Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse

I think everyone is missing the point, the point is, if they are drinking beer and eating chicken to the point where it is expanding their waist lines making it difficult for them give the effort needed to pitch at the top of their game, then it's a problem.

I don't know about anyone else, but I saw the before and after pictures of the starting five, and it sure looks like they all gained quite a bit of weight during the season.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : I never said a word whether it is right or wrong for them to be drinking beer in the clubhouse. I just pointed out how stupid you look by making it sound like Lowell said it was OK for pitchers to drink in the clubhouse if there's a chance they might have to pitch, which means relief pitchers. You made the idiotic jump that that relief pitchers were going to head to the clubhouse and get blasted then come back to pitch. I'm not splitting hairs. You're the one who twisted Lowell's words. Why is it so difficult to make your case simply and straightforward instead of making ridiculous leaps? If you think that's every player should stay in the dugout for the entire game, simply make that case. Why do you have make the idiotic statement, "Does the manager need to first ask the bull pen coach which reliever is sober enough to warm up? How as a batter would I feel wondering if the guy who just came in, in a blow out, may have been popping a few just before he came in to throw balls in my direction at 90+ MPH?" You come across as a typical troll who simply wants to throw fuel on the fire instead of having a legitimate discussion. For the record:  Do I think it's OK for players to have a beer in the clubhouse after a game? Yes. Do I think it's OK for players to do what the Sox players are rumored to have done adn that's drink beer and hang out in the clubhouse during the game? Absolutely not. Do I think it's OK for player who have already been taken out of the game or any of the starting pitchers in the dugout to on occasion , head to the clubhouse after the eighth inning of a blowout as Lowell said? Over the course of 162 games, it's hardly something that would be a common occurance, so I don't think it's a big deal. If they're doing their work, playing hard, etc., heading to the clubhouse what basically would be a few minute early -- whether they pop a beer or not or simply get a jump on taking a shower or getting any treatment from the trainer -- is hardly a big deal or being unprofessional.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy,   Please,  take a moment and read what you wrote below: 

"You come across as a typical troll who simply wants to throw fuel on the fire instead of having a legitimate discussion."

You suggest I come across as a typical troll, and suggest I want to throw fuel on a fire..... This is after you first called me ignorant.  And now you have the gall to suggest it's ME who is not interested in a legitimate discussion????? 

If YOU had any interest in a legitimate discussion you certainly could have asked me to explain my original comments, before you said my first post showed me to be ignorant.. 

Before I go on here let me first say at least now that you have taken a moment to state your position on this subject it seems to me your position and mine are not at all far apart. I think we could have gotten to this same place without the name calling.

We both seem to agree that the beer drinking should wait until after the game is over.   I like you basically have no problem with a player who has been in a game especially a starting pitcher late in a game heading to the clubhouse instead of sitting on the bench.  As you point out there can be some very real legitimate reasons for that.   But popping beers, or playing video games at anytime during a game........ Sorry I simply don't see how that's good for team spirit as well as other things.  When the game is OVER, fine to both.

But can you show me where I twisted Mike Lowell's actual words??  Or did I simply ask a series of questions based on these revelations that today may sound as ridiculous, as the very idea that beer drinking and video game playing during a game was ever allowed, may have sounded a few weeks ago?  Right now nothing would surprise me.

I think many of us long time Red Sox fans ( certainly that includes me)  are shell shocked to hear all we are hearing.  If even half is true it's far worse than I ever imagined. If some of us lifetime fans ( in my case over 50 years) feel the dysfunction of this team has not only disgraced themselves, their manager, their owners, and us fans,  but also hurt the long proud tradition of baseball in Boston I would hope people like you could first try to understand that hurt, rather then to first stoop to insults.

Sorry if I offended you with the way I first voiced my disgust, but there is so much wrong right now we all have a right to feel offended. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : Roy,   Please,  take a moment and read what you wrote below:  "You come across as a typical troll who simply wants to throw fuel on the fire instead of having a legitimate discussion." You suggest I come across as a typical troll, and suggest I want to throw fuel on a fire..... This is after you first called me ignorant.  And now you have the gall to suggest it's ME who is not interested in a legitimate discussion?????  If YOU had any interest in a legitimate discussion you certainly could have asked me to explain my original comments, before you said my first post showed me to be ignorant..  . 
    Posted by tetonman50[/QUOTE]

I have little patience for exageration and hyperbole so I called you out on it. I responded to what you posted -- isn't that a discussion? -- and when you twist what Lowell posted into saying that Francona had to worry if any relievers (who else would be asked to pitch late in a blowout) were sober enough to pitch, it takes away from any legitimate point you might have.

