Mike Carp,do the sox claim him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Mike Carp,do the sox claim him?

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Kalish could go to the 60 day DL to fit him as well.

Carp is better vs. RHP than his stat line suggests and is an upgrade,  but not someone you break the bank for.

The Sox could offer something questionable but not worthless like Derrick Gibson and see who tops it.  Chances are no one will...

Seattle can't expect a great return for four years of Mike Carp (the AL Rookie of the Month in August 2011), but in outfielder Abraham Almonte the Mariners got a better return than outfielder Derrik Gibson for just three years of reliever Shawn Kelley.

Before the Mariners traded for Almonte on Wednesday, I had suggested that the Red Sox trade Keury de la Cruz or Manuel Margot for Carp because Seattle lacks outfield depth in the minors.

Pete Hissey then.

You might be overvaluing the appeal of Carp, much like you did with Trayvon Robinson when you suggedted Garin Cecchini as adequate return..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Kalish could go to the 60 day DL to fit him as well.

Carp is better vs. RHP than his stat line suggests and is an upgrade,  but not someone you break the bank for.

The Sox could offer something questionable but not worthless like Derrick Gibson and see who tops it.  Chances are no one will...

Seattle can't expect a great return for four years of Mike Carp (the AL Rookie of the Month in August 2011), but in outfielder Abraham Almonte the Mariners got a better return than outfielder Derrik Gibson for just three years of reliever Shawn Kelley.

Before the Mariners traded for Almonte on Wednesday, I had suggested that the Red Sox trade Keury de la Cruz or Manuel Margot for Carp because Seattle lacks outfield depth in the minors.

Pete Hissey then.

You might be overvaluing the appeal of Carp, much like you did with Trayvon Robinson when you suggedted Garin Cecchini as adequate return..

He has he think the Sox Prospects are overrated. The thing that he is forgetting is that once claim Mariners lose all leverage and won't get much.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

You are missing point the bump someone now and if doesn't work out DFA later

No, you are missing the point. I said there is no one I'm moving off the 40 man roster to make room to pay Carp for a "tryout". Since you would, please provide the name of the player you are taking off the 40 man roster, and the CBA provision you are going to use to do so. That way, a year or two down the road, we'll know exactly where you stood. Thank you, sir.

I would probably try to trade Aceves, he has no roll on this team. Also Dan Bulter could be DFA'd their is no reason to have 5 catchers on the roster. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Actually I take that back Kalish needs to go on the 60 day. Problem solved.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QOTE] Pete Hissey then.

You might be overvaluing the appeal of Carp, much like you did with Trayvon Robinson when you suggedted Garin Cecchini as adequate return...[/QUOTE]

I've never posted on the trade value of Trayvon Robinson (who was never a rumored trade candidate as a Seattle Mariner ... his trade for Robert Andino in November caught most everyone by surprise).

For what it's worth, Derrik Gibson and Peter Hissey are 23-year-old outfielders whose on-base percentages hovered just above and just below .300 with no power at Double A last season. For only three years of reliever Shawn Kelley, the Mariners obtained 23-year-old outfielder Abraham Almonte, who posted an OBP of .350 with little power in the same league in 2012.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

He has he think the Sox Prospects are overrated. The thing that he is forgetting is that once claim Mariners lose all leverage and won't get much.

Mike Carp's current status resembles Shawn Kelley's recent status in that respect (if I'm reading your confusing sentence correctly).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Mike Carp's current status resembles Shawn Kelley's recent status in that respect (if I'm reading your confusing sentence correctly).

They can't pull him back, I mean legaly can. If someone claim the Mariners are going to pretty much try to get what they can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

You are missing point the bump someone now and if doesn't work out DFA later

No, you are missing the point. I said there is no one I'm moving off the 40 man roster to make room to pay Carp for a "tryout". Since you would, please provide the name of the player you are taking off the 40 man roster, and the CBA provision you are going to use to do so. That way, a year or two down the road, we'll know exactly where you stood. Thank you, sir.

I would probably try to trade Aceves, he has no roll on this team. Also Dan Bulter could be DFA'd their is no reason to have 5 catchers on the roster. 

If he is claiming Carp, the 2 or 3 players are for a separate deal.

Anf the Sox could aquire anyone without a DFA once Kalish is transferred to the 60 day DL..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

They can't pull him back, I mean legaly can. If someone claim the Mariners are going to pretty much try to get what they can.

You need to distinguished "designated for assignment" from the "waivers" that may occur at the end of the 10-day DFA period.*

The Mariners have roughly seven days** to trade Mike Carp to any team before subjecting Carp to waivers.

Seattle traded reliever Shawn Kelley to the Yankees six days after designating Kelley for assignment. The Mariners were free to negotiate with any team during those six days. If Seattle had not found a trade partner for Kelley, the M's on about the seventh day would have needed to subject the righthander to the waiver wire.

Likewise, the Mariners are currently free to negotiate with any team for a trade of Mike Carp.

* http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/transactions-glossary/

**  A Player who is in the status of a “designated player” under Major League Rule 2(k) shall be unconditionally released or his contract assigned within 10 days after he is placed in the status. A Club must request the necessary waivers in a time frame that will allow it to unconditionally release or assign the player within the 10-day period. See Article XIX, Sec. G on Pages 83-84 of the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement: http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You need to distinguished "designated for assignment" from the "waivers" that may occur at the end of the 10-day DFA period.*

The Mariners have roughly seven days** to trade Mike Carp to any team before subjecting Carp to waivers.

