Mike Napoli and FOUR Years?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Mike Napoli and FOUR Years?

I have not heard how much Napoli would get per year in a three year deal, but the same type of amount in a four year deal is pushing it beyond good logic.  I think for the Sox I would like this guy much better on a two year deal after he tumbled quite a bit last season.

He is already over 30, is really not a catcher any longer and is only a fair fielding first baseman. I would bet that Big Papi Ortiz is a better fielder than Napoli although neither he nor the team seems to plan on him much at first base again this season.

Napoli may be making a large mistake if he signs in Seattle as lots of balls hit in Fenway off or over the wall end up being long outs in Seattle.  He and Cody Ross might want to talk to Jason Bay about how one stadium fits you well and then how unhappy things can get when you are in another field that does not fit you as well. 

On the financial side, I am never amazed at how important a few extra bucks are for these guys already making millions.  And, to think I have lived pretty darn well on a school teacher's salary for all those 33 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Mike Napoli and FOUR Years?

I am not wild about 4 year deals for up and down players over 30 like Napoli.   However, if we are talking about the same cotnract Julio Lugo received, or maybe a litle higher, it is not exactly going to destroy the franchise.

I'd rather see Napoli for 4yrs / $40mill than Cody Ross for 3 yrs / $25mill...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

When it comes to free agency, I like to put myself in their shoes. 

So I am not upset if a player goes to greener pastures.  After all, who doesn't want financial stability for the rest of his life? 

As for Napoli, if he wants four years, then I hope Seattle signs him instead.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Napoli for 4 years would be more ludicrous than any signing this franchise has ever made. Yes, worse than Crawford, Lugo or Lackey.  Unless there's a new rule in the works that would allow him to DH for Iggy, he has no value for more than one year, and even that is a risk.  We already have lousy hitting catcher, and now a corner OF who makes Manny look like a GG'er.  Stop the insanity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Fenway is made for this guy!!!  If he does not have to catch and only work his defense he may end up being a very good sign.  I would consider 4 yrs but I would rather it be three.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Its crazy isn't it? Napoli's career is basically over. He hasn't played great since 2011. If we are going to sign him, sign him to a HALF year contract. If he is still alive by the end of June, pay him on a monthly basis the rest of the season. Then at the end of the year put him down mercifully and end the misery.

Now that we have signed Papi to a 2 year deal, we need to add Cody Ross and Laroche to 3 year deals. Get it done Cherry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its crazy isn't it? Napoli's career is basically over. He hasn't played great since 2011. If we are going to sign him, sign him to a HALF year contract. If he is still alive by the end of June, pay him on a monthly basis the rest of the season. Then at the end of the year put him down mercifully and end the misery.

Now that we have signed Papi to a 2 year deal, we need to add Cody Ross and Laroche to 3 year deals. Get it done Cherry.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. All the way back to 2011?   Was there really baseball waaaaaay back then? 

Cody Ross, who is older than Napoli, has had a reasonable career as a borderline bench player / starter whose best skill is crushing LHP. 

LaRoche, also older than Napoli, has also had a mediocre career, is coming off a career-best season, and is unlikely to settle for 3 years.

If LaRoche does not settle for 3 years, which he won't, how many should the Sox go?  Or, better yet, what direction do they turn next?

I am not a huge Napoli supporter, but I take him for 4 years over either of these guys for three.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Napoli's career is over, but you want Laroche who is 2 years older.  Makes perfect sense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Napoli's career is over, but you want Laroche who is 2 years older.  Makes perfect sense.

[/QUOTE]

I should have added my suggestion of Josh Hamilton on a five year deal. Maybe then it would have been more obvious. I am probably the biggest supporter of Napoli here. And would sign him to a 4-44 deal. Next time I will add the sarc tag.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sorry then.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

Sorry then.

[/QUOTE]

No problem. My bad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When it comes to free agency, I like to put myself in their shoes. 

So I am not upset if a player goes to greener pastures.  After all, who doesn't want financial stability for the rest of his life? 

As for Napoli, if he wants four years, then I hope Seattle signs him instead.

[/QUOTE]

ditto

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am not wild about 4 years either but if thats what it takes, they might have to do it. Hell, it would be worth it not to have him play against us for four years. He absolutely kills us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have not heard how much Napoli would get per year in a three year deal, but the same type of amount in a four year deal is pushing it beyond good logic.  I think for the Sox I would like this guy much better on a two year deal after he tumbled quite a bit last season.

He is already over 30, is really not a catcher any longer and is only a fair fielding first baseman. I would bet that Big Papi Ortiz is a better fielder than Napoli although neither he nor the team seems to plan on him much at first base again this season.

Napoli may be making a large mistake if he signs in Seattle as lots of balls hit in Fenway off or over the wall end up being long outs in Seattle.  He and Cody Ross might want to talk to Jason Bay about how one stadium fits you well and then how unhappy things can get when you are in another field that does not fit you as well. 

On the financial side, I am never amazed at how important a few extra bucks are for these guys already making millions.  And, to think I have lived pretty darn well on a school teacher's salary for all those 33 years.

[/QUOTE]

I am not in favor getting a 1B over thirty unless it is Berkman; with the condition that BC gets Hosmer via trade first and then lance to a one year deal. The sox already have a young infield in the works get 22 year Hosmer with low risk value Berkman. Rather see BC invest in OF J. Upton and then Bourn these two players combine for over 200 runs last season. Ells will be the odd man out sorry to say this but i think it is time for complete face lift in the OF.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I been playing musical chairs with my opinions on who stays and goes but this what I would like Hosmer, Berkman, J. Upton and Bourn. The pitching staff a top closer and middle of the rotation pitcher Lester Buch Marcum Doubront Lackey and let traing camp decide if we need a sixth starter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I should have added my suggestion of Josh Hamilton on a five year deal. Maybe then it would have been more obvious. I am probably the biggest supporter of Napoli here. And would sign him to a 4-44 deal. Next time I will add the sarc tag.

[/QUOTE]

Glad I didn't respond now.

But try to understand, your sarcastic reply doesn't differ a whole lot from other poster's serious replies.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

4 Years and 50 million for Napoli is just asking for it. The guy is a backup catcher and less than top 1st base/DH guy who'll be in his mid 30's. Nuts!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Does any of this sound familiar?  Wasn't there another player you were jonzing for that was a good hitter, just about the same age when he left Boston, could catch, but not well, and was destined for 1B along with catching a few games, and got $50M/4?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

Glad I didn't respond now.

But try to understand, your sarcastic reply doesn't differ a whole lot from other poster's serious replies.

[/QUOTE]

I know. Thats was kind of my point though. Should have did the sarc/.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sorry then.

[/QUOTE]

No problem. My bad.

[/QUOTE]

We need a major hint to tell if you are being sarcastic.  you either have to make your suggestion SO over the top, it is the only possibility ("WE NEED RYAN SPILSBORGHS AND CARLOS PENA ON 10 YEAR DEALS NOW!!1 MAKE IT HAPPEN, BEN") or add some note telling us.

Otherwise, hard to tell on the web.   Read around the board and tell me how your sarcasm seperated itself from the average everyday idiocy on here...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If you go 4 years and you're not happy with the results in two or three years trade him.

Include an opt out for him if he wants to leave after years 1, 2 or 3; during any of those years Swihart, Vazquez or Lava may be ready.

So 4 years for $44 or $48 sounds fair to me.

Then trade for VMart to play 1 b and sign Ichiro to a one year $10 M to play RF. That would be a similar reason AL34 gave for signing Nap--so he doesn't continue to hurt you in games. Ichiro coming to Boston would be another historical step for Fenway; another HOFamer playing for the Sox. He would sell that much in jerseys back in Japan. What a treat he would be to see him play here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

We need a major hint to tell if you are being sarcastic.  you either have to make your suggestion SO over the top, it is the only possibility ("WE NEED RYAN SPILSBORGHS AND CARLOS PENA ON 10 YEAR DEALS NOW!!1 MAKE IT HAPPEN, BEN") or add some note telling us.

Otherwise, hard to tell on the web.   Read around the board and tell me how your sarcasm seperated itself from the average everyday idiocy on here...

[/QUOTE]

Well, I have already said twice I should have noted it was sarcasm. But in my defense, I think this quote....

"" sign him to a HALF year contract. If he is still alive by the end of June, pay him on a monthly basis the rest of the season. Then at the end of the year put him down mercifully and end the misery.""

...might have been looked at as a "major hint" by many. Guess it wasn't over the top enough though.sarc/

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, I have already said twice I should have noted it was sarcasm. But in my defense, I think this quote....

"" sign him to a HALF year contract. If he is still alive by the end of June, pay him on a monthly basis the rest of the season. Then at the end of the year put him down mercifully and end the misery.""

...might have been looked at as a "major hint" by many. Guess it wasn't over the top enough though.sarc/

[/QUOTE]

Ah, but who remembered that?  The real problem was, you did not END on that.  The last thought you left us with was 3 years for LaRoche and Ross.  When you got the hammer like the half-year contract rant, close with that!   Always end with your best material and leave them wanting more!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not wild about 4 years either but if thats what it takes, they might have to do it. Hell, it would be worth it not to have him play against us for four years. He absolutely kills us.

[/QUOTE]

yes he hurts us about 8 times year so by all means lets ink him to a 4 year deal for millions

Sections
Shortcuts