Mike Lowell - a fan's dream

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Mike Lowell - a fan's dream

Ortiz mentions contract every year, and it divides the fans.

Lester mentions home town discount, and the fans can't even agree within 40% what that would be.

Mike Lowell put his money where his mouth is.

I just want to take a moment to refect on one of the most professional, and humble players to pass through Boston in quite some time.

We all know how he got to Boston...as part of the Hanley R/Beckett deal, the Sox were 'forced' to take him and his 7mil contract for the priviledge of acquiring Beckett.

In his contract year, he says nothing, goes out and plays...and turns out to be the WS MVP, and 5th in the overall MVP voting.

He wanted to be in Boston. He said it, everyone believed it. You could not possibly be riding a bigger wave of fan support at that time.

Sox offered 3/37.5. It was WIDELY reported the Phillies had a deal of about 4/48 on the table for him.

Again, we all know how it turned out. 

He took LESS money.

He took FEWER years.

Because he loved Boston. And he proved it.

He put his heart in Boston...then his body followed. His hip degenerated in front of us all. We saw teams challenge him with bunts, and we all saw him battle through the pain and play his mother fking a s s off. He starts losing time to the injury...and says nothing. THe Sox try to, and actually DO trade him...only for it to get reversed. And he says nothing. 

From wiki:

"Following the 2009 season, the Red Sox and Texas Rangers agreed to a deal that would send Lowell to Texas for catcher Max Ramirez. However, the deal was called off by the Rangers when they discovered that Lowell required surgery on his right thumb.[11] Lowell underwent a successful surgery on December 30.[12] He remained with the Red Sox and joined the team for Spring Training following rehabilitation on his surgically repaired thumb.[13] On April 10, 2010, Lowell announced that he would most likely retire after the 2010 season. In the 2010 season he played as a backup infielder at first and third base and as a pinch hitter. On August 3 after coming back from nearly 2 months on the disabled list, Lowell stepped into the batters box to a standing ovation at Fenway Park and hit a 2-run home run on the first pitch."

I don't know where Lester will end up when his playing days are over.

I know Papi will always be a God in Boston. But to many, like myself, his mouth has tarnished his own legend.

Mike Lowell will forever be remembered as I described him above: professional, humble, hard working. I have no doubt of his affinity for Boston. I will always put Lowell on a pedestal with the Sox greats for how he played, and how he conducted himself. If 04 was Ortiz' year. 07 was equally Lowell's.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: Mike Lowell - a fan's dream

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester mentions home town discount, and the fans can't even agree within 40% what that would be.

I just want to take a moment to refect on one of the most professional, and humble players to pass through Boston in quite some time.

We all know how he got to Boston...as part of the Hanley R/Beckett deal, the Sox were 'forced' to take him and his 7mil contract for the priviledge of acquiring Beckett.

In his contract year, he says nothing, goes out and plays...and turns out to be the WS MVP, and 5th in the overall MVP voting.

He wanted to be in Boston. He said it, everyone believed it. You could not possibly be riding a bigger wave of fan support at that time.

Sox offered 3/37.5. It was WIDELY reported the Phillies had a deal of about 4/48 on the table for him.

He took LESS money.

He took FEWER years.

He put his heart in Boston...then his body followed. His hip degenerated in front of us all. We saw teams challenge him with bunts, and we all saw him battle through the pain and play his mother fking a s s off. He starts losing time to the injury...and says nothing. THe Sox try to, and actually DO trade him...only for it to get reversed. And he says nothing. 

From wiki:

"Following the 2009 season, the Red Sox and Texas Rangers agreed to a deal that would send Lowell to Texas for catcher Max Ramirez. However, the deal was called off by the Rangers when they discovered that Lowell required surgery on his right thumb.[11] Lowell underwent a successful surgery on December 30.[12] He remained with the Red Sox and joined the team for Spring Training following rehabilitation on his surgically repaired thumb.[13] On April 10, 2010, Lowell announced that he would most likely retire after the 2010 season. In the 2010 season he played as a backup infielder at first and third base and as a pinch hitter. On August 3 after coming back from nearly 2 months on the disabled list, Lowell stepped into the batters box to a standing ovation at Fenway Park and hit a 2-run home run on the first pitch."

I know Papi will always be a God in Boston. But to many, like myself, his mouth has tarnished his own legend.

Mike Lowell will forever be remembered as I described him above: professional, humble, hard working. I have no doubt of his affinity for Boston. I will always put Lowell on a pedestal with the Sox greats for how he played, and how he conducted himself. If 04 was Ortiz' year. 07 was equally Lowell's.

[/QUOTE]

I loved this guy and still enjoy seeing in the park once in a while.  I started to tell a Mike Lowell story on another thread.  He went for a foul ball that was out of reach.  The fans in the front row were looking back and lowell snatched one of their cell phones.  Orsillo saw and and the camera stayed on the fans.  The owner of the cell was accusing everyone of taking his cell.  Orsillo was cracking up and after the inning Lowell walked back and handed the cell to the fan. The fan and everyone cracked up laughing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

this is awesome but you cannot expect every boston player to do this. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No one expects other players to follow another's mold.  I think the majority of fans don't want to hear a player complaining about only making 15 million from the team when he also picking about a nice peice of change in endorsements.  Then in attempt to promote a new sponsor with a dog on his lap, brings up the contract talks to bring attention to the new sponsor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

He took LESS money.

He took FEWER years.

From wiki:

[/QUOTE]though he did take knocks from a few here after his last year, can't remember the posters involved, it lasted about two days....he was a total pro..even after leaving the Yanks, he remained one of my favorite people in the game..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

jeteofan:

Lowell took knocks before he came here. The deal to send Hanley to the Marlins and bring Josh and Mike here was done by Ben Cherrington.  Theo left the sox because he felt he was not getting enough respect. There was a lot of talk that Lowell was thrown into the trade and would not do much.