Seattle traded reliever Shawn Kelley to the Yankees six days after designating Kelley for assignment. The Mariners were free to negotiate with any team during those six days. If Seattle had not found a trade partner for Kelley, the M's on about the seventh day would have needed to subject the righthander to the waiver wire.

Likewise, the Mariners are currently free to negotiate with any team for a trade of Mike Carp.

* http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/transactions-glossary/

**  A Player who is in the status of a “designated player” under Major League Rule 2(k) shall be unconditionally released or his contract assigned within 10 days after he is placed in the status. A Club must request the necessary waivers in a time frame that will allow it to unconditionally release or assign the player within the 10-day period. See Article XIX, Sec. G on Pages 83-84 of the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement: http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

I am aware of the rules, I doubt any team is going to trade for him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd try and make a 2 or 3 for one deal to make room for Tazawa on the 25 man roster, and if that opens a slot on the 40 man (if all 2 or 3 traded are from the 40 man roster, then yes, I'd claim Carp. 

I would not DFA Hassan for Carp. Gomez for Carp is a close call.

No, it's not a close call. But I have you down for offering 2 or 3 players for Carp. Noted.

What a clown. My 2 or 3 for one deal is not for Carp. It would be to go from quantity to quality and make room for Taz on the 25 man roster without having to DFA Mortensen or someone else. If the 2 or 3 players we traded were all from the 40 man, then we'd have room to "claim Carp"-- not trade for him.

Try taking a reading comprehension class. 

I pity your clients, if you are indeed a lawyer.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QOTE] Pete Hissey then.

You might be overvaluing the appeal of Carp, much like you did with Trayvon Robinson when you suggedted Garin Cecchini as adequate return...

I've never posted on the trade value of Trayvon Robinson (who was never a rumored trade candidate as a Seattle Mariner ... his trade for Robert Andino in November caught most everyone by surprise).

For what it's worth, Derrik Gibson and Peter Hissey are 23-year-old outfielders whose on-base percentages hovered just above and just below .300 with no power at Double A last season. For only three years of reliever Shawn Kelley, the Mariners obtained 23-year-old outfielder Abraham Almonte, who posted an OBP of .350 with little power in the same league in 2012.

[/QUOTE]

The Robinson post was pre-2012. Archives no longer exist or I would link it.

Kelley wss valued at 0.3WAR while Carp was 0.1 WAR in more playing time. Return should be less.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

A name that has been bantied about in the possible b/u's for the 1rst base position.

A big No, this team needs to get younger and raise their OBP big time before being considered a real contender.  We have enough of these type players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Kelley wss valued at 0.3WAR while Carp was 0.1 WAR in more playing time. Return should be less.

In 2012, Mike Carp was on the disabled list or in the minors from March 29 to May 1, June 11 to July 24, and August 14 to September 4. Shawn Kelley was in the majors for the entire season but for a stint at Triple A from August 17 to September 4.

Carp remains under team control for four years and Kelley for three years (including this season at a salary of $935,000). Despite less MLB service time, Carp has a career WAR of 1.1 while Kelley has a career WAR of 0.3

The only factor in Kelley's favor is that the righthander has one option remaining while Carp has none.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If Carp were a great defender I might feel differently, but I just do not see him as necessary in any way shape or form. 

When the Sox's negotiations with Napoli appeared stalled, it made sense to consider Carp as a good low cost/high reward risk.  He's young, takes the walks and has some pop at a position where the Sox have little young talent on the horizon, and at the time no starter for their lineup.  However, Napoli is here, Morneau is a year from FA.  The Sox have some high picks in the June draft.  No need to lose anyone from the 40 man just to bring in a guy who will hopefully not play (because there are better options already on the 25-man roster).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE] Pete Hissey then.

You might be overvaluing the appeal of Carp, much like you did with Trayvon Robinson when you suggedted Garin Cecchini as adequate return...

[QUOTE]I've never posted on the trade value of Trayvon Robinson (who was never a rumored trade candidate as a Seattle Mariner ... his trade for Robert Andino in November caught most everyone by surprise).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The Robinson post was pre-2012. Archives no longer exist or I would link it.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember ever posting on the trade value of Trayvon Robinson, but I would note that this pre-2012 prospect ranking had Robinson at No. 51 and Garin Cecchini at No. 70:

http://baseballinstinct.com/2011-top-100-prospects/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Pete Hissey then.

[QUOTE]The Robinson post was pre-2012. Archives no longer exist or I would link it.

I can't remember ever posting on the trade value of Trayvon Robinson, but I would note that this pre-2012 prospect ranking had Robinson at No. 51 and Garin Cecchini at No. 70:

http://baseballinstinct.com/2011-top-100-prospects/

I guess that shows what one year can do to trade value and negates Carp's August 2011 as a selling point.

If I had to make an honest prediction for a deal here, I could see Boston giving up former first rounder Kolbrin Vitek for Carp. I doubt they go much higher. The only question will be if anyone else offers more...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Carp was a Sox player right now, we'd here many posters saying he is too good to just give away.

He improved in AAA (.853 OPS and over 30 HRs per 650 PAs) and had 17 HRs in about 500 PAs the last 2 years in the bigs. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I guess that shows what one year can do to trade value and negates Carp's August 2011 as a selling point. 

If I had to make an honest prediction for a deal here, I could see Boston giving up former first rounder Kolbrin Vitek for Carp. I doubt they go much higher. The only question will be if anyone else offers more...

It also goes to show what the lapse of time can do the the trade value of 2010 first-rounder Kolbrin Vitek, 23-year-old thirdbaseman who posted an on-base percentage of .284 at Double A last year. I suspect Seattle will receive a better offer for Mike Carp.