Miller Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Miller Time

Miller's command will only come if he's able to follow a consistent routine, and approach.  Randy Johnson led the league in walks three of his first four years, but he played on a bad team where there was no question he would take the ball every five days.  I'm not sure the Sox can afford that luxury, but given time and a consistent routine, I think Miller will be very successful.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Miller Time:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : I'm not sure the Sox can afford that luxury that's really key for both our teams miller is very hard to walk away from but so far only walks & fools gold comes to mind not sure if you / any contender  can afford  to  carry him as a mop up guy
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I would let him battle Aceves this Spring for the last rotation spot, and release him if he pitches poorly.  It would be better for both Miller and the club.  If he does win the spot, though, there's still a good chance that Aceves gets a lot of starts, given the health history of our pitchers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : I agree.  I would let him battle Aceves this Spring for the last rotation spot, and release him if he pitches poorly.  It would be better for both Miller and the club.  If he does win the spot, though, there's still a good chance that Aceves gets a lot of starts, given the health history of our pitchers.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Exactly, you can never have too much pitching.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hope this isn't much of an issue.This is from ESPNBoston.com:

Bobby Valentine, meanwhile, told reporters in Dunedin Wednesday morning that Andrew Miller will not make his scheduled appearance Thursday. Miller reported a little stiffness in his elbow. Valentine called it a "little" issue, according to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Miller's command will only come if he's able to follow a consistent routine, and approach.  Randy Johnson led the league in walks three of his first four years, but he played on a bad team where there was no question he would take the ball every five days.  I'm not sure the Sox can afford that luxury, but given time and a consistent routine, I think Miller will be very successful.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

slomag...
    Miller was given a pretty good shot with the Marlins and had more than his share of chances last year to show that he deserves to be on a big league roster. So while the Randy Johnson comparison has merit. For Miller, I'd have to think that the light has to come on sooner as opposed to later if he wants to stick with the Sox.

End of the day, the time is now for him. He doesn't have to be Randy Johnson, but he does have to throw strikes.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He is hurt, team saying its minor, but after last year With Bucholtz, I find the credibility of the Red Sox Medical Staff as , shall we say "suspect". I hope he is okay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm with bean. I hope he gets his act together, but am not holding my breath. The guy has had several seasons to learn control. I suppose he could gain it at any time and become a very good pitcher, but I don't think it will happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with bean. I hope he gets his act together, but am not holding my breath. The guy has had several seasons to learn control. I suppose he could gain it at any time and become a very good pitcher, but I don't think it will happen.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I dont think he ever fixes his control issues, but I think that he will contain the problem enough to be a decent #5 starter.  With his stuff, he needs D+ control to stick as the #5.

Come on Miller!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : I dont think he ever fixes his control issues, but I think that he will contain the problem enough to be a decent #5 starter.  With his stuff, he needs D+ control to stick as the #5. Come on Miller!
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

As long as Beckett, Lester and Buch are all healthy and pitching well, yes, but when's the last time that happened?

Cue: crickets

We may need a nice boost from our 4 and 5 slots this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : As long as Beckett, Lester and Buch are all healthy and pitching well, yes, but when's the last time that happened? Cue: crickets We may need a nice boost from our 4 and 5 slots this year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.  But to become our fifth starter, Miller needs to be the best option (including external options).  He doesnt need to be a great fifth starter.

Need is kind of irrelevant.  The A's need an elite #3 hitter.  But that doesnt mean they'll have one.

I guess my point is: If we need a great #5 starter, and Miller isn't a great #5 starter, but he's thebest #5 starter we can put out there (including external candidates), he'll be our #5 starter.  I predict that he will be (or at least until DiceK gets back).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Amazing that ownership didn't intervene and pay 1 million for the return of the great Tim Wastefield, one of the top #5 starters in MLB history, over the last few years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]Amazing that ownership didn't intervene and pay 1 million for the return of the great Tim Wastefield, one of the top #5 starters in MLB history, over the last few years.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

LOL, you know that it's John Henry's (and not tax-payer) money, correct?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : Completely agree.  But to become our fifth starter, Miller needs to be the best option (including external options).  He doesnt need to be a great fifth starter. Need is kind of irrelevant.  The A's need an elite #3 hitter.  But that doesnt mean they'll have one. I guess my point is: If we need a great #5 starter, and Miller isn't a great #5 starter, but he's thebest #5 starter we can put out there (including external candidates), he'll be our #5 starter.  I predict that he will be (or at least until DiceK gets back).
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

I agree with your premiss, that he need only be our best option vs the best #5 in the game. Therein lyes the key, is he our best option? I would think that he has the inside track, but I wouldn't rule out Cook if he has a good spring nor Doubront (who I think is the guy that the Sox want to step up and win the job).

Regarding his control, frankly if he doesn't fix it, he'll end up selling cars. As I stated in one of my post above. To have sustained success at the big league level you must command your fastball to both sides of the plate. The road to the big leagues is littered with big arm guys that washed out becasue they couldn't throw strikes. It doesn't matter how hard you throw the ball or how nasty your stuff is, big league hitters will catch up to anyones fastball and spit on thier secondary pitches if they show they can't consistently hit thier spots...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Would be nice for him or Doubront to finally take the next step and become the #5 the RS desperately need. Its there for either one of them. In years past seemed RS always had about 7 starters fighting for 5 spots, this year is different finally gives some of these young guys some hope. But can they take the next step?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : I agree with your premiss, that he need only be our best option vs the best #5 in the game. Therein lyes the key, is he our best option? I would think that he has the inside track, but I wouldn't rule out Cook if he has a good spring nor Doubront (who I think is the guy that the Sox want to step up and win the job). Regarding his control, frankly if he doesn't fix it, he'll end up selling cars. As I stated in one of my post above. To have sustained success at the big league level you must command your fastball to both sides of the plate. The road to the big leagues is littered with big arm guys that washed out becasue they couldn't throw strikes. It doesn't matter how hard you throw the ball or how nasty your stuff is, big league hitters will catch up to anyones fastball and spit on thier secondary pitches if they show they can't consistently hit thier spots...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Agreed , good points.

Here is my prediction of who is most likely to be our #5 starter (assuming Bard is #4)
    1. Miller
    2. Dice-K (useless out of the pen, which is why I have him this high)
    3. Cook (If Iggy is at SS, this sinkerballer is an intriguing option)
    4. Aceves (I think they want him to be a bullpen pitcher/spot starter)
    5. Padilla (I think that at this stage of his career, he is better suited out of the pen...But i think he'll contribute there)
    6. Dubront (think he winds up out of the pen this year)
    7. Someone else

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Miller Time:
    [QUOTE]Andrew looking good.  Fastball right around 93, topping at 96.  Good control.  Of course, its just ST, but not just any ST.  There are jobs to be won.  Notably, fifth starter.  Maybe McClure's magic touch finally gets Andrew to his potential?  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Miller time?

I thought they preferred Bud Light with their chicken........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Miller Time : Miller time? I thought they preferred Bud Light with their chicken........
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Really Babe?  At least try.  I expect zingers from you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : Really Babe?  At least try.  I expect zingers from you.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well, it's only spring training. Just like Pineda, I may need a few more starts to get my fastball up to the mid 90's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Miller Time : Well, it's only spring training. Just like Pineda, I may need a few more starts to get my fastball up to the mid 90's.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

yeah, I can see you are a little out of shape.  Not to mention, you reported late.