Mike Napoli reaches incentive

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Mike Napoli reaches incentive

Here's a paragraph and link to read the whole article:

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-red-sox/staying-healthy-earns-napoli-extra-8-million?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

By being active for the 165th day this season, Napoli qualified for $8 million in incentives for 2013. That, combined with a $5 million base, means Napoli will earn $13 million for this season, or, the same number he was due to make as part of a three-year contract for $39 million.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Mike Napoli reaches incentive

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Here's a paragraph and link to read the whole article:

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-red-sox/staying-healthy-earns-napoli-extra-8-million?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

By being active for the 165th day this season, Napoli qualified for $8 million in incentives for 2013. That, combined with a $5 million base, means Napoli will earn $13 million for this season, or, the same number he was due to make as part of a three-year contract for $39 million.

Well deserved if you ask me.  As much as I wish the K's would go down....and the streakiness, he has played very good 1B (not as easy as people think around here) and by seasons end could have 100Rbi's and 25 dingers......  I think it wound up being money well spent and would like to see him re-sign here for a few more years!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He deserve to earn these incentatives!!  Without his offense productions, Boston may be in the wildcard pennant chase instead of the divisional title pennant chase.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Good for him, He's a streaky hitter but I'll take his ups when he's going good.  Supposedly he's always a hot hitter in september why slow down now?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Agreed.Napoli carried this team early in the season when Ortiz was out.Let's hope he gets red hot once the playoffs start. 

"Another day closer to the parade"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Napoli deserves every dollar.   Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

He's had a better season than the $21M AGon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree Moon.  The guy has realy been a bargain when you look at a lot of other players and 1 baseman.  Tex, Agon, Pujols etc....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As well as the $25 Million Hamilton of the Angels.   Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Speaking of 1st basemen:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/red-sox-orioles-interested-in-jose-dariel-abreu.html

Abraham spoke to a team source this week who said that the team is "certainly interested" in the 26-year-old Abreu, who could fill the hole that will be left when Mike Napoli departs via free agency this offseason. Abraham notes that Abreu, who has a questionable defensive reputation, could play first base in the short-term and transition to designated hitter whenDavid Ortiz retires. Earlier in the week, Sox GM Ben Cherington said on WEEI radio in Boston that the Red Sox "just don't know him well enough yet" to give a full scouting report but noted that the Sox will perform the necessary work to properly assess him before he's eligible for free agency.

Dionisio Soldevila

@dSoldevila

Red Sox are also scouting Jose Abreu here in the DR. He also had a tryout for them today.

"Another day closer to the parade"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A good contract for both parties after the discovery of the hip disease.  Gotta loves those incentives although in reality they were more like a hedge against the disease returning.  I agree with others that he has earned every dollar. 

moonslav, I am less sure about the comparison to AGon, who has a higher WAR, 3.5 vs. 3.3.  Plus I think AGon has been a key factor in the Dodgers resurgence.  He has the highest WAR on the Dodgers except for Puig and has played a lot more games than Puig.  His .800 ain't much to brag about for someone getting $20M/, but he was a good acquisition.  I think he is definitely a better hitter and fielder than Napoli. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree Moon.  The guy has realy been a bargain when you look at a lot of other players and 1 baseman.  Tex, Agon, Pujols etc....

[/QUOTE]

Think about that trade with the Dodgers.

We signed Victorino (at less cost) to replace Crawford in the OF. Win.

We signed Napoli to replace AGon at less cost. Win.

We signed Dempster and traded for Peavy & his contract to replace JB. Win.

We signed Drew to replace Punto (actually Aviles, but maybe you are not paying attention). Win

All of these guys combined cost less per year than the 4 we traded, so throw in Uehara, Carp, Gomes, and Ross to come close to evening out the 2013 salary.

Then add to that Webster, de la Rosa, and indirectly Holt.

What a trade!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

A good contract for both parties after the discovery of the hip disease.  Gotta loves those incentives although in reality they were more like a hedge against the disease returning.  I agree with others that he has earned every dollar. 

moonslav, I am less sure about the comparison to AGon, who has a higher WAR, 3.5 vs. 3.3.  Plus I think AGon has been a key factor in the Dodgers resurgence.  He has the highest WAR on the Dodgers except for Puig and has played a lot more games than Puig.  His .800 ain't much to brag about for someone getting $20M/, but he was a good acquisition.  I think he is definitely a better hitter and fielder than Napoli. 

Fangraphs has:

Naploi 3.2

AGon  2.7

Fielding

Napoli 8.2 (MLB leader)

AGon 5.5

OBP

Napoli .351 to .341

SLG

Napoli .478 to .459

Baserunning

Napoli -1.3 to AGon -4.6

Look, I'm not saying I'd take napoli over AGon at the same contract cost, but certainly 2013 was to Napoli's advantage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They all make too much money,but John Henry can afford it....so I don't care.

If Drew is worth $9 million, Napoli should get $18 million, Drew woke up in July, Napoli was the Red Sox hottest hitter and carried the team offensively in April, when Drew was still sleeping.

Gomes gets $5 million per season, and this is mostly a guy brought in for moral support ( or to be the lucky rabbit's foot....whatever) Gomes is a platoon player who makes the most of his late inning chances , he has been clutch and 48 RBI in a platoon with Nava, is not chump change....but .235 AVG. is pitiful and he's no Dwight Evans in the outfield, $5 million for this guy is a bit steep too, if the team were in 3rd place and out of the wildcard, we'd have posters screaming bloody murder over Drew, Napoli and Gomes....the team's in 1st pace and heading for the best record ( at least in the AL) so everything's peaches and cream, right?....it's all relative, and it's John Henry's money...so why should I complain?...so I won't.

Winning makes everything okay, I think that if Carl Crawford was here and the team was sitting in 1st place, his #13 jersey would be selling like Jonny Gomes jerseys or at least as well as the Middlebrooks jersey or the Dempster.

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell