MLB Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benamn. Show Benamn's posts

Re: MLB Question

interesting

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Ellsbury will be traded only in ur nightmarish dreams.

He is the centerfielder. Period. Cam is an expensive platoon. Drew is gone after next year, and will be replaced by top farm hand. Learn to live with it.

Crawford's last few years will be a financial ball & chain. His signing is hardly Jake's train-ticket out. Just the opposite. It means the team is now more willing to keep Ellsbury to sustain the tandem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Trust me, they had no intention of sustaining any tandem when they signed Crawford. And if "he's the CF'er, period", he's been sitting more than most "CF'ers period", lately;)

Where can I find you when they trade Ellsbury?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh, I'll be here. My posts are for all to see. They don't disappear into thin air.
    If you honestly (what am I saying?) think the CRAWBURY tandem didn't enter into organizational thinking once they committed 140mil, then you are the one who should be committed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Trust me, it's you who need to commited. Ellsbury has only 2 years of arbitration left, this tandem thing is a figment of your immagination. Ellsbury will be traded before FA, and my posts have never been erased. Committing 140M wasn't about playing small ball for the next 3 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh, I suppose Crawford was signed for his Jimmy Foxx power.
    The FO wanted his vast "small-ball" skill-set. His tandem with Jake create an additional "small-ball" dimension. It will nicely compliment the skills of the other players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: MLB Question:
    Trust me, it's you who need to commited. Ellsbury has only 2 years of arbitration left, this tandem thing is a figment of your immagination. Ellsbury will be traded before FA, and my posts have never been erased. Committing 140M wasn't about playing small ball for the next 3 years.
    Posted by BaseballGM

It wasn't easy retorting to this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Although I'm certain that "Crawbury" was never part of the 142M plan, let's assume your fixation is true. It's not looking too good now, is it.............. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

No, it isn't. Neither are the team's ERA or batting stats.

Do you think they will end up with their current winning pct?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agone. Show agone's posts

what's the big deal about ELLSBURY; he's an average ballplayer with exceptional speed.
    whether he goes or stays isn't as important as fixing the SOX'S starting rotation and obtaining a quality catcher. if ELLSBURY can help that situation by being traded, than the SOX should do it.
    please, let's get the priorities straight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

No, nor do I think that "Crawbury" is going to be around until Ellsbury reaches FA. He'll be gone before then.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I was somewhat impressed with Lee, but he did get megabucks and the team he wanted. I was more impressed with Kerry Wood, whose 1.5 million deal with the Cubs was probably about 30% of what he could have gotten from the Yankees.  -- Halifax
    --------------------------------------------------------

...and to the Cubs with way less fanfare.  You have a point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

"He's quiet , he's reserved , he doesn't outwardly show his emotions."

Reason #87 to fall in love with J.D.Drew.

This is starting to sound like Henry Block's 100 reasons to let his people do your taxes.

Do the Red Sox pay him to be a librarian or to hit a baseball?

Is he up for re-election on the school committee or is he here to throw out runners at home plate?

O.K., granted, we're convinced he's a nice guy. We've gotten that out of the way years back. But , as a ballplayer, come on , really, what's he do for us that some AAA player couldn't be doing for 1/4 the money?

I mean Wakefield is a great guy , too. So was Brian Daubach, so was Trot Nixon, but when their productive years passed ...they dumped them. Why can't this happen with other "good guys?"

Really, what is Drew doing for us that Trot Nixon didn't? The stats aren't that different ...considering the talent level and the contract. -- Zilla
    Zilla, you keep bringing up his salary like he jumped Theo (actually J. Henry) in some alley and took all his money.  Contracts are negotiated through agents -- who, in turn, take some of
    the money they negotiate. Stop blaming him for how much money he makes when it's not his fault.

I think some people in RSN should be ashamed of themselves at the way they've treated Drew. I believe he had helped this team on many occasions, and it goes unnoticed because of all the bashers who continue to talk about money he had nothing to do with.

And I'm not in love with him. I respect him for staying true to who he is, and not changing because it's the general consenus. My favorite player is actually Varitek (more on the quiet side), followed closely by Youkilis who has no problem showing his emotions. See? It doesn't matter the demeanor just that they don't pretend to be something that they're not. I guess I just like "real" people.

Just curious, who's your favorite player on
    the team?

(btw, you should stop putting your entire post in bold letters. Kinda negates the whole purpose of having the bold option. Also my response comes out in bold as well. jsyk)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I thought that when Sabathia got his contract, he was pressured quite a bit by the union to take the Yankees deal over whatever the Brewers were looking to resign him for.

There's pressure from not only the union, but also other players, to take the most money because that sets the bar for players in future years. That being said, while the Phillies offered Lee less than the yankees did, it wasn't that much less, especially when considering that Lee's deal has a vesting option for the sixth year and the last club option is only really a 15 million dollar option (27.5 club option vs. 12.5 million buyout).

Given that you are only talking about one year and 15-20 million dollars, Lee is free to choose whichever team he wants since those offers really aren't that different. If the difference were something like 2-3 years and 50 million dollars, then there'd be an issue since that would durastically change the market. However, given Lee's deal, he's not bringing down the market for future players at all by accpeting the deal to go to the Phillies. -- Billsrul

The voice of reason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

On the topic of unions, Manny felt a ton of pressure to sign with Boston, despite the fact he was against it.

But the player has the legal right to choose.  --- Harness
    ------------------------------------------------

As I suspected. :)  As far as the "legal" right to choose, it may be legal, but I'm sure they could make you feel as if you are jeopardizing players' contracts in the future. It's quite possible that the Nationals wanted to build their team with a proven star, and Boras agreed as long as it was for a ton of money. I still don't believe Werth wanted to leave the Phillies and possibly end his career on the Nationals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

The union certainly does not want players accepting contracts at way below market value.... however they are not in a position to "forbid" a player from taking less money (The A-Rod deal did not fall apart because the union "forbade" him from taking slightly less money... he already had a contract in place... that cannot be changed.) That claim is silly at best. The union does pressure it's players to seek the most money possible, so as to drive up salaries for all players, they do not, however, have the right to tell a player that he cannot sign for less than his percieved "worth". See: Ken Griffey Jr. & the Cincinnati Reds

Sections
Shortcuts