Minor League system.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Minor League system.

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Wade Boggs was a 1st Baseman throughout his Minor League career. Converted late in Triple AAA to 3rd base, and did OK. Start with the bat, and if you work hard the Defense will come.

Funny thing Jeff Bagwell was 3rd Baseman throughout his Career, converted to 1st when he got sent to Houston. Big reason why that trade was made. No room at 3rd for awhile.

Games played by position for Boggs in the minors:

433  3B

42  1B

40  2B

33  SS

His first season, 1976, he played all games (57) at 3B. He never played 1B until 7 games in 1980, then 35 in 1981. When he came up to the Sox in 1982, he played about the same amount at 1B and 3B, then went exclusively to 3B for many many years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

Henry Owens with a 6 inning no hitter tonight for Salem.

89 pitches, 4 BB , 10K.

Not bad for a rising 20 year old in our system

I know I should resist, but ...

Last night 18-year-old righthander Victor Sanchez pitched a no-hitter (9 IP, 8 K, 0 BB) as the Clinton Lumber Kings topped the Lansing Lugnuts in the Class A Midwest League:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2013_07_17_lanafx_cliafx_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

How often does an 18-year-old go nine innings?

On his preseason prospect list, John Sickels ranked Sanchez 95th and Henry Owens 137th, although the FanGraphs midseason prospect rankings had Owens 50th and Sanchez unranked.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/3/13/4095252/minor-league-ball-top-150-prospects-for-2013-john-sickels

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-2013-mid-season-top-50-prospects/

Each has a promising future.

Thats certainly worth mentioning. No, its not easy for an 18yr old to go 9IP and a NO NO, regardless of what level. Congrats to him. The rest of the season hes averaging about 4.1 IP per start, so hes still got some work to do, but hes certainly one to keep an eye on the next 2-3 years.

Both Boston and Seattle have some very good talent in their systems and as long as the GM's stick to developing their own players and not be tempted to trade them away foolishly, both should be competitive for a long time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

JBJ @ 20 (24 keith laws new list)

Cecchini @ 30 (20)

Webster @ 59 (graduated)

Owens @ (63) (31) 

Sox are very well represented.  the only Yankee on these lists is Sanchez at 35 but as low as 49 on Keith Laws list.  FWIW Keith law was the guy who was very high on the Yankees system and the only guy to list them ahead of Boston over the offseason. Now the Red Sox have 4 prospects in his top 50 with all 4 being ahead of the first Yankee.  FWIW. 

I think anyone who ranks the NYY farm over Bostons must have some bias. NYY have some good talent at the lower levels, but Boston has good talent throughout every level. That, to me, warrants a higher ranking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Heres a video of a great catch by 18yr old CF Manuel Margot of Lowell #21 ranked player on soxprospects.com...

atmilb.com/114vMgS

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

19 yr old LHP Daniel McGrath (selected in Jan.2103 as an IFA from Australia) Was just promoted to Lowell after just 4 dominant starts in GLC.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=600011

Scouts were talking highly of this kid. Hes another big southpaw at 6'3 and 220LBS who will probaly get a little bigger. The Sox signed him witha 400K bonus. His FB is low 90's right now but expected to gain some velocity. Still young and a few years away, but the word on him is good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Heres a video of a great catch by 18yr old CF Manuel Margot of Lowell #21 ranked player on soxprospects.com...

atmilb.com/114vMgS

Nobody knows who Margot is right now but he may one of our next top prospects in a couple years.  The only tool he doesn't show is power but with a projectible body and plus bat speed the potential is there for him to grow into some.  That type of offensive production to go along with plus defense at a premium position is...a good thing.

I think of it this way, the only reason why I think a guy like Buxton is ahead of Bogaerts on everyones prospect list is likely because Buxton looks to stick in center were a strong possibility exists Bogaerts moves to a corner.   I'm not saying Margot is the Buxton (guys like Bogaerts and Buxton are like hitting the lottery) but if his tools profile plays up at that position he is all the more valuable. 

I really like Margot.....can you tell?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

atmilb.com/114vMgS

Nobody knows who Margot is right now but he may one of our next top prospects in a couple years.  The only tool he doesn't show is power but with a projectible body and plus bat speed the potential is there for him to grow into some.  That type of offensive production to go along with plus defense at a premium position is...a good thing.

I think of it this way, the only reason why I think a guy like Buxton is ahead of Bogaerts on everyones prospect list is likely because Buxton looks to stick in center were a strong possibility exists Bogaerts moves to a corner.   I'm not saying Margot is the Buxton (guys like Bogaerts and Buxton are like hitting the lottery) but if his tools profile plays up at that position he is all the more valuable. 

I really like Margot.....can you tell?

Nope...didnt notice Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

My most under rated prospect list.....

1-Luis Diaz
    2-Frank Montas
    3-Sean Coyle
    4-Christian Vazquez
    5-Henry Ramos
    6-Mookie Betts
    7-Heiker Menses
    8-Travis Shaw
    9-Tzu-Wei Lin
    10-Jose Vinicio

Lack of size, infielders and foreigners seem to be the common denomanators for a lack of respect.

I believe the Red Sox have the 2nd most top 250 prospects in baseball. The strength of the system has never been better. From the top[Bogaerts], to the top 5, top 10, top 20, top 40, top 100. Pitchers, hitters. Major league ready to the DSL. Never seen it this good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Another kid thats starting to make a few waves is Mookie Betts (LOVE that name!) Hes a SS that is learning 2b in pro ball. IM sure he could be fine at either position. Has a great approach at the plate and solid defense. Built in the mold of Pedey. Not a lot of power right now, but could project as a very good on-base hitter with a lot of XBH with his speed. He also has a very good SB%. Hes only 20 and just got promoted to Salem, so hes still 2-3 years away.

I think he doesn't get a lot of respect because of his size.  Seriously what second baseman under 5"9 has ever been any good?

No but I think Mookie is a real intriguing prospect as well.  It will be interesting to see what he does in the higher minors.  Mookie is starting to look the 2011 draft look even better. 

I agree. Its mostly about size and height. And its a factor. However, I think most of the time including in this case, its an over used issue among 2nd basemen.

For example, Soxprospects never had Dustin Pedroia in their top 2 prospects in the 3 years he was ranked, even though he has arguably been the Sox best player the past 7 years. They had 10 different players ahead of him at numerous different occasions, including Hanson, Bowden, and Moss. Now they are under rating Betts[5-9] and Coyle[5-8] for similar reasons.

As for second baseman 5-9 or shorter, the best ever was 5-7[Morgan]. One could argue the best today is listed 5-9, but is really shorter then Betts. And there have been many others that were pretty good including Brian Roberts, Ray Durham, Davey Lopes, Chuck Knoblauch, etc.

Another element to his size is that he is skinny. I actually prefer young prospects that are wiry. People love it in pitchers. But they forget the value of it in hitters. When he fills out some, he will get even better. Its one reason I was cool with trading Brandon Jacobs. He was mostly done filling out by age 20.

I know one thing, I much prefer the Sox trade Alex Wilson or even Brian Johnson instead of Mookie Betts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Another young guy I like is Wendell Rijo...

http://dplbaseball.com/dpl-news/the-boston-redsox-land-wendell-rijo/

Sections
Shortcuts