Mookie Betts is starting in CF today for Portland-thoughts on bringing him up later as CF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Mookie Betts is starting in CF today for Portland-thoughts on bringing him up later as CF?

Portland Sea Dogs@PortlandSeaDogs  ·  11m Mookie Betts is starting in CF today, his first professional start in the outfield. 236 previous starts at 2B, SS and DH. #SeaDogsBaseball

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Mookie Betts is starting in CF today for Portland-thoughts on bringing him up later as CF?

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Portland Sea Dogs@PortlandSeaDogs  ·  11m Mookie Betts is starting in CF today, his first professional start in the outfield. 236 previous starts at 2B, SS and DH. #SeaDogsBaseball

[/QUOTE]WOW, the braintrust wheels are turning !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Mookie Betts is starting in CF today for Portland-thoughts on bringing him up later as CF?

Bring him up from AA, to the majors, to play CF, a position hes never played? I don't think so. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If he makes his way to Boston I don't know if he pushes Bradley to right or if Bradley pushes him to LF. 

I knew a change was going to come soon and I figured it would have been either SS/CF.  Until very recently I would have said they were going to throw him in the outfield but I was actually starting to think they were going to try him over at SS.

Regardless from what I've heard he's a good athlete and looks comfortable in the outfield in BP and played there in High School. 

If he handles a position change by still putting up easy numbers in Portland he will get a promotion to Pawtucket by mid summer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If he makes his way to Boston I don't know if he pushes Bradley to right or if Bradley pushes him to LF.

If he is in the same outfield as JBJ, I'd have to think he'd be a LFer.  If JBJ is not in CF, I doubt he'd be on the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he is in the same outfield as JBJ, I'd have to think he'd be a LFer.  If JBJ is not in CF, I doubt he'd be on the team.

[/QUOTE]

That's where I'm leaning too, but I'm intrigued to see how Betts looks out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A position change for Betts was inevitable. Good to see it happen. A little surprised that it is centerfield and not leftfield.

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A position change for Betts was inevitable. Good to see it happen. A little surprised that it is centerfield and not leftfield.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

He's a plus athlete, with plus speed, plus instincts, and played SS/CF in high school.  I'm not surprised they are starting him off there at all, but I won't be surprised either if he moves to LF.  But it makes sense to see if he can handle CF first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

He's a plus athlete, with plus speed, plus instincts, and played SS/CF in high school.  I'm not surprised they are starting him off there at all, but I won't be surprised either if he moves to LF.  But it makes sense to see if he can handle CF first.

[/QUOTE]

I agree that it makes sense to get him comfortable in the outfield at a position he's played before, even if it wasn't at the pro level.  No one knows how it will all shake out and there's always the possibility that he does take on a Chone Figgins/Ben Zobrist type role, at least initially.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it is a little early to be thinking about that. The kid is a sensation, but the stats at the farm system don't translate that quickly to the show. Let's see if he makes it to AAA by the end of this season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I don't care what league he's playing in; with an OPS of 1.043, one homer every 25 AB, and empty sides at Fenway on a Sat. night in May? Of course, they'll have him up this year. The question is where will they play him? I think he;ll have a cup of coffee in Pawtucket, play LF, CF, 3B, then we'll see him in Fenway. (along with a full house if he pulls a TW on us!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't care what league he's playing in; with an OPS of 1.043, one homer every 25 AB, and empty sides at Fenway on a Sat. night in May? Of course, they'll have him up this year. The question is where will they play him? I think he;ll have a cup of coffee in Pawtucket, play LF, CF, 3B, then we'll see him in Fenway. (along with a full house if he pulls a TW on us!)

[/QUOTE]

What if he was putting up those numbers in the South Atlantic league? or in the rookie leagues??? would you want to play him in Fenway this year?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It is not out of the world crazy to think Betts might realistically be our middle infield sub by September, with time as a platoon in CF with JBJ. We are not taking Bogaerts or Pedroia out of the lineup much for him. So what do they realistically do? His bat plays up the most in CF and he's fast enough to play there. You've got to hope they can get better production than they have now from LF and if they don't a trade is probably in order, or the Cechinni option. I think he moves up to Pawtucket soon and gets at least some PT in the outfield and particularly CF. The guy isn't even on the 40 man yet right. He is a freight train coming down the 95 so fast he's going to miss Boston for a while and end up in Pawtcucket but he's coming.

Everything fits together nicely if Middlebrooks produces. Middlebrooks is a key player in our chances this year. If he does an epic fail it kills the season potentially. If he produces we are likely to be in the playoffs. It could go either way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Betts can steal bases. I love the above option. He would potentially be a real solid solution for us in that role.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It wouldn't be completely 100% unprecedented if Mookie Betts found his way to Boston by seasons end, and even contributed.  But while plausible, it is a bit unrealistic and too assuming.  He's barely had 150 at bats above A ball, a lot more still has to happen before he finds his way to Boston.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

The mookster is probably not superman, but maybe Batman able to strike at evil doers no matter to which part of the field they hit the ball.  But seriously it seems a reach to expect him to help the big club this year.  I think Al Kaline started  at Detroit at twenty..  As for his size Joe Morgan, and Hack Wilson were not real tall, and Hack was a great hitter, but liked to drink too much so his career was shorter than Morgan and Kaline.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

The SOX definitely need a CF.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Portland up 2 zip. In third Betts singled, to second on sac bunt , steals third, and scores on bad throw by catcher.  Need 37 stories or one of ythe Portland arera fans to tell us how he is doing in center

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THey have one...his name is Bradley.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I love the move and have been calling for shuffling some prospects' positions for quite some time. Sometime, I think we wait too long.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Word is he didn't have many balls hit to him today. Pretty non eventful. 19 steals though now, with 3 CS. No matter where you look, every single number that guy posts is impressive as heck.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

CF is easier to play

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

What if he was putting up those numbers in the South Atlantic league? or in the rookie leagues??? would you want to play him in Fenway this year?

[/QUOTE]
    No, and if he playing for Somerville HS I wouldn't want to see him in Fenway either!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK. If that's what you think. Me, I think the SOX need a CF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK. If that's what you think. Me, I think the SOX need a CF.

[/QUOTE]
    They have a CF who can play CF.  What they need is a CF (or someone at another position) who can HIT!

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Sections
Shortcuts