MLB reports Bard to be starter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter

Joba Chamberlain lost some velocity after his shoulder injury not because he was inserted into the rotation.

He had always been pitching out of the rotation until the Yankees put him into the pen, hitting in the high 90s on the gun in the late innings as a starter in the Yankee farm system.

Let us not forget the 1-0 victory over Boston and Beckett in Fenway before the while in the rotation and before his shoulder injury.

Johan Santana  another pitcher who started his MLB career working relief out of the Twinkies pen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter:
    [QUOTE]Did anyone see the disaster that was Joba Chamberlain?                      sorry jess but just to keep KST on her toes Did anyone see the non-disaster that was cj wilson Did anyone see the non-disaster that was Alexi Ogando Did anyone see the non-disaster that was David Wells   spent his first three seasons in the bullpen, making just two starts Derek Lowe – Lowe started nine games as a rookie with Seattle before getting traded to Boston. From 1998 through 2001, he appeared in 278 games (he did make 13 starts), proving himself as one of the AL’s most durable relievers. Grady Little replaced Jimy Williams as manager in 2002 and made Lowe a starter and he won 21 games his first season in the rotation. Kenny Rogers –  spent most of his first four years in the majors as a reliever. Like Lowe, it took a new manager to view him as a starter. Kevin Kennedy took over in 1993, put him in the rotation and he last 16 more seasons. Dave Stewart – Stewart reached the majors with the Dodgers as a hard-throwing reliever in 1981, and while they did give him 14 starts in 1982, they eventually returned him to the bullpen. Traded to Texas, he bombed out of their rotation and was traded to Philadelphia, where he was released. The A’s signed him and he won 20 games in four straight seasons. Jimmy Key – A third-round draft pick of the Blue Jays out of Clemson in 1982, Key reached the majors in 1984, appearing in 63 games in relief. Despite underwhelming numbers (44/32 SO/BB ratio, 1.65 WHIP), Bobby Cox put him in the rotation in 1985 and he’d finish his career with 186 wins and a 3.51 ERA. http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/8861/the-ogando-list-relievers-turned-starters Justin Masterson had a pretty good yr too
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

There is one difference here - Joba and Bard are 98 mph fastball pitchers. All the others were basically, curveball, sinkerball pitchers for the most part. The game has also changed in the 15 - 20 years when those guys first appeared on the scene.

I am not saying that Bard cannot make the transition at all. The kid has serious skills. All I am saying is that it is something to watch out for.

Now Zac - are you trying to make nice-nice with KST? Awe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB reports Bard to be starter : There is one difference here - Joba and Bard are 98 mph fastball pitchers. All the others were basically, curveball, sinkerball pitchers for the most part. The game has also changed in the 15 - 20 years when those guys first appeared on the scene. I am not saying that Bard cannot make the transition at all. The kid has serious skills. All I am saying is that it is something to watch out for. Now Zac - are you trying to make nice-nice with KST? Awe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Joba is not a one trick poney.

He has had 4 major league pitches since he came to the Yankees from Nebraska, the curve, slider, change and fastball.

Out of the pen he used primarily only two the slider and fastball. When he pitched out of the rotation he used all 4 although the change-up was used only sparingly it is a good pitch for him.

His best pitch has always been his slider.

From what I've seen Bard has some nasty stuff besides that heater too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Bard was flat out nasty during his UNC days, and almost led them to the championship. I remember watching a game when he was pumping 98 in the 8th inning, very Verlander like, but I question his #2 pitch which leftys seem to crush, and his lack of a #3. He certainly has some work to do. Now our bullpen is in shambles.

Sections
Shortcuts