Mookie Betts isn't Human

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: Mookie Betts isn't Human

I now have Mookie Betts as our 2nd best prospect. In one week, he probably will be the number one prospect as Xander will lose his prospect status.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Interesting that the Sox have not initiated a position change for Betts. He is still playing second base every day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Interesting that the Sox have not initiated a position change for Betts. He is still playing second base every day.

I was surprised they didn't give Bogey some reps at 3B last year, even if just as  emergency situation insurance... oh yeah... that happened.

I was thinking Middy should have gotten some reps at 1B.

Cecchini might be close to trying another position soon.

I'd like to see Betts given a few reps at SS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When Napoli's deal expires (after 2015) and Papi has retired (maybe after 2015 as well), I could see this...

C: Vazquez/Swihart

1B: Middy (Cecchini)

2B: Pedey (Betts)

SS: Marrero (Bogey)

3B: Bogaerts (Middy/Cecchini)

LF: Betts/Cecchini (Hassan?)

CF: JBJ

RF: Free Agent or Acquisition (Brentz?)

DH: Cecchini/Betts (Middy)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It has always been thought that the jump to Double A has always been one of the biggest steps a prospect can make.  My guess is they want him to continue to prove himself and develop there.  A position change may very well be in the cards if Boston wants to find a path for him to Boston but I suspect that will come later this year or early next year.  Perhaps he wont' see a position off of 2nd Untill he reaches Pawtucket.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think Betts could possibly play SS.  He did move off of SS, which was his natural position.  Normally when a team moves a guy from SS to 2nd it is because they are inferiour at the position or they have a weak arm (although 2nd baseman are still generally athletic and some of the better defenders on a team) however I have some reservations about why Betts may have been moved.

When Betts was a SS, we had Iglesias, Bogaerts ahead of him in the system and Jose Vinicio has still a highly regarded prospect.  When the Sox drafted Devon Marrero in the first round they plugged him into SS and moved Betts over to 2nd.  Betts didn't seem to be anything special with the bat at that point.  So (and I don't know this for certain) I do speculate that the position change had more to do with the position being to crowded and everyone in front of Betts having a much higher prospect status.  We will never know for sure, but I wonder if the Sox knew what they knew know about Betts if they would have every shifted him.

Regardless, he has the athleticism to play almost any position. Soxprospects says he has a "solid average to better arm" so I wonder if he could even move to 3B or RF, although I think they might try him at SS/CF first.  Normally I wouldn't advocate a premium defender to switch to right....but playing half your games at Fenway an change that a bit.  Perhaps between JBJ and Betts the Sox can lock up CF/RF for years to come.  I'm no expert though, I just hope they find a place for him in Boston because he is showing himself to be more special day in and day out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

It has always been thought that the jump to Double A has always been one of the biggest steps a prospect can make.  My guess is they want him to continue to prove himself and develop there.  A position change may very well be in the cards if Boston wants to find a path for him to Boston but I suspect that will come later this year or early next year.  Perhaps he wont' see a position off of 2nd Untill he reaches Pawtucket.

Great points. 

I wonder sometimes though, with an obvious blocked position like 2B, and the fact that Betts was originally a SS (I hear), why not sooner rather than later?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I think Betts could possibly play SS.  He did move off of SS, which was his natural position.  Normally when a team moves a guy from SS to 2nd it is because they are inferiour at the position or they have a weak arm (although 2nd baseman are still generally athletic and some of the better defenders on a team) however I have some reservations about why Betts may have been moved.

When Betts was a SS, we had Iglesias, Bogaerts ahead of him in the system and Jose Vinicio has still a highly regarded prospect.  When the Sox drafted Devon Marrero in the first round they plugged him into SS and moved Betts over to 2nd.  Betts didn't seem to be anything special with the bat at that point.  So (and I don't know this for certain) I do speculate that the position change had more to do with the position being to crowded and everyone in front of Betts having a much higher prospect status.  We will never know for sure, but I wonder if the Sox knew what they knew know about Betts if they would have every shifted him.

Regardless, he has the athleticism to play almost any position. Soxprospects says he has a "solid average to better arm" so I wonder if he could even move to 3B or RF, although I think they might try him at SS/CF first.  Normally I wouldn't advocate a premium defender to switch to right....but playing half your games at Fenway an change that a bit.  Perhaps between JBJ and Betts the Sox can lock up CF/RF for years to come.  I'm no expert though, I just hope they find a place for him in Boston because he is showing himself to be more special day in and day out.

It's interesting to think our OF may someday be...

LF Cecchini

CF JBJ

RF Betts

Sections
Shortcuts