More hard evidence for the case against Francona

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: More hard evidence for the case against Francona

In Response to Re: More hard evidence for the case against Francona:
    In Response to Re: More hard evidence for the case against Francona : I'm fine. But if you are going to judge what Tito does, you have to do that in context of what others do.  That doesn't always determine your strategy, but it gives you a guideline.  If you see managers do something 50% of the time, and Tito does it 45% or 55% of the time, I don't pay much attention to it.  If he does it 100% or 0% of the time, then maybe you have to wonder. At the end of the day, if no one does it, then no one does it.  Saying that no one does it, therefore Tito is wrong FOR NOT DOING IT, is insane.  There is a reason why Longoria gets an IBB less than 1% of his PAs. Unless you're willing to say that all 30 managers are wrong, then you have no point.  And even if all 30 are wrong, which they aren't, it still makes Tito equal to them. At the end of the day, either all 30 managers, making about $100M between them, are right, or AM is right. My money is on the 30 managers.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Well yeah.  He has no point.  The fact that a grown man sits at his computer and faults a manager for not intentionally walking a man who is batting 243 EVERY TIME HE GETS TO THE PLATE is amazing.  

It is even more amazing that I am positive that no manager in the history of MLB has ever done such a thing.

But then again it's Andrewmitch.  We once had an argument in which he said that Scutaro could play center as well as JD Drew.  Ridiculous hyperbole is his forte.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: More hard evidence for the case against Francona : You can not look at anything but this year since what is in the past is in the past and has no bearing on today.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

I respectfully disagree Jim.  We often hear about hitters either playing or not playing because of their career numbers against the opposing starter.

Longoria's history says he loves to hit in Fenway Park.  And even though he's only hitting in the 240's this year, he continues to mash at Fenway, with 3 HR and 8 RBI in 5 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: More hard evidence for the case against Francona : Really?  So any manager who issues an IBB is being stupid? Again, you are going by averages and I am going by potential.  No one on The Rays team has close to the potential that Longoria does at hurting you.  Period. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

No, any manager who walks a player EVERY TIME UP is being stupid, especially if he thinks the next guy cannot beat you.  IBB is a dangerous thing, and I'm sure by now you have noticed that it can backfire, and when it does it is usually ecven worse than facing the origninal hitter.  (Know why its worse?  Because the manager put an extra guy on base...)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: More hard evidence for the case against Francona : Really?  So any manager who issues an IBB is being stupid? Again, you are going by averages and I am going by potential.  No one on The Rays team has close to the potential that Longoria does at hurting you.  Period. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

But that is the dumbest part of your plan.

The problem is, you live in a world where HRS and RBI rule baseball.  That is all fine and dadndy in fan wordl, but to say that MLB ,anmagers need to come to your world and manage like you would is a little overboard.

Think about it.  In a normal year, Evan Longoria hits 600 times, he only homers 30-35 of them, and he only even  he only gets a hit about 165 times.   So rather than risk the owrst and hit the more likely outcome that it will be one of the 435 times out of 600 he makes an out, you put him on base.

Zobrist is not as scary of a hitter as Longoria, but Zobrist wth men on base evey time up actually has much more potential to do damage.  And even worse, Zobrist has excellent plate discipline himself, meaning you are very likely to give the Rays men on first and second without them having to earn a thing, and you'll be doing it more often than you like....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You can not allow their best hitter to beat you.  Especially when the talent pool drops off sharply as it does for the Rays.  You have to make someone else on that team beat you.  Especially at Fenway where Longo has a proven track record.  I don't think I've ever seen a game in Fenway where Longo didn't drive in a run..........

Sections
Shortcuts