MLB Network's top 100 plays of the year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

MLB Network's top 100 plays of the year

Just got done watching MLB Networks top 100 plays of last year.There were 3 Red Sox highlights in the top 5,two were good,one not so good.The good ones were at #5 Koji picking off Kelton Wong to end game,and Big Papi's slam with Tori Hunter going over the wall was #1 (Also my avatar).

The not so good one still bothers me when I watch the replay.At #3 was the Will Middlebrooks interference call to lose game 3 of the Series.

I STILL think that shouldn't have been called.But,everything ended up OK. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: MLB Network's top 100 plays of the year

If that stupid Manny Machado grounder where he boots the ball and recovers managed to beat out Ben Revere's amazing robbery of Todd Frazier's line drive in what was one of the most amazing catches ever, then MLB Network should be ashamed.

Also, Andreleton Simmons "break to third for the runner, but still manage to break back and turn the 6-3 double play" should also be ahead of that grounder where Machado muffs a routine play...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Just got done watching MLB Networks top 100 plays of last year.There were 3 Red Sox highlights in the top 5,two were good,one not so good.The good ones were at #5 Koji picking off Kelton Wong to end game,and Big Papi's slam with Tori Hunter going over the wall was #1 (Also my avatar).

The not so good one still bothers me when I watch the replay.At #3 was the Will Middlebrooks interference call to lose game 3 of the Series.

It should have been called.

Interference is not a penalty.  The call is about how things would have gone with no interference, and setting them so.  Would Craig have scored if he did not trip over Middlebrooks?  Given that he did trip over him and was still barely out, we can agree he would have.

The only problem with that play was Middlebrooks not handling the throw. It was not a good throw, but he needs to do more to get in front of it and keep it in the infield with the game on the line...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

When that call was made, I really thought they were trying their best to, let's just say, not help the Red Sox. Such a ridiculous, rarely used call, they had to have a press conference about it. And how was he supposed to get up without moving his legs? lol

Glad we were able to march on from that and still claim the championship at the end of the season. In your face, umpires, we just couldn't be stopped! LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to notin's comment:

It should have been called.

Interference is not a penalty.  The call is about how things would have gone with no interference, and setting them so.  Would Craig have scored if he did not trip over Middlebrooks?  Given that he did trip over him and was still barely out, we can agree he would have.

The only problem with that play was Middlebrooks not handling the throw. It was not a good throw, but he needs to do more to get in front of it and keep it in the infield with the game on the line...

Actually,it was called obstruction,not interference.My understanding of the rule was that it shouldn't be called if he was making a baseball play,he wouldn't be called for obstruction.

This is how the rule reads:

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the “act of fielding” the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner. 

I've watched that video a number of times,and I still believe that diving to catch a ball is considered"in the act of fielding".In fact,it almost looks like Craig tripped over him on purpose,almost.

Not that it matters now,but I hope there will be some clarification on the rule for next year .

Sections
Shortcuts