Mike gave a lot of interviews in his time here and never said the wrong thing, but I am sure someone will now post a link proving me wrong. Lowell was always seen around town and always a fan favorite.

Mike played hard which added to his hip problems. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

“I’ve gone through adversity most guys don't have to face.”

sounds like whining to me....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

jeteofan:

Lowell took knocks before he came here. The deal to send Hanley to the Marlins and bring Josh and Mike here was done by Ben Cherrington.  Theo left the sox because he felt he was not getting enough respect. There was a lot of talk that Lowell was thrown into the trade and would not do much.

Mike gave a lot of interviews in his time here and never said the wrong thing, but I am sure someone will now post a link proving me wrong. Lowell was always seen around town and always a fan favorite.

Yet, when Ortiz plays hard and it leads to an achilles problem you took to the boards to spew that it's a sign of roid usage.

Just like you said yesterday, his paranoia is associated with roid usage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jeteofan:

[/QUOTE]

Yet, when Ortiz plays hard and it leads to an achilles problem you took to the boards to spew that it's a sign of roid usage.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he belives half of the crap he posts, but pot-stirrers rarely do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jeteofan:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of parrot ;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

He took LESS money.

He took FEWER years.

From wiki:

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this! I have always liked Mike Lowell. I think he is one of the all time popular Sox players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jeteofan:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of parrot ;-)

[/QUOTE]

I think that was more of an opinion, than parrotting ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

jeteofan:

[/QUOTE] steven, i'm aware..and also leaving...i was here for both ends...i know about how Lowell was considered no more than a throw-in with the Beckett deal, he came up with the Yanks, so im familiar with exactly the kind of person Lowell is..until his health issues took front and center, there was no doubt a lot of the posters here loved him 
    but the fact remains that he drew criticism here when he was leaving...i mean it wasn't a war or anything, he was defended plenty, even by the Yank fans :-) like i said i have total respect for him.. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jeteofan:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of parrot ;-)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course it was...lol..but when I shared my opinion on another thread..I was called someone's parrot...so of course I couldn't resist pointing out to 4B that he also agrees with his share of posters ;-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Of course it was...lol..but when I shared my opinion on another thread..I was called someone's parrot...so of course I couldn't resist pointing out to 4B that he also agrees with his share of posters ;-)

[/QUOTE]

No, you asked if your posts about Ortiz constituted racism.

So, I answered.

If you don't think you'll like the answer, don't ask the question.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Lest we forget in the midst of heaping Stand Up Awesome Guy praise on Mike Lowell, the bookends:  how many on this very board completely dismissed him and blew up Theo for taking on his contract as part of the Beckett deal AND, much more egregious, how quick many were to run him out of town on a spit the minute his hip started to give out.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jeteofan:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of parrot ;-)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People should probably keep the discussion to current comments and not one's which can be proven or unproven.  Another reason why I have a few on my ignore list.  Going back in time is usually what angry people who cannot keep on topic, resort to doing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Lest we forget who started the trashing of Lowell... it was Softy.  A few other sheep got on Softy's bandwagon but IIRC most of us were defending Lowell even after he retired.

My Mike Lowell story:

My daughter and her husband were attending a Sox game at The Trop and had seats near the field and between the Sox dugout and home plate.  Both of them were decked out in Red Sox gear.

When the game was over they were relishing being there (if one can relish being at The Trop - but that's another story) when they heard someone saying, "Psst...Hey!"  It was Mike Lowell leaning over the rail with a baseball in his hand and motioning like he was going to toss it to them.

My daughter looked at him and responded as she would with, "aughhheeehhheyty" but my son in law had presence of mind enough to cup his hands to catch the ball.  When they looked up after catching it Lowell was gone and they had a ball in their hands that was autographed, "Mike Lowell #25". 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lest we forget who started the trashing of Lowell... it was Softy.  A few other sheep got on Softy's bandwagon but IIRC most of us were defending Lowell even after he retired.

My Mike Lowell story:

My daughter and her husband were attending a Sox game at The Trop and had seats near the field and between the Sox dugout and home plate.  Both of them were decked out in Red Sox gear.

When the game was over they were relishing being there (if one can relish being at The Trop - but that's another story) when they heard someone saying, "Psst...Hey!"  It was Mike Lowell leaning over the rail with a baseball in his hand and motioning like he was going to toss it to them.

My daughter looked at him and responded as she would with, "aughhheeehhheyty" but my son in law had presence of mind enough to cup his hands to catch the ball.  When they looked up after catching it Lowell was gone and they had a ball in their hands that was autographed, "Mike Lowell #25". 

[/QUOTE]

Lovely.  Thats what baseball is all about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This.

That said, Lowell was pure class, always. Wish we could clone a guy like that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jeteofan:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of parrot ;-)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People should probably keep the discussion to current comments and not one's which can be proven or unproven.  Another reason why I have a few on my ignore list.  Going back in time is usually what angry people who cannot keep on topic, resort to doing.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have anyone on your ignore list....it's a comment you use to change the subject and get the heat of of you :-)

Going back in time is what one does when dealing with a pathological liar.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

My Mike Lowell story:

[/QUOTE] sweet!!!.....warms my heart to know we raised such a fine young man Tongue Out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

My Mike Lowell story:

[/QUOTE]

awesome!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

My Mike Lowell story:

good stuff S5

just curious

were as upset or more upset

at the time about loosing ham ram as U were about loosing iggy ;-)

how bout now