Mike Napoli's future in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Re: Mike Napoli's future in Boston

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

We're so cold-blooded and analytical with this stuff now.  Once upon a time, if a Sox hitter had a grand slam in the Stadium and was 4th in the league in RBI, you'd think anyone who didn't want him back the next year was nuts.

So true !  Kind of reminds me of '70's when I had a "must have " affinity for The Boomer, George Scott. Then when he DIDN"T hit 30 homers I was devastated.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

So in others words, you want him to walk!

With his medical history and the fact he can't stay on the field for a full 140 plus games workload, his value is no more than what he's on now. No way I offer this guy a 14M one year deal!

I like how he hits a gand slam against the Yankees B Team and it's time to make him a QO or a 2 or 3 year guaranteed contract offer.

"Yankees B Team" - a feeble effort at discrediting.  He hit it off Phil Hughes.  Not a Cy Young contender, by any means, but he's been a member of the Yankees rotation for a number of years.

Also Napoli has a career OPS of .961 against the Yankees.  Oh but wait, it must have all been against the "Yankees B Team"...

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

So far, as a 1st baseman/DH, he's been far more durable than many (played in 56 out of 57, Started 51 at first with 48 Complete games).

They are waiting to see if his condition is stable since he hasn't had any symptoms yet. If the report is he's stable, there won't be any more discounts.

-Daf.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I remember having this conversation about a month ago with a couple posters. before he hit a grand slam the night before. Just as a "what if" question. Not all of us start talking extension just because someone had a good night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

As of now do you see the front office extending him for two more seasons?

or

Replacing him with Will Middlebrooks?

We have some nice options moving forward which is why I don't see us re-signing Ells.  I'm hoping Middy can develop more offensively and stay healthy because it puts us in a great position financially if guys like Pede, Will or Garin Cecchini, Bogy and Iggy man the infield.  Same goes for Vasquez, Swihart and Lav behind the plate so I'm not sure we sign Salty long term either unless the price is right.    

From 2014 through 2016 there could also be a lot of great options available to us as FA's, or through trade that could round out our lineup like ...  Morneau or Nap, McCutchen, J. Upton, M. Cabrera, Stanton, Kershaw, Verlander, Scherzer, Masterson, Lincecum etc. 

Who knows?  By that time we may have all we need in Barnes, Webster, Renaudo, Workman and other positional players who could also develop. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

just give him the contract he signed before the hip thing came about...he will get his 13mil this season give him 2 years at 26mil...that's his 3 year 39mil.

Thats fine as long as there is a clause in his contract that makes HIM assume the risk of his condition. People with avascular necrosis often need new hips sooner rather than later. Occasionally people with this condition seem to be relatively symptom free for years, but thats the exception, and not the rule. The bones in his hip have no blood supply, and they need it. Without it they get brittle and chip off. Its not a good condition at all.

No need for the team to assume the risk for a known condition. I feel bad for Napoli, and I think he is doing a great job despite the K's, but this is business.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I think the Red Sox should offer him the two year deal. He has more than proven he deserves it. I'd hate to see them nickel and dime him just because he has a medical condition ( which most medical professionals believe will have no impact on his play over the next few years). If they can give the aging and injured Papi a 2 year deal..give one to Napoli too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I think the Red Sox should offer him the two year deal. He has more than proven he deserves it. I'd hate to see them nickel and dime him just because he has a medical condition ( which most medical professionals believe will have no impact on his play over the next few years). If they can give the aging and injured Papi a 2 year deal..give one to Napoli too.

I don't think thats entirely true. I have not seen quotes from any medical officials that indicate that his hips (its in both of them) are unlikely to cause a problem over the next two years. The clinical course of this condition is very variable, and its impossible to say when it will become a problem. This is a progressive disease, unfortunately. It could cause issues at any time, and playing professional sports cannot be good for it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I don't think thats entirely true. I have not seen quotes from any medical officials that indicate that his hips (its in both of them) are unlikely to cause a problem over the next two years. The clinical course of this condition is very variable, and its impossible to say when it will become a problem. This is a progressive disease, unfortunately. It could cause issues at any time, and playing professional sports cannot be good for it.

True..but this issue was discussed ad naseum on Boston sports radio and while I don't have an actual link, the dr's that were quoted seemed to agree that given the current pace of progression that it would likely not give him trouble over the short term..the short term being the next two or three years.

I stand by my statement that he deserves the 2 year deal. They can work out the financial aspect and I have no doubt that the Sox will insert language into any contract that deals with his contract..but really..as we have seen ..any player on any given day can be out indefinitely with injury.

Let him live his dream for as long as he is able.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I agree they should get some sort of protection but accorind to Dr. Joseph Lane who actually saw his hit they could reverse the condition. Realistically over the next two year it is probably  not going to be an issue.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Giving Nap another two years would be premature at this point.  We have too many options to consider like ...

#1 Where will Bogy or Iggy end up, both look like pretty good bets to stick.

#2 Can Middy play 1B, or do we trade him and resign Nap? 

#3 Do we sign Nap, or Morneau who is a better all round player if Middy gets traded?

#4 If Iggy & Bogy man SS & 3B why sign Nap if the much cheaper/younger Middy works at 1B?

#5 Could Bogy or Cecchini end up somewhere other than SS or 3B?

Too early to make a decision on Nap, or even Salty with Swihart, Lav and Vasquez on the farm.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I remember having this conversation about a month ago with a couple posters. before he hit a grand slam the night before. Just as a "what if" question. Not all of us start talking extension just because someone had a good night.

The discussion really takes place immediately.  What happens if A, B, or C happens.  If he hits 30 HRs and plays 158 games, it is a different decision than if he is limping after 30 games.  And there are a lot of 'what-ifs'.  The decision on Drew is different if Iggy hits .200 or .300.  If WMB has a great season, X is no longer a 3B.  If Cecchini explodes in AA, maybe WMB switches to 1B.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Giving Nap another two years would be premature at this point.  We have too many options to consider like ...

#1 Where will Bogy or Iggy end up, both look like pretty good bets to stick.

#2 Can Middy play 1B, or do we trade him and resign Nap? 

#3 Do we sign Nap, or Morneau who is a better all round player if Middy gets traded?

#4 If Iggy & Bogy man SS & 3B why sign Nap if the much cheaper/younger Middy works at 1B?

#5 Could Bogy end up somewhere other than SS or 3B?

Too early to make a decision on Nap, or even Salty with Swihart, Lav and Vasquez on the farm.

Funny, but my response is almost identical.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

True..but this issue was discussed ad naseum on Boston sports radio and while I don't have an actual link, the dr's that were quoted seemed to agree that given the current pace of progression that it would likely not give him trouble over the short term..the short term being the next two or three years.

I stand by my statement that he deserves the 2 year deal. They can work out the financial aspect and I have no doubt that the Sox will insert language into any contract that deals with his contract..but really..as we have seen ..any player on any given day can be out indefinitely with injury.

Let him live his dream for as long as he is able.

I can understand your opinion to give him a two year deal, and I have no objection to that as long as the player and not the team assumes the risk for his known medical condition.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't see what the problem is here.  Have him assume the responsibility for the condition of his hips.

Offer him a two year deal identical to the one year deal  he's got now.  Base 5 with an additional 8 in incentives. Then base his eligibility for the second year on how many of those incentives he reached in the first year. 

If someone else wants to offer him more money or years and Naps wants to take it, he walks and we fill the 1B spot with Middy or through FA.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This is the date that teams need to be aware of to make QO to their own FA.

We are talking about 5 months---I think we can put Nap and Ells and Salty and others on the back burner for a few months--let's see how the season goes. If the Sox play .550 to .575 and continue to stay in the race it's likely the team stays in tact after the TD.

November TBA -- Deadline for teams to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents, fifth day after World Series.