Millar on WEEI: 'J.D. Drew is dead weight'

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Millar on WEEI: 'J.D. Drew is dead weight'

THE "COWBOY" IS RIGHT ON, AGAIN !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I always liked Millar and if it takes his kind of objectivity to ease Drew out of right field I'm all for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Cowboys and idiots mix well ...

:o)

Just ask the '04 Yanquis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

For a Cowboy or an Idiot he is a pretty smart baseball guy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I like Millar. He is entertaining and speaks his mind.  He makes some valid points , but I seriously doubt that the Mets would have any interest whatsoever in Drew.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I didn't think that anyone would have any interest in Cameron and lo and behold there he was the other night against the Phillies in a Marlin's uniform killing another rally.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Based on Theo's analysis, any team would love to take Drew because at 14 million, he is actually a very good value.

Drew should be relagated to a bench role at this time and should be the next man out when it's time for a roster change. 

Folks, we may have finally seen the end of this clown.  And whether you like Drew or not, at least you won't have to deal with my rants over the guy once he's receives his unconditional release.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Millar on WEEI: 'J.D. Drew is dead weight':
    [QUOTE]by Stephen Bailey/WEEI Former Red Sox player and current MLB Network and NESN analyst Kevin Millar joined the Mut & Merloni show Friday afternoon to talk about the state of the Red Sox. To hear the interview, go to the  Mut & Merloni audio on demand page . With floundering outfielder Mike Cameron shipped off to Florida, J.D. Drew has taken even more criticism for his lack of production this season. When asked what he would do with the struggling 35-year-old, Millar stepped into the role of general manager. “I would call the Mets if I’m Theo [ Epstein ],” Millar said. “This is just me. I’m being the GM. Theo’s my assistant now. I call the Mets, I say, ‘Hey Sandy [ Alderson ]. You take my stuff, I’ll take your stuff, your dead weight.’ J.D. Drew is dead weight for me, and I’ll take Carlos Beltran right now because I think he can help me in a run down the second half of the season. You’ve heard the Mets trying to get rid of Beltran the last couple of years. “That’s what I try to do. I try to get creative, because the bottom line is — I mean, personally, I like J.D. Drew. He’s a nice human being. He’s just a nice man, but it’s hard for me to watch sometimes.” Added Millar: “He’s a talented kid, but I think we’ve waited around. He should have been 30 [home runs] and 100 [RBIs] for the last 10 years. You’re never going to see it. He plays good defense. He’s got a good eye. He gets on base. But .230 and whatever it is in right field, there’s got to be an adjustment.” Rob Bradford , filling in for regular co-host Lou Merloni , asked Millar if he was at all surprised by the first-half performance of offseason acquisition Adrian Gonzalez . The former Padre leads the American League in batting average (.351), RBIs (76), hits (124), doubles (28) and total bases (209). He also ranks second in slugging percentage (.592) and third in on-base percentage (.408). “No it doesn’t,” Millar said. “To tell you the truth, he was doing this with nobody around him in San Diego, the toughest hitter’s park in the big leagues. He’s a guy that can, he never gets too high, and you never see him get too low, and that’s the way his swing is. It’s the sweetest swing in baseball. The leg kick, a little open, the expression on his face. He looks at the pitchers with both eyes. “When I say that, you know, his head faces the pitcher. Sometimes we get cockeyed and we’re only looking at the pitcher if we’re a right-handed hitter with your left eye, and your right eye is kind of back behind, but he’s just so smooth-looking, and none of that has surprised me because we knew the Green Monster was going to be an advantage to him. It’s just like when Billy Mueller came over and won the batting title in 2003. Those left-handed hitters who know how to use that wall, it’s just a tremendous asset.” Another left-handed slugger who’s been thriving this year is designated hitter David Ortiz . With a .301/.386/.572 line, 18 home runs and 42 extra-base hits, the rejuvenated Ortiz is reminding pitchers across the league that he can still be a dominating middle-of-the-lineup