MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter

Major League Baseball has suspended David Ortiz and Baltimore pitcher Kevin Gregg for four games in the wake of the brawl last Friday.

Baltimore pitcher Mike Gonzalez was suspended three games for throwing at Ortiz on Sunday. Orioles manager Buck Showalter also received a one-game suspension for that incident.

No word yet on if those players have appealed. Showalter does not have the right to appeal.

There also were fines levied on Jarrod Saltalamacchia and John Lackey for their actions. Saltalamacchia was disciplined for "aggressive actions" during the brawl and Lackey for intentionally throwing at Derrek Lee on Saturday.

MLB also fined Orioles pitcher Jim Johnson for his actions during the brawl.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, Gonzalez and Showalter

You really need to change the title to "M. Gonzalez".  You scared the sh!t outta me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter

Thanks JB-3.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

they had to do something....Ortiz should appeal, he can probably get the suspension down a game or two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Seems pretty fair, although last place Baltimore has nothing to lose if the whole team gets suspended...they'd still be last!

Boston on the other hand will miss Ortiz for those 4 games, on the heels of interleague play and having Ortiz sit, losing this one man hurts alot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'm willing to bet that papi has already appealed this so he can continue to play. I think he will get it reduced a couple of games and will probably sit when we get to fenway south next week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter:
    Thanks JB-3.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

No, thank you Edith.

Anyway, no real surprises here aside from Ortiz getting too long of a suspension in my opinion, he certainly didn't instigate it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe-. Show The---Babe-'s posts

Should have been longer......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Suspending an everyday player and a pitcher the same amount of games only counts towards their respective paychecks because it's easy for a pitcher, who don't play everyday anyway to do the time. Somebody already beat me to the who cares he's on a last place team anyway line !! Sox Players need to be more careful going forward especially playing the Bushes from Baltimore !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I don't think I ever saw a fan in these situations say about a player from their team "Disagree; he should have gotten more"; in fact I can't remember the last time I saw "That was fair"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

dont think ortiz should have got more than a game. all he did was charge the mound, he didnt even land a punch on gregg. ortiz should appeal the suspension.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I think the reason Ortiz got 4 was because Showalter got 1 just for instigati - uh, managing - the situation as he did. 

Joe Torre showed he was no fool when he nabbed three O's for suspension. 

Papi really lost it, but I have no problem with that at this time.  How many times can you throw AT someone and miss them.  Papi is almost laughing at Gregg that he missed him. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

This is a pretty fair ruling, IMO.  I would be very surprised if Ortiz doesn't appeal.  He's not going to sit during the Rays series.  He should be able to get it reduced to at least 3 games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

This is a pretty fair ruling, IMO.  I would be very surprised if Ortiz doesn't appeal.  He's not going to sit during the Rays series.  He should be able to get it reduced to at least 3 games.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
      games getting shaved is pretty much a forgone conclusion...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter :   games getting shaved is pretty much a forgone conclusion...
    Posted by jete02fan

Agreed Jete.

I wonder if Gregg is serving his suspension.  His was supposed to start tonight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter : Agreed Jete. I wonder if Gregg is serving his suspension.  His was supposed to start tonight.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
    Kimmi, was just on MLB.com, a writeup on the incident has Gonzalez and Gregg as definitely appealing...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter : Kimmi, was just on MLB.com, a writeup on the incident has Gonzalez and Gregg as definitely appealing...
    Posted by jete02fan

Thanks Jetes.  Not surprised, but I was kind of thinking that Gregg might go ahead and serve his so that he would be available to pitch against the Sox on Monday.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

This is total garbage. Gregg should get suspended for how ever many starts he would miss in the O's rotation. Ortiz didn't instigate the incident and at most should get a game, maybe two suspension.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Fair????  No way.  Papi, an everyday player, gets the same penalty as a reliever who also happened to start the problem by throwing at him multiple times, then threw fuel on the fire by opening his mouth after the fly out.  I guess the fact that the ump immediately ejected Gregg when he yelled at Papi was totally lost on the decision makers.  If Papi got 4, Gregg should have received 8 (assuming he pitches every other day).  Didn't they normalize Beckett's suspension to 10 games so he would miss 2 starts?  Torre is a jassack.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Fair????  No way.  Papi, an everyday player, gets the same penalty as a reliever who also happened to start the problem by throwing at him multiple times, then threw fuel on the fire by opening his mouth after the fly out.  I guess the fact that the ump immediately ejected Gregg when he yelled at Papi was totally lost on the decision makers.  If Papi got 4, Gregg should have received 8 (assuming he pitches every other day).  Didn't they normalize Beckett's suspension to 10 games so he would miss 2 starts?  Torre is a jassack.
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan

I guess the fact that the ump immediately ejected Gregg when he yelled at Papi was totally lost on the decision makers. If Papi got 4, Gregg should have received 8

that's right he got ejected for talking ,

after both had received warnings  after ortiz's pouting

caused both benches to empty

IMO ortiz should of been tossed then

ortiz then got ejected for charging the mound

I figure that deserves the extra day

talking vs charging the mound....... hmmm

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter : I guess the fact that the ump immediately ejected Gregg when he yelled at Papi was totally lost on the decision makers. If Papi got 4, Gregg should have received 8 that's right he got ejected for talking  , after both had received warnings  after ortiz's pouting caused both benches to empty IMO ortiz should of been tossed then ortiz then got ejected for charging the mound I figure that deserves the extra day talking vs charging the mound....... hmmm  
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Well now you're just being silly Zac.

Gregg should have been ejected after the THIRD attempt to hit Ortiz for no good reason, not Ortiz.  

And 'talking' versus charging the mound?  Gregg did a little more than 'talking'. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

This is total garbage. Gregg should get suspended for how ever many starts he would miss in the O's rotation. Ortiz didn't instigate the incident and at most should get a game, maybe two suspension.
    Posted by Hetchinspete

Gregg is a reliever, not a starter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Suspending an everyday player and a pitcher the same amount of games only counts towards their respective paychecks because it's easy for a pitcher, who don't play everyday anyway to do the time. Somebody already beat me to the who cares he's on a last place team anyway line !! Sox Players need to be more careful going forward especially playing the Bushes from Baltimore !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

This is true, and MLB, of course, should know that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: MLB suspends Ortiz, Gregg, M Gonzalez and Showalter : I guess the fact that the ump immediately ejected Gregg when he yelled at Papi was totally lost on the decision makers. If Papi got 4, Gregg should have received 8 that's right he got ejected for talking  , after both had received warnings  after ortiz's pouting caused both benches to empty IMO ortiz should of been tossed then ortiz then got ejected for charging the mound I figure that deserves the extra day talking vs charging the mound....... hmmm  
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Again, just talking smack on a rival team's board. Seriously, out of all the things you could be doing with your time this is it for you?

Sections
Shortcuts