Mike Morse

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Mike Morse

In response to jasko2248's comment:

The Sox need a "left" handed bat who can play a little first base and some outfield.  Morse is a solid player, but he doesn't make any sense for this team since he is "right" handed.  Since there seems to be a lot of teams that are in on him, it's probably not a good idea to overpay for a guy who doesn't really fit at all. 

Is your post ASSUMING that the Sox sign Napoli?? Because there is no deal done with him yet.

If Napoli deal happens then you are right that a LH batter who plays 1B and has a decent glove would be what is needed off the bench...however, if the Napoli deal falls through than Morse would be a great fit and a necessary RH bat for the line-up, which will look something like this:

1. Ellsbury - S
    2. Victorino - S
    3. Pedroia - R
    4. Ortiz - L
    5. Napoli/Morse - R
    6. Middlebrooks - R
    7. Salty - S/L
    8. Gomes/Kalish - R/L
    9. Drew - L

Considering the fact that the Red Sox 81 games at home, having s line-up that bats RH seems to make a lot of sense with the short LF wall.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

I suggested trading Morales and Miller for Morse in the event that the Napoli deal fall through. Don't do it unless you can extend Morse past this year.  I am being specific. Please respond with specifics about our need at first base. I am not into conflict, I am just stating my case. Proceed and keep your response within the criteria that the Napoli deal fails.

No Napoli? I still would not trade M & M for Morse, even though both only have 2 years of control. If we could extend Morse 2 years, I'd make your trade, but am not sure the Nats would.

I really don't see why the Naps signing negates the need for a 35 HR per 650 PA player that can play LF vs RHPs (400-450 PAs), 1B when Naps sits or catches, RF and 3B in a pinch, and it all comes to as many PAs as he can get.

Fair response Moon. However signing both Napoli and Morse would put us over the luxury tax threshold. Perhaps the penalty is not that severe.

Glad to be back to baseball.

I'm not for either one (Naps or Morse), unless we can extend Morse 2 years and get him for cheap.

As for the luxury tax, we can trade Salty for a prospect, and if we trade Morales and Miller to get Morse, I think we'd be close to under the cap.

Here's something for the clown:

2010-2012 OPS:

Morse  .861

Upton  .830

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Top OF OPs since 2010 (1250+ PAs)

1) Bautista  .992

2) Hamilton .952

3) Braun       .947

4) C Gonzo   .918

5) Holliday   .903

6) Stanton   .903

7) Kemp       .882

8) McCutch  .863

9) Morse      .861

10) Hart       .857

Beltran .857, Willingham .851, Swisher .844, Grandy .843, Quentin .841, Cruz .840

17) Bruce    .833

18) J upton  .830

19) Choo      .824

20) Ellsbury  .824

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

The Sox need a "left" handed bat who can play a little first base and some outfield.  Morse is a solid player, but he doesn't make any sense for this team since he is "right" handed.  Since there seems to be a lot of teams that are in on him, it's probably not a good idea to overpay for a guy who doesn't really fit at all. 

Is your post ASSUMING that the Sox sign Napoli?? Because there is no deal done with him yet.

If Napoli deal happens then you are right that a LH batter who plays 1B and has a decent glove would be what is needed off the bench...however, if the Napoli deal falls through than Morse would be a great fit and a necessary RH bat for the line-up, which will look something like this:

1. Ellsbury - S
    2. Victorino - S
    3. Pedroia - R
    4. Ortiz - L
    5. Napoli/Morse - R
    6. Middlebrooks - R
    7. Salty - S/L
    8. Gomes/Kalish - R/L
    9. Drew - L

Considering the fact that the Red Sox 81 games at home, having s line-up that bats RH seems to make a lot of sense with the short LF wall.

My post is obviously assuming Napoli signs.  The deal is going to get done, so again, it makes trading for Morse redundant.  Again, it makes no sense to have both Napoli and Morse on the roster, as the Sox need a "left handed" hitter who could spell Gomes and Napoli. 

Moon, I'm not so sure you want to be putting a guy who is a poor defender all over the diamond for 50 games here and there.  I'm also not so sure he'll be thrilled to be a platoon player/injury insurance when he is playing for what likely will be his biggest contract.  Lastly, based on his history, he is probably a bigger injury risk than Napoli, so the Sox aren't going to have much interest in extending this guy, either. 

Bottom line is, if the Napoli deals falls through for some reason (highly unlikely), then maybe Morse will be in play.  If Napoli is finalized, Morse won't be an option at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Morse can play 1B and LF and fill in at 3B and RF.

The guy has averaged 35 HRs per 650 PAs with the Nats.

Even if we end up signing Naps, there can be plenty of room for Morse.

The biggest problem with Morse is not Naps, but it is his 1 year team control. I would not trade for him, unless we can extend him.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the posters who think we have a decent shot at winning this year, who love the short term deals like Drew, who know we need a middle order bat to improve our odds at winning a ring, and yet seem to be against getting Morse.

You mean like Carl Crawford? Rest assured that Cherington won't overpay or give up equal value for Morse. My guess is that he wont even make an offer unless the Napoli deal falls through. What would or could sway the discusion to propbable and pique the Red sox interest would be if Morse still has his infielders glove? If I remember correctly, Morse came up through the Mariners farm system playing SS and might be able to play a little 3rd? Which would give them a guy that could play LF, 3B or 1B a super utility corner infielder. Which is a position of need think Eric Hiske who is exactly the profile of player we need, if the Napoli deal gets done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

how do people come up with the Napoli deal is "highly unlikely" to fall through? Are some here privy to information the rest are not?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Top OF OPs since 2010 (1250+ PAs)

1) Bautista  .992

2) Hamilton .952

3) Braun       .947

4) C Gonzo   .918

5) Holliday   .903

6) Stanton   .903

7) Kemp       .882

8) McCutch  .863

9) Morse      .861

10) Hart       .857

Beltran .857, Willingham .851, Swisher .844, Grandy .843, Quentin .841, Cruz .840

17) Bruce    .833

18) J upton  .830

19) Choo      .824

20) Ellsbury  .824

Why isn't Napoli on this list? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That list is all outfielders (OF), Burrito.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

how do people come up with the Napoli deal is "highly unlikely" to fall through? Are some here privy to information the rest are not?

Some of us read the actual articles written by the columist specific to the topic and the prevailing logic on most of the national networks is that given that the deal has not already been torn up with less than a month before spring trainging lends to the credibilty of those specualating that it's "highly unliklely" to fall through.

End of the day, my guess is that both parties are trying to protect and negoitiate in the best interest of thier respective parties. If the likelihood of surgery in the next calendar year is higher than an accepteable percentage based on the recommendations of the teams doctors they'd have alreay torn it up...If surgery is eminent within the time frame of 3 years and the only way to properly treat the injury, then my guess is that the deal gets ammended with an injury clause or they simply just shorten the length to what is an acceptable risk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

The biggest problem with Morse is not Naps, but it is his 1 year team control. I would not trade for him, unless we can extend him.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the posters who think we have a decent shot at winning this year, who love the short term deals like Drew, who know we need a middle order bat to improve our odds at winning a ring, and yet seem to be against getting Morse.

You mean like Carl Crawford?  Rest assured that Cherington won't overpay or give up equal value for Morse. My guess is that he wont even make an offer unless the Napoli deal falls through. What would or could sway the discusion to propbable and pique the Red sox interest would be if Morse still has his infielders glove? If I remember correctly, Morse came up through the Mariners farm system playing SS and might be able to play a little 3rd? Which would give them a guy that could play LF, 3B or 1B a super utility corner infielder. Which is a position of need think Eric Hiske who is exactly the profile of player we need, if the Napoli deal gets done.

Exactly...That was my point.  I agree that the Sox could use a Hinske type, but that type of player should be lefthanded to compliment Gomes/Napoli...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Yes

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You mean like Carl Crawford?  Rest assured that Cherington won't overpay or give up equal value for Morse. My guess is that he wont even make an offer unless the Napoli deal falls through. What would or could sway the discusion to propbable and pique the Red sox interest would be if Morse still has his infielders glove? If I remember correctly, Morse came up through the Mariners farm system playing SS and might be able to play a little 3rd? Which would give them a guy that could play LF, 3B or 1B a super utility corner infielder. Which is a position of need think Eric Hiske who is exactly the profile of player we need, if the Napoli deal gets done.

Exactly...That was my point.  I agree that the Sox could use a Hinske type, but that type of player should be lefthanded to compliment Gomes/Napoli...

Hinske is one of three 1 B's on the D'Backs --signed for $1.3 M. Lars Anderson is the other backup. Would you trade a prospect to get Lars back? I'm thinking for a better prospect they might think about Hinske...

Hinske has some flexibility--1 b, 3 b, PH, DH and corner OF--bats left--has played here before--2007. He's definitely another veteran prescence. I think my choice might be Lars-good "D" , been in Boston, who knows he was a pretty good prospect at one time; maybe his time has come.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Hinske is one of three 1 B's on the D'Backs --signed for $1.3 M. Lars Anderson is the other backup. Would you trade a prospect to get Lars back? I'm thinking for a better prospect they might think about Hinske...

Hinske has some flexibility--1 b, 3 b, PH, DH and corner OF--bats left--has played here before--2007. He's definitely another veteran prescence. I think my choice might be Lars-good "D" , been in Boston, who knows he was a pretty good prospect at one time; maybe his time has come.

Solid options, Madmc...Good "D" would also be a prerequisite for this roster spot, which is another reason Morse doesn't fit.  I'm sure they have a list of options, but they can't do anything until Naps is done...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Solid options, Madmc...Good "D" would also be a prerequisite for this roster spot, which is another reason Morse doesn't fit.  I'm sure they have a list of options, but they can't do anything until Naps is done...

Napoli is going to sign. They would have been done with it already if they werent going to. Just like you said Jasko, theres a lot of language that has to be agreed upon now. I believe its just a matter of when, not if.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But Morse hits RHPs very very well, and since he also hits LHPs very very well, there's no need to PH for him like you would with just a LH'd platoon only  player.

The fact that Naps, Gomes and Victorino all struggle or have struggled vs RHPs, does not mean that Morse would not be a big improvement over some of them in the line-up. If Papi stuggles vs LHPs again, or if Naps catches vs LHPs, Morse can play DH or 1B vs LHPs as well.

He's not the "perfect fit", but I don't see how the same guys who think we actually have a chance at winning it all this year, don't see the extreme need we have for a solid middle order hitter that hits LHPs and RHPs very well to the tune of about 35 Hrs per 650 PAs.

We have a serious hole in the middle of our order vs LHPs and RHPs. We have serious weaknesses at several slots due to big splits vs lefties and righties.  Look, I'm fine with passing on Morse, but I don't get the "here and now" posters  not seeing Morse as an option.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still think TB gets him.

Sections
Shortcuts