shawn Kelley.

Before the Mariners traded for Almonte on Wednesday, I had suggested that the Red Sox trade Keury de la Cruz or Manuel Margot for Carp because Seattle lacks outfield depth in the minors.

Pete Hissey then.

You might be overvaluing the appeal of Carp, much like you did with Trayvon Robinson when you suggedted Garin Cecchini as adequate return..

Everyone overrates their own.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

According to MLB Trade Rumors and SoxProspects, Clayton Mortenson is out of options:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/out-of-options-2013.html

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/mortensen-clay.htm

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The main idea behind Carp is to platoon him at 1st and LF. His reverse splits kind of kill that idea. I would not trade anything of value for him. That would include anybody in the Sox top 30 prospects. Not sure I even claim him off waivers.

If he clears waivers I might sign him to a similar deal that Overbay has. Personally, I am for eventually trading for a good young guy like Morrison.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

The main idea behind Carp is to platoon him at 1st and LF. His reverse splits kind of kill that idea. I would not trade anything of value for him. That would include anybody in the Sox top 30 prospects. Not sure I even claim him off waivers.

If he clears waivers I might sign him to a similar deal that Overbay has. Personally, I am for eventually trading for a good young guy like Morrison.

For what it's worth, Mike Carp and Logan Morrison, who is only 13 months younger than Carp, each remain under team control for four years. Baseball Reference has Carp with 0.6 WAR in 173 career games and Morrison with 0.1 WAR in 278 careers, although FanGraphs has Carp with a career WAR of 1.1 and Morrison a career WAR of 2.4.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

For what it's worth, Mike Carp and Logan Morrison, who is only 13 months younger than Carp, each remain under team control for four years. Baseball Reference has Carp with 0.6 WAR in 173 career games and Morrison with 0.1 WAR in 278 careers, although FanGraphs has Carp with a career WAR of 1.1 and Morrison a career WAR of 2.4.

this is why i don't rely solely on the WAR stat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Trade a suspect for a player.

It will  take a decent to good  A or AA or AAA prospect for Carp--and they should ask for a decent player. Carp has been targeted for much of the offseason by the Sox. Now that he's available they need to do what it takes to pick him up. He's better than Nava and better than Kalish. We need a lefthanded bat to platoon at  1 B and LF---let's figure out a way to get him. Don't wait for him to clear waivers; we'll lose him.

DFA Hassan or put Kalish on the 60 day DL.

I suggest holding onto Gomez; we may need him sooner or later depending on Nap's and Ortiiz's health.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Here are more career stats that isolate the hitting of Mike Carp and Logan Morrison:

MC 608 PA, .255/.327/.413/.740, OPS +110

LM 1146 PA, .250/.339/.442/.781. OPS+ 110

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Here are more career stats that isolate the hitting of Mike Carp and Logan Morrison:

MC 608 PA, .255/.327/.413/.740, OPS +110

LM 1146 PA, .250/.339/.442/.781. OPS+ 110

that's more like it Hilliam!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think LoMo is questionable for the strat of the season:

Injury Report: Questionable for 4/1 against Washington (February 5, right knee surgery).

I think the Marlins would be looking for a better prospect or forty man roster player or two for him. Maybe Doubrount for LoMo and an A prospect Or  widen the trade to incliude Nolasco and LoMo for Doubie and one or two others. This might be Moon's three for two deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

One year younger. Much better minor league resume. Better k/bb rates. Better splits. Injured, which hurt Morrison's major league numbers. Otherwise they are about the same.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Sox have Overbay.  I don't think Sox getting involved seriously.  

I'm not keen on either, but I'd much prefer Carp on merit plus he has upside.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

It will  take a decent to good  A or AA or AAA prospect for Carp--and they should ask for a decent player. Carp has been targeted for much of the offseason by the Sox. Now that he's available they need to do what it takes to pick him up. He's better than Nava and better than Kalish. We need a lefthanded bat to platoon at  1 B and LF---let's figure out a way to get him. Don't wait for him to clear waivers; we'll lose him.

I suggest holding onto Gomez; we may need him sooner or later depending on Nap's and Ortiiz's health.

Yes, Gomez may come in handy if we need to lose games late this year as we did in 2012 to secure a bottom 10, protected draft pick position.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Overbay would be better than Gomez, who will NOT be able to replace either bat you suggest...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well I never expected this much conversation about Carp. Nor did I have any idea how much knowledge most of the folks who responded to this thread  had on the value of Mike Carp. I still don't get the WAR stat but then again I'm an old school kind of talent evaluator. I also don't spend every waking moment on the internet or engrossed in either Fangraphs.com or any other internet publications pertaining to stats. I do appreciate the good intel provided by all of you however so I would say the naysayers are in the lead so according to all of you it wouldn't be prudent for the Sox to persue Mike Carp.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Well I never expected this much conversation about Carp. Nor did I have any idea how much knowledge most of the folks who responded to this thread  had on the value of Mike Carp. I still don't get the WAR stat but then again I'm an old school kind of talent evaluator. I also don't spend every waking moment on the internet or engrossed in either Fangraphs.com or any other internet publications pertaining to stats. I do appreciate the good intel provided by all of you however so I would say the naysayers are in the lead so according to all of you it wouldn't be prudent for the Sox to persue Mike Carp.

the risk outweighs the reward, Unless they free up space on the 40 man then i would bite.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Mortensen has no options remaining according to soxprospects.com.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Mortensen has no options remaining according to soxprospects.com.

i wouldn't trade him for carp anyway