force. But, how much of his success this season is due to the addition of Gonzalez? “Well, it’s a plus,” Millar said. “I don’t think this has anything to do with Ortiz having a nice year. Ortiz can hit. He’s had tons of good years before Adrian got there. I got a chance to hit with Manny Ramirez for three years. It doesn’t mean that I can hit like Manny Ramirez. I saw him go opposite field, 440 [feet], and have a beautiful right-handed swing, inside out, and I couldn’t hit to right field.” Added Millar: “Ortiz could hit. He could always hit. He had a rough first half last year. You know he was getting pinch hit for in April. … So, I do think its helped Ortiz just to have protection around him, but Ortiz could hit. And I know how Ortiz hits. He loves the game and he’s thrilled to see an offensive hitter like Adrian do the things he does.” Regarding the struggles of starter John Lackey , Millar said it’s not a crucial concern while the team is doing well. “Right now, the Red Sox aren’t hurt [by Lackey's struggles],” Millar said. “If they’re in third place, they’re 4-6 games out and every time he pitches they lose another game to the Yankees [then you think about sitting Lackey]. But right now, if he’s saying he can pitch, you owe him a ton of money, the facts are facts, you just hope he turns it around and this is a rough first half. That’s all you can hope for. “Right now, the Red Sox aren’t really skipping a beat with his 7 1/2 or whatever ERA it is. That’s the good news. [ Josh ] Beckett ‘s got under a [2.00]. That’s the good news. So, it’s almost like you’re flip-flopping for the time being — when Beckett was struggling the last year and a half, and everybody wanted him out of Boston. “But an injury’s an injury. I don’t know how healthy John Lackey is. The one thing I know is he’s a bulldog. He wants to pitch. He’s not great in the press conferences. He hasn’t answered the questions very well at times. But you know what? That’s not what he’s paid to do. He’s paid to get guys out. Hopefully, he’s going to have a better second half.” Center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury has had a huge season following an injury-plagued 2010. “I always thought he was a 15-home run guy,” Millar said. “He’s obviously going to steal 50-70 bags. He’s a guy that gets on base, scraps at the plate. We questioned his toughness, though. I mean, that’s a fact. We questioned him going to Arizona and not being with his teammates for a rib injury. That’s what we questioned I think as teammates of his, and as media guys, as fans. “We were a little scared of his toughness. But now, you know, Ellsbury came back and he’s kind of proven to guys, ‘Listen, I’m OK. I’m healthy. I am the player I was before I got hurt.’ And you hope he doesn’t get into another injury situation, because when he’s on the field he’s as good as anybody.  He’s very similar to Carl Crawford . That’s why the signing of C.C. early on, I was like ‘Whoa.’ They have a guy in Ellsbury, and in my opinion they’re very similar players. They’re capable of power. They both run. Great defense. But, hitting 1-2 was going to be like, ‘Where do you hit them because you have [ Dustin ] Pedroia ?’ But I think Ellsbury’s a great player.” Millar also is high on 24-year-old outfielder Josh Reddick . Reddick is batting .377 in limited action this season. “I think this kid’s talented, Millar said. “I think this kid is worth a shot. I mean, why not? You don’t always have to go with the big-name guy. Give a guy an opportunity. That’s how you get experience. They have enough firepower to mix and match if things don’t work out, but right now you’ve got a few weeks left before the deadline and, you know, throw him out there.”
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

It's interesting how much of a contrast Millar was from JD Drew in many ways.  Drew came up as the most highly touted prospect who rejected Phillie after being drafted, while Millar entered the league as a replacement player during a strike season.  Drew is highly skilled in nearly every aspect of the game.  Millar looked clumsy.  Drew is quiet and seemingly dull, while Millar is loquacious and charismatic.  

Still, while I agree that JD Drew is dead weight this season, at least on offense, I think that Millar overlooked his other contributions as a member of the Red Sox, especially his ability to get on base.  This is ironic in that Millar's contribution as an offensive player was enhanced by his ability to draw his share of walks too, as his surface numbers alone (BA, home runs, RBI) were very pedestrian considering his role as a starting first baseman. 

