Monday Night Game Thread - Sox/O's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Monday Night Game Thread - Sox/O's

Evening folks, how's everyone?...crazy night at the Trop delayed b/c lightning hit two of the light banks...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread - Sox/O's:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread - Sox/O's : I have been paying attention. What does " saved the bullpen " even mean?  He is very capable of starting and pitching well.  Far better than Wake or Miller. Are you telling me that a middle reliever is more important than a quality starter?  Please!!
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

It depends on the starter.

In four starts, Aceves has a 5.14 ERA (21 IP, barely over 5 innings a start).

In 22 relief appearances, 42 iP, he has a 2.13 ERA.

In today's game where the bullpen is important, you want weaken the bullpen where he's had a huge impact to make him a mediocre starter. Brilliant.

If you want to find another starter other than Wake, fine, but leave Aceves where he is. Or don't you remember the bullpen woes last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]agree on aceves starting over wake dgale 100%
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]
    I honestly cannot see how this is even arguable.  Too valuable in the bullpen? As what? A long reliever?  Meanwhile you are starting guys with ERA's of 5 and above. Guys who can't even go five innings. Talk about saving the bullpen.  Give me a break.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

That was a ball but its Adrian's fault for swinging at ball 3

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

3 or 4 spot starts, hardly a fair sample

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

not sure aceves' back would allow him to start this year....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I know that I said it before, but I'll say it again. Aceves should be in the rotation. He is so obviously better than Wake, Miller and Weiland that I don't see how it is even arguable. The argument that he is " too valuable in the pen "  does not make sense.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]As a starter his WHIP is 1.571, as a relief pitcher 0.969. There isn't an argument. He has been a much better reliever. And with Wake, Miller and Weiland they need a guy with a 0.969 WHIP in the bullpen that can go 35-40 pitches deep.

Anytime you question what the RS do, go to the stat sheet and you will usually find the reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

uke uke

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

YOUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new game

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Way to go, Youk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Ellsbury scores again and the Mayberry troll is kicking his dog.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Youk!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread - Sox/O's : Good analysis Some people seem to feel that Wake had a choice as to how he pitched tonight. He has no choice, on the other hand, Francona does have a choice as to how he manages.....ummm sorry that's not true. He manages to the best of his ability, it's the lack of managing ability that does Francona in. He doesn't have the choice of managing well or managing poorly. He's stuck with managing poorly, which is his best. 
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

I don't think Tito's a poor manager, quite the contrary.  But his one bugga-boo is leaving in pitchers too long.  Our offense usually covers his behind, and may very well tonight - but Wake was dragging anchor.  Also, you can almost tell when Wake's gonna have a bad inning - usually starts off with a hit batter or a strike-three passed ball with the runner advancing.  At this juncture in his career, the defense can absolutely NOT give extra outs.  15 years ago, maybe, today - not a chance.  Brutal at bat by Agon - hope Youk can pick him up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

HAHAHA Told you 7 wouldn't enough. Now to take the lead and hold on to it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Youk!! Tie game..Reports of our loss were sorely mistaken....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Evening folks, how's everyone?...crazy night at the Trop delayed b/c lightning hit two of the light banks...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Yeah, noticed on espn they were having trouble at Crapicana field. They switched to the Sox game for a few minutes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread - Sox/O's : myp2p.eu....yaz, it's also on mlb extra inning,  having a free preview all week
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Thanks J-Bay ....

Way to go youk.

Off to the donut shop ...take care of everyone.  See you in about 20

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread - Sox/O's : As a starter his WHIP is 1.571, as a relief pitcher 0.969. There isn't an argument. He has been a much better reliever. And with Wake, Miller and Weiland they need a guy with a 0.969 WHIP in the bullpen that can go 35-40 pitches deep. Anytime you question what the RS do, go to the stat sheet and you will usually find the reason.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    Aceves has very good stuff. He had one terrible start. There is no logical reason that he would pitch better in relief than as a starter. Those numbers will show that over the long run.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Come on, Carl. Big spot here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

he was safe

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Looked safe, to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]3 or 4 spot starts, hardly a fair sample
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

I agree. He's unproven as a starter. One good start would knock the ERA down. But he is proven in his role in the bullpen, which is very important.

To suggest having dependable arms in the bullpen isn't important, like dgale did, is laughable. It's even more laughable that dgale has to ask what saving the bullpen means.

The job Aceves has done in long relief and in the sixth and seventh inning has allowed Francona to set up the pen and have guys in their role. Nothing is more demoralizing to a team than to have a lead only to see the pen blow it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

At least Carl's running well.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

That looked safe, could b wrong but man, i hate it when those dont go our way

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday Night Game Thread - Sox/O's : I agree. He's unproven as a starter. One good start would knock the ERA down. But he is proven in his role in the bullpen, which is very important. To suggest having dependable arms in the bullpen isn't important, like dgale did, is laughable. It's even more laughable that dgale has to ask what saving the bullpen means. The job Aceves has done in long relief and in the sixth and seventh inning has allowed Francona to set up the pen and have guys in their role. Nothing is more demoralizing to a team than to have a lead only to see the pen blow it.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

The Yankees also had Aceves slotted as a long reliever.  He did a great job for them in that role in 2009.