Miller out for the year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Miller out for the year

Season ending surgery due to ligament damage in foot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Miller out for the year

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Season ending surgery due to ligament damage in foot.

Tough break for him and the team. The bullpen was a concern before. More so now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Especially tough with Breslow, our other lefty reliever, not pitching lights-out at the moment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Not good news. This will force their hand. We need at least two very reliable RP now. Even before this injury we need them. Might be time to see what some of our youngsters have in the tank.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think they should give LHP Drake Britton a try in the pen before they look for a trade. Although they have been rumored to be interested in CWS LHP Matt Thornton...

Miller was having a decent year too. Tough break.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I think they should give LHP Drake Britton a try in the pen before they look for a trade. Although they have been rumored to be interested in CWS LHP Matt Thornton...

They should do that immediately. The trade deadline is coming up very soon.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Yep, be careful with Kenny Williams, he's not GM anymore, he's a slickster, he loved Prospects. Still makes a lot of decisions for WS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Blech!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This is when other GM's are like sharks in the water. A key injury, First Place, Good Prospects in Farm. You have to think Ben. Dont do anything irrational.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I'm with you on that. As far as I'm concerned we are playing with house money at this point. I would look for EVERV opurtunity to involve as many of the younger players in the system to gain experience in a playoff hunt. It could really pay dividends for many years to come. Bring em all up....forget trades that may or may not work out..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Might as well start calling on Ruby, and other prospect. Is now or never.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

FWIW, I very much like the attitude in this thread.  We all seem to realize that this team may be on the cusp of a long run of very good talent IF we don't make some stupid trades to compromise it in the interest of winning NOW. 

I would kick the tires on Thornton, but as CWOTB says, the GM's can smell blood now and they're going to be showing up with masks and guns.  If the Sox can't get a reasonable deal for a RP, stand pat and give some of the young stuff a try.  Relievers are a quirky bunch at best, often times on again off again.  As I've said before, they're relief pitchers because they're not good enough to start and not good enough to close - so don't overpay for one.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm with you on that. As far as I'm concerned we are playing with house money at this point. I would look for EVERV opurtunity to involve as many of the younger players in the system to gain experience in a playoff hunt. It could really pay dividends for many years to come. Bring em all up....forget trades that may or may not work out..

[/QUOTE]

The team has far exceeded the expectations of most knowledgeable people. They are one of the surprise teams in baseball. Before the season started the "experts" did not have them finishing first and most didn't have them making the playoffs. However, right now our SP is doing the job and the offense is scoring runs. I would hate to see them waste this season by not making a couple of trades to address the bullpen needs as long as they do not surrender the house.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Really tough break for Miller as he was pitching very well. Let's go get Matt Thornton.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Might as well start calling on Ruby, and other prospect. Is now or never.

Especially after last nights outing when he didn't last two innings and gave up 6 ER. Really?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Miller was having a really good year.  I feel badly for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Ah Crap, We Didnt Need That....Frown......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

who would want to give up prospects to replace Miller? 

NOBODY

he can be replaced - just like evryone else in the bullpen....

Ben should not even be considering such a move

As always - 100% correct!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Perhaps Ben Cherington is in Seattle to complete a trade for lefthander Oliver Perez, who has an ERA of 1.74 and an ERA+ of 217 with 70 strikeouts in 62 innings over 68 appearances since joining the Seattle bullpen last season.

Or not.

The Red Sox apparently have a couple of open slots on the 40-man roster.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Tough luck with the bullpen this year.  Too bad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Miller really found his role with the Sox. This is going to hurt.

We need Bailey to get back into form real quick. That would slide Uehara and Tazawa back where their comfort zone resides. We still could use a Jesse Crain, but overpaying for a RP is a killer.

Sox4ever

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

This is when other GM's are like sharks in the water. A key injury, First Place, Good Prospects in Farm. You have to think Ben. Dont do anything irrational.

Ben was going to do something impulsive and reckless until your admonishment shook him from his stupor.  

Sections
Shortcuts