MLB to begin testing for HGH this season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

MLB to begin testing for HGH this season

From yahoo.com:

Major League Baseball will test players' blood for human growth hormone during the season starting this year, becoming the first American sport to do so and continuing the league's stand against performance-enhancing drugs following decades of abuse by players.

Following a rash of positive tests for testosterone last season, MLB also will implement a new testing procedure for the synthetic drug, according to sources. The league will use a "longitudinal testing program" in which its testing lab in Montreal will maintain baseline concentrations of testosterone, epitestosterone and T/E ratio. The lab will compare those values to subsequent tests. If there is a statistically significant difference, the lab will scrutinize the sample with IRMS testing to see if the result was caused by a PED.

The league and the MLB Players Association agreed to the in-season testing after blood testing for HGH last spring. While the union had long opposed the invasiveness of blood testing, executive director Michael Weiner has worked with MLB to strengthen what doping experts say is the best testing program in professional sports. CBSSports.com first reported the agreement.

The in-season testing will be random, much like the current testing for other PEDs, according to a source, though it is unknown how many tests the league will implement. The efficacy of the test remains in question, too, as HGH is quick to leave the bloodstream. Still, in 2011, Mike Jacobs tested positive for the drug in the minor leagues, where the tests have been standard since the middle of the 2010 season. The implementation followed a positive test on rugby player Terry Newton. 

MLB planned to announced the new rules a day after a Hall of Fame vote in which Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, two players tied to PED use, were denied entry, and in which voters copped to keeping Mike Piazza and Jeff Bagwell off their ballots because of suspected use.

PED use remains prevalent throughout baseball. Last season, pitcher Guillermo Mota, infielder Freddy Galvis, outfielder Melky Cabrera, pitcher Bartolo Colon and catchers Yasmani Grandal and Carlos Ruiz were suspended for using banned substances. And that followed an offseason in which reigning National League MVP Ryan Braun was caught with excessive testosterone in his blood. His suspension was overturned in arbitration.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: MLB to begin testing for HGH this season

This is a big step in the right direction.

Random unannounced blood tests during the season.

This makes it really difficult for the cheaters.

Whoever gets caught now is really just plain stupid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Well, the great shutout of 2013 has given us at least one positive result.

It is going to be real interesting which of today's sluggers disappear.  There are going to be at least a few teams holding a whole lot of worthless contracts.  Anyone want to bet on Bautista and Encarnacion having monster seasons again?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If they truly want to rid the game of the use of steriods...it's pretty simple... 3 strikes and you're out.

Strike 1) Two year ban after first positve test, club has option of voiding contract. Player is not allowed to be affiliated with,play for, work out at or use the facilities of any team that has a working agreement with major league baseball for the duration of the suspension. if the player agrees to participate in a random testing program and maintains negative test for a period of 1 year he may then if not released by his club, use the clubs facilities and apply for reinstatement. 

Strike 2) Two year ban. Contract is automatically voided, player becomes ineligable for Hall of fame consideration and all of their records and statistic are voided. The same conditions as above apply regarding use of facilities. However player must agree to random testing. After the completion of the second consecutive calendar year can apply for reinstatement. One positive test during the time period would result in a lifetime ban. 

Strike 3) Lifetime ban...

Short of taking away the players ability to play the game and voiding thier contracts. Players like Melky Cabrera just signed with the Blue Jays and will make millions..Manny after signing his new deal with the Dodgers. tested positive and was suspended for 50 game....that year he netted 17 million...As long as the incentive to use outweighs the risk of the penalties. why would any of the players stop using...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If they truly want to rid the game of the use of steriods...it's pretty simple... 3 strikes and you're out.

Strike 1) Two year ban after first positve test, club has option of voiding contract. Player is not allowed to be affiliated with,play for, work out at or use the facilities of any team that has a working agreement with major league baseball for the duration of the suspension. if the player agrees to participate in a random testing program and maintains negative test for a period of 1 year he may then if not released by his club, use the clubs facilities and apply for reinstatement. 

Strike 2) Two year ban. Contract is automatically voided, player becomes ineligable for Hall of fame consideration and all of their records and statistic are voided. The same conditions as above apply regarding use of facilities. However player must agree to random testing. After the completion of the second consecutive calendar year can apply for reinstatement. One positive test during the time period would result in a lifetime ban. 

Short of taking away the players ability to play the game and voiding thier contracts. Players like Melky Cabrera just signed with the Blue Jays and will make millions..Manny after signing his new deal with the Dodgers. tested positive and was suspended for 50 game....that year he netted 17 million...As long as the incentive to use outweighs the risk of the penalties. why would any of the players stop using...

[/QUOTE]

BT,

2 year ban after one abuse would get some attention.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Just curious why the testing will be done out of the country. Odd, considering that there is only one team in Canada, and MLB resides in this country. That has to be for a reason. IMO

And the only way to get rid of steroids/PEDs in baseball is to make it illegal in baseball. By that I mean, if you use you are out of baseball. It still doesn't appear to me that MLB takes anything seriously that they simply fine and suspend you for 50 games/days whatever.

