Mo Rivera still rollin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Mo Rivera still rollin

he just keeps on goin..from MLB.com....

Mo makes history with 1,000th appearance

Rivera first pitcher to have that many outings with one team

• NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera has come a long way since giving up five runs in 3 1/3 innings as a 25-year-old in his Major League debut 16 years and two days ago.

For one, that 10-0 loss came against the California Angels. And Rivera was a starter, not the game's dominant closer.

Flash forward to Wednesday, 572 saves -- and yes, even 75 wins -- later. Rivera emerged from the Yankee Stadium bullpen at the end of the eighth inning to his trademark "Enter Sandman" entrance music. In a non-save situation against the Blue Jays, the 17-year Yankee veteran preserved a 7-3 win in his 1,000th career appearance, a 12-pitch outing, becoming the 15th pitcher ever to reach the plateau, and the first to do it with one team.

"You have to be old to do that," the 41-year-old Rivera joked. "But it's a blessing, being with the same team and being able to do that, not too often you see. Most important thing is that we won."

Rivera recalled his big league debut Wednesday, saying he was excited for the opportunity and that he never questioned if he belonged.

An eventual five World Series rings, a World Series MVP Award and a 2.22 career ERA would prove that he did.

And all because of one pitch.

"It just tells you how great he is at his trade, because he's really never fooled people," manager Joe Girardi said of Rivera's signature cutter. "It wasn't like you're looking for a fastball and you get a changeup. Or you're looking for a fastball and you get a curveball. Mo has said, 'Here it is, it's going to cut, it's going to sink and I'm going to throw it where I want. And try to do something with it.' And I can't think of any pitcher that's really ever done that."

General manager Brian Cashman said he was at a loss of words praising someone who has set an impossible standard at his position.

"Every aspect of what he's done is incredible," Cashman said. "Again, when you simplify it to he's a one-pitch pitcher, coming from a small fishermen village in Panama, to have this type of success in the biggest city of the world -- one of the biggest cities of the world -- it's incredible. And he's that great a guy at the same time. He hasn't changed; he's the same person he was when he signed. ... Just a rare person."

Rivera said he planned on celebrating the milestone by going to church.

When asked if the idea of 1,000 appearances was hard to believe, Rivera asked the assembled media members what they thought.

"It's pretty hard to believe," one reporter replied.

"Well it is," Rivera said. "Because again, you've got to have the right combination ... the organization that was willing to keep you, and you've got to do your job and take care of yourself.

"All of that has to be in place. And thank God that He helped me with all that, support of the family and all that, my wife. And with that, you just have to be thankful to the Lord, being able to play with so many greats, great players, and what else you can say?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: Mo Rivera still rollin

Nice post Jete!

Congratulations to Mo on yet another amazing accomplishment.  Dude just gets better with age. 

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend, Jete.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

There will never be another like him.  An all-time great, a guy hard not to admire despite the fact that he plays for a division rival.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey Soups!!..thanks...same to you...only bad part is Yanks will be on the road

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Damn it, I keep waiting for him to fall apart, like I did when I turned 40!!!

And the worst part is, he's such a good guy I can't even dislike him!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Mo is my favorite athlete, bar none. Love the guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

I think we can add this to the list of the toughest records to break in sports.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Lloyd, it's too bad some of your own can't give Wake that same respect...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

The guy is incredible. They ought to clone him so every team can have one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

it shouldnt even be a record, just like Ripken's straight games played but in today's stats world we love irrelevant stuff like that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

it shouldnt even be a record, just like Ripken's straight games played but in today's stats world we love irrelevant stuff like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ahah!  Nagy is a closet Yankee fan after all!  Kim is going to have a field day.

"The guy is incredible. They ought to clone him (Mo) so every team can have one."  MikeNagy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Mo Rivera still rollin:
    [QUOTE]Ahah!  Nagy is a closet Yankee fan!  Kim is going to have a field day. "The guy is incredible. They ought to clone him (Mo) so every team can have one."   MikeNagy

Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]Ahah!  Nagy is a closet Yankee fan after all!   Kim is going to have a field day. "The guy is incredible. They ought to clone him (Mo) so every team can have one."   MikeNagy
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Fanning the flames, huh Burrito?

Yell

Wink

I think pike is right about you. You are here to have fun.

Don't you know that this is serious business and we are all supposed to be miserable?

What are you doing up this time of day. I thought you worked the night shift with your pal harness?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I got bored toying with harness... its like once you catch the mouse in the same trap for the 100th time you start to get bored; I need more clever prey.  Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]Lloyd, it's too bad some of your own can't give Wake that same respect...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

The same crowd that lament the return of Wakefield every year will pine for a guy with his versatility and longevity when he's gone.  He's obviously not on Rivera's level in terms of status in the game, but Wake has been a remarkable value to the Sox.  When he and Rivera are gone, things will be a little less interesting. 

Sections
Shortcuts