MLB Trade Rumors: Carp for Aceves?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: MLB Trade Rumors: Carp for Aceves?

This would be the best trade young Ben has made, IMO, if he can pull it off.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They just claimed him for a PTBNL or cash considerations

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

This would be the best trade young Ben has made, IMO, if he can pull it off.

I'm beginning to look at this years team as watching 162 old timer games.  Younger players but with the talent level of the 60 year olds.

This season should be interesting!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:
    In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The Red Sox could possibly obtain Mike Carp from the Mariners in exchange for Alfredo Aceves, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe opines. The Sox are one of several teams interested in Carp, though Aceves' trade value may be minimal thanks to his off-the-field behavior.

That's merely the opinion of Globecolumnist Nick Cafardo, who appears to be out-of-touch.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/02/ask_nick_what_i.html?comments=all#readerComm

As I responded to Cafardo's column on Monday:

"Why would Seattle trade Mike Carp for Alfredo Aceves, a 30-year-old pitcher with character issues, who would require a slot on the 40-man roster, making $2.65 million in the penultimate year of team control? The deep Mariner pitching staff has more reliable and less expensive options. I expect Seattle to trade Mike Carp for a prospect in the low minors with a high ceiling."

Alfredo Aceves wouldn't be much of a role model for Seattle's touted young pitchers. If the Mariners don't have room on the 40-man roster for Mike Carp, the M's don't have room on the 40-man roster for Aceves (although Aceves, unlike Carp, has one option remaining).

I don't anticipate that Seattle will get a great return for Carp, but the return is unlikely to be Aceves.

I would be ecstatic if I was a Mariners and we got Aceves for Carp.

The Mariners would need to bump another player off the 40-man roster (which was one reason Seattle designated Mike Carp for assignment).

According to the Bill James Handbook, righthander Alfredo Aceves projects to be less valuable than righthander Hector Noesi, who may not make Seattle's 25-man roster this year.

Although I highly doubt Seattle has any interest in Aceves, I would note that the Mariners have a recent history of rehabilitating a Mexican pitcher with a head-case reputation. Last season lefthander Oliver Perez posted a 2.12 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 29.2 innings, holding opponents to a .243/.303/.324/.628 line. This offseason Perez, who is 16 months older than Aceves, landed a $1.5 million contract with the Mariners on the free agent market. Aceves at $2.65 million does not look like a bargain in comparison.

This is just silly talk Hill. He would easily make the 25 roster and probably start. He is definitely more valuable then at least one person on the 40 man. The reason Carp got the ax was because of the surplus of people matching his skill not because there are 40 players better than him. Aceves for Carp would be a steal of a pure talent stand point. To compare Perez to Aceves is laughable. You are comparing someone who had years of failure and was out of baseball to a fairly decent pitcher.

Perhaps you overvalue a troubled 30-year-old pitcher earning $2.65 million who was unceremoniously jettisoned by the Yankees two years ago and who is projected to have an ERA/FIP north of 4.00 coming off a season with a 5.36 ERA. The Mariners would be unlikely to value Aceves over Felix Hernandez, Hisashi Iwakuma, Joe Saunders, Erasmo Ramirez, Blake Beavan, Hector Noesi, Jon Garland, Charlie Furbush, Oliver Perez, Tom Wilhelmsen, Carter Capps, Josh Kinney, Stephen Pryor, Lucas Luetge, Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen, James Paxton, Brandon Maurer, Luiz Gohara, Victor Sanchez or Tyler Pike.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Since he can play both OF and 1B, he will great off the bench. And, If Naps, goes down, we have a boanfide 1B to slot in.

I hope the PTBNL is Aceves. We don't need that head case no matter how well he pitches.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Since he can play both OF and 1B, he will great off the bench. And, If Naps, goes down, we have a boanfide 1B to slot in.

I hope the PTBNL is Aceves. We don't need that head case no matter how well he pitches.

If it is a trade that Aceves wants, why reward his aberrant behavior and allow him to dictate the terms of his stay here unless its also good for the team? If we can get value for him, which I doubt, then sure, trade him. If not, suspension is a better way to go IMO. I think he will remain with the team this year and will settle down as much as Aceves CAN settle down.

10. This post has been removed.