As far as his trade assessment goes, Millar sounds like another restless Red Sox fan rather than a GM.  Why the heck would the Mets want to acquire JD Drew at this point?  That doesn't make any sense at all.  Although they may want to unload the remainder of Beltran's contract, they would at least want to secure some promising young players or prospects from such a deal.  At least Beltran is worth something for a team in pennant race.  JD Drew isn't worth a paper bag of Kevin Millar dog doodoo at this point in time.    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Millar on WEEI: 'J.D. Drew is dead weight':
    [QUOTE]Based on Theo's analysis, any team would love to take Drew because at 14 million, he is actually a very good value. Drew should be relagated to a bench role at this time and should be the next man out when it's time for a roster change.  Folks, we may have finally seen the end of this clown.  And whether you like Drew or not, at least you won't have to deal with my rants over the guy once he's receives his unconditional release.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a reasonable tradeoff, although I'm doubtful you would uphold your end of the bargain. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I hope I am mistaken here but are you claiming that Drew is getting on base at a decent clip this season?  Or even last season for that matter?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Who would you rather have on your team? Beltran or Drew? If both are healthy it's Beltran by a lot. Why would you trade for a lesser player?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, there is no way any team would take Drew w/o the Sox eating his salary; and even then who knows.  At least in the Cameron sitaution Cameron comes with a repuatation as a clubhouse guy where Drew has burned bridges with 20% of the league.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

guess millar still has a good eye too unlike all the stevie wonder drew fans on this board!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]guess millar still has a good eye too unlike all the stevie wonder drew fans on this board!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Maybe a good eye.  But perhaps rapid lip movements or posting fingers that move faster than a thick skull. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Drew wouldn't cost a team 14 mil at this point, it would be more around 7.

Can we institute a law that states; from now on any J.D. Drew thread must be labeled "oh no, not another J.D. Drew thread"

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Drew is still one of the best defensive RF'ers in baseball. He's old and has declined at the plate, but can still get on base and hit a RHP with one good swing. That makes him a good bench guy to split time with Reddick, who is doing well at the moment. What Kevis is missing is that Drew is not the problem, and trading him is not the solution. The problem is that Theo poorly constructed the 2011 OF. Ellsbury should be traded for a profile like Kemp, plain and simple.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

you want to trade our all star outfielder, leading basestealer, and a guy who covers more ground than any outfielder we ever had to improve our outfield...say what???

beyond dumb

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Most of the WEEI personalities and even Peter Gammons are harping on Drew... time for the Sherrif and the other self-ordained brain trust here to start calling WEEI haters, bashers, and morons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Drew is still one of the best defensive RF'ers in baseball. He's old and has declined at the plate, but can still get on base and hit a RHP with one good swing. That makes him a good bench guy to split time with Reddick, who is doing well at the moment. What Kevis is missing is that Drew is not the problem, and trading him is not the solution. The problem is that Theo poorly constructed the 2011 OF. Ellsbury should be traded for a profile like Kemp, plain and simple.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Please cite the stats that you are looking at that tells you that he is "still good at getting on base", thank you

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Ellsbury is a better player than the grossly overpaid Crawford, but yeah, I would trade Ells for Kemp in a minute; this lineup with Kemp hitting third or fourth would be really something. When management blew its budget on Crawford they cited in addition to play, his character; but the guy essentially refuses to be a leadoff hitter, which if the team were to trade Ells, further hamstrings things. Obviously, moving Crawford and keeping Ells would be the best solution in a perferct world, but management royally screwed themselves with the Crawford contract and have limited flexibility at this point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Uh huh, and who bats leadoff?

Ellsbury is a keeper.  Period.  Lead off hittes and defensive CF's don't come around every day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Good point, I edited my comment above to include the fact that "high character" Crawford all but refuses to hit leadoff. His contract is an albatross around the neck of the front office.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Next time just post the link.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If you want to trade Crawford for Kemp, I am all ears.......