Minor League Updates - July 1, 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Minor League Updates - July 1, 2014

Henry Owens won his 11th game tonight. Not too many pitchers win that many games in AA, especially at the halfway mark in the season. I believe this was his last game at Portland and will be promoted to Pawtucket. If not now, by the All Star break. The Red Sox will have to make room somehow. They can push Stephen Wright to the bullpen or they can try and moved someone ASAP and bring De La Rosa back.

Swihart has his average up to .300.

On a AAA rehab note, Mike Carp went 0 for 3 and is now .091. Is there really room on the roster for him? Help me with this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Minor League Updates - July 1, 2014

Ranaudo is SMOKING!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

I said it once and I'll say it again. Trade Peavy for a pack of bubble gum, and trade Lester for a top prospect (maybe an OF) and move on with the fresh arms. Hell even trade Lackey! Boston has a perfect storm here in that they can acquire two top 20 prospect by dealing Lackey and Lester.... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I love how people think that Boston HAS to do something.

first of all, it's not as if Owens has nothing left to learn, and after we've seen rookie after rookie after rookie struggle at the MLB level this year you would think that people would have learned their lesson on letting players develop.

Owens still has some mechanical issues to work out, he's come a long way and is looking terrific.  He still needs to work on his curveball, which is very inconsistent right now.  Right now he pretty much has 2 pitches, 3 on a good night.  He also has an entire Pawtucket roster of highly regarded prospects in front of him.

Boston isn't going to do something drastic now, when they can just wait until August to promote him.

Owens will be in Pawtucket some time in August is my guess. 

And why send Wright to the bullpen?????? the guy has been KILLING it in Pawtucket.  Wright is looking like he can start, if not in Boston then somewhere, so he should be showcased or traded...not have his value killed by putting him in the bullpen in the minor leagues. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Marrero promoted....Owens still in Portland. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

first of all, it's not as if Owens has nothing left to learn, and after we've seen rookie after rookie after rookie struggle at the MLB level this year you would think that people would have learned their lesson on letting players develop.

Owens still has some mechanical issues to work out, he's come a long way and is looking terrific.  He still needs to work on his curveball, which is very inconsistent right now.  Right now he pretty much has 2 pitches, 3 on a good night.  He also has an entire Pawtucket roster of highly regarded prospects in front of him.

Boston isn't going to do something drastic now, when they can just wait until August to promote him.

And why send Wright to the bullpen?????? the guy has been KILLING it in Pawtucket.  Wright is looking like he can start, if not in Boston then somewhere, so he should be showcased or traded...not have his value killed by putting him in the bullpen in the minor leagues. 

[/QUOTE]

Owens will be promoted before August.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Owens will be promoted before August.

[/QUOTE]

He could be, but don't be surprised if he is not promoted until later than that.  There are a few guys ahead of him and Bostons rotation is relatively strong, so there is really zero reason to rush him.  I would love to see what he can do in Pawtucket, I just don't see it as anywhere close to being a sure thing though.

Sections
Shortcuts