MLB Trend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxman16. Show soxman16's posts

MLB Trend

Is it me or is anyone asking themselves whats up with two of the highest payroll teams? Maybe these players are just spoiled overpaid, over rated players.. Both the SOX and Yankees are golfing right now.. The Yanks looked washed up last night against the Tigers... perhaps the long season grind just had all of these guys burnt out?? I dont know but i would really appreciated your comments on this one..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: MLB Trend

I don't think the NYY exactly looked washed up losing a win or go home game 4-3. That was a close series that could have gone either way.

The NYY had a pretty good year actually. They got more out of the patchwork they had to do with their starting rotation than they had a right to expect, Hughes fought injury this year, their bullpen was very, very good. Better pitchng than many thought. They still have a superb offense.

There is a reason everyone taks about just getting to the playoffs healthy and anything can happen. We saw it in the NYY-Tigers series.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I believe in the curse of the big budget.

Bidding goes overboard for the top free agents with the big-budget teams typically overpaying. Long-term contracts can hamper even the wealthiest clubs. An unproductive signing is magnified by the player's salary. Small-market teams make personnel errors as well, but those mistakes don't have the salary magnitude to attract much attention.

This is an over-generalization, but the small budget is more likely to spawn creativity and innovation while the large budget is more likely to resemble a shopping excursion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Because fans equate payroll with quality and the ability to win, despite baseball repeated proving that the edge it gives is marginal at best...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Detroit is not exactly on a shoe-string budget.  Really, only Arizona fits that bill, of all the teams left in the playoffs.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

OK, let's try this lame joke I came up with:

What is a good thing to have in Galilee but a bad thing to have in NY?

A herd of expensive goats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I kept expecting the Yanks to get a big arm in July. They seem to be shying away from their old ways of late. Maybe this winter will reverse the trend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: MLB Trend:
    [QUOTE]I kept expecting the Yanks to get a big arm in July. They seem to be shying away from their old ways of late. Maybe this winter will reverse the trend.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    The four teams still in the running all made key acquisitions in midseason trades:

St. Louis: Rafael Furcal, Edwin Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel

Milwaukee: Francisco Rodriguez, Jerry Hairston Jr.

Texas: Mike Adams, Koji Uehara, Mike Gonzalez, Matt Treanor

Detroit:  Doug Fister, Delmon Young, Wilson Betemit

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Because fans equate payroll with quality and the ability to win, despite baseball repeated proving that the edge it gives is marginal at best...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Do you think NY winning all those divisions was by luck?
    Payroll has a tremendous  impact on team talent level.
    Sorry Notin, but I'll go by a couple of decades of regular season baseball proving buying up top talent equals wins...over brief PO series.
    The game of baseball has to be measured over the long run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"Sorry Notin, but I'll go by a couple of decades of regular season baseball proving buying up top talent equals wins...over brief PO series." harness

And you had to ask why I say baseball is ruining itself?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]I kept expecting the Yanks to get a big arm in July. They seem to be shying away from their old ways of late. Maybe this winter will reverse the trend.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

The Yankees signed no big FA's last winter, they signed a couple of low cost/high reward pitchers and were lucky.  I believe they think that they have the future in the minor leagues.  I also would not be surprised if they make a concerted effort to get King Felix...they have the minor league prospects to pull that deal off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB Trend : Do you think NY winning all those divisions was by luck? Payroll has a tremendous   impact on team talent level. Sorry Notin , but I'll go by a couple of decades of regular season baseball proving buying up top talent equals wins...over brief PO series. The game of baseball has to be measured over the long run.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Oddly, you would be surprised t the result...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think the NYY exactly looked washed up losing a win or go home game 4-3. That was a close series that could have gone either way. The NYY had a pretty good year actually. They got more out of the patchwork they had to do with their starting rotation than they had a right to expect, Hughes fought injury this year, their bullpen was very, very good. Better pitchng than many thought. They still have a superb offense. There is a reason everyone taks about just getting to the playoffs healthy and anything can happen. We saw it in the NYY-Tigers series.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you.  You can't compare the Yankees losing to the Red Sox.  I was surprised that the Yankees lost, but it was a very close series.  The Phillies also lost last night.  This was also very surprising. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]OK, let's try this lame joke I came up with: What is a good thing to have in Galilee but a bad thing to have in NY? A herd of expensive goats.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Good one...Except that also applied to us this season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

On the last day of the regular season, five East division teams were still in the running for the World Series title: Philadelphia Phillies, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Tampa Bay Rays and Atlanta Braves. On the same day, three Central division teams remained in the running: Milwaukee Brewers, Detroit Tigers and St. Louis Cardinals.

Today no East division team is still playing while all three Central division teams remain alive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Fox Sports must be livid that a mid-west World Series will happen this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's a young man's game and many of the high salary teams have too many old, fat, unmotivated players.

This really comes into play when you take into account the long season.

Shorten the season back to the old 154 or whatever it used to be, stop long term contracts, reduce both leagues to two divisions of 6 teams each with no wildcard (24 total MLB teams) as the talent pool is not vast enough to stock 30 teams. Enforce the rules and make pitchers stop shaking off signs for 10 minutes ....get the games under 3 hours!

In my opinion, this sport , like all others is suffering from millionaire players, with millionaire agents and billionaire owners who only are concerned about how much wealthier they can get....this is the MLB trend that is allowing the small market teams with younger players to wake up at the end of the season and play hard knowing full well the bloated large market teams do not give 100% all season and can either be caught in the standings or beat in the playoffs. Teamwork is absent from the sport and by September the MLB season ends with a whimper instead of a bang as the players who work hard and play everyday show signs of fatigue and the older fat cats have become complacent and lazy or are injured.

This all makes for a unsensational finish to the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Fox Sports must be livid that a mid-west World Series will happen this year.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]
    The 2006 World Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and Detroit Tigers drew a rating of 10.1 and a share of 17.

The 2007 World Series between the Boston Red Sox and the Colorado Rockies drew a rating of 10.6 and share of 18.

Fox could do worse.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

You think the finish to the season has been unsensational?

We are watching different games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Payroll is highly correlated with the number of wins during the 162 game regular season. Anything can happen in an abbreviated five game playoff series. Such short series are typically won by great pitching, defense, hot bats, and a measure of good luck. Note that Jeter missed hitting it out by fifteen feet which would have put the Yanks into the ALCS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]"Sorry  Notin , but I'll go by a couple of decades of regular season baseball proving buying up top talent equals wins...over brief PO series." harness And you had to ask why I say baseball is ruining itself?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Frown        Ya got me on that one.