Moonslav's 2013, 2014 and 2015 plan for 1st Base: Napoli for 33 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Moonslav's 2013, 2014 and 2015 plan for 1st Base: Napoli for 33 million

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

VMart is better than Napoli anyday. 

[/QUOTE]

VMARTS career OPS is .840.  Naps is .863.  Naps is better suited for Fenway.  IF we sign Naps to a 4 year deal, he will be 34 upon its completion.  VMART will be 34 next month.  I would love to get either, but Naps is available for 0 prospects , similar money per year as VMART, is better suited for Fenway, and is much younger.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mark it down, as I'll be repeating it more times than Tim Wakefield and 2 million for 2012.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I clearly stated that Napoli was not my first choice, and unlike softy's first 2 choices (Napoli @ $20M/2 or trading farm scraps for VMart), mine are realistic.

I suggested we try and trade Aceves and a prospect at 6 or below on the soxprospects list (likely Brentz, Owens or Cecchini) for Mike Morse.

My second choice was trading "farm scraps" for Kendry Morales.

Signing Loney for $1.5M/1 (softy's most realistic to happen option) is not even on my list.

[/QUOTE]

They are not going to trade their #3 hitter, who is capable of .310, 30HR for a failed closer and a non-top tier prospect.  They babied Stausberg last year to win it all this year and next.  Morse would cost two top 5 prospects.

Morales is below average offensively for a 1B.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

I do not think Napoli compares that well with MLB 1Bmen. [/QUOTE]

Did you read the link to the Herald article that I provided.  His offensive stats are considerably better than Tex's and Morneu's.  That's before coming to Fenway.  That's w/ the wear and tear of catching.

3 yrs / 33 is a pipe dream.  4 yrs / 50, and he's worht every penny.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mark it down, as I'll be repeating it more times than Tim Wakefield and 2 million for 2012.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I clearly stated that Napoli was not my first choice, and unlike softy's first 2 choices (Napoli @ $20M/2 or trading farm scraps for VMart), mine are realistic.

I suggested we try and trade Aceves and a prospect at 6 or below on the soxprospects list (likely Brentz, Owens or Cecchini) for Mike Morse.

My second choice was trading "farm scraps" for Kendry Morales.

Signing Loney for $1.5M/1 (softy's most realistic to happen option) is not even on my list.

[/QUOTE]

They are not going to trade their #3 hitter, who is capable of .310, 30HR for a failed closer and a non-top tier prospect.  They babied Stausberg last year to win it all this year and next.  Morse would cost two top 5 prospects.

Morales is below average offensively for a 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Morse has 1 year of team control. I think his cost would be somewhere between what you and I have suggested.

Morales has an OPS over .850 since 2009. Here's the top OPS 1Bmen since 2009:

(1Bmen with 1,000 + PAs since 2009)

1 Miggy 1.003

2 Votto  .994

3 Pujols .969

4 Fielder .952

5 AGon   .906

6 Koner  .896

7 Berkm .885

8 Youk   .877

9 Napoli .867

10 Teix  .863

11 Morse .857

12 Morales .857

13 Howard .856

14 Butler    .854

16 Morneau .835

20 Reynolds .808

22 LaRoche  .805

23 I davis     .797

27 C Pena     .781

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a strange feeling the Yanks are going to sign Josh Hamilton, even though all the baseball pundits say no....If he  signs with Boston I will eat my shirt....Literally, that is.....

[/QUOTE]

I thought the Yankees were trying to get their payroll below $189 million by 2014?

Cano is a free agent after 2013 so the Yankees must sign him.  

Unless the Yankees have many players off the books after 2013, I do not see Hamilton going to the Yankees.  But then again, anything can happen in free agency.  Just ask Roger Clemens when he signed with the Blue Jays in 1997. *still shaking my head*  LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Moon, I'm repeating myself from the other thread but I have to do this.

Fenway Park

Napoli 73 PA's 306/397/710

Morales 46 PA's 186/217/256

Yankee Stadium 3

Napoli 32 PA's 375/531/625

Morales  48 PA's 205/271/364

Tropicana

Napoli 62 PA's 250/371/519

Morales 33 PA's 100/182/200

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tiny sample sizes.

Morales has numbers that are PROBABLY undervaluing him since he has played so many games in LAA, OAK & SEA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Tiny sample sizes.

