MLB reports Bard to be starter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

MLB reports Bard to be starter

According to MLB report Bobby V says that Bard will report to spring training expecting to be worked into the starting pitcher role. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111211&content_id=26146410&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter

Did anyone see the disaster that was Joba Chamberlain?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter:
    Did anyone see the disaster that was Joba Chamberlain?
    Posted by jesseyeric

His name popped into my head the first time I heard that Bard was going to start. Does he have a second and third pitch that will be needed in order to go through line-ups a second and third time. The Sox also further weaken the pen, which going forward is by far their biggest area of concern.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Dan - even if you have a second or third pitch which Job actually has, both his velocity and metality changed when he was put in the rotation. I am not saying that Bard will experience the same problems, but it is a bit worrisome. And to top it off, Joba wound up having to have TJ surgery last year and I am not sure if all the changes he went through helped his physical condition at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

From this the implications just might be that the Sox are looking for a closer in the FA market. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I called for it, as pen arms are less expensive and less important.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by hankwilliams

Congratulations.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

From this the implications just might be that the Sox are looking for a closer in the FA market. 
    Posted by traven

I would have liked to see Bard become the closer of the future.  I am not sure that he will be an effective starter but I will remain optimistic.   I believe that Aceves would be a good starter and better than Bard in this role. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Bard's delivery is very easy, a lot like Dlowe's who made the transition from relief to starter very well.  As Zac pointed out, the list of relievers who move to starter has plenty of success stories to go along with Joba. 

Bard is going to have to get a 3rd pitch but I think I like this decision.... clearly if this is happening it means the Sox are going to address the BP via trade or FA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bard's delivery is very easy, a lot like Dlowe's who made the transition from relief to starter very well.  As Zac pointed out, the list of relievers who move to starter has plenty of success stories to go along with Joba.  Bard is going to have to get a 3rd pitch but I think I like this decision.... clearly if this is happening it means the Sox are going to address the BP via trade or FA.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

This is the major concern I have with Bard as a starter.  I can get past the fact he will need to completely re-orient his approach and stretch out.  As you say, and i agree, his delivery and physical make-up bodes well for the transition.  But third pitches don't just fall out of trees.  Hard to imagine that he can establish one between now and the start of the season.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter : This is the major concern I have with Bard as a starter.  I can get past the fact he will need to completely re-orient his approach and stretch out.  As you say, and i agree, his delivery and physical make-up bodes well for the transition.  But third pitches don't just fall out of trees.  Hard to imagine that he can establish one between now and the start of the season.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

He already has 3 passable pitches.  Fastball, slider and changeup.  His changeup showed good progress last year.

It's far easier to be prepared to start and then have to transition to a pen role than it is to prepare to be in the pen, and then quickly get stretched out to start.  Regardless of if Bard actually starts the season in the pen, it's good to get him stretched out early and get him preparing for an increased workload in 2012.  I seem to remember the same thing happening with Paps early in his career.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter : He already has 3 passable pitches.  Fastball, slider and changeup.  His changeup showed good progress last year. It's far easier to be prepared to start and then have to transition to a pen role than it is to prepare to be in the pen, and then quickly get stretched out to start.  Regardless of if Bard actually starts the season in the pen, it's good to get him stretched out early and get him preparing for an increased workload in 2012.  I seem to remember the same thing happening with Paps early in his career.
    Posted by JB-3

No doubt JB.  Agree on he preparation tip.  No worries there.  But, I am less sold on the effectiveness of his change.  And, if the starter thing doesn't work out because of that, or because the transition is just too much for the short time, well, no problem.  he can easily assume a closer/set-up role in the pen again.  Agreed.  But, if the FO doesn't go get some starter depth, relying on the Bard gamble, and it doesn't work, we are left with 2011 thin starting pitching.  That is the end cause of my Bard-starter fear.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Aceves should go in, too. Sign a couple of 2nd tier pen arms for one year and low to middle single digit base points and be done with it. Red Sox collapsed because of fat high paid pitchers and 3.75 million on a 44 year old laughing stock. Games were already over in late season, before the pen was ever used.

Jenks (blame it on Inspstein, may as well go with 6M buffet man)
    2nd tier pen arm FA signed 4 to 6M 1 year
    2nd tier pen arm FA signed 2 to 4M 1 year
    Morales
    1 to 2M one year contract veteran shuttle starter non-tender/reject
    3rd tier dumpster spring training invite lotto loser
    Miller/ rotating AAA call-up dumpster profiles

Rotation:

Beckett (trust me, bellies will be smaller in 2012)
    Lester (trust me, bellies will be smaller in 2012)
    Buch
    Bard (No way can Bard be worse than 2011 year end/league lower tier starter)
    Aceves (ditto)

That rotation is clearly better than Slackey and worn out DiceK arms of 2011 start. Bard and Aceves are young, which is automatically an increased percentage better performance from a 45 year old Wastefield and 2 old warn out arms. DiceK returning 2nd half will simply add depth for attrition.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter : Congratulations.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Space, isn't that Hank brilliant?  He's always right!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I'm not liking this move a lot....i thought this is why we let Paps walk....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter : No doubt JB.  Agree on he preparation tip.  No worries there.  But, I am less sold on the effectiveness of his change.  And, if the starter thing doesn't work out because of that, or because the transition is just too much for the short time, well, no problem.  he can easily assume a closer/set-up role in the pen again.  Agreed.  But, if the FO doesn't go get some starter depth, relying on the Bard gamble, and it doesn't work, we are left with 2011 thin starting pitching.  That is the end cause of my Bard-starter fear.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Agreed Space, I'd prefer to see a veteran addition or 2 for the rotation, but I just don't know where the money would come from for anyone who would give us a better chance than Bard and/or Aceves.  Weiland could be a contributor in the pen, though he will probably remain in AAA as starter depth.  Bowden should break camp with the Sox in the pen since he's out of options.  Doubront is another pitcher to keep an eye on if he shows up to camp in shape.  After them, the only other real arm ready to contribute is Alex Wilson, who only has 21 innings of AAA experience, although he profiles as more of a late inning reliever than a starter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Cardinals closer was a real 2011 high profile pen arm...........................................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter : This is the major concern I have with Bard as a starter.  I can get past the fact he will need to completely re-orient his approach and stretch out.  As you say, and i agree, his delivery and physical make-up bodes well for the transition.  But third pitches don't just fall out of trees.  Hard to imagine that he can establish one between now and the start of the season.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

He has 4 pitches, but rarely uses his change or slider. He may also have both FB's.
    I've never seen him throw from a wind-up so that will be interesting as well.
    The issue will be going from a one-inning guy to a 7 or 8 inning guy, and ST isn't long enough to give him many opportunities.
    No, the best way to transition him, is for him to spend a season as the long guy first.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

My real concern is that his fastball will drop in speed because of the number of pitches his arm will have to throw and he obviously will become more hittable as a starter simply because the hitters will see him more often in a game.  I am just not sure that this is a good move for the Sox...I think I would rather have seen a proven starter join the staff...or at least Aceves instead of Bard.  I also think this shows the Sox are not going to go above the cap this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Probably good for the Sox and good ($) for Bard if he delivers.

PROJO " When his friend Justin Masterson was traded to Cleveland two years ago — a move that gave Masterson a chance to start full-time rather than pitch out of the bullpen — Bard put his seal of approval on the move to starter.

“(Masterson) could have been a great reliever, but he’s a big workhorse, a big-bodied guy who’s going to be able to eat up a lot of innings,” he said then. “That pays some good money down the road once you hit arbitration and free agency. It’ll end up being a good opportunity for him.”

Bard has four years of salary arbitration in front of him, including this year."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Not much point in having Bard follow Wastefield starts with a giant p@oper scooper. Good move that I urged at season end 2011. Aceves in 2011 rotation and Red Sox were in playoffs. Instead, it was Timmy po@per drooper.    

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Posted by hankwilliams

Did you?  I remember that blowhard, moron Softlaw predicting this but I can't remember Hanky panky williams doing so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Softlaw is only 99% accurate. I am 100%.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts