Minor League system.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Minor League system.

Thought It might be fun to start another thread on the strength of the system after draft deadline.  Also the Internation period has begun and we have the trade deadline coming up. 

Fangraphs just came out with a new mid-season top 50.  On Average each team should have 1-2 players in the top 50 we have 5.  The Yankees have 1. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-2013-mid-season-top-50-prospects/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Minor League system.

Heres a little something on 3b prospect Garin Cecchini

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/15/for-garin-cecchini-one-goal-fulfilled-more-remain/

This kid is looking more and more like the real deal every day. Love his confidence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I REALLY like Cecchini.  I think Ranaudo might have a little bit of helium but I thnk CEcchini might actually be a bit low on that list.  If his power develops I can see him being a top 25 pre season next year (maybe higher).  Also Cecchini struggled earlier in his career with some injuries that took him a while to recover from.  So initially he was a tad bit age advanced (at least for a top prospect) performing very well but it could be someowhat explained by that age advancement.....now All of a sudden he's jumped to Portland and shows no signs of slowing down.  Now we are looking at a kid who can be knocking down the door in about a year from now at a young 23. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I REALLY like Cecchini.  I think Ranaudo might have a little bit of helium but I thnk CEcchini might actually be a bit low on that list.  If his power develops I can see him being a top 25 pre season next year (maybe higher).  Also Cecchini struggled earlier in his career with some injuries that took him a while to recover from.  So initially he was a tad bit age advanced (at least for a top prospect) performing very well but it could be someowhat explained by that age advancement.....now All of a sudden he's jumped to Portland and shows no signs of slowing down.  Now we are looking at a kid who can be knocking down the door in about a year from now at a young 23. 

Im really amped about cecchini. WMB better start figuring things out. Come next year Cecchini will be at AAA and there will be some issues to work out. Honestly, WMB will never be the kind of pure hitter Cecchini is, and with Bogey there as well....The Sox have a nice "problem" on their hands.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

I, to, am on the Cecchini wagon! Who cares about power! If the guy can hit .300+ and average a .350+OBP who wouldn't love that??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Cecchini with the home run tonight.  He's on track to quadruple his HR total this year....I think he will end up developing 20-25 HR power.  Which is fine with me with his high Avg and OBP.

I can see Cecchini having very similar seasons to Kevin Youkilis.  (minus the injuries of course)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

So he has a great arm, Can hit for average (and OBP), has good speed, defense?...Now if he hits for power (I consider 20-25HR hitting for power, not sure what is truly considered hitting for power though) That looks like 5 tools to me.

Now, Ive never seen him play, so Im going by reports. I see a lot of SB, great BA and OBP, showing some power, and a good arm The only thing I might have to question is defense for now. A .925 Fld% isnt that great. Could be just being 22yrs old. But even if his D wasnt great, Its not a liability and Ill take those 4 other tools.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Wade Boggs was a 1st Baseman throughout his Minor League career. Converted late in Triple AAA to 3rd base, and did OK. Start with the bat, and if you work hard the Defense will come.

Funny thing Jeff Bagwell was 3rd Baseman throughout his Career, converted to 1st when he got sent to Houston. Big reason why that trade was made. No room at 3rd for awhile.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've heard his defense is a little dissapointing as well.  Supposedly he's a real big baseball rat in the mold of Dustin Pedrioa; he just really loves the game.  I can see working hard to improve and also perhaps he has the smarts and dedication to excel at a lesser demanding position.  Regardless I think he will be fine. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thats why Im Ok with it for now. Sometimes it takes some time for the defense to develop. With kids like Cecchini and Bogey, their natural ability on offense has been their strong points , so its not unusual for the defense to have to "catch up" to the offense. The same could be said with Iggy, except reverse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Exactly just like learning to hit.  You need repetitions taking grounders just like you need it seeing pitches.  He will never have the glove JBJ does but I think he has the capacity to become an average defender (and at multiple positions) in the same mold as a Ben Zoberist. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Another kid thats starting to make a few waves is Mookie Betts (LOVE that name!) Hes a SS that is learning 2b in pro ball. IM sure he could be fine at either position. Has a great approach at the plate and solid defense. Built in the mold of Pedey. Not a lot of power right now, but could project as a very good on-base hitter with a lot of XBH with his speed. He also has a very good SB%. Hes only 20 and just got promoted to Salem, so hes still 2-3 years away.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Even if Xman and Cecch surface at the MLB level this season--hopefully they have gotten some opportunities to practice at different positions even if they haven't had game time experience.

I could easily visualize Boggie at third or left  with strong SS range and a plus arm and Cecchini at 3 B or 1 B.

As we look at prospects--they are, just that, prospects until they show they belong. Webster, Wright and Workman have shown some signs but you need to see them 4 to 8 times to see how they deal with things.

I don't think I would give up on any of them yet and trade them for a 2 month rental like Garza unless Garza agreed to a contract extension before the deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Another kid thats starting to make a few waves is Mookie Betts (LOVE that name!) Hes a SS that is learning 2b in pro ball. IM sure he could be fine at either position. Has a great approach at the plate and solid defense. Built in the mold of Pedey. Not a lot of power right now, but could project as a very good on-base hitter with a lot of XBH with his speed. He also has a very good SB%. Hes only 20 and just got promoted to Salem, so hes still 2-3 years away.

I think he doesn't get a lot of respect because of his size.  Seriously what second baseman under 5"9 has ever been any good?

No but I think Mookie is a real intriguing prospect as well.  It will be interesting to see what he does in the higher minors.  Mookie is starting to look the 2011 draft look even better. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Even if Xman and Cecch surface at the MLB level this season--hopefully they have gotten some opportunities to practice at different positions even if they haven't had game time experience.

I could easily visualize Boggie at third or left  with strong SS range and a plus arm and Cecchini at 3 B or 1 B.

As we look at prospects--they are, just that, prospects until they show they belong. Webster, Wright and Workman have shown some signs but you need to see them 4 to 8 times to see how they deal with things.

I don't think I would give up on any of them yet and trade them for a 2 month rental like Garza unless Garza agreed to a contract extension before the deal.

lets pump the breaks on Cecchini this year he only has 78 at bats above single A. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Wade Boggs was a 1st Baseman throughout his Minor League career. Converted late in Triple AAA to 3rd base, and did OK. Start with the bat, and if you work hard the Defense will come.

Nope -- Boggs went through the minors primarily as a 3B (433 games). He played only 42 games at 1B, 35 coming in his last season (1981) in the minors when he also played 101 games at 3B. The Boggs to 1B was sort of like Iggy and Bogarts getting some games at another position in Triple-A. The Sox gave Boggs some 1B games late in his minor career to give him another spot to play. With Lansford at 3B, that allowed Boggs to play 1B in the majors as a rookie before moving back to 3B.

That's why with any prospect, it's good to be versatile. It might get you to the majors a bit earlier if your normal position is blocked but you can play at another spot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron wrote a glowing assessment of Xander Bogaerts:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2013-trade-value-30-26/

Scroll down to No. 29 on the trade value list.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Henry Owens with a 6 inning no hitter tonight for Salem.

89 pitches, 4 BB , 10K.

Not bad for a rising 20 year old in our system

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's a good article from Mike Andrews (Soxprospects.com) about some of the Sox trade chips:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/29168/soxprospects-stocked-with-trade-chips

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

89 pitches, 4 BB , 10K.

Henry Ramos had 2 HR's in that game.  21 years old he's even younger to baseball, he was one of those little baseball experience high athletic guys the sox signed 4 years ago and it looks like he may be putting it together.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

89 pitches, 4 BB , 10K.

With Matty Ott and Matt Price completing the No No the final 3IP.

Im thinking we could see some more movement with our pitching prospects before the year is out. Maybe Ranaudo to AAA and Owens to AA could be a legit possibility.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

89 pitches, 4 BB , 10K.

Henry Ramos had 2 HR's in that game.  21 years old he's even younger to baseball, he was one of those little baseball experience high athletic guys the sox signed 4 years ago and it looks like he may be putting it together.

[/QUOTE]

He looks to be improving a decent amount this year. Obviously still needs work, but its nice to see some solid improvement. It looks like defense is lagging behind his offense some. He'll be one to keep an eye on the next 2 years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

89 pitches, 4 BB , 10K.

I know I should resist, but ...

Last night 18-year-old righthander Victor Sanchez pitched a no-hitter (9 IP, 8 K, 0 BB) as the Clinton Lumber Kings topped the Lansing Lugnuts in the Class A Midwest League:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2013_07_17_lanafx_cliafx_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

How often does an 18-year-old go nine innings?

On his preseason prospect list, John Sickels ranked Sanchez 95th and Henry Owens 137th, although the FanGraphs midseason prospect rankings had Owens 50th and Sanchez unranked.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/3/13/4095252/minor-league-ball-top-150-prospects-for-2013-john-sickels

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-2013-mid-season-top-50-prospects/

Each has a promising future.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/7/18/4534646/minor-league-ball-top-75-prospects-mid-season-update

Xander Bogaerts at #2

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

JBJ @ 20 (24 keith laws new list)

Cecchini @ 30 (20)

Webster @ 59 (graduated)

Owens @ (63) (31) 

Sox are very well represented.  the only Yankee on these lists is Sanchez at 35 but as low as 49 on Keith Laws list.  FWIW Keith law was the guy who was very high on the Yankees system and the only guy to list them ahead of Boston over the offseason. Now the Red Sox have 4 prospects in his top 50 with all 4 being ahead of the first Yankee.  FWIW.