Mike Lowell - a fan's dream

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: Mike Lowell - a fan's dream

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lest we forget in the midst of heaping Stand Up Awesome Guy praise on Mike Lowell, the bookends:  how many on this very board completely dismissed him and blew up Theo for taking on his contract as part of the Beckett deal AND, much more egregious, how quick many were to run him out of town on a spit the minute his hip started to give out.  

[/QUOTE]

The only problem is theo had no part of this deal.  He left fenway in the gorilla suit and while he was away from the team, ben pullled the trigger on this deal.  I knew enough about Mike to know that he would be an asset.  I remember talk radio bashing the deal and sure some on this forum did as well.

I also remember the deal to trade Mike away falling thru and how nice it was to see him homer after being away for a while.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lest we forget in the midst of heaping Stand Up Awesome Guy praise on Mike Lowell, the bookends:  how many on this very board completely dismissed him and blew up Theo for taking on his contract as part of the Beckett deal AND, much more egregious, how quick many were to run him out of town on a spit the minute his hip started to give out.  

[/QUOTE]

The only problem is theo had no part of this deal.  He left fenway in the gorilla suit and while he was away from the team, ben pullled the trigger on this deal.  I knew enough about Mike to know that he would be an asset.  I remember talk radio bashing the deal and sure some on this forum did as well.

I also remember the deal to trade Mike away falling thru and how nice it was to see him homer after being away for a while.

[/QUOTE]

Right, I always forget the brief Gorilla Sabbatical.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right, I always forget the brief Gorilla Sabbatical.

[/QUOTE]

one of theo's finer moments. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this is awesome but you cannot expect every boston player to do this. 

[/QUOTE]

That's debateable.

I can certainly HOPE for it from every single one. And what I'm hoping for is NOT for every player to bow to Boston and take less to play here...what I want, hope, and yes, EXPECT, is just some simple honesty. I'll never forget Ted Washington...played 1 year for the Pats and was a quick fan-favorite. Helped win a title. Then left for a better contract in Oakland. His quote, "I'm just an older guy trying to get what I can." Oakland guaranteed him almost 4x the money NE did. I will never forget that, Ted Washington was an ultimate professional in football in his pursuit of money at the end. 

And for those that DO act in such a way, I will always elevate them because of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

When Lowell was a free agent after the 2007 season (in which he was the World Series MVP), didn't he take less money and years to stay with the Red Sox?  I think the Phillies offered him more money and years. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ortiz mentions contract every year, and it divides the fans.

Lester mentions home town discount, and the fans can't even agree within 40% what that would be.

Mike Lowell put his money where his mouth is.

I just want to take a moment to refect on one of the most professional, and humble players to pass through Boston in quite some time.

We all know how he got to Boston...as part of the Hanley R/Beckett deal, the Sox were 'forced' to take him and his 7mil contract for the priviledge of acquiring Beckett.

In his contract year, he says nothing, goes out and plays...and turns out to be the WS MVP, and 5th in the overall MVP voting.

He wanted to be in Boston. He said it, everyone believed it. You could not possibly be riding a bigger wave of fan support at that time.

Sox offered 3/37.5. It was WIDELY reported the Phillies had a deal of about 4/48 on the table for him.

Again, we all know how it turned out. 

He took LESS money.

He took FEWER years.

Because he loved Boston. And he proved it.

He put his heart in Boston...then his body followed. His hip degenerated in front of us all. We saw teams challenge him with bunts, and we all saw him battle through the pain and play his mother fking a s s off. He starts losing time to the injury...and says nothing. THe Sox try to, and actually DO trade him...only for it to get reversed. And he says nothing. 

From wiki:

"Following the 2009 season, the Red Sox and Texas Rangers agreed to a deal that would send Lowell to Texas for catcher Max Ramirez. However, the deal was called off by the Rangers when they discovered that Lowell required surgery on his right thumb.[11] Lowell underwent a successful surgery on December 30.[12] He remained with the Red Sox and joined the team for Spring Training following rehabilitation on his surgically repaired thumb.[13] On April 10, 2010, Lowell announced that he would most likely retire after the 2010 season. In the 2010 season he played as a backup infielder at first and third base and as a pinch hitter. On August 3 after coming back from nearly 2 months on the disabled list, Lowell stepped into the batters box to a standing ovation at Fenway Park and hit a 2-run home run on the first pitch."

