Who's a better batter this season?

Player A .324 BA

Player B .293 BA (5 more XBHs)

Now, add these other numbers:

Player A   .379 OBP / .531 SLG

Player B  .398 OBP / .537 SLG

Player A is Adrian Beltre and B is Goldschmidt

Sox4ever

Saying who was better between Beltre and Goldschmidt is purely that person's opinion. I don't think a 'better' argument can be made between the two of them.

[/QUOTE]

Golschmidt has clearly been a better offensive player than Beltre. Beltre is having a great season, but Goldschmidt has done better. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Moon Think Again - Guys with .250 BA and .400 OBA Don't Exist

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Who's a better batter this season?

Player A .324 BA

Player B .293 BA (5 more XBHs)

Now, add these other numbers:

Player A   .379 OBP / .531 SLG

Player B  .398 OBP / .537 SLG

Player A is Adrian Beltre and B is Goldschmidt

Sox4ever

Saying who was better between Beltre and Goldschmidt is purely that person's opinion. I don't think a 'better' argument can be made between the two of them.

[/QUOTE]

Golschmidt has clearly been a better offensive player than Beltre. Beltre is having a great season, but Goldschmidt has done better. 

[/QUOTE]

....of course he has, it's fairly close but obvious that it's Goldschmidt....unless one drives an Edsel and gets their stats off the back of a baseball card.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Beltre is pretty much a free swinger. Doesn't get a lot of walks.  And , a good hitter on a weaker team like Arizona may get pitched around more than a good hitter on a better team like Texas. Goldschmidt is a very good hitter. I wanted to go see him play when Arizona was at Fenway , but my lousy Edsel was in the shop again.

Stabbed by Foulke

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Beltre is pretty much a free swinger. Doesn't get a lot of walks.  And , a good hitter on a weaker team like Arizona may get pitched around more than a good hitter on a better team like Texas. Goldschmidt is a very good hitter. I wanted to go see him play when Arizona was at Fenway , but my lousy Edsel was in the shop again.

Stabbed by Foulke

Thanks for not giving me a deserved slap for my p-taking Edsel comment....it may have been a bit over the top.  :-)

I (51) grew up believing "baseball card stats" were the foundation of performance, but have long since been convinced that while some retain significant value - especially re individual performance - many have been superceded by more advanced analysis.  Simple examples: W-L record, RBI, Runs, BA, SB, sacrifices.

BABIP is a great example....an imperfect identifier of "luck", but a pretty good start....for both pitchers and batters.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They exist. Many close to them exist. The theory is sound.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Here is stats from 2009. Many players approached a 150 point differential between the two.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/2338
    I have used this handle since 2005.

Sections
Shortcuts