Mike Salk, 710 ESPN Seattle: doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Mike Salk, 710 ESPN Seattle: doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much

Mike Salk/710ESPN Seattle, was on Weei this morning; he  talked about the reaction in Seattle to the Erik Bedard trade, why it was fantastic news that Seattle traded the lefty, how he doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much, that there was a belief Bedard tanked his final start with the Mariners on purpose, what type of pitcher the Red Sox are getting, why he thinks we really won't like Bedard and that Bedard is even worse than John Lackey in terms of body language.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Re: Mike Salk, 710 ESPN Seattle: doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much

In Response to Mike Salk, 710 ESPN Seattle: doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much:
    [QUOTE]Mike Salk/710ESPN Seattle, was on Weei this morning; he   talked about the reaction in Seattle to the Erik Bedard trade, why it was fantastic news that Seattle traded the lefty, how he doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much, that there was a belief Bedard tanked his final start with the Mariners on purpose, what type of pitcher the Red Sox are getting, why he thinks we really won't like Bedard and that Bedard is even worse than John Lackey in terms of body language.
    Posted by Jete02fann[/QUOTE]

i agree; bedard, like crawford, are small market players who don't perform well under pressure; in fact, they don't even want the pressure.
    BEDARD was a last minute pick-up so that theo could save face.
    most here will blame bedard, just like SLACKEY, but i'll continue to blame the inept one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Mike Salk, 710 ESPN Seattle: doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much

We've had J.D.Drew who doesn't seem to like baseball very much either.

This , I don't think, is all that uncommon.

We have politicians who don't like to do their jobs either, but they do like the money. And while they are asking for sacrificies and cuts, it seems they are immune from these measures.

In a capitalist society we have many people who don't like their jobs, but like what they are getting paid. Conversely, we have many people who like their jobs , but don't like what they get paid.

I don't care whether the guy likes baseball or not, I just hope he pitches better than Daisuke....much better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Also, if my career was split between Baltimore and Seattle , I wouldn't be having much fun either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'm not understanding why players who are typically reserved or quiet, or don't want to talk to the press, get the label of not liking baseball or not caring.  Some people just don't wear their hearts on their sleeves like others.  It may be that Bedard and Drew don't like baseball, but I think it's an unfair assumption to make based on their personalities.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Salk, 710 ESPN Seattle: doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Mike Salk, 710 ESPN Seattle: doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much : i agree; bedard, like crawford, are small market players who don't perform well under pressure; in fact, they don't even want the pressure. BEDARD was a last minute pick-up so that theo could save face. most here will blame bedard, just like SLACKEY, but i'll continue to blame the inept one.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

c'mon yazzer.  I know you have an agenda, but you should really refrain from just saying any loopy thing that comes to your mind.  Last minute pick to save face?  What is last minute?  By all reports the Sox had been scouting and kicking the tires on Bedard for a while now.  In fact, looking at the circumstantial evidence, it is reasonable to say he was their top choice all along.  Jimenez was always going to be way to much cost for a questionable return.  Harden was no better, probably worse, of a bet than Bedard, and beyond that, the starting pitcher market was thread bare.  So, how is it last minute (besides the fact that it was done on the last day) and why did Theo need to 'save face'?  They knew they had to make a move to fill for Buchholz, and they made the best one possible, and gave up no top prospects for him.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Bedard probably was plan C or B. Clearly the RS wanted Kuroda and had a deal in place to do it but Kuroda just wants to stay put and has the no trade clause to make that happen.

Now whether Bedard was Plan B but juggling the pieces between Seattle and LA was so complicated that the RS were going to track with Harden until his med report made them rethink adding a PTNL to that package or not or if Harden was their solid second option will never be known for sure But if the Kuroda deal had not been put together this three way trade never would have happened.

But this morning it is clear that the RS wanted to add at least one more variable option to their starting staff, knowing that Buch was 90% done for the year and clearly wouldn't be back for much of the remainder of the regular season.

The closest thing to a top flight guy was Jimenez and that isn't saying he is. Compelling stuff but there are red flags. He is having his highest WHIP and ERA since he became a FT pitcher in the year of the pitcher. The fact the Rox aren't cash strapped but wanted to move him is also a concern. And perhaps most of all, the RS and NYY did not match up well because they have fewer top flight prospects and both wish to hold closely the few they have.

That means whoever they were going to get was going to have some question marks. But what is encouraging is how well Bedard has pitched this year coming off of labrum surgery in between his set backs. Those set backs have not been major in nature.

For all people talk about his not liking baseball, his career stats when healthy are outstanding. There is some bitterness towards guys that don't talk to the media (this report) as there i towards guys who make it clear they want out of your town and won't extend (Jim Duquette's comments).

But one look at what Seattle gave in trade to get Bedard from Baltimore would suggest they saw something there. And what they saw is pretty transparent on his stat sheet. Sometimes the reult is the truth and the rest is just noise.

But in a market without a Lee or Halliday at the deadline this was about what the RS could expect to get.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Salk, 710 ESPN Seattle: doesn't think Bedard really likes baseball that much:
    [QUOTE]Also, if my career was split between Baltimore and Seattle , I wouldn't be having much fun either.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

true that, Zilla.  He may awaken with a real playoff race and be excited to be part of a real rivalry and chance for the Series.  One can hope, eh?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Great post Mr. FiveKatz. Nice summation of what probably went down in the Sox front office.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I heard Bedard said that Salk doesn't like being a reporter much.

Who cares?  Bedard is a good pitcher.  If he is healthy he is going to win.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Also, if my career was split between Baltimore and Seattle , I wouldn't be having much fun either.

Your first post on this thread was all over the board, which I'll leave along, but this post is an excellent point.

Maybe it was simply that Bedard didn't like baseball in Seattle.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Wait til he goes to a winner, things change!

He will get sick of the constant  Champagne in the eyes...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Amen to that Zill! I was going to say that if I played for the M's, I wouldn't enjoy going to work either.
    Sounds like sour grapes to me from Mr. Sulk!

Sections
Shortcuts