I don't know where Lester will end up when his playing days are over.

I know Papi will always be a God in Boston. But to many, like myself, his mouth has tarnished his own legend.

Mike Lowell will forever be remembered as I described him above: professional, humble, hard working. I have no doubt of his affinity for Boston. I will always put Lowell on a pedestal with the Sox greats for how he played, and how he conducted himself. If 04 was Ortiz' year. 07 was equally Lowell's.

[/QUOTE]

Great post!!!

The guy was a true professional and a joy to watch.  He took pride in his work and did his job well.  He liked his team and was great to the fans.

He spared us from all the drama that we are sometimes subjected too.  

He came to the sox as an extra but never complained about being disrespected.  He didn't mouth off to the press, use curse words or break phones.  All he did was his job and what a job he did!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Remember this story?  Fans were waiting in line for tickets when lowell and pedroia brought food to them.  Nice!

The diehards won the unwavering support of at least two players, third baseman Mike Lowell and second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who came out Friday night and fed the frenzy by bringing out some Mexican food from La Verdad.

"They're class acts," said Jon Mallows, a 35-year-old resort sales agent from Tyngsboro, about the players' gesture. "They came out here. They took a couple of pictures and they signed a couple of autographs just to say, 'Hey, we appreciate it.' I think that acknowledgement just shows what a class act they both are.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this is awesome but you cannot expect every boston player to do this. 

[/QUOTE]

That's debateable.

I can certainly HOPE for it from every single one. And what I'm hoping for is NOT for every player to bow to Boston and take less to play here...what I want, hope, and yes, EXPECT, is just some simple honesty. I'll never forget Ted Washington...played 1 year for the Pats and was a quick fan-favorite. Helped win a title. Then left for a better contract in Oakland. His quote, "I'm just an older guy trying to get what I can." Oakland guaranteed him almost 4x the money NE did. I will never forget that, Ted Washington was an ultimate professional in football in his pursuit of money at the end. 

And for those that DO act in such a way, I will always elevate them because of it.

[/QUOTE]

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My Mike Lowell story:

good stuff S5

just curious

were as upset or more upset

at the time about loosing ham ram as U were about loosing iggy ;-)

how bout now

[/QUOTE]

Hoping...but not promising Innocent that this will be my last post on this topic as I'm trying to put it behind me....

No, I wasn't as upset when HanRam got traded.  For one thing I felt we got good value for the trade - and that was BEFORE Lowell became our starting 3B.  Also remember that at that time Sanchez was just a prospect and one with a history of surgery.  So I really liked the trade.

HanRam had developed a reputation for being somewhat of a loose cannon so I was actually glad to see him leave, especially when we were getting Beckett in return.  

Again, and I don't know how many times I can say this, my problem with the Iggy trade wasn't so much about the 2013 season, it was about the future.  Even now I see the team going into 2014 with a SS who's unproven defensively.  

All during the talk about re-signing Drew I kept thinking that if Iggy were still with the team this wouldn't be an issue.  The issue would be who is going to play 3B, and I'd rather have the 3B debate than the same debate about SS.

I know.. I'm in the minority.  I can live with that. 

As for now, I still like the trade although we did lose both HanRam AND Sanchez.  I see Bogarts becoming another HanRam [without the attitude], an adequate SS who can hit.  (I'd rather have a great SS who can't hit, but that's just me!)  IMO Sanchez was the bigger loss in the trade but I chalk that up to not every facet of every trade being good. And we DID get several good seasons out of Beckett.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lest we forget who started the trashing of Lowell... it was Softy.  A few other sheep got on Softy's bandwagon but IIRC most of us were defending Lowell even after he retired.

My Mike Lowell story:

My daughter and her husband were attending a Sox game at The Trop and had seats near the field and between the Sox dugout and home plate.  Both of them were decked out in Red Sox gear.

When the game was over they were relishing being there (if one can relish being at The Trop - but that's another story) when they heard someone saying, "Psst...Hey!"  It was Mike Lowell leaning over the rail with a baseball in his hand and motioning like he was going to toss it to them.

My daughter looked at him and responded as she would with, "aughhheeehhheyty" but my son in law had presence of mind enough to cup his hands to catch the ball.  When they looked up after catching it Lowell was gone and they had a ball in their hands that was autographed, "Mike Lowell #25". 

[/QUOTE] sweet!!!.....warms my heart to know we raised such a fine young man Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.  Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Hoping...but not promising Innocent that this will be my last post on this topic as I'm trying to put it behind me....

good luck with that S5 ;-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

good luck with that S5 ;-)

[/QUOTE]

As long as guys like you don't provoke me, I'm fine!  Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When Lowell was a free agent after the 2007 season (in which he was the World Series MVP), didn't he take less money and years to stay with the Red Sox?  I think the Phillies offered him more money and years. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the phillies offered him more.  I don't think Mike mentioned contract talks at all to the media, at least not in front of cameras.  I thought he was gone for sure to Philly but wasn't surprised when he took less money and one less year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remember this story?  Fans were waiting in line for tickets when lowell and pedroia brought food to them.  Nice!

The diehards won the unwavering support of at least two players, third baseman Mike Lowell and second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who came out Friday night and fed the frenzy by bringing out some Mexican food from La Verdad.

"They're class acts," said Jon Mallows, a 35-year-old resort sales agent from Tyngsboro, about the players' gesture. "They came out here. They took a couple of pictures and they signed a couple of autographs just to say, 'Hey, we appreciate it.' I think that acknowledgement just shows what a class act they both are.

[/QUOTE]

Pedroia will go down as one of the greatest Sox of all time. Only one time has he said anything I thought innappropriate...but it was about and directed at Valentine, so he kind of gets a pass because Valentine was one of the biggest jokes in the Sox history...fkin Lucchino.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At least that is what moonslobber57 says about Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

Name-calling another poster - not cool.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Valentine was one of the biggest jokes in the Sox history...fkin Lucchino.

[/QUOTE]

Cursing a member of the best front office in team history - not cool.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

so if the poster calls me "a fool" I cannot make a simplistic name call like "slobber" ? 

[/QUOTE]

Did he directly call you a fool?  I didn't see that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

Ortiz mentions contract every year, and it divides the fans.

Lester mentions home town discount, and the fans can't even agree within 40% what that would be.

Mike Lowell put his money where his mouth is.

I just want to take a moment to refect on one of the most professional, and humble players to pass through Boston in quite some time.

We all know how he got to Boston...as part of the Hanley R/Beckett deal, the Sox were 'forced' to take him and his 7mil contract for the priviledge of acquiring Beckett.

In his contract year, he says nothing, goes out and plays...and turns out to be the WS MVP, and 5th in the overall MVP voting.

He wanted to be in Boston. He said it, everyone believed it. You could not possibly be riding a bigger wave of fan support at that time.

Sox offered 3/37.5. It was WIDELY reported the Phillies had a deal of about 4/48 on the table for him.

Again, we all know how it turned out. 

He took LESS money.

He took FEWER years.

Because he loved Boston. And he proved it.

He put his heart in Boston...then his body followed. His hip degenerated in front of us all. We saw teams challenge him with bunts, and we all saw him battle through the pain and play his mother fking a s s off. He starts losing time to the injury...and says nothing. THe Sox try to, and actually DO trade him...only for it to get reversed. And he says nothing. 

From wiki:

"Following the 2009 season, the Red Sox and Texas Rangers agreed to a deal that would send Lowell to Texas for catcher Max Ramirez. However, the deal was called off by the Rangers when they discovered that Lowell required surgery on his right thumb.[11] Lowell underwent a successful surgery on December 30.[12] He remained with the Red Sox and joined the team for Spring Training following rehabilitation on his surgically repaired thumb.[13] On April 10, 2010, Lowell announced that he would most likely retire after the 2010 season. In the 2010 season he played as a backup infielder at first and third base and as a pinch hitter. On August 3 after coming back from nearly 2 months on the disabled list, Lowell stepped into the batters box to a standing ovation at Fenway Park and hit a 2-run home run on the first pitch."

