Miller Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Miller Time

Andrew looking good.  Fastball right around 93, topping at 96.  Good control.  Of course, its just ST, but not just any ST.  There are jobs to be won.  Notably, fifth starter.  Maybe McClure's magic touch finally gets Andrew to his potential?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Miller Time

The more articles I read about McClure the more I like him.....his approach of treating guys like individuals and letting them do what works for them rather than trying to change every pitchers mechanics to fit a mold is the way to go....another reason I can see Dice K have a great second half for us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Saluda. Show Saluda's posts

In Response to Re: Miller Time:
    [QUOTE]The more articles I read about McClure the more I like him.....his approach of treating guys like individuals and letting them do what works for them rather than trying to change every pitchers mechanics to fit a mold is the way to go....another reason I can see Dice K have a great second half for us.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]
     agree fullyCool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The more articles I read about McClure the more I like him.....his approach of treating guys like individuals and letting them do what works for them rather than trying to change every pitchers mechanics to fit a mold is the way to go....another reason I can see Dice K have a great second half for us.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Tom.  McClure is very different from Farrell, thats for sure.  I also like the prospects for Matsuzaka.  McClure's individual approach and Bobby V's familiarity with Japanese and, more importantly, Japanese pitchers might really bring the best out of him.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Miller Time:
    [QUOTE]Andrew looking good.  Fastball right around 93, topping at 96.  Good control.  Of course, its just ST, but not just any ST.  There are jobs to be won.  Notably, fifth starter.  Maybe McClure's magic touch finally gets Andrew to his potential?  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]  I LIKE IT SPACEMAN.......  MILLER TO LAVARNWAY..... REMINDS ME OF BILL LEE  TO CARLTON FISK !!!!  YA THINK !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Miller Time :   I LIKE IT SPACEMAN.......  MILLER TO LAVARNWAY..... REMINDS ME OF BILL LEE  TO CARLTON FISK !!!!  YA THINK !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

hahahaha.  You're killin' me with all this Lavarnway hype Bill.  But, I guess as long as I'm getting hyped over Andrew Miller, I have no room to criticize.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Hope McClure and perform the magic on Miller.....however did we not have a thread with the exact same heading last year when he came up??? The results last year were not good.

I agree that McClure, early on anyway, shows very good signs of a value add relative to Young last year and I do think with Bobby V's experience with Japanese players and the fact that he speaks Japanese, as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

He has the best asset as a lefty pitcher.  His figure.  His height, arm length etc.  Lefty batters will have serious problems with Miller pitching on the mound.  But it depends on his control ability.  He kind of seemed not able to find solid control of his fastballs yesterday especially against lefty hitters.  On the other hand, his sliders were nasty.  If he can have that consistency on his fastballs, Miller can be that lefty one-two punch behind Lester.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

As I stated, before it happened, huge mistake to go with the Wastefield ceremonial tour in 2011. Miller had a very good road ERA, but was never allowed a regular starter's schedule for any length of time at all.

Where Miller ends up for 2012 season is dubious, but alloting time to those other than Wastefield will pay dividends.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]As I stated, before it happened, huge mistake to go with the Wastefield ceremonial tour in 2011. Miller had a very good road ERA, but was never allowed a regular starter's schedule for any length of time at all. Where Miller ends up for 2012 season is dubious, but alloting time to those other than Wastefield will pay dividends.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]
    Softlaw, is there a drop dead date at which you will stop with the Wakefield references? You most likely will make a negative Wakefield comment every single time in 2012 that a number 4 or 5 starter does even marginally well. So having said that, although an entire season of negative Wakefield comments is at best sickening, may we agree that once the final 2012 game is over for the Red Sox that your negative Wakefield comments will cease? Or are your Wakefield tirades going to continue forever?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

After the time and money is invested elsewhere for 2012, 2013 will bring an official end to my awareness campaign on why emotion and past deeds alone have no place in roster decisions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]After the time and money is invested elsewhere for 2012, 2013 will bring an official end to my awareness campaign on why emotion and past deeds alone have no place in roster decisions.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]AND THAT MR.  H W  IS A    B I N G O !!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Bill-806, you are one of the few posters I would like to sit down with and have a beer summit at taxpayers expense, with a fellow corpseman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]As I stated, before it happened, huge mistake to go with the Wastefield ceremonial tour in 2011. Miller had a very good road ERA, but was never allowed a regular starter's schedule for any length of time at all. Where Miller ends up for 2012 season is dubious, but alloting time to those other than Wastefield will pay dividends.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

My God man, will you just quit already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I'm excited about the youth and the Red Sox future, so pardon me if I invoke the departed name of Wakefield, during the first year he is gone, in millions of years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : hahahaha.  You're killin' me with all this Lavarnway hype Bill.  But, I guess as long as I'm getting hyped over Andrew Miller , I have no room to criticize.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Just saw Stephen King's new book; "The Man Who Loved Ryan Lavarnway"...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Miller Time :   I LIKE IT SPACEMAN.......  MILLER TO LAVARNWAY..... REMINDS ME OF BILL LEE  TO CARLTON FISK !!!!  YA THINK !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

I am going to have to ask you to tone it down son

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Andrew looking good.  Fastball right around 93, topping at 96.  Good control.  Of course, its just ST, but not just any ST.  There are jobs to be won.  Notably, fifth starter.  Maybe McClure's magic touch finally gets Andrew to his potential?  

Miller taking charge of our number five slot and being productive wouldn't surprise me at all pal.  We have all seen the talent if he can control it and what a huge boost to the staff he could be. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I hope so, Space...

I'm a huge Miller fan.  Dunno why, but just maybe cuz I'd like to seee him do well.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I still need to see more from Miller, it seems he has had flashes of greatness followed by disaster control. He's got the talent, and maybe this is the year he puts it together. If he does however.....I think he's got to get that 5th spot. Having a second LHP quality arm is gold in the AL east, especially going into NY

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Miller's time may already have come and gone...Bottom line at the big league level is command in the zone. Something that has escaped him since being drafted. His stuff is that of a big leaguer, his command is that of a little leaguer. Every thing works off the fastball and if you can't command that pitch to both sides of the plate. Big league hitters with spit on your secondary stuff and sit dead red to the side of the plate where they know you're more likely to throw the fastball in the zone.

Like many of you, I want to see the kid to succeed. He might well be the poster boy for why you shouldn't rush young pitchers to the big league level before they show they can navigate a professional lineup at the minor league level first. Unfortunately he's out of options because. It might actually serve him well to spend an entire season at AAA. Where he can without the pressure of the big league stage. Work on rediscoving his arm slot that made him a #1 pick in the draft. Similar to what they did with Buccholz in 2008.

Here's the deal in the big picture for the Red Sox. In order for Miller to win the #5 job. He has to demostrate that he can take the ball every 5 days, command the zone and carry his fair share of the innings load...Then it's up to McClure,Valentine & Cherington to access his progress, based on last seasons spotty results and his spring perfromance, weighted against the competition Aceves, Doubront, Padilla & Cook's (assuming that Bard is our #4).

In my mind the the job's his to lose.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Miller's time may already have come and gone...Bottom line at the big league level is command in the zone. Something that has escaped him since being drafted. His stuff is that of a big leaguer, his command is that of a little leaguer. Every thing works off the fastball and if you can't command that pitch to both sides of the plate. Big league hitters with spit on your secondary stuff and sit dead red to the side of the plate where they know you're more likely to throw the fastball in the zone. Like many of you, I want to see the kid to succeed. He might well be the poster boy for why you shouldn't rush young pitchers to the big league level before they show they can navigate a professional lineup at the minor league level first. Unfortunately he's out of options because. It might actually serve him well to spend an entire season at AAA. Where he can without the pressure of the big league stage. Work on rediscoving his arm slot that made him a #1 pick in the draft. Similar to what they did with Buccholz in 2008. Here's the deal in the big picture for the Red Sox. In order for Miller to win the #5 job. He has to demostrate that he can take the ball every 5 days, command the zone and carry his fair share of the innings load...Then it's up to McClure,Valentine & Cherington to access his progress, based on last seasons spotty results and his spring perfromance, weighted against the competition Aceves, Doubront, Padilla & Cook's (assuming that Bard is our #4). In my mind the the job's his to lose.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Good post Bean....his saving grace may be that he has no Options left.....and if his spring is good, but not great, the Sox may not want to lose him. Assuming Bobby V wants to carry 12 pitchers, there are 9 that would seem to be set. Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Bard, Aceves, Bailey, Melancon, Albers and Morales....that leaves 3 spots. Not considering who is in the rotation and who is in the Bullpen....and forget all the DL guys for now also.....Miller, Doubront, Bowden are guys on the 40 man Roster out of Options....and if they don't make the team they will never clear waivers....Non Roster guys that I guess would be in the mix are Atchison, Cook, Ohlendorf, Padilla and Silva. I wouldnt be surprised if Bard gets the 4 spot and Miller or Doubront wins the 5th spot, that the last 2 bullpen roles could go to Bowden  and Miller/Doubront, as to not lose them.....if a Silva/Padilla/Cook happens to win a rotation spot, then at least one of them is gone....I am sure the Sox would try and pull off a minor trade rather than expose them to waivers. I have a gut feeling Doubront wins the 5th spot in the rotation.....Miller gets a chance to see if he can fill a 6th inning, 7th inning role and Bowden gets a shot at the long role. That way you add a second lefty to the rotation and to the Pen. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : hahahaha.  You're killin' me with all this Lavarnway hype Bill.  But, I guess as long as I'm getting hyped over Andrew Miller , I have no room to criticize.

Hahaha...indeed!  But if now is not the time for dreaming, when is?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : Good post Bean....his saving grace may be that he has no Options left.....and if his spring is good, but not great, the Sox may not want to lose him. Assuming Bobby V wants to carry 12 pitchers, there are 9 that would seem to be set. Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Bard, Aceves, Bailey, Melancon, Albers and Morales....that leaves 3 spots. Not considering who is in the rotation and who is in the Bullpen....and forget all the DL guys for now also.....Miller, Doubront, Bowden are guys on the 40 man Roster out of Options....and if they don't make the team they will never clear waivers....Non Roster guys that I guess would be in the mix are Atchison, Cook, Ohlendorf, Padilla and Silva. I wouldnt be surprised if Bard gets the 4 spot and Miller or Doubront wins the 5th spot, that the last 2 bullpen roles could go to Bowden  and Miller/Doubront, as to not lose them.....if a Silva/Padilla/Cook happens to win a rotation spot, then at least one of them is gone....I am sure the Sox would try and pull off a minor trade rather than expose them to waivers. I have a gut feeling Doubront wins the 5th spot in the rotation.....Miller gets a chance to see if he can fill a 6th inning, 7th inning role and Bowden gets a shot at the long role. That way you add a second lefty to the rotation and to the Pen. 
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

I think we're close in terms of how we see the staff taking shape. The pending return of Matsusaka will also be part of the big picture plan. Who when ready will likely bump one of the above from the rotation. Based on reports that he might be ready to go by July 1st or sooner? All the Sox have to do is cobble the rotation together and get 15 or so starts out of the 5th spot assuming Beckett, Lester, Buccholz and Bard all stay healthy with the caviat of Bard's workload also has to be facotored into the plan as well.

Here's my breakdown if we broke camp today...

Rotation; Lester, Beckett, Buccholz, Bard & Miller or Doubront

Pen; Bailey, Melancon, Aceves, Morales, Albers, Bowden & Miller or Dobrount.

On the bubble; Padilla & Cook

DL; Matsusaka

If as you suggest that they look to move Bowden or Miller then I could see a spot opening up for Padilla or Cook. Whichever one has the best showing this spring. Cook's resume and reputation in my mind gives him a leg up on the erratic and tempermental Padilla who has a sorid history of off and on field behavoral issues. They could also have a change of heart with Bard, opening up two slots in the rotation? Though I don't think that changes the names? It would give both Miller & Doubront and or one of the above veterans a path to being part of the opening day rotation. Aceves is also in the mix, but his value lies in his ability to pitch out of the pen and give them both quanitity and quality innings a a set-up guy.

Time will tell....