Mike Napoli's future in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Mike Napoli's future in Boston

As of now do you see the front office extending him for two more seasons?

or

Replacing him with Will Middlebrooks?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Mike Napoli's future in Boston

If he continues like this, I'd make a QO and not care if he accepted it or not.  Probaly not quite $13M, but we wouldn't be hurting if he accepted.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

to paraphrase Abe Lincoln...

everyone on the team should acquire that hip condition

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kaiser Souze. Show Kaiser Souze's posts

Morneau, morse, and mark Reynolds available as well. This has been a question I have been thinking about all year....I assume he gets 13 mill from someone so assuming that's the cost? I think two year at 26 million would be a deal...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I believe they'll qualify him no matter what unless he completely tanks. Don't believe Will would get moved to 1st anytime soon but I do think that switch may be in his future.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

He'll accept the QO, which should not be made. Middlebrooks and Cecchini should be the plan for the corners. As a bridge, they should offer Napoli about the same kind of deal he's on now, assuming he stays healthy.

So in others words, you want him to walk!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

just give him the contract he signed before the hip thing came about...he will get his 13mil this season give him 2 years at 26mil...that's his 3 year 39mil.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id give him a QO regardless, unless he falls off a cliff (about 14M). Have him take his MRI's and after the final results at the end of the season they could offer him a 2yr deal with a 3rd option (2M buyout) for 8M base, with 5M worth of incentives based on the hip conditions and games missed because of it. for a total of a possible 3/39 deal with 18 guarenteed. He can always DH when/if papi leaves by then and fill in at 1b.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Napoli is 4th in the league in RBI. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ms_obstinate. Show ms_obstinate's posts

I love threads like this, didn't Napoli his a grand slam last night?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

I love threads like this, didn't Napoli his a grand slam last night?

Not only that, but he hit it in Yankee Stadium and it was a no-doubter to right centre field.  Not the first time he has crushed a ball to the opposite field this year.  He's one of the strongest guys in baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Any contract should have an injury clause.  He is worth the money now even though he strikes out way to much.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Much better than I expected in the field except on pop ups.  Hard to say what to do because the Sox do need good righty bats but the hip is a concern.  If he finishes with 150 games, 25 dingers, and 100 rbis, it might be smart to make him a good offer.  Way too early to decide that now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We're so cold-blooded and analytical with this stuff now.  Once upon a time, if a Sox hitter had a grand slam in the Stadium and was 4th in the league in RBI, you'd think anyone who didn't want him back the next year was nuts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Butterfield has helped Nap in the field to become a better 1 B--we have no true 1B other than Mark Hamilton, Travis Shaw and Brandon Snyder with limited 1 B experience.

I realize WMB has been hurt since his collision with Ross--that may be impacting his play at 3B. I see 1 B as a possibility for him with  Boggie, Almanzar and Cecchini getting a shot to challenge for 3 B.

In my mind signing Nap should be a priority. Like signing Beltre should have been a priority. Given the choice of signing Nap or Ells---o doubt Nap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

We're so cold-blooded and analytical with this stuff now.  Once upon a time, if a Sox hitter had a grand slam in the Stadium and was 4th in the league in RBI, you'd think anyone who didn't want him back the next year was nuts.

I'm old school like that -  I could care less how many K's Salty, Napoli or Middlebrooks have...You have to expect that from your boppers (not contact hitters)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He'll accept the QO, which should not be made. Middlebrooks and Cecchini should be the plan for the corners. As a bridge, they should offer Napoli about the same kind of deal he's on now, assuming he stays healthy.

A QO would be a one year deal, and the length is more important than the money for this team...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

I'm old school like that -  I could care less how many K's Salty, Napoli or Middlebrooks have...You have to expect that from your boppers (not contact hitters)

The problem is not so much the Ks as the K/W rate.  If you swing from the heels, but only at hittable pitches, you accumulate a lot of HRs and a lot of K's, which is fine.  But Naps and WMB are not taking enough walks, which means pitchers will start giving them less and less pitches to hit.  You can see what happened to WMB with his 54/7.  My fear is that Naps will follow form with his 80/22.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

A QO would be a one year deal, and the length is more important than the money for this team...

I think a lot depends on our assessment of whether or not he'll take it.  My guess is that his agent would have to think there is a 3-year offer for $30M from someone else waiting for him.  And even then, if we guess wrong, he still figures to be a $10M player< so the risk is small

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

The problem is not so much the Ks as the K/W rate.  If you swing from the heels, but only at hittable pitches, you accumulate a lot of HRs and a lot of K's, which is fine.  But Naps and WMB are not taking enough walks, which means pitchers will start giving them less and less pitches to hit.  You can see what happened to WMB with his 54/7.  My fear is that Naps will follow form with his 80/22.

I'm also concerns with the high strikeouts!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Red Sox have Boss Moanaora and Tim Roberson in the lower echelons of the system. Also I'm sure some of the outfielders are working on their skills at 1rst base. I don't know how Middlebrooks projects at 1b as they also have Boegearts,Iggy,Alamanzar,Vitek and a couple of other guys who can play the hot corner. Lest I forget Snyder and Drew Sutton. In my opinion Will needs to come back smoking hot just to get playing time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

EDIT : We're so so many are cold-blooded and analytical with this stuff now Once upon a time, if a Sox hitter had a grand slam in the Stadium and was 4th in the league in RBI, you'd think anyone who didn't want him back the next year was nuts.

that plus how so many automatically

assume that unknown draft pick will be as good as the present AS

all kind of disrespects the game IMO

Sections
Shortcuts