Mike Napoli, Tori Hunter, Kevin Youkilis, among Top Choices for Red Sox in Free Agent Market

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

Mike Napoli, Tori Hunter, Kevin Youkilis, among Top Choices for Red Sox in Free Agent Market

Why is it that the Boston Media sincerely believes this kind of crap ?
    Do they really think that Boston is the old folks home for has been baseball players ?
    Are any of the names mentioned above  really what this team needs to rebuild the franchise ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Mike Napoli, Tori Hunter, Kevin Youkilis, among Top Choices for Red Sox in Free Agent Market

they all still can play...that's for sure...i would not be mad if any of these guy's are on the red sox next season...all good vets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

Re: Mike Napoli, Tori Hunter, Kevin Youkilis, among Top Choices for Red Sox in Free Agent Market

In response to raider3524's comment:

they all still can play...that's for sure...i would not be mad if any of these guy's are on the red sox next season...all good vets.

but for what 1 year ? shouldnt we look for more ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

this free agent class is not it....those guy's can get 2 or 3 years easy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to lstboss's comment:

Every team needs a mix of youth and veterans.  Thanks to the Dodgers, the Sox now have the financial flexibility to do whatever they want.  History has shown that long term deals can cripple a franchise, but short term deals, even on an overpay, make more sense.  Let's see what they do first.  Obviously, they aren't going to sign all three of those guys, as Youk and Napoli are redundant, since they aren't going to go with Napoli as a full time catcher. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to lstboss' comment:

Why is it that the Boston Media sincerely believes this kind of crap ?
    Do they really think that Boston is the old folks home for has been baseball players ?
    Are any of the names mentioned above  really what this team needs to rebuild the franchise ?

Look at it this way, If we had all three of them to short term deals at the right price we would probably have a better team than we do now and allow some kids on the farm to mature.  Napoli is a better hitter than Salty and we could always use him at DH if Pap[i is out.  Tori and David are good friends and Hunter is better than most of our OF's.

I would love to have Youk back at 1B since losing AGon.  Kevin could still have some good years left "if healthy" and not asked to play 3B a lot.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Any of these 3 would be minor additions, not a solution for a long term turnaround.

Not big on Napoli.  Concerned about a guy who has a .220 something average in a walk year.   Plus he won't have the Sox to beat up on.

Hunter would be a Mike Cameron type gamble.  He is coming off a solid season and may be the perfect bridge to the kids, but will he take a 1 year deal?

Youk's best days are in the past.  He should be plan D for 1st, after LaRoche, a trade or another FA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Names like this are good for a year, maybe 2 until some of our Kids are ready. I like Hunter as a place holder for JBJ or Brentz. Napoli and Youk? They wouldnt be my 1st choices. The Sox should approach this team with short deals for 30+ players to plug holes and save the $$ for signing younger talent, whether it be from our system or outside the organization.

A slight overpay is worth it if the number of years are low (3 or under) and for the right player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Avoid racist Torri Hunter like the plague. Youk is nothing but a back bencher with a value of 1 to 3M, and not a value fit at all unless he's willing to play for that. I doubt it, he'll probably retire if someone won't pay more than that.

If VMart can't be acquired via sending farm scraps, I think he can, Napoli is the next best alternative if his market is only two years, likely.

I'm curious to know how Torii Hunter is racist. Please explain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to westcoastsox9's comment:

Avoid racist Torri Hunter like the plague. Youk is nothing but a back bencher with a value of 1 to 3M, and not a value fit at all unless he's willing to play for that. I doubt it, he'll probably retire if someone won't pay more than that.

If VMart can't be acquired via sending farm scraps, I think he can, Napoli is the next best alternative if his market is only two years, likely.

I'm curious to know how Torii Hunter is racist. Please explain.

He already posted some article where someone took his words out of context and I posted a couple articles where he was defended that proved good ol' trot/softy wrong once again.

Hunter has been nothing short of a great teammate and player his whole career. His been a role model both in the clubhouse as well as within the community. He plays the game the right way and has always been great with the fans too.

IMO, hes earned every penny of his contracts throughout his career and hes well respected throughout the baseball community.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

THe big problem with Victor Martinez is that he appears not to be available.  The Tigers moved Cabrera to 3B to leave the DH spot open for Martinez a full year in advance, anticipating his return. They did NOT move him there to accomodate the bats of Ansy Dirks and Delmon Youn in thr DH position.

If you were to say he should be available and the Sox should pursue him, I agree on both points.  But as of today, Detroit has shown zero indication that they plan to move him...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Part of the reason teams sign free agents is that it is a  PR move to show fans they plan to do whatever it takes to put together a winning team.  GMs do understand that free agents are older, and many have already had their best years, probably for other teams.  But signing star name players does have some postiive effects, including some box office draw, especially if things go well.

Right now, the Sox really do have to sign a free agent, as this team does desperately need some PR.  To that end, Napoli and Haren are probably the best targets.  I actually think Liriano will bounce back and potentially outpitch Haren for the money, but Liriano also lacks even the Q Factor of Haren...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

middlebrooks wants hunter.....

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121103&content_id=40165912&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

i don't care who the SOX sign, as long as swisher isn't one of them.

yeah...i can't stand the guy also....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

definition of insanity: reading mr softy's posts and giving them anymore credence than the ramblings of a mad man.

i don't understand the guy...is he that stupid? or is he like in special ed or somthing?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to lstboss's comment:

One year is fine for any of them as long as the team also begins to rebuild the pitching staff, which stinks overall. Next year: does it really matter who is out there?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Lance Berkman and Juan Pierre would both sign for short money on 1 year deals. Their numbers are still quite good for their salary levels. Go with them. Save the money for a better crop of younger free agents.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i live in hawaii...and i love the red sox...i would love to see shane victorino on the red sox...not sure it's a good fit..but i want it to happen...we need OF...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Three OF'ders that could provide a benefit to the Sox would be Ichiro and Hunter add Melky on  a one year deal. Deal Ells for Andrus.

Ichiro, Pedroia, Melky, Ortiz, Middle, Hunter, Salty, Andrus, Gomez.

Rotation: Buch, Lester, Lackey, Aceves, Doubie and Rubby DLR

Pen: Soriano, Melancon, Morales, Hill, Breslow, Atch, Taz( Trade Bailey)

Bench: Ciriaco, Lavarnway, Nava, Figgins

There will be trades of course.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Three OF'ders that could provide a benefit to the Sox would be Ichiro and Hunter add Melky on  a one year deal. Deal Ells for Andrus.

Ichiro, Pedroia, Melky, Ortiz, Middle, Hunter, Salty, Andrus, Gomez.

Rotation: Buch, Lester, Lackey, Aceves, Doubie and Rubby DLR

Pen: Soriano, Melancon, Morales, Hill, Breslow, Atch, Taz( Trade Bailey)

Bench: Ciriaco, Lavarnway, Nava, Figgins

There will be trades of course.

i kind of like it...i want aceves gone...don't want gomez as starting 1B....gotta give bailey a chance.

Sections
Shortcuts