Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse

from NESN.com:

Mike Lowell has been around the baseball block quite a few times. He's been around the block in Boston, too, so there isn't much the former third baseman hasn't seen.

Keeping that in mind, Lowell is just the person you'd want to talk to about all of the drama, allegations and everything else that has surrounded the Sox in the last month or so.

Lowell was a guest on the Dan LeBatard Radio Show on Friday, and he was asked about the rumored beer drinking that allegedly went on in the Red Sox clubhouse this season.

"If they're not pitching and they're just folded up on the bench or the table and just drinking beer, I think someone needs to be spoken to," Lowell said. "The video games, I think is something that's unacceptable. If you can't give me three hours, do you really need to play video games and drink beers for three hours?"

However, Lowell said that a pitcher heading up to the clubhouse for a couple of innings isn't something that necessarily bothers him if it's not for too long.

"If a non-throwing pitcher comes in [to the clubhouse] in an 8-2 game and pops [a beer] open in the eighth inning, I'm not gonna have a huge problem about it.

"If they're not supporting their teammates and it's the third inning, and they're frat house-type style, I think there's a problem.

"I never saw it, so if I hear a pitcher is in the clubhouse for two innings, that's fine, I just don't want a pitcher in their for six innings -- what if we have a brawl? I wanna feel supported by the pitcher just like I'm sure the day he's pitching he wants to be supported by everyone else."

Lowell also talked about policing a clubhouse from within, something that he admits he's done in the past. As a teammate of Red Sox pitcher Josh Beckett in both Florida and Boston, Lowell admitted that he's spoken to Beckett before, someone he claims is a good friend of his. Of course, Lowell used Beckett purely as an example, though.

"I've jumped [Beckett's] ship a couple of times," Lowell explained. "I've gotten on him a couple of times. Sometimes you gotta know if the guy's mature enough to be told something. If you say something to someone and turn him off, are you really creating something that's positive? 

"That's the whole Manny Ramirez thing. Grady Little tried, and benched him for seven days in 2003, and he lost him for three weeks."

Lowell also made sure to mention that had the Red Sox gone on to win the World Series, this probably wouldn't be a story at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse

Sorry Mike, I respect you as a total professional, but have to totally disagree with you on this one...... Where else in the adult world is drinking on the job ever acceptable? Not that it doesn't happen...... I won't even dignify adults playing video games instead of being part of the game they are being paid for.

OK, maybe the prices for admission to Fenway have gotten so high that only the CEO's of Fortune 500 companies can afford a seat. Maybe some of those guys are used to a 2 or 3 Martini lunches, but the people boycotting Wall St would have us all believe they are only 1% of the population. That leaves most of us drinking our beer off the clock.

How does a "non throwing" pitcher ever know if his manager may want to use him for any reason in a 8-2 game?  Does the manager need to first ask the bull pen coach which reliever is sober enough to warm up? How as a batter would I feel wondering if the guy who just came in, in a blow out, may have been popping a few just before he came in to throw balls in my direction at 90+ MPH? 
      Are we soon going to see Congress demanding random blood alcohol tests along with random steroid testing?  Where does the Player's Association come down on this on??   A little drinking during a game is OK ??   My God baseball needs more cleaning up than I ever imagined!!

Hey maybe this has been going on forever in baseball, and most of us never knew. But to me if the guys we are paying millions to can't discipline themselves enough wait until after a three hour game to have a beer or two, then there is no way they are disciplined enough to do the hard work necessary to be called professionals in my book.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse:
    [QUOTE]  Sorry Mike, I respect you as a total professional, but have to totally disagree with you on this one...... Where else in the adult world is drinking on the job ever acceptable? Not that it doesn't happen...... I won't even dignify adults playing video games instead of being part of the game they are being paid for.   OK, maybe the prices for admission to Fenway have gotten so high that only the CEO's of Fortune 500 companies can afford a seat. Maybe some of those guys are used to a 2 or 3 Martini lunches, but the people boycotting Wall St would have us all believe they are only 1% of the population. That leaves most of us drinking our beer off the clock.   How does a "non throwing" pitcher ever know if his manager may want to use him for any reason in a 8-2 game?  Does the manager need to first ask the bull pen coach which reliever is sober enough to warm up? How as a batter would I feel wondering if the guy who just came in, in a blow out, may have been popping a few just before he came in to throw balls in my direction at 90+ MPH?    Are we soon going to see Congress demanding random blood alcohol tests along with random steroid testing?  Where does the Player's Association come down on this on??   A little drinking during a game is OK ??   My God baseball needs more cleaning up than I ever imagined!!   Hey maybe this has been going on forever in baseball, and most of us never knew. But to me if the guys we are paying millions to can't discipline themselves enough wait until after a three hour game to have a beer or two, then there is no way they are disciplined enough to do the hard work necessary to be called professionals in my book.  
    Posted by tetonman50[/QUOTE]
    You nailed it exactly! The gripes on the Occupy Wall Street are too numerous to put into one simple sentence. But if I could try it might be...earn your millions honestly and give the public your best shot with the money, time, sweat or support they gave you. Be that in corporate America or the playing field. Everything is beginning to STINK beyond what people will tolerate. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I fully appreciate Mike's input.

I agree, there really isn't any need for not popping the top during the game.  And video games really show your head is somewhere else besides supporting your team.

The brawl part I thought was interesting.  Now that is taking support to the chin!  :o)

I wonder if there is anyone crazy enough to look through video tapes to see how often and how long the sipposed big three offenders were gone from the dugout. 

I don't know how team mates couldn't have known.  Fenway's dugout and clubhouse aren't exactly spacious. 

Knowing that Beckett has had to be addressed before doesn't surprise me.  But I always hope he would mature.  It seemed as if he was this season -until the blow up at the end.

I think - just me thinking - that adding Lackey to the picture somehow added one diva too many to the mix and they fed off each other's egocentricity.

Too bad.  Josh was doing so well.

::  ::  ::

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Maybe we need to take his comments and put them into perspective...he left as a bitter player at the end ansd today is also part of the media...I too loved what the guy brought to the table and how many times di someone have to sit him down and give him a chat about playing the game the right way? I'm pretty sure that every player at one poijnt of antother needs a little kick in the AZZ

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : Good Post! The majority of Fans, work their tail off to go to a Ballpark to support their team. Im sure the Ownership, and Players, are going to see (or not see), different attitudes towards them in the coming season from the Fans.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

It would be interesting to survey the fans at a Fenway game and find out how many games they attend during the season. I've often wondered if the majority are from far away and it is their big event for the year or do many keep coming back week after week?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]  How does a "non throwing" pitcher ever know if his manager may want to use him for any reason in a 8-2 game?  Does the manager need to first ask the bull pen coach which reliever is sober enough to warm up?   

This statement shows quite abit of ignorance about baseball. The relievers are in the bullpen, not the dugout. No reliever ever leaves the bullpen. And certainly at Fenway, there's no way for the relievers to get to the clubhouse from the bullpen. The non-throwing pitchers are starters who know quite well that they're not going to be pitching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : It would be interesting to survey the fans at a Fenway game and find out how many games they attend during the season. I've often wondered if the majority are from far away and it is their big event for the year or do many keep coming back week after week?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Season ticket sales would tell you a lot right away.

The rest would take a little more time to compile. 

Where I live, trips to Philly, NY and Boston are all big family or friend deals.  A few times a season at the most - usually one.  Philly most, NY next and Boston was less.  But they still go.  (There ARE fewer Boston fans, so that's natural.)

::  ::  ::  ::

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I wonder if there is anyone crazy enough to look through video tapes to see how often and how long the sipposed big three offenders were gone from the dugout.

Sadly, I am positive that there is a forum member doing just that, right now. Hopefully it is Babe, Softlaw or Pike and we won't hear from them until....oh, say next July, when they are done viewing all the tape from the 162 games last year.Laughing 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Mike Lowell for manager!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Bean, If you take Lowell's comments at face value and leave out the ad hominem stuff and speculation about "how many times someone had to sit him down" 
    ( which implies reprimand beyond instruction ), he makes very good sense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Mike Lowell for manager!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if there is anyone crazy enough to look through video tapes to see how often and how long the sipposed big three offenders were gone from the dugout. Sadly, I am positive that there is a forum member doing just that, right now. Hopefully it is Babe, Softlaw or Pike and we won't hear from them until....oh, say next July, when they are done viewing all the tape from the 162 games last year.  
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

:o)  Like it ..

Egads, I mistyped supposed.   ...  I can't believe that ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Bean, If you take Lowell's comments at face value and leave out the ad hominem stuff and speculation about "how many times someone had to sit him down"  ( which implies reprimand beyond instruction ), he makes very good sense.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

All that not withstanding it still reaks of piling on to me...Just another of the former players trying to speak to issues that like all are speculating on what they percive vs actually being in the room and having frist person knowledge...

Now if Mike want's to share with us his feelings on the demise of the 2009 Sox then to me he has credibility having been in the room...

I get the showing support for the team by being on the bench and again, I think too much is being made of the lockeroom issue...unless they were having a kegger!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : All that not withstanding it still reaks of piling on to me...Just another of the former players trying to speak to issues that like all are speculating on what they percive vs actually being in the room and having frist person knowledge... Now if Mike want's to share with us his feelings on the demise of the 2009 Sox then to me he has credibility having been in the room... I get the showing support for the team by being on the bench and again, I think too much is being made of the lockeroom issue...unless they were having a kegger!
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Disagree strongly with you. Mike does not claim to have "first-person knowledge" of what happened in the Sox 2011 clubhouse. ( You seem to know that he must have been "sat down" and told how to play the game right." ) He discusses the subject at issue in measured tones and with many qualifications. He is "piling on" no one. He says if X was done or Y was not done, mistakes were made. His long experience as a very successful ML player more than qualifies him to make such an analysis and such judgments. 
    You do not know enough about what did or did not happen in the clubhouse to arrive at the conclusion that "too much is being made of the lockeroom issue. Even if you knew more, what qualifies you to decide whether too much ( or too little, for that matter ) is being made of the issue?
    Your "having a kegger" comment is ridiculous. Short of that, let 'er rip?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : This statement shows quite abit of ignorance about baseball. The relievers are in the bullpen, not the dugout. No reliever ever leaves the bullpen. And certainly at Fenway, there's no way for the relievers to get to the clubhouse from the bullpen. The non-throwing pitchers are starters who know quite well that they're not going to be pitching.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Oh come on Roy, "ignorance about baseball"!!!!! 

So you want to split hairs on this subject?  OK, I'll bite.   

Your right, if me, and I assume others are just learning that it is OK for ANY member of any team to be drinking beers any time during a game, NO MATTER WHERE, the club house, bull pen, or any other place, then your 100% right I am totally ignorant about baseball.  

I foolishly just always assumed professionals work during working hours, and relax when work is over. 

Is it really too much to ask any player who knows that he will not be on the field that day to give 100% attention to a game for 3 hours without needing a beer in his hand to do so?  

Like I said maybe this goes on all over baseball in every team....... But then no team ever embarrassed itself like ours did this year, so maybe it's time for a change in attitude at least in Boston?  

BTW I do find it rather amusing how after division series when they showed clips in the Detroit locker room of their victory celebration AFTER THE GAME WAS OVER, they mentioned how they were using ALCOHOL FREE Champaign to spray around.  Maybe some of us, certainly me included, are just jumping to conclusions thinking our pitchers were not also drinking alcohol free beer !!!!!!!  But then when your ignorant, you do tend to jump to wrong conclusions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : Disagree strongly with you. Mike does not claim to have "first-person knowledge" of what happened in the Sox 2011 clubhouse. ( You seem to know that he must have been "sat down" and told how to play the game right." ) He discusses the subject at issue in measured tones and with many qualifications. He is "piling on" no one. He says if X was done or Y was not done, mistakes were made. His long experience as a very successful ML player more than qualifies him to make such an analysis and such judgments.  You do not know enough about what did or did not happen in the clubhouse to arrive at the conclusion that "too much is being made of the lockeroom issue. Even if you knew more, what qualifies you to decide whether too much ( or too little, for that matter ) is being made of the issue? Your "having a kegger" comment is ridiculous. Short of that, let 'er rip?
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Here's goes...

I've listened to Lowell, Garciaparra, Schilling and every other big leaguer that's sits behind a mike speak to each incident that's been reported by the press that helped lead to the teams demise...All of them certainly have more insight than I regarding what is and is not acceptable behavior in a big league clubhouse...However like me none of them actually were in the clubhouse and I take exception to Lowell's comment about having to have tough love conversations with Beckett while not explaining what was in fact discussed and how those conversations had anything to do with what may or may not have transpired in the Sox clubhouse this year specifically where Beckett was involved...

My having a kegger comment is quite valid regardless of whether you think so or not. The reference was to the perception that the Sox clubhouse was and is being depicted as frat house where the pitchers were drinking beer, playing video games and eatin fried chicken. instead of sitting on the bench ansd supporting thier team..Which if indeed that was happening it had to have been facilitated by the manager and the pitching coach...

I take exception to reports that take liberty with the truth...having a beer is different than drinking to intoxicating levels which is what is being implied, hence my reference to the kegger...once a pitcher is done for the day and is not scheduled to pitch that day and has done all of his side work I also don't see a problem with hanging out in the club house if the manager and the pitching coach don't ahve a probblem with it...there all adults

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe we need to take his comments and put them into perspective...he left as a bitter player at the end ansd today is also part of the media...I too loved what the guy brought to the table and how many times di someone have to sit him down and give him a chat about playing the game the right way? I'm pretty sure that every player at one poijnt of antother needs a little kick in the AZZ
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Exactly right.  Every time things get ugly in Boston, the old whiners with axes to grind like Nomar come out and pretend they were treated so badly and all those awful stories about the things they did weren't true. Liars.  Manny... now Lowell too?  Who didn't love Lowell?  But he left town riding that same poor me, entitled BS line when management dared to not use him after he was physically unable to perform, and no other team would take him for free. 

I'd expect Lowell to become another go-to interview every time media wants another bash Sox article.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

"I never saw it, so if I hear a pitcher is in the clubhouse for two innings, that's fine, I just don't want a pitcher in their for six innings -- ."

Wow, so even NESN.com "writers" don't know the difference between "there" and "their" either?

At what point did illiterate bloggers replace actual professional writers?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse :   Oh come on Roy, "ignorance about baseball"!!!!!    So you want to split hairs on this subject?  OK, I'll bite.          Your right, if me, and I assume others are just learning that it is OK for ANY member of any team to be drinking beers any time during a game, NO MATTER WHERE, the club house, bull pen, or any other place, then your 100% right I am totally ignorant about baseball.     I foolishly just always assumed professionals work during working hours, and relax when work is over.    Is it really too much to ask any player who knows that he will not be on the field that day to give 100% attention to a game for 3 hours without needing a beer in his hand to do so?     Like I said maybe this goes on all over baseball in every team....... But then no team ever embarrassed itself like ours did this year, so maybe it's time for a change in attitude at least in Boston?      BTW I do find it rather amusing how after division series when they showed clips in the Detroit locker room of their victory celebration AFTER THE GAME WAS OVER, they mentioned how they were using ALCOHOL FREE Champaign to spray around.  Maybe some of us, certainly me included, are just jumping to conclusions thinking our pitchers were not also drinking alcohol free beer !!!!!!!  But then when your ignorant, you do tend to jump to wrong conclusions.

I never said a word whether it is right or wrong for them to be drinking beer in the clubhouse.

I just pointed out how stupid you look by making it sound like Lowell said it was OK for pitchers to drink in the clubhouse if there's a chance they might have to pitch, which means relief pitchers. You made the idiotic jump that that relief pitchers were going to head to the clubhouse and get blasted then come back to pitch.

I'm not splitting hairs. You're the one who twisted Lowell's words.

Why is it so difficult to make your case simply and straightforward instead of making ridiculous leaps? If you think that's every player should stay in the dugout for the entire game, simply make that case. Why do you have make the idiotic statement, "Does the manager need to first ask the bull pen coach which reliever is sober enough to warm up? How as a batter would I feel wondering if the guy who just came in, in a blow out, may have been popping a few just before he came in to throw balls in my direction at 90+ MPH?"

You come across as a typical troll who simply wants to throw fuel on the fire instead of having a legitimate discussion.

For the record: 

Do I think it's OK for players to have a beer in the clubhouse after a game?

Yes.

Do I think it's OK for players to do what the Sox players are rumored to have done adn that's drink beer and hang out in the clubhouse during the game?

Absolutely not.

Do I think it's OK for player who have already been taken out of the game or any of the starting pitchers in the dugout to on occasion, head to the clubhouse after the eighth inning of a blowout as Lowell said?

Over the course of 162 games, it's hardly something that would be a common occurance, so I don't think it's a big deal. If they're doing their work, playing hard, etc., heading to the clubhouse what basically would be a few minute early -- whether they pop a beer or not or simply get a jump on taking a shower or getting any treatment from the trainer -- is hardly a big deal or being unprofessional.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Little story, roy, you would probably remember this as a long time fan:
    There was a column condemning Pedro, who after the 7th inning of a start that he was replaced in, went and got showered, dressed and left park. Dan railed on and on about Pedro being a diva, that he let down his team, that he needed to be there at the finish to root his team on, and be a real team player. I don't question that opinion, as I think all players should be there at the finish as part of a "team."
    Here's what blew me away...a several years earlier, he wrote a column about the time that Roger Clemens finished his start in the 8th inning of a game, showered, dressed, jumped into a taxi, took a plane or something and got to a charitable event that he agreed to participate in. He was hailed a hero, hailed a saint, and cheered on by Dan for this action. He did no different than Pedro, however. He left the park before the game was decided. He let his team down, but for whatever reason, Pedro is a "diva" and Clemens a "saint." Of course, this is the same guy who Clemens befriended his daughter during his daughter's illness. Seems to me there's a massive double standard. Just throwing that out there that even the media has its own perceptions of right and wrong, and it's not always right or wrong. He never should have written the Pedro piece, as he seemed to be quite aware of Clemens situation, and only speculated on Pedro leaving. The fact remains that some ballplayers, pitchers, often do shower and dress and go on to other things when they have in effect stopped working for that particular day. I don't agree with it, but it happens.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Little story, roy, you would probably remember this as a long time fan: There was a column condemning Pedro, who after the 7th inning of a start that he was replaced in, went and got showered, dressed and left park. Dan railed on and on about Pedro being a diva, that he let down his team, that he needed to be there at the finish to root his team on, and be a real team player. I don't question that opinion, as I think all players should be there at the finish as part of a "team." Here's what blew me away...a several years earlier, he wrote a column about the time that Roger Clemens finished his start in the 8th inning of a game, showered, dressed, jumped into a taxi, took a plane or something and got to a charitable event that he agreed to participate in. He was hailed a hero, hailed a saint, and cheered on by Dan for this action. He did no different than Pedro, however. He left the park before the game was decided. He let his team down, but for whatever reason, Pedro is a "diva" and Clemens a "saint." Of course, this is the same guy who Clemens befriended his daughter during his daughter's illness. Seems to me there's a massive double standard. Just throwing that out there that even the media has its own perceptions of right and wrong, and it's not always right or wrong. He never should have written the Pedro piece, as he seemed to be quite aware of Clemens situation, and only speculated on Pedro leaving. The fact remains that some ballplayers, pitchers, often do shower and dress and go on to other things when they have in effect stopped working for that particular day. I don't agree with it, but it happens.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Starting pitchers indeed shower right away when taken out of a game, but remember -- most of the time they're having their shoulders wrapped in ice so it simply saves them from having to hang around longer at the end of a game. I have no problem with that. Sometimes you see them back in the dugout with their jacket half on covering their wrapped shoulder. They shouldn't be leaving the park, however. Pedro deserved to be ripped for that. I don't know how often he did that or when it started, but that was my big problem with Pedro at the end. He indeed turned into a thin-skinned Diva. 

I'm not sure it's a double-standard concerning Clemens. If it was a one-time deal that had team-approval that they knew he was going to leave right away after he was taken out of the game so he could make that charity event, then I can't put that in the same category as what Pedro did.

Although let me add. If what Pedro did was a one-time thing, then too much certainly was made of it. If it was a habit, then Pedro deserved the criticism.

And it's not just the media who have their "own perceptions of right and wrong." You read this board. We all do. There's not really anything wrong with that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joylaw. Show joylaw's posts

The Sox will have several coach openings shortly.  Filling either the first base or third base coaching box with Mike Lowell would be a sound move.  He is an adult in a kids game, a bridge between the players and the manager whoever he might be.