Morales has numbers that are PROBABLY undervaluing him since he has played so many games in LAA, OAK & SEA.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli is virtually a sure thing to hit well for the Red Sox.  Morales is not.  He's a good hitter but he may not be a good fit.  We've had several guys in recent years who didn't adapt well to Boston at all.  That factor has to be considered now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Tiny sample sizes.

[/QUOTE]

LAA .848, TX .845, Oak .950, Safeco .904.  I wouldn't dismiss him, but I like the Napoli fit better.  Morales might be more DH now.  Still SSS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Just so we're clear, you wanted VMart at $50M/4, but a similar player like Napoli

Nothing similar at all.

[/QUOTE]

Nice comeback, but I will counter with they are very similar.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

No, they are not similar at all. VMart is a gifted contact switch hitter, Napoli is not.

[/QUOTE]

As posted earlier-

Why?  Offensive stats are similar.  Vmart has a better average, but less power, and similar OBP.  Napoli throws out a few more runners.  VMart has a career WAR of 29.1 v Napoli's 20.0, but in almost twice as many ABs.

VMart is a nice contact hitter, a slap hitter by any other name.  But the 12 HRs he hit in 2011 would have ranked him 8th on the team last year.

I thought you said this team needs a RH power hitter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

No, they are not similar at all. VMart is a gifted contact switch hitter, Napoli is not.

[/QUOTE]

No kidding plus we play half our games outside of Fenway. I'd rather have VMart anyday of Napoli.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tiny sample sizes.

[/QUOTE]

LAA .848, TX .845, Oak .950, Safeco .904.  I wouldn't dismiss him, but I like the Napoli fit better.  Morales might be more DH now.  Still SSS.

[/QUOTE]

Surprising to me, but these are parks we traditionally struggle mightily.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding plus we play half our games outside of Fenway. I'd rather have VMart anyday of Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

They both are better DHs than catchers, but their offense as catchers is so much better than the average MLB catcher, that many GMs overlook their defensive and pitcher handling shortcomings to seek an offensive plus at a weak offensive position.

To me, there isn't much difference between them, except that VMart has a more balanced L/R split portfolio. They both have had serious issues with CERA comparissons vs their teammate catchers over the years. Both are not known for great defense behind the plate. Both are great hitting catchers, but near average hitting 1Bmen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2010-2012 Numbers:

VMart (1033 PAs) .317  32  140  (73 2B+3B)  .366/.481/.847

Napoli (1174 PAs) .261  80  185  (61 2B+3B)  .355/.520/.875

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a strange feeling the Yanks are going to sign Josh Hamilton, even though all the baseball pundits say no....If he  signs with Boston I will eat my shirt....Literally, that is.....

[/QUOTE]

Be careful with that!  I remember a commercial after the '04 season containing a certain celebrity who'd said that if the Sox could win the World Series he'd give up his _____ - and a set of hedge trimmers.  :-))

[/QUOTE]

Ah he Denis Leary spot.

Actually, didn't they run the commercial with all these fans saying what they would give up, and then a follow up after the series with the collections taking place? 

[/QUOTE]

YES!! That was a classic commercial! I laughed my azz off when people came to collect the first born son...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hamilton is a stud but if youre going to spend that type of money, get an ace like grienke....the difference between the two is if zach is a bust because he is a pitcher (and his medical history) he will always have suitors who would be willing to trade for him and take a chance...if hamilton sux, then he is our Arod..

[/QUOTE]

Like your thinking... Agree.... Hamilton after huge contract? Lets start bringing these big contracts down.Do you think guys like Hamilton would rather wash cars for a living? If every team offered 10 mil max do you think these not worth it so called stars would sign or leave the game.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a strange feeling that Boston is going to sign Hamilton.

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox sign Napoli, then I would like to see the Sox trade for Justin Upton (is younger then Hamilton and a safer risk). Upton and Ellsbury combine can get us close to 200 runs with Napoli and Papi doing the power hitting. I agree use the extra cash to sign an ace pitcher and then sign 1 year contract for Berkman extra depth at 1st+ pinch hitting and veteran short stop that is willing to take a PT role with Iggy.

Ells Ped Upton Napoli Papi Middlebrooks Gomes Ross and Iggy. Ped Ross Iggy and Ells in CF is good defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I don't mind giving 3 years and an option to both Napoli and Hamilton for big money. If you get the production out of them, you have very solid players at 1B and OF. If they don't pan out, then you're only stuck with them for those 3 years. The big prospects are not looking to be ready for another couple of years, and they're really the best FAs available to make that period in between bearable. The only way you're going to get the guys you need via trade is to sacrifice those future starters. I'd rather not lose the future Pedroias and lesters just on the offchance they may be the future Lars Andersons and Bowdens.

That being said, Napoli is the more important get here. The Sox have been missing a legit right handed power bat since Manny left. Adding Napoli into the mix leaves them with

Jacoby CF

Pedroia 2B

Papi DH

Napoli 1B

Hamilton (or other LH OF Bat) RF

Middlebrooks 3B

Salty/Lavarnway C

Gomes LF

Ciriaco/Iggy SS

That's a complete lineup that I wouldn't see any need to tinker too much with. All moves after that go to the Rotation. Eventually Bradley, Boegarts and maybe Brentz come up to take the SS and Gomes' OF spot. If they decide that Jacoby is going to go, then Brentz starts in the outfield, if not, Brentz may take the #4 OF spot.

They want to spend money, and the fans have already started griping that they haven't started spending. I think they should at least spend on the guys that will help the club. My opinion is that they shouldn't stop there. Go get Napoli, go get a bigger OF bat, and then put some serious cash into the rotation. Get a guy who can take that top spot away from Lester, and I can deal with Lackey as the #4 guy. Even better, bring someone wlse in on big money short years, and make Lackey the #5 guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I also think we may see Bogaerts or Cecchini at 1B before too long, so getting Morales or Morse for one year could indeed be a "bridge".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't mind giving 3 years and an option to both Napoli and Hamilton for big money. If you get the production out of them, you have very solid players at 1B and OF. If they don't pan out, then you're only stuck with them for those 3 years. The big prospects are not looking to be ready for another couple of years, and they're really the best FAs available to make that period in between bearable. The only way you're going to get the guys you need via trade is to sacrifice those future starters. I'd rather not lose the future Pedroias and lesters just on the offchance they may be the future Lars Andersons and Bowdens.

That being said, Napoli is the more important get here. The Sox have been missing a legit right handed power bat since Manny left. Adding Napoli into the mix leaves them with

Jacoby CF

Pedroia 2B

Papi DH

Napoli 1B

Hamilton (or other LH OF Bat) RF

Middlebrooks 3B

Salty/Lavarnway C

Gomes RF

Ciriaco/Iggy

That's a complete lineup that I wouldn't see any need to tinker too much with. All moves after that go to the Rotation. Eventually Bradley, Boegarts and maybe Brentz come up to take the SS and Gomes' OF spot. If they decide that Jacoby is going to go, then Brentz starts in the outfield, if not, Brentz may take the #4 OF spot.

They want to spend money, and the fans have already started griping that they haven't started spending. I think they should at least spend on the guys that will help the club. My opinion is that they shouldn't stop there. Go get Napoli, go get a bigger OF bat, and then put some serious cash into the rotation. Get a guy who can take that top spot away from Lester, and I can deal with Lackey as the #4 guy. Even better, bring someone wlse in on big money short years, and make Lackey the #5 guy.

[/QUOTE]

Things could be a bit crowded in RF....and what about David Ross?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

2010-2012 Numbers:

[/QUOTE]

.875 isnt a near average hitting first baseman.  Its better than Morneau, Tex, on par w/ AGON.  Top 5.

Morales may be a sleeper too, but why cant Napoli and MOrales both be sleepers?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Things could be a bit crowded in RF....and what about David Ross?

[/QUOTE]
     How would that make RF crowded? Right now I have to assume that Gomes will be the Left Fielder. Much less room for him to cover and screw up! As for the lineup I put up there, It wasn't the whole depth chart. I assume either Lavarnway or Salty will wind up being involved in a trade for pitching help. I put Iggy and Ciriaco on there, because it's obviously still very up in the air as to which one will start. The other likely will be the go to utility guy or included in a trade for pitching.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2010-2012 Numbers:

[/QUOTE]

.875 isnt a near average hitting first baseman.  Its better than Morneau, Tex, on par w/ AGON.  Top 5.

Morales may be a sleeper too, but why cant Napoli and MOrales both be sleepers?

[/QUOTE]

Morales will be a lot cheaper, and the money "saved" by not signing Naps can be used at SP & RF.

OK, maybe .875 is not "near average", but it is closer to average (#15) than #1 to #4:

(1Bmen with 1,000 + PAs since 2009)

1 Miggy 1.003

2 Votto  .994

3 Pujols .969

4 Fielder .952

5 AGon   .906

6 Koner  .896

7 Berkm .885

8 Youk   .877

9 Napoli .867

10 Teix  .863

11 Morse .857