Again, I don't understand why posters feel the need when they make their points to make such leaps or exagerations or twisting of words or meaning, etc. Most who do that are more interested in throwing grenades rather than get involved in any meaningful discussion.

If that's not you, fine, but like I said, I don't understand why you had to make such a leap.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

seems that people get tired of negativity, that is quite understandable. However it wrong just to assume or label someone who's primary focus is on the negative things in life to label them trolls or bashers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]seems that people get tired of negativity, that is quite understandable. However it wrong just to assume or label someone who's primary focus is on the negative things in life to label them trolls or bashers.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

It's not the opinion that bothers me.

I have a short fuse when someone makes the ridiculous leaps or exagerations or in other cases makes up facts or simply states wrong facts just to make a point. I feel the same way even if I agree with their main point -- positive or negative.

I've been fairly consistent about that over the years. I'd rather someone post something negative that I disagree with but do so in an honest, rational way than post something I agree with or positive and do so in an unitelligent way where they're making things up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Mike Lowell, who finds it boring to watch one team all the time and prefers to just watch his friends play on different teams, should just keep quiet. For him to throw out Beckett's name when he doesn't even play for the Sox anymore, and wasn't in the clubhouse is nonsense. If he's a friend of Josh, like he says he is, Josh needs to find new friends.

I still remember the guy who could barely make it to first base, insisting he be kept in the game. I wonder if anyone had to give him a talk when he was on the team. And yes, anyone who complains about Wakefield saying that Sox fans wanted to see him get his record, should also have also complained about Lowell wanting to play his last season when he clearly wasn't healthy enough to do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Bean,
    Go get a report that comes close to implying that the pitchers were getting sloshed in the clubhouse. Of course, you think your kegger comment is quite valid. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous.In fact, it makes it more ridiculous.
    Short of sloshed is still OK with you? How much short? 
    "There [ sic ] all adults." Really, that seems to be what is at issue here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Lowell, who finds it boring to watch one team all the time and prefers to just watch his friends play on different teams, should just keep quiet. For him to throw out Beckett's name when he doesn't even play for the Sox anymore, and wasn't in the clubhouse is nonsense. If he's a friend of Josh, like he says he is, Josh needs to find new friends.   I still remember the guy who could barely make it to first base, insisting he be kept in the game. I wonder if anyone had to give him a talk when he was on the team. And yes, anyone who complains about Wakefield saying that Sox fans wanted to see him get his record, should also have also complained about Lowell wanting to play his last season when he clearly wasn't healthy enough to do it.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

At least he was willing to play hurt. Can't say the same for most of the others guys, except maybe Scutaro.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spartacus2011. Show Spartacus2011's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : At least he was willing to play hurt. Can't say the same for most of the others guys, except maybe Scutaro.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Lowell places the blame on Theo Epstein.
    Total agreement.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : I have little patience for exageration and hyperbole so I called you out on it. I responded to what you posted -- isn't that a discussion? -- and when you twist what Lowell posted into saying that Francona had to worry if any relievers (who else would be asked to pitch late in a blowout) were sober enough to pitch, it takes away from any legitimate point you might have. Again, I don't understand why posters feel the need when they make their points to make such leaps or exagerations or twisting of words or meaning, etc. Most who do that are more interested in throwing grenades rather than get involved in any meaningful discussion. If that's not you, fine, but like I said, I don't understand why you had to make such a leap.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy,  OK I've got it. You've got little patience for hyperbole, yet think calling someone who offended you by using such, ignorant, or a troll, makes for a legtimate discussion?

For what it's worth to you I also have little patience for, nor do I either understand why, some people are so intolerant of other's comments that they cannot take the moment it takes to address them in an adult fashion, before they start the name calling.  

As you say, if that is not you fine!! But I like you do not understand why you had to make your leap and call me ignorant first.  Especially since as we have since seen for the most part we agree.

God don't we see enough of this silliness in Washington?

I am sure you like me are very disappointed in how our season ended. Could we possibly have imagined such an end last spring?   But no matter how some of us express our frustration, it's all rooted in the same place.   I have no interest in throwing any grenades in any direction other than the Red Sox front office to hope they understand that all that we are learning needs to be properly addresses ASAP. 

On a positive note I am confident that 2012 will end far better for us than 2011 did...... Even if we fail to win the division, or even make the play offs.

If the way I voiced my frustrations offeneded you I am sorry, and will try to be mindful that right now in Red Sox Nation, there are many raw nerves. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Bean, Go get a report that comes close to implying that the pitchers were getting sloshed in the clubhouse. Of course, you think your kegger comment is quite valid. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous.In fact, it makes it more ridiculous. Short of sloshed is still OK with you? How much short?  "There [ sic ] all adults." Really, that seems to be what is at issue here.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

ex it's apparant that we're seeing this through a different prisism...All I am saying is that if a current member of the team (player, coach or front office employee) that bared witnesses to the event and or were part of a group that were charged with managing all parties concerned and puts their name on it want's to go on record with his accounts of what did or didn't happen regarding the Sox clubhouse. Then I wouldn't have a problem with whatever is stated...

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots that there were troubling issues surrounding the team that may have contributed to morale problems and might have been factors in their demise...

However when former players speak to an issue that they don't have first hand knowledge of and then offers an opin on a hypothetical senerio ( if I were there). Which is being presented as a fact, or evidence of facts. I dismiss the veracity of the comments out of hand...The press has made far more out of this that is there and all of the players above are now part of the media and are doing there job fanning the fire...

Regarding the consumption of alchohol...1 is too many in my mind however what we don't know and probably will never know is what was the rule for consumption under Francona...Did he in fact have to disipline the players involved and after disiplining them did the behavior v continue?

Lowell's opin is just that, his...Mine is just that, mine..both of us are entitled...if my opin differs from your then that is also fine...In my mind this entire ordeal is being blown out of proportion and former players like Lowell are merely fanning the fire in the interest of entertainment...no more no less...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : Roy,  OK I've got it. You've got little patience for hyperbole, yet think calling someone who offended you by using such, ignorant, or a troll, makes for a legtimate discussion? For what it's worth to you I also have little patience for, nor do I either understand why, some people are so intolerant of other's comments that they cannot take the moment it takes to address them in an adult fashion, before they start the name calling.   As you say, if that is not you fine!! But I like you do not understand why you had to make your leap and call me ignorant first.  Especially since as we have since seen for the most part we agree. God don't we see enough of this silliness in Washington? I am sure you like me are very disappointed in how our season ended. Could we possibly have imagined such an end last spring?   But no matter how some of us express our frustration, it's all rooted in the same place.   I have no interest in throwing any grenades in any direction other than the Red Sox front office to hope they understand that all that we are learning needs to be properly addresses ASAP.  On a positive note I am confident that 2012 will end far better for us than 2011 did...... Even if we fail to win the division, or even make the play offs. If the way I voiced my frustrations offeneded you I am sorry, and will try to be mindful that right now in Red Sox Nation, there are many raw nerves. 

Read my posts again -- I didn't call you flat out ignorant nor a troll.

In both cases, I said that's how your comments looked. I didn't say you're a troll for posting what you did. I said when you have to resort to overstatements, that's how you come across.

Maybe you think I'm splitting hairs, but I feel there is a difference. By phrasing it the way I did, I'm purposely giving you the benefit of the doubt that maybe your not, but by the way you made your point, that's how you came across to me.

The same thing with ignorant. Perhaps that wasn't the best way of phrasing it, but again, I didn't say you're ignorant about baseball, because frankly, that would have been an overreach on my part. That would have been a leap.

Look at what I wrote -- This statement shows quite a bit of ignorance about baseball. I specifically directed it at your comment, not at you, and like I said, there is a difference.

It was that description on your statement about relievers getting hammered. It made it sound like you thought relief pitchers wander around the dugout and clubhouse and are not in the bullpen, which if you thought that would show a lack of knowledge about baseball, and I followed up with how I disagreed. Posters who simply get on here to name-call and insult someone, don't do that. 

Like I said, perhaps I could have phrased it differently, but in both cases I was describing how you were making your arguments.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Bean,
    Nope. I'm still waiting for you to produce an accusation from a credible source that the boys were even tipsy. You're defending them against a charge that was never made. 
    Lowell was saying how he thinks things should be -- and he gives examples of situations. ( An excellent teaching method. ) He has the authority that comes from long first-hand experience in the game. He makes no claim to having first-hand experience of Boston's Club House Follies this season. He wasn't spinning anything. Did you really say that you are as entitled as he to an opinion on this issue? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Roy,

I know from your sign off you have "never been wrong" but maybe this time your just not 100% right??  You say below:

"The same thing with ignorant. Perhaps that wasn't the best way of phrasing it, but again, I didn't say you're ignorant about baseball, because frankly, that would have been an overreach on my part. That would have been a leap."

"Look at what I wrote -- This statement shows quite a bit of ignorance about baseball. I specifically directed it at your comment, not at you, and like I said, there is a difference."

Roy, I made the comment that you go on to say shows ignorance about baseball.
    Logically, if I made the statment that you say "shows quite a bit of ignorance about baseball" how is that any different then saying I who made that statement, am ignorant about baseball??? 

Your very right, you could have phrased that a LOT better.... For starters you could have asked me to explain myself better.

OK I think we have beaten this into the ground.  I have told you that I am sorry if the way I chose to voice my frustrations with the revelations we are hearing offened you....... And I honestly am because I think all us Sox fans should at least be able to interact civily with each other.

Your way of voicing your frustrations with my post deeply offened me, a very long time, and very dedicaterd Sox fan. I'll leave it up to you to decide if anything more should be said on this subject.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : At least he was willing to play hurt. Can't say the same for most of the others guys, except maybe Scutaro.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]Plenty to whine about with Lackey but he played all year hurt. A-Gon played the lat 5 weeks hurt. Pedroia played in pain all year. Youk tried to play with a sports hernia.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : Plenty to whine about with Lackey but he played all year hurt. A-Gon played the lat 5 weeks hurt. Pedroia played in pain all year. Youk tried to play with a sports hernia.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Lackey might have been hurt all year. We really don't know. He was in May.
    I doubt he'll divulge anything relating to his elbow given the clause in his contract.

I wasn't aware Pedey said he was in pain all year. I think he was very concerned until he got doctor clearance that he was fit to ride. His hitting tear coincided with that news.

Youk was definitely hurt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

There was terrible flood. My dog ate my bats.

Lowell was a joke for not retiring in 2010. He wasn't in 2011 clubhouse.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Roy, I know from your sign off you have "never been wrong" but maybe this time your just not 100% right??  You say below: "The same thing with ignorant. Perhaps that wasn't the best way of phrasing it, but again, I didn't say you're ignorant about baseball, because frankly, that would have been an overreach on my part. That would have been a leap." "Look at what I wrote -- This statement shows quite a bit of ignorance about baseball. I specifically directed it at your comment, not at you, and like I said, there is a difference." Roy, I made the comment that you go on to say shows ignorance about baseball. Logically, if I made the statment that you say "shows quite a bit of ignorance about baseball" how is that any different then saying I who made that statement, am ignorant about baseball???  Your very right, you could have phrased that a LOT better.... For starters you could have asked me to explain myself better. OK I think we have beaten this into the ground.  I have told you that I am sorry if the way I chose to voice my frustrations with the revelations we are hearing offened you....... And I honestly am because I think all us Sox fans should at least be able to interact civily with each other.   Your way of voicing your frustrations with my post deeply offened me, a very long time, and very dedicaterd Sox fan. I'll leave it up to you to decide if anything more should be said on this subject.

I offended you. Geez sorry I hurt your feelings. You didn't offend me with what you wrote. I just disagreed with what I thought was a dumb overstatement.

But whatever.

I'll just end by saying that by you bringing up my signature shows that maybe it's you that needs to lighten up. If you can't understand that it's tongue in cheek, then I guess I was wasting my time trying to mend fences.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : Lackey might have been hurt all year. We really don't know. He was in May. I doubt he'll divulge anything relating to his elbow given the clause in his contract. I wasn't aware Pedey said he was in pain all year. I think he was very concerned until he got doctor clearance that he was fit to ride. His hitting tear coincided with that news. Youk was definitely hurt.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]I have read somewhere that Lackey is going to see Dr Yocum this week. Fill in the blanks on that one. Cortisone shot, horribly bad all year, seeing an elbow specialist? And I don't think at this point Lackey is worried about having a team option kick in for an extra year at the MLB minimum in 2015 which is all that will happen if he misses time for surgery on that elbow.

At the time Pedey found out he was "cleared" it was reported that he would have pain all year and it wasn't going to get better until he had the screws removed at the end of this season but he could not do any further damage to it.

That's why I mentioned those guys. I am sure there were others that at this point we will never hear about because chicken and beers and a whole lot of other stuff is just more interesting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Injury excuses are annual post hoc. The chicken and beer is at least original. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Better excuses than your lame attempts at pretending you were right on your oh for 100 position record this year. 

Your TB wont go away diversions are now legendary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

TB went away. Red Sox historic collapse. TB lost 2 out of 3 to O's and 3 out of 4 to Yankees in last 2 weeks of season. Only Yankee collusion AAA debacle allowed bad Rays team in playoffs with lowest win total in nearly a decade, and they were quickly exposed.

Yankees and all those old guys you claimed would break down won the division. 

You and your Wakefield and Varitek nonsense and claims Inepstein would return is a total laughing stock.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

TB went away. Red Sox historic collapse. TB lost 2 out of 3 to O's and 3 out of 4 to Yankees in last 2 weeks of season. Only Yankee collusion AAA debacle allowed bad Rays team in playoffs with lowest win total in nearly a decade, and they were quickly exposed. 

Continuing drivel and diversion. Exposed? As in outscoring the Rangers?

Yankees and all those old guys you claimed would break down won the division. 

As did you.

You and your Wakefield and Varitek nonsense and claims Inepstein would return is a total laughing stock.

Always diverting to Wake and Vtek, two of the finest back-ups in MLB.

Inject a new lie. When did I ever say Theo would be back? My posts are here. I don't get banned. 

More diversions from the fact that you were wrong about TB. You know damn well I never said Tb would do anything more than compete closely for the WC until the very end of the regular season. You said they'd win 87-89 games and the WC winner would win 94+. You were too chicken to make a call on who the WC would be, and now pretend to have known the Yanks would win the division.

You want it both ways.

Theo and Tito stink and the Sox got what they deserved, but then you say the Sox were very good but collapsed and allowed TB in the backdoor. You might fool yourself, but here you are exposed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Wakefield and Varitek and need to get what they deserve. 

You expose yourself as an Inepstein homey. No one buys your last few days convert. You are always out to lunch.

Wakefield as #5 starter, what a joke! His ceremonial tour of 2011 cost the Red Sox a playoff spot!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Lowell speaks about Sox clubhouse : I offended you. Geez sorry I hurt your feelings. You didn't offend me with what you wrote. I just disagreed with what I thought was a dumb overstatement. But whatever. I'll just end by saying that by you bringing up my signature shows that maybe it's you that needs to lighten up. If you can't understand that it's tongue in cheek, then I guess I was wasting my time trying to mend fences.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy

And just as clearly it seems you could not grasp that my original post was just as "tongue in cheek." as your signiture.  That entire post  was full of comments ( and YES exaggerations )  that were really saying/asking "What will we see, or find out next?"   There was nothing in my post that actually claimed any of what I was saying was actual fact. It was all "tongue in cheek". 

The fact is we all from time to time use exaggerations in everyday life.  Could I have ask those "tongue in cheek questions" in a better way?????? Sure!!  There is ALWAYS a better way.

If your wondering why it is I am not just letting go here, it's simple.  Blogging and other otherwise anonymous methods of communication have made it very simple for all of us to sit comfortably in our homes, safely behind a monitor, and feel comfortable to say things to each other in manners we might chose not to use face to face.

I have no problem at all if you agree or disagree with me, my comments, or even how I make my comments. Nor do I care if in the end I am right or wrong. I just honestly feel we should be able to discuss our thoughts and yes even our disagreements, in a less confrontational manner. 

Sorry if you feel I need to lighten up........ And I am just as sorry if I also feel it is NEVER a waste of time to try to mend fences, no matter how long, or how much effort it takes............ Which I would hope you can understand is all I am trying to do here!!!!!!!!

So I guess I'll try to make as clear as I can, I am offering you my hand here........