MLBPA Being Paid Not to Work!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: MLBPA Being Paid Not to Work!

If they dont play and are not legitimately hurt, they should not receive their bonus. easy as that..Jeter was 5-5 and Mo pitched this weekend. Lester is on DL and i think everyone else is going.. This is the second time ive agreed with you 100% in 2 days..never thought..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It amazes me the players union finds new ways to demean our collective brain power. Wether hurt, disqualified, or players who simply decline to go should be an automatic cancellation of bonus's.

It never stops. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Used to be a privelege and an honor to be selected an All Star. Now it's just an inconvenience and players would rather have the 3 or 4 days off than participate.
    Just goes to show that these arrogant narcissists don't give a damn about the fans, but we will continue to pay exhorbitant ticket prices to see ou so-called "heroes" play.
    I wish the fans would rally and boycott baseball for a week just to show the players why they are out there!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would follow that.... I have suggested just one day out of the season that America boycotts baseball. Imagine if a day in July every stadium looked like Tampa... it would send a message but you would have to do it again. Likely your week boycott would be best.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Fans Union - I have been calling for it since 1994. Fans could actually organize enough pressure to bring down concession and ticket prices - and subsequently players salaries.  

Fans due's could be $2 a person or something small, fan ID cards issued, genera boycotts called when necessary, etc.,.  

I know it would work, but I think 1995 was the time for it... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to MLBPA Being Paid Not to Work!:
    [QUOTE]Fat cats, jets, obscene profits. Players who withdraw from the All-Star team after being selected still qualify for their bonuses , regardless of whether they play in the game or show up for the festivities . But Weiner defended the awarding of those bonuses, even for players who skip the event entirely, saying those clauses should not be tied to participation in the game or the ceremonies that surround it.   -- YS Lock the bums out!
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

I happen to think that the only situation in which a players all-star bonus should be withheld is if they refuse to attend the game and they are healthy and didn't pitch in the last game before the break (starting pitchers only).  In order to be considered too injured to participate, the player must be on the DL.

At the same time though, the all-star clauses in contracts aren't paying the players for their participation in the event, rather for their performance in the seasons first half, which greatly benefits the team.  By refusing to participate in the game, the player has a chance to rest, recover from nagging injuries, and help his team in the 2nd half.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The bonus is not for playing or even appearing in the all-star game. The basis of these bonus clauses is to define a level of performance during the first half of a season and to pay for it if it is high enough to earn being named to the all star game.

Those that are paying the bonuses (the individual teams) don't care if the player actual appears at the all star event. In fact in many cases they are happier if their players are at all nicked up for them to take the 3 days to rest and recover.

The owners don't care about the award to the all star game just like players can get bonuses for MVP, Cy Young and other awards, it is about the performance of the player during regular season games.

Before you complain about players opting out of the all-star game, ask yourself if you complained about Dice-K putting his country before his team to play in the WBC. If you did, perhaps that is a bit conflicted?

10. This post has been removed.