I also think it would be a good idea to have testing done for everyone that is going to be in the playoffs prior to the playoff games. That would be awesome. Talk about an even playing field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I agree with Kim that if MLB wanted to be serious about cleaning up its act - it should institute a one and done policy...why give them a do over?  That would get everyone's attention and end this steroid era once and for all.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BT,

2 year ban after one abuse would get some attention.

[/QUOTE]

TWM,

2 year ban is the standard used by the body that oversees the Olympics drug testing policies and it includes mandatory random blood and urine test. In part to insure that the athlete's are completely clean before they're allowed to apply for reinstatement. In the end it's about the money...In the industry that is sport, both professional and in the amatuer ranks with contracts and endorsements, where we're talkin millions of dollars. The quest to compete and fufill a lifetime dream for every athlete is unfortunately paved with choices and one of those is if and when they need to consult the sports medicine man...

What my proposal and all those that are currently in place neglect to address is the culture that creates the need for athletes to use. "keeping up with the Jones"...If your toiling away in the minors and the prevailing knowledge and perception is that a very high percentage of players are indeed using. Then logic suggest that in order to compete at the big league level and or just to be seen as a legit prospect. In an effort to even the playing field at somepoint the temptation to use outweighs the morality of. Then when it becomes so common place it becomes the norm, like taking your daily vitamins. We have what has transpired in MLB, International Cycling, Track and Field and the NFL and I'm sure many others that haven't gotton the amount of press and scrutiny as these organizations have...

Recently ESPN did a piece on Armstrong and pervasive use of blood doping in the sport. The story focused on the USA cylcing team and forgive but I forgot the guys name but one of his teammates on that team. Spoke to the brazen manner in which all teams worked together to masked the rampant blood doping in the sport. Even saying as much as Armstrong kept the stuff in his refrigerator in his home....The guy in the piece spoke to how he came to use and that it was highly recommended and administered to he and his teammates by the teams trainer. They'd often get their dose, in a "van" parked along the route of the Tour d' France. Each of them knowing exactly how much and how often to use the "masking agents" etc...Basically it came to use or lose not a hard choice if you spent a lifetime working hard to put yourself in position to compete at the highest level...

BT

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and in which voters copped to keeping Mike Piazza and Jeff Bagwell off their ballots because of suspected use.

[/QUOTE] to me these two always seemed like "just go about your business" type players..i wonder if either of them would care to set the record straight on themselves...not that HOF is the end all be all...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Yes I am curious if all those Yankees who defy age are going to be as priductive as they have been in the past Jeter, Rivera, Petite and crew.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes I am curious if all those Yankees who defy age are going to be as priductive as they have been in the past Jeter, Rivera, Petite and crew.

[/QUOTE] i'm sure they are too.... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What a surprise; I knew that was the content before I read it. Yes, Jeter & Rivera did them but his moniker (Ortiz) didn't.  Pathetic

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes it amazes me how they defy age especially Jeter and Rivera. I am curious if they are going to put up all those numbers they continue to put up with the HGH testing being done this year by MLB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Great players tend to do great things later in their careers. Maybe TW and Yaz did them too

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Jeter and Rivera are two Yankees I highly respect.  I'm sure they are successful because of their hard work.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Good news, and long overdue. As Joe B said, it will be interesting to see whose performance suddenly drops off a cliff...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jeter and Rivera are two Yankees I highly respect.  I'm sure they are successful because of their hard work.  

[/QUOTE]

I would not bet the ranch on it. They are saying that a lot of players are on it. So I guess we shall see in 2013 what the production levels are.  It just amazes me how players in their twilight years resurrect their careers when they come to New York, like Raul Ibanez, Andrew Jones, Bartolo Colon. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

.  It just amazes me how players in their twilight years resurrect their careers when they come to New York, like Raul Ibanez, Andrew Jones, Bartolo Colon. 

[/QUOTE]

interesting

it amazes him that colon had a special operation

that everyone, including mlb, knows about

and that ibanez hit more HR the yr B4 he was on the yanks

in a LH power haven

[/QUOTE]

I want to know what "Vitamins" he was taking in September when he was hitting home runs like crazy. Dont be naive. If by taking something is going to help a player put up big numbers and get a better contract, do you actually believe he is going to say something about it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

.  It just amazes me how players in their twilight years resurrect their careers when they come to New York, like Raul Ibanez, Andrew Jones, Bartolo Colon. 

[/QUOTE]

interesting

it amazes him that colon had a special operation

that everyone, including mlb, knows about

and that ibanez hit more HR the yr B4 he was on the yanks

in a LH power haven

[/QUOTE]

Yes he had an operation all right and just got better after it. Oh yeah and AROD was clean as well.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts