mike lowell for manager

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redavid. Show redavid's posts

mike lowell for manager

I know, and maybe start him off as one of the coachs is more reasonable, but, he knows the media, knows the players, has respect, demands a high level of play, etc. He has more together than alot of the candidates, including understanding the katin players (huge in my opinion). Just a thought

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: mike lowell for manager

In Response to mike lowell for manager:
    I know, and maybe start him off as one of the coachs is more reasonable, but, he knows the media, knows the players, has respect, demands a high level of play, etc. He has more together than alot of the candidates, including understanding the katin players (huge in my opinion). Just a thought
    Posted by redavid

No ex Boston players as manager who may be friends with current elders.  The loyalty game has grown very old with keeping guys like Drew, Tek and Wake.

Out with the old and in with fresh hungry players.  Papi I would try and keep along with Scuter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Posted by redavid

I like the idea of Lowell as manager, and Eckersly as pitching coach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Some day, but he needs to get some experience in the minors...

Hey, if the other Sox signed Ventura...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

How about they hire a manager with some experience like Pena, and let Lowell be the bench coach. Even though he played with most of these guys he did earn respect from them and he would retain that as their coach too.

I'm not really sure that Eckersley would be interested in or even make a good pitching coach...I'd extend that offer to Schilling first because he'd definitely not take any crap from any of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Sox need a strong Pitching/Catcher coaches...I like to see Schilling teach the
    Cutter...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by redavid
      GOOD THOUGHT..... I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING WHEN I SAW HIM ON ESPN LAST NIGHT.......  I THINK THAT HE COULD DO IT !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Leadership
    Beltre/Lowell/VMart all gone.  Time to restock some actual good leaders who are respected. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Posted by redavid

While I LOVE LOWELL, i thought I heard he wasn't the brightest bulb on the planet?

I may have that wrong, but I heard that somewhere????

I think I'd still love that move though!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I don't think Mike Lowell wants to coach. Earlier in the year, he appeared in a few NESN pre-game shows and seemed rather blase about his interest in baseball. He's somewhat like Keith Foulke, in that he enjoys playing the game but isn't a fan of it, or someone who wants to be a baseball lifer. He said he doesn't even watch baseball or keep up with the sport too closely. He checks in with players he cares about, and that's it.

Curt Schilling for pitching coach intrigues me. I love his enthusiasm for the game. He's very diligent and thorough, as evinced by the meticulous notes he keeps. He would take the job seriously and wouldn't tolerate any nonsense. He'd command instant respect and credibility because of his own successful career. He's a self-avowed statman, which should endear him to ownership. I only see three problems:

1. He's been critical of John Henry. Judging by the hit pieces Henry fed to the media about Francona (and just wait for the same stories to come out about Epstein soon), I think ownership may be too vindictive to bring anyone on board who doesn't kowtow to its every whim.

2. He has preexisting relationships with some of the current players. Among pitchers under contract for 2012 and beyond, he was teammates with Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, and Daisuke Matsuzaka. Other players from the '04 and/or '07 squads still under contract for next year and beyond are Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis, and Jacoby Ellsbury. Whether we like it or not, one or more of ex-teammates Jason Varitek, David Ortiz, Tim Wakefield, and Jonathan Papelbon may return. Would these guys accept being coached (and probably bullied) by someone who was once their peer? Would Schilling show favoritism to some of these players? When Ozzie Guillen first took the manager's job in Chicago, he became a superior to former teammate Frank Thomas. I recall a story about how that didn't work out too well. Granted, pitching coach is a little different than manager, and Schilling isn't quite as "colorful" as Guillen. Maybe it would be okay.

3. Schilling might not be interested. Is there any evidence whatsoever that he wants to return to the clubhouse? I recall a few instances in '07 and '08 when he said he couldn't foresee wanting to be involved in the day to day operations of a baseball team as anything other than a player.

At the very least, Schilling should be on the list of pitching coach candidates. John Farrel was decent, I suppose, Curt Young clearly failed. Instead of going for another retread, I'd like to see a creative choice for pitching coach.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

A new manager usually brings in a new coaching staff.      Never could figure out what Curt Young did.     He looked like a cardboard cutout that was put in the dugout before the start of games.

No surprise if Theo names Demarlo Hale as the next manager of the Cubs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrRoarke. Show MrRoarke's posts

Mike Lowell for manager!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Mike Lowell said he gets bored watching the same team all the time. He just likes to watch his friends play. Yeah, not exactly manager material.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: mike lowell for manager:
    How about they hire a manager with some experience like Pena, and let Lowell be the bench coach. Even though he played with most of these guys he did earn respect from them and he would retain that as their coach too. I'm not really sure that Eckersley would be interested in or even make a good pitching coach...I'd extend that offer to Schilling first because he'd definitely not take any crap from any of them.
    Posted by Soxdog67

Schilling wouldn't need to take any crap from anyone, he's already too full of his own crap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The OP is nuts.  The Sox need him as a player and team leaders as he was in 2006, when he kept playing hard despite the disastrous August, and 2007 when the Sox won another WS and Lowell was the WS MVP.  But of course he can no longer play. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Sox need a strong Pitching/Catcher coaches...I like to see Schilling teach the Cutter...
    Posted by beavis

Schilling may be a good choice as a pitching coach.  Many former MLB pitchers may be good pitching coaches.  Not sure they have the desire to coach. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Posted by redavid

Anyone who is chosen as the manager has to have coaching experience first. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Hi Susan, What page is that on in the potential manager's handbook? 
    Francona had experience......nuff said.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to mike lowell for manager : Anyone who is chosen as the manager has to have coaching experience first. 
    Posted by susan250

Really, all the criteria that is needed is good leadership ability. Anyone that motivate people to excel is the ticket!

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts