MLB/NBA/NFL all greedy, ungrateful pigs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

MLB/NBA/NFL all greedy, ungrateful pigs

I'm talking the league execs, and owners, specifically.

How often, rather, how much longer is the fan going to get s c r e w e d? Longer commercial breaks, nonsensical blackouts, greed induced lockouts....ugh. Billion dollar stadiums with thousand dollar seats, luxury boxes replacing actualy fan seating, legal scalping agreements with ticket brokers to fatten false sellout streaks and increase ticket prices acoss the board...enough! Sacrificing the integrity of the game for money by way of in game interviews, long commercial breaks, shorter halftimes and running clocks.

I'm done. I'll never attend another game. I'll never buy team apparel anywhere other than discount stores, I won't pay for any additional programming to get another game. I will always support my teams, and the players on the field, but I will never support any owner, or league executive again. I used to praise Kraft, and all he's done...and I see how he's now just another "have" taking advantage of the "have lesses" (he doesn't even deal in the "have nots"). Maybe he always was, and I was blind to it, but I see what he is now, and it's a disgrace. I DVR games and speed through ALL commercials, I wil make a concerted effort to not put $.01 of my hard earned money into the pockets of people who obviously don't appreciate it.

Any owner would sell out his fanbase to increase his bottom line, all leagues would sell out all of their fandom if it brought in a few extra dollars for the league. If they'd make more money, the NFL would move to China tomorrow. They've lost touch with reality, and no longer deserve the praise of the masses who care about the teams, and sports, more than these bean counters do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: MLB/NBA/NFL all greedy, ungrateful pigs

You know it still counts towards their ratings when you DVR the game right?  You should try downloading the game from a 3rd party online.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I dunno man, I do understand where you're coming from, but personally as a sports fan I feel like I've never had it better.  The Red Sox have the best ownership and management in their history, and I can watch almost every MLB game on my computer or my TV for a reasonable fee. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I must say that while the in stadium experience is getting priced way out of hand the access fans have today via electronic media is awesome.

And this really comes into play if you live outside your team's market. Baseball in particular is a terrific value. For a little over $100 I have MLB TV where I am able to watch every game except for the FOX blackouts on my home TV or my iPad or iPhone. If I am driving for that same investment I can via bluetooth listen to the game on the radio. All why I live on the other side of a continent. With a tiny bit of magic I can now DVR any of these games I want and because MLB TV is on MLB's servers I can pull up any game played in the season and watch it again. 

I get to see way more baseball than I ever could when television access was so much more limited even though a bleacher seat was a $1.00.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

baseball fans have it better than ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

The last time I checked, all four leagues were businesses. The entire purpose of a business is to make as much money as possible. That's it. There is no benevolence involved.

They are selling sports entertainment, not medicine or food. Nobody is being taken advantage of. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. But the idea that any of these leagues exsist to serve you, rather than to make money is insane. They don't owe you anything. Get over your misplaced sense of entitlement.

If all fans felt like you, there would be no professional sports. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: MLB/NBA/NFL all greedy, ungrateful pigs:
    [QUOTE]  baseball fans have it better than ever
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

NIce. I like it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

ma6
    You forgot to include players in your rant. The owners do whatever they have to so they can maximize revenues because of how salaries keep escalating. I don't see the players willing to take less money so owners can lower prices for the fans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xorsed. Show xorsed's posts

I understand what your saying, but I got to agree with the others...we do have it better than ever before.

I don't live in the U.S. so I can't go to games or watch it on TV. I have to watch/listen to it over the internet. Usually I just watch the scoreboard on ESPN..haha. A little over a decade ago, this wasn't even possible. So I'm pretty happy. Yes, things are over priced, but the MLB is a business.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I totally understand the appreciation for the access. I just don't feel the need for it. My best baseball memories are of vacations on the cape without access to a tv, and only occasional access to a radio. I enjoyed reading my $.35 globe for, what was at the time, the quality writing of people like Peter Gammons and Will McDonough. I enjoyed reading the scoring summary of each relevent half-inning. I liked reading about the plays of the game, and immediately getting insight from the players themselves about a given play. Though I no longer enjoy much of the writing anymore, I still do enjoy pouring over the box scores and reading inning summaries.

You can all keep your blue teeth, and web enabled phones, and immediate worldwide access to everything you want. I, personally, don't need it. Much of the time, I don't want it. Baseball fans have it better than ever...without all of that.

Players are a part of the problem. Fans are too. Nobody is immune from it. What came first? Were the fans too willing to overpay? The owners too willing to overpay for talent? Players too willing to leave for 2% more and threatening holdouts or being malcontents? Who would I blame? At this point, it starts at the top for me: Owners/Execs.  

I do love the game. On the field. 9 innings at a time, sometimes a few more. What I don't love is the greed, and entitlement of fans/players/owners/TV stations/..., and the lack of appreciation for what's supposed to make it so great. Of course owners have always cared about money. Now, however, money is the #1 motivator for everything. I won't buy into it. I can love and enjoy the game without paying for the excess of it. And at the end of the day, only fans can bring down the cost of any of it. If players took a 50% pay cut, does anyone honestly believe it would come back to the fans? Really? Any of it? Doubtful. Only if the fans stopped going, and buying, and paying money on top of money on top of merchandise, tickets, subscription fees, vanity plates, red sox nation memberships...only then would owners and players have to take notice. But that would never happen. People will keep paying, owners will keep chatging, and players will keep demanding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]I totally understand the appreciation for the access. I just don't feel the need for it. My best baseball memories are of vacations on the cape without access to a tv, and only occasional access to a radio. I enjoyed reading my $.35 globe for, what was at the time, the quality writing of people like Peter Gammons and Will McDonough. I enjoyed reading the scoring summary of each relevent half-inning. I liked reading about the plays of the game, and immediately getting insight from the players themselves about a given play. Though I no longer enjoy much of the writing anymore, I still do enjoy pouring over the box scores and reading inning summaries. You can all keep your blue teeth, and web enabled phones, and immediate worldwide access to everything you want. I, personally, don't need it. Much of the time, I don't want it. Baseball fans have it better than ever...without all of that. Players are a part of the problem. Fans are too. Nobody is immune from it. What came first? Were the fans too willing to overpay? The owners too willing to overpay for talent? Players too willing to leave for 2% more and threatening holdouts or being malcontents? Who would I blame? At this point, it starts at the top for me: Owners/Execs.   I do love the game. On the field. 9 innings at a time, sometimes a few more. What I don't love is the greed, and entitlement of fans/players/owners/TV stations/..., and the lack of appreciation for what's supposed to make it so great. Of course owners have always cared about money. Now, however, money is the #1 motivator for everything. I won't buy into it. I can love and enjoy the game without paying for the excess of it. And at the end of the day, only fans can bring down the cost of any of it. If players took a 50% pay cut, does anyone honestly believe it would come back to the fans? Really? Any of it? Doubtful. Only if the fans stopped going, and buying, and paying money on top of money on top of merchandise, tickets, subscription fees, vanity plates, red sox nation memberships...only then would owners and players have to take notice. But that would never happen. People will keep paying, owners will keep chatging, and players will keep demanding.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Recent financial troubles of franchises like the Rangers (borrowing money to make payroll) and the Dodgers (MLB intervention in expenses), and the NY Mets (misplaced investments by the owner) point to the unsustainable sports bubble.
     Whenever a franchise is sold, that deal further escalates the paper profits of each owner, who has a voting stake on the approval of the sale. How great would it be if my neighbor could only sell his house if I approved it? My own home value would continue to rise, I guarantee it.
      There are many franchises built upon questionable financing, the Cubs went through a bankruptcy, just so they could be sold, that's just wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams just go out of business, after all, there are only so many billionaires willing to provide the capital injection needed to rescue the balance sheets.
     The NFL,and NBA have labor unrest, and the NBA, with it's player created all-star teams like the Miami Heat, have the most rotten core, the NFL is not too far behind, and given it's lack of regard for injured ex-players has a broken morality at it's center. The end has arrived for municipal financing of stadiums, governments have more important priorities for their communities, so free loading owners will have to pay their own freight, it's about time too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB/NBA/NFL all greedy, ungrateful pigs :  Recent financial troubles of franchises like the Rangers (borrowing money to make payroll) and the Dodgers (MLB intervention in expenses), and the NY Mets (misplaced investments by the owner) point to the unsustainable sports bubble.  Whenever a franchise is sold, that deal further escalates the paper profits of each owner, who has a voting stake on the approval of the sale. How great would it be if my neighbor could only sell his house if I approved it? My own home value would continue to rise, I guarantee it.   There are many franchises built upon questionable financing, the Cubs went through a bankruptcy, just so they could be sold, that's just wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams just go out of business, after all, there are only so many billionaires willing to provide the capital injection needed to rescue the balance sheets.  The NFL,and NBA have labor unrest, and the NBA, with it's player created all-star teams like the Miami Heat, have the most rotten core, the NFL is not too far behind, and given it's lack of regard for injured ex-players has a broken morality at it's center. The end has arrived for municipal financing of stadiums, governments have more important priorities for their communities, so free loading owners will have to pay their own freight, it's about time too.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

It's embarrassing and disgusting. To man fans are willing to just turn a blind eye to it, while claiming a 'love' of the sport which seems to be misplaced as a 'love' of these leagues. MLB IS ALWAYS Baseball, Baseball IS NOT ALWAYS MLB. You can love baseball while acknowledging how despicable the league is.

And, sure, they still get the ratings bump, but I know that's not what advertisers are paying for, they want me to be forced to watch their commercials, that's what they pay for. I try my best, as one person, to not feed the greedy system. I wish droves would join me. I'll enjoy watching games on TV with 10K in the stands just as much as 35. Let the owners get uncomfortable, and let the players complain about it. Then let them actually do something about it. Yeah, great fan service with their mid-week "family" games to mostly undesirable opponents...all geared to making sure they sell seats to ALL their games. Gone are the days of general admission, schduled double headers, decent give aways, you know, things that actually DID show fan appreciation. They expect you to fork over your money without question, and show up mindlessly, which many do.

It's just a shame...I hope the bubble bursts soon. The NFL seems to be trying to pop it themselves, and basketball sounds close to follow. Baseball is getting there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

A product is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. Period. The market will correct itsself if correction is warranted. Sports economics are what they are because that's what the market will bear. Maybe the "bubble" will burst and Monster Seats will be $27 one day, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I wouldn't necessarily wish for it either. Surely the bonanza of cheap seats would come at a price.

I pay $99 to watch the Sox on MLB.TV. I'm glad I can do that. To me it's a good value. I could get MLB Extra Innings, but not every game is available in HD and it's not portable. I could move to Massachussetts and get all the games over basic cable, but that seems extreme (though I haven't ruled it out). Point is, nobody but me is deciding how important or valuable watching Red Sox baseball is to me except me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Simple solution to which I had arrived back at in 1994 during the strike - a Fans Union.  We form a union just like a normal union and fans pay dues (bare minimal of course) to which they get their Fans Union ID.  We stage sit-outs, nobody goes to the game.

I had it all worked out of course and don't really need anyone to tell me it would not work simply because the truth is... I know it would work.

Before you know it players salaries go down, ownerships start selling tickets for less, hot dogs for less, etc..... and we win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

I don't like the extreme maximization of profits and trying to bleed fans dry of every penny.  I think the NFL and the NFL owners are the absolute greediest.  This NFL lockout is BS and has absolutely nothing to do with the players.  The NFL owners are making more money then ever before and they want even more.  The NFL owners are by far the worst, as they make the most money, but want even more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'll never forget the last time I went to Fenway (which was a few yrs ago).
    I had a swig (about 2 tablespoons) of water in  a bottle at the new entrance on Yawkey way; the attendants made me throw it out, so I should buy their over-priced concessions. Another person had their pocketbook checked, and they made her throw out a pack of gum. (I also heard of a story where they found MJ on a person, but despite the legal issue, they let them keep that; 'cause it makes you buy more concessions ala the munchies and souvenirs.) Since it was the first game of a day/night dblhdr, at the end of the game the ushers were rude in making fans leave at the end of the game. I parked in an overpriced ($35) spot, where the attendants just shoved my car in an occluded corner and could care less later if I could get out. Instead of feeling like I went to a ballgame, like when I was a kid in the '60s and could bring a brown bag, often to a twin bill, I felt the whole day was like a perpetual and nasty hustle. I had a similar experience a while back at a Bruins game. Don't even get me started on what goes on at the new NY stadiums; it's even worse, where micro-caste systems are in effect; based on your ticket section (and I mean section, like if you're in 327 v 329), you can't frequent certain establishments; no riff-raff allowed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I got no problem with Baseball. 

Football and the NBA are a different story.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB/NBA/NFL all greedy, ungrateful pigs :  Recent financial troubles of franchises like the Rangers (borrowing money to make payroll) and the Dodgers (MLB intervention in expenses), and the NY Mets (misplaced investments by the owner) point to the unsustainable sports bubble.  Whenever a franchise is sold, that deal further escalates the paper profits of each owner, who has a voting stake on the approval of the sale. How great would it be if my neighbor could only sell his house if I approved it? My own home value would continue to rise, I guarantee it.   There are many franchises built upon questionable financing, the Cubs went through a bankruptcy, just so they could be sold, that's just wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams just go out of business, after all, there are only so many billionaires willing to provide the capital injection needed to rescue the balance sheets.  The NFL,and NBA have labor unrest, and the NBA, with it's player created all-star teams like the Miami Heat, have the most rotten core, the NFL is not too far behind, and given it's lack of regard for injured ex-players has a broken morality at it's center. The end has arrived for municipal financing of stadiums, governments have more important priorities for their communities, so free loading owners will have to pay their own freight, it's about time too.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]Each situation is unique and the three most recent in baseballl have far less to do with the sustainability of the baseball franchise model than they do the issues of the individuals running tthe three franchises. Hicks is an idiot who ran not only the Rangers but Liverpool in English Preimership into the ground. The Mets situation is based on dealings outside of baseball with Madoff. McCourt is a case of bad stewardship as well, living beyond his means, using his franchise as an ATM for personal luxury and having his marriage implode to escalatge the whole kiting scheme to a near crisis. None of them indicate that there is a fundmental problem with the business of baseball, just individual business owners.

The NBA is a different story. Owners have paid maxcontracts to their best players even when that player isn't worth it, the league is awash in Gilbert Arenas deals. Because the owners have been unwise they will now need to create rules to protect themselves from their stupidity. Those owners do need to change the CBA  but mostly because they got here because they were fools with their money.

Of the three sports the NFL owners are by far the most disingenoius. They left a clause in their last CBA to opt out and have done so not because the league is in finacial jeopardy but because they want to increase their profits. They cut sweetheart deals with their TV partners to be paid for games not played in 2011 to have a war chest to break the NFLPA resolve and get more favorable terms.

The reality is even with virtual monopoly in each sport there is not insurance against being a badly run business which is what is taking down the Dodgers and Mets currently.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB/NBA/NFL all greedy, ungrateful pigs : Each situation is unique and the three most recent in baseballl have far less to do with the sustainability of the baseball franchise model than they do the issues of the individuals running tthe three franchises. Hicks is an idiot who ran not only the Rangers but Liverpool in English Preimership into the ground. The Mets situation is based on dealings outside of baseball with Madoff. McCourt is a case of bad stewardship as well, living beyond his means, using his franchise as an ATM for personal luxury and having his marriage implode to escalatge the whole kiting scheme to a near crisis. None of them indicate that there is a fundmental problem with the business of baseball, just individual business owners. The NBA is a different story. Owners have paid maxcontracts to their best players even when that player isn't worth it, the league is awash in Gilbert Arenas deals. Because the owners have been unwise they will now need to create rules to protect themselves from their stupidity. Those owners do need to change the CBA  but mostly because they got here because they were fools with their money. Of the three sports the NFL owners are by far the most disingenoius. They left a clause in their last CBA to opt out and have done so not because the league is in finacial jeopardy but because they want to increase their profits. They cut sweetheart deals with their TV partners to be paid for games not played in 2011 to have a war chest to break the NFLPA resolve and get more favorable terms. The reality is even with virtual monopoly in each sport there is not insurance against being a badly run business which is what is taking down the Dodgers and Mets currently.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  Because of the baseball model (mostly, no cap and no floor, along with minor league organizations where teams can house players for cheap), each team has the complete freedom to run its business however it wants.  Some owners are poor businessmen and lose a lot of money on their teams; the vast majority gain money.  Football has a more communistic model; set up so that virtually none of the teams can fail and none of the teams can maximize their profits.  Basketball is somewhere in between, though most of those owners are quite foolhardy (look at some of the players who were extended max contracts; the NBA's run itself into a huge business problem which is why there will almost definitely be a lockout next season....).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]I'll never forget the last time I went to Fenway (which was a few yrs ago). I had a swig (about 2 tablespoons) of water in  a bottle at the new entrance on Yawkey way; the attendants made me throw it out, so I should buy their over-priced concessions. Another person had their pocketbook checked, and they made her throw out a pack of gum. (I also heard of a story where they found MJ on a person, but despite the legal issue, they let them keep that; 'cause it makes you buy more concessions ala the munchies and souvenirs.) Since it was the first game of a day/night dblhdr, at the end of the game the ushers were rude in making fans leave at the end of the game. I parked in an overpriced ($35) spot, where the attendants just shoved my car in an occluded corner and could care less later if I could get out. Instead of feeling like I went to a ballgame, like when I was a kid in the '60s and could bring a brown bag, often to a twin bill, I felt the whole day was like a perpetual and nasty hustle. I had a similar experience a while back at a Bruins game. Don't even get me started on what goes on at the new NY stadiums; it's even worse, where micro-caste systems are in effect; based on your ticket section (and I mean section, like if you're in 327 v 329 ), you can't frequent certain establishments; no riff-raff allowed.

Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

For someone that wasn't going to post here anymore you sure do post alot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

You are wrong about the Chicago Cubs. They were owned by the Tribune Company the owner of which wanted to sell the Cubs and Wrigley Field separate from the sale of the rest of the corporation which was in debt. The Cubs were extremely profitable as they were selling out as regular as Fenway was. In order for the assets to be dispersed properly the Cubs needed to be added to the bankruptcy before they could be sold. Unfortunately for the new owners the fan base here in Chicago has become crotchety and has started to not support the team. They will end up like the White Sox, with a team that will only draw fans when they win. Bold concept. I remember going to Fenway in 65 and 66 when the sox had no chance to contend and the field was always full, at least on the weekends when I attended. The low cost entertainment probably had a lot to do with it. I blame the fans for the current state of overpriced performers and their owners. If we as a group would not buy the product then they would have to come down in their price to draw new fans. The same concept would work on oil. If each consumer saved 10 gallons of gas a week we would force the oil companies to come down in price. We as consumers set the price for what we are willing to spend to see or use a product.