I don't know where Lester will end up when his playing days are over.

I know Papi will always be a God in Boston. But to many, like myself, his mouth has tarnished his own legend.

Mike Lowell will forever be remembered as I described him above: professional, humble, hard working. I have no doubt of his affinity for Boston. I will always put Lowell on a pedestal with the Sox greats for how he played, and how he conducted himself. If 04 was Ortiz' year. 07 was equally Lowell's.

[/QUOTE]

I know that I will always appreciate Mikey and what he did for US. 

He was all that the WIKI said and more.

For US.

But Mikey wasn't appreciated elsewhere with what - at that time - was seen as an albatross of a contract and that he was overpaid compared to his production.

Just because WE could afford him as a throw in with the Beckett deal, which worked out quite well for us, if we remember correctly, didn't mean he wasn't an issue elsewhere.  Quite the opposite.

I appreciate what Papi has done, too.  And I don't have any problems with his mouth, as you say.  That, so paraphrase and clean up an earlier line, is "Papi being Papi!"  But he never wavered in is support for Boston, the city or the team.  To put a plug in his mouth so that you can appreciate his greatness from the quiet of your pwn home or the din of noise from your own drinking hole speaks more of YOUR desire than his.

The last I checked, David lives in a free society where personal opinion, no matter how it is expressed, is valued.

In THIS Boston, on THIS team - BIg Papi, well deserved, all day, all Papi!

I love Mikey.  I loved watching him play.  I loved Papi, too, and expect the Dominican pirate to hoist up his colors and speak his mind. 

If you want quiet and unifomity, there's a team in NY that REQUIRES everyone to be the same, from hair cuts on down.  You might visit NYC SAMENESS sometime ...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Right on, since yaz.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the phillies offered him more.  I don't think Mike mentioned contract talks at all to the media, at least not in front of cameras.  I thought he was gone for sure to Philly but wasn't surprised when he took less money and one less year.

[/QUOTE]

Hello steven11   Laughing

I was glad to have Lowell stay with the Red Sox.  The Beckett/Lowell for Hanley trade with the Marlins helped both clubs.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Right on, since yaz.

[/QUOTE]

Time for the beards again - LOL!

Just wore that T-shirt yesterday. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I appreciate what Papi has done, too.  And I don't have any problems with his mouth, as you say.  That, so paraphrase and clean up an earlier line, is "Papi being Papi!"  But he never wavered in is support for Boston, the city or the team.  To put a plug in his mouth so that you can appreciate his greatness from the quiet of your pwn home or the din of noise from your own drinking hole speaks more of YOUR desire than his.

The last I checked, David lives in a free society where personal opinion, no matter how it is expressed, is valued.

In THIS Boston, on THIS team - BIg Papi, well deserved, all day, all Papi!

I love Mikey.  I loved watching him play.  I loved Papi, too, and expect the Dominican pirate to hoist up his colors and speak his mind. 

If you want quiet and unifomity, there's a team in NY that REQUIRES everyone to be the same, from hair cuts on down.  You might visit NYC SAMENESS sometime ...

[/QUOTE]

So Papi's opinions are expressed and valued in this free country, but sharing mine speaks poorly of my character. Interesting take...not at all objective, but interesting.

Also, your desciption of NYY is silly. You're confusing clean shaven with quiet and uniform. 

Was Paul ONeill quiet and uniform?

Arod?

George Bell?

Joba?

Clemens?

OH, right...I've seen this before...going back to 2009...I have an unpopular opinion, and it's "go root for the yankees then". Mature. Insightful.

THe funniest when was I argued AGAINST spending money, and people said "go root for the yankees then" Ummmm, what?

THAT is was 'pink hat' is. You don't even understand what you're saying, you just want to be part of the fun, and anyone pointing out any flaws in that is simply bad. Do I think that's you, specifically? Not usually, but definitely sometimes.

25. This post has been removed.