MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance!

Leave Beckett alone!
    by Peter Abraham/Boston Globe
    "Francona said he wouldn't blame MLB for sending the Red Sox a letter regarding Josh Beckett's slow pace last night. It was apparently a top of discussion on ESPN. MLB has the power to fine Beckett (and Francona for that matter) for not pitching in a timely fashion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance!

I remember MLB giving Tiant a waiver on his balkish delivery. Maybe they can "grandfather" Beckett as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

That's what makes Beckett a better pitcher than in previous seasons...he has slowed himself down so much that he carefully thinks about what pitch he wants to throw on every single pitch, every single count. At one time, he would rush it a bit. Get the ball, get back on the rubber, and fire another one. But he has purposely slowed himself down. I don't have a problem with it if it allows him to throw well every start. From a purist point of view, fine him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In some respects, Schilling used to rush things when things were not going good for him. Sometimes you just have to slow it down, slow the pace.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The human rain delay of pitchers was Frank Castillo....I swear if he could check the scouting report in the dugout on a 2-1 count with 2 runners on in the 2nd inning, he would go back to the dugout, read it, then come back to the mound, then take another 30 seconds before throwing his next pitch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance!:
    [QUOTE]Leave Beckett alone! by Peter Abraham/Boston Globe "Francona said he wouldn't blame MLB for sending the Red Sox a letter regarding Josh Beckett 's slow pace last night. It was apparently a top of discussion on ESPN. MLB has the power to fine Beckett (and Francona for that matter) for not pitching in a timely fashion.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

I read this last night on ESPN and have to agree but until enforced I guess Josh can do whatever he wants like ARod.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

MLB Officlal Rules

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call "Ball."  The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
    The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

My dad and I have long said that Beckett is at his best (see 2003 and 2007 playoffs) when he ascends, Texas-style, into "Cow Face".  There is a certain placid, cow-like place he has gone to a few times in his career that is slightly more bovine, slow, and easy than his normal aura.  So, it makes sense that his slower pace this year has shown such good result.  A cow moves very slow.  Perhaps this slower pace is allowing him to access "cow face" more easily.  Lets face it, our championship desires depend on "cow face".  Don't let MLB take it away!  

Free cow face!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I like it Mr. Lee.....Free the cow!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

first off the reason games are so long is because of conglomerates like ESPN that force 800 commercial spots a game down our throats, MLB gladly takes the money then tells the players to hurry up and play, how stupid is that! Also until MLB decides to fine hitters for stepping out of the box after every pitch they should have no right to fine pitchers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

fourrings, don't forget about the foul territory, guys fouling off tons of pitches that might be caught in other parks, and the pitch taking by the two teams' hitters. Patient hitters also leads to patient pitchers. The pitching changes occur with the offense (last night, not an example) being so good. DVR needs to put down 5 hours for Sox v Yank games for now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Varitek is the problem. Baseball and slow play is the biggest problem for the sport.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance! : I read this last night on ESPN and have to agree but until enforced I guess Josh can do whatever he wants like ARod.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt you read it on ESPN.  How this can continually be blamed on the pitcher when batters take their time between every pitch, is beyond me. Should Beckett speed up his game and pitch to batters who have all the time in the world to get "settled". It's odd that it's not even mentioned.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Free cow face for me as well!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lindawitz1. Show Lindawitz1's posts

I agree that those ESPN announcers could ruin Beckett's delivery.  Shut up - I didn't hear any of us fans complaining about the pace of the game.  If that helps Beckett, then it is what it is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance!:
    [QUOTE]I agree that those ESPN announcers could ruin Beckett's delivery.  Shut up - I didn't hear any of us fans complaining about the pace of the game.  If that helps Beckett, then it is what it is.
    Posted by Lindawitz1[/QUOTE]Morning Linda, long time....how are you?...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance! : I have no doubt you read it on ESPN.  How this can continually be blamed on the pitcher when batters take their time between every pitch, is beyond me. Should Beckett speed up his game and pitch to batters who have all the time in the world to get "settled". It's odd that it's not even mentioned.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE] Morning Kim, when this issue first surfaced,(about early 2009) i believe constant step outs by batters were also cited by critics, i think it was also part of ump Joe West's diabtribe against the Yanks and Sox last season...and not for anything, it's funny how he seems to ignore some of the equally long NL games..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance!:
    [QUOTE]Leave Beckett alone! by Peter Abraham/Boston Globe "Francona said he wouldn't blame MLB for sending the Red Sox a letter regarding Josh Beckett 's slow pace last night. It was apparently a top of discussion on ESPN. MLB has the power to fine Beckett (and Francona for that matter) for not pitching in a timely fashion.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

Josh apparently was clocked by ESPN at 30 seconds between deliveries.  I believe the ML limit is 12 seconds, so from a fans/broadcaster perspective  it does prolong a game considerably.  Not everyone wants to sit through a 3 hour game. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see this taken a bit further before its all said and done to ensure this doesn't continue.  Funny, it took years to limit the use of PEDS but probably just a couple angry broadcasters to change a ruling on something like this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

So ESPN wants the league to fine Beckett.  They whined about it all game long.  Made me sick!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]So ESPN wants the league to fine Beckett.  They whined about it all game long.  Made me sick!
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

I saw that cpjohn, they were crying because they had to sit through a longer game.  I understand their side but they were like little kids who weren't being paid to work overtime.

Pretty funny!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Beckett's slow pace is more than offset by Wakefield's fast pace.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I agree with MLB.  No way I would ever root against Beckett, but four hours for a 9 inning game?  Now I have to admit that this particular game was, for a Sox fan, riveting.  But this fan didn't get to bed until after midnight and had to go to work the next day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance! : I have no doubt you read it on ESPN.  How this can continually be blamed on the pitcher when batters take their time between every pitch, is beyond me. Should Beckett speed up his game and pitch to batters who have all the time in the world to get "settled". It's odd that it's not even mentioned.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Good point kim but when you think about it, the two teams that take more time at the plate than any other are the Sox and Yanks.  No team works pitchers better.  I just can't believe that with all the major issues to address this one is even being talked about.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB should not be meddling with Josh Beckett's pitching performance! : Good point kim but when you think about it, the two teams that take more time at the plate than any other are the Sox and Yanks.  No team works pitchers better.  I just can't believe that with all the major issues to address this one is even being talked about.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

There's only one pitcher, but nine hitters. I guess its easier to go after one than nine. But I agree that they could do a lot better, by not allowing batters to adjust their gloves in between at bats, if they didn't swing at the previous pitch. That would could cut out at least 10 minutes a game right there, Especially if Jeter, Cano and Arod are playing ............. and i'm a Yankee fan.