More realistic 2013 roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

More realistic 2013 roster

Manager - Farrell, Leyland, scioscia, Francona?

CF - Ells, until Bradley is ready or not

RF - Ross and Eric Gordon would be a nice split against L and RH pitching

LF - Hamilton, if there is any chance of signing him, otherwise Upton

5th OF - Nava or Linares, maybe Bradley later in the year

DH - David, if he can finally be happy, otherwise give Gomez the job to win or lose

C - Lav and Salty, fight it our for an entire season, or try to pry away Y. Molina

2B - Pede and Ciriaco

3B - Middy and Eric Chavez, who gets hurt a lot but is a great backup

SS - Ciriaco and Iggy until we learn more about where Bogy lands

1B - LaRoche, Gordon, again good match ups against LH and RH pitching

SP's 

Felix over Lee, we need a leader and Felix is younger

Clay

Jon

Mccarthy "I still like him" and hope he has a full recovery

Lackey - until hes booted out of town like Beckett

Doub, until our kids are ready

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: More realistic 2013 roster

Who is Eric Gordon?  The former University of Indiana point guard?

If you are referring to Alex gordon oif the KC Royals, he really isn't the outfielder they are looking to move to accomodate Wil Myers.  Unfortunately, Jeff Francoeur is that outfielder.

I think the Sox are players for Hamilton, simply because it is hard to see who else even could be.  I am not wild about the idea of signing him, but really, I would say his 3 most likely landing spots in order are Texas, Boston and Baltimore... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

CF- Ells. Unless we can aquire a TOP pitcher with him included in the deal.

LF- Offer Torii Hunter a reasonable 2yr deal. Still hitting .290 and great leader. Would be perect for LF in fenway IMO.

RF- Re-sign Ross. See what Brentz does in AFL and ST. We also have sweeney still for a possible 4th OF along with Nava/Linares.

1b- Wide open. Laroche would be a good fit. maybe Sands if he shows something. We could also sign Youk for a year or 2 if BV isnt here.

2b- Pedey/Ciriaco

SS- Iggy/Ciriaco until Bogaerts or Marrero are ready

3b- Middlebrooks/Ciriaco

C- Salty/ get a RHH BU catcher. Ianetta? Id like Lav to get as much time behind the plate as possible. He wont be able to do that in Boston.

DH- re-sign papi

SP- Buchholz

SP- Lester

SP- Lackey

SP- Let Tazawa, Morales, Mortensen fight it out in ST

Now I might ask Philly if they would eat about 5mm a year on Lee's contract and give them Doubront. They get another LHP, cost controlled for a few more year and gain flexability in payroll. Might have to toss in another prospect, but not a top one. If not, then Doubie will be in the rotation.

BP- Bailey, Hill, Miller, Atchison, Carpenter. whoever doesnt get the 5th spot in the rotation and invite a bunch of guys to st including some of our own on the farm.

I think Hamilton is going to be too many years and $$ and Upton is going to cost way too much in prospects for what he will give you. Hes been up and down his whole career and there have been talks about attitude issues. If we give up prospects, it should be for pitching, not a RF'er.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who is Eric Gordon?  The former University of Indiana point guard?

If you are referring to Alex gordon oif the KC Royals, he really isn't the outfielder they are looking to move to accomodate Wil Myers.  Unfortunately, Jeff Francoeur is that outfielder.

I think the Sox are players for Hamilton, simply because it is hard to see who else even could be.  I am not wild about the idea of signing him, but really, I would say his 3 most likely landing spots in order are Texas, Boston and Baltimore... 

[/QUOTE]

Alex sorry, and you could be right but anything is possible at the right price.  Like any good "but not great" ballplayer Gordon is 28 and has his issues against LHP.  My bet is the Sox make a huge play for Hamilton and his baggage but Texas keeps him.  Boston may not be the best place for a guy to stay sober, not that you don't face that challenge everywhere. 

At least in Texas he has more support!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LF- Offer Torii Hunter a reasonable 2yr deal. Still hitting .290 and great leader. Would be perect for LF in fenway IMO.

RF- Re-sign Ross. See what Brentz does in AFL and ST. We also have sweeney still for a possible 4th OF along with Nava/Linares.

1b- Wide open. Laroche would be a good fit. maybe Sands if he shows something. We could also sign Youk for a year or 2 if BV isnt here.

2b- Pedey/Ciriaco

3b- Middlebrooks/Ciriaco

C- Salty/ get a RHH BU catcher. Ianetta? Id like Lav to get as much time behind the plate as possible. He wont be able to do that in Boston.

DH- re-sign papi

SP- Buchholz

SP- Lester

SP- Lackey

Now I might ask Philly if they would eat about 5mm a year on Lee's contract and give them Doubront. They get another LHP, cost controlled for a few more year and gain flexability in payroll. Might have to toss in another prospect, but not a top one. If not, then Doubie will be in the rotation.

BP- Bailey, Hill, Miller, Atchison, Carpenter. whoever doesnt get the 5th spot in the rotation and invite a bunch of guys to st including some of our own on the farm.

I think Hamilton is going to be too many years and $$ and Upton is going to cost way too much in prospects for what he will give you. Hes been up and down his whole career and there have been talks about attitude issues. If we give up prospects, it should be for pitching, not a RF'er.

[/QUOTE]

I like the Tori Hunter and Lee idea southpaw.  I also don't feel the Sox will be making any big plays at Hamiltons price, or Upton for our prospects but he is an upgrade if we keep Ells.  The bullpen is always a crap shoot in Boston but I feel we have some good pieces.  As far as Salty goes I think Lav not only deserves to share games equally next season with Salty for the experience but will also be a much better all round player at some point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

The Hunter move would almost lock David up for a couple more years as well in Boston.  They are long time friends.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Hunter move would almost lock David up for a couple more years as well in Boston.  They are long time friends.

[/QUOTE]
    I think David will be back regardless, but you are correct, Hunter would assure it.  The only two things I can be fairly certain of is that Ortiz will be back and Valentine will not.  After that, I have absolutely no idea how this offseason will play out, but they will field a competitive team next year, one way or another. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I think David will be back regardless, but you are correct, Hunter would assure it.  The only two things I can be fairly certain of is that Ortiz will be back and Valentine will not.  After that, I have absolutely no idea how this offseason will play out, but they will field a competitive team next year, one way or another. 

[/QUOTE]

David and Hunter would be a nice combination to have in the clubhouse and a couple vets the kids could look up to.  I agree on your other statement jasko, for the first time in years I have no idea what this team does from here at various positions or as far as spending.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Alex sorry, and you could be right but anything is possible at the right price.

Anything that starts with 'at the right price', is a no-go.  That is the last philosophy we need to go back to.  We need to go after players that are a little less popular.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2b- Pedey/Ciriaco

3b- Middlebrooks/Ciriaco

DH- re-sign papi

SP- Buchholz

SP- Lester

SP- Lackey

[/QUOTE]

I like the Tori Hunter and Lee idea southpaw.  I also don't feel the Sox will be making any big plays at Hamiltons price, or Upton for our prospects but he is an upgrade if we keep Ells.  The bullpen is always a crap shoot in Boston but I feel we have some good pieces.  As far as Salty goes I think Lav not only deserves to share games equally next season with Salty for the experience but will also be a much better all round player at some point.

[/QUOTE]

Ive been struggling with the Salty/Lav thing craze. I said on a couple occasions that i want them to platoon and we could be seeing 50HR between the 2. Then, I think that I want Lav to get as much time behind the plate as possible to improve. Honestly, Id be happy either way.

I think both the Lee and Hunter suggestions are very attainable...Didnt think of the papi factor. But I think papi will be here for a couple more years regardless...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Ive been struggling with the Salty/Lav thing craze. I said on a couple occasions that i want them to platoon and we could be seeing 50HR between the 2. Then, I think that I want Lav to get as much time behind the plate as possible to improve. Honestly, Id be happy either way.

I think both the Lee and Hunter suggestions are very attainable...Didnt think of the papi factor. But I think papi will be here for a couple more years regardless...

[/QUOTE]

I'm just not liking the idea of signing Salty long term unless its a real bargain.  It would be nice to see a Y. Molina or McCann type behind the plate unless we can improve our OBP significantly in other areas. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

For Hamilton's sake, I hope he stays away from Boston.  I would trade Middlebrooks to Detroit for Cabrera - that would give the Tigers enough payroll flexibility to go after Hamilton.  They would improve offensively and defensively.   We would have to get a Chavez or Rolen to fill in for a year or two until Bogaerts is ready at third.

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Cabrera
    Ortiz
    Ross
    Salty / Lavarnway
    Chavez / Rolen / Ciriaco
    Kalish
    Iglesias

It's not as balanced a lineup as I'd like but should be enough to be near the top of the league in runs.

It would be great if Valentine would stop starting Nava, Aviles, Loney, Cook, Matsuzaka and anybody else with no shot of being with the club next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For Hamilton's sake, I hope he stays away from Boston.  I would trade Middlebrooks to Detroit for Cabrera - that would give the Tigers enough payroll flexibility to go after Hamilton.  They would improve offensively and defensively.   We would have to get a Chavez or Rolen to fill in for a year or two until Bogaerts is ready at third.

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Cabrera
    Ortiz
    Ross
    Salty / Lavarnway
    Chavez / Rolen / Ciriaco
    Kalish
    Iglesias

It's not as balanced a lineup as I'd like but should be enough to be near the top of the league in runs.

It would be great if Valentine would stop starting Nava, Aviles, Loney, Cook, Matsuzaka and anybody else with no shot of being with the club next year.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Sox know at this point where Bogy will play defensively but I do hope he continues to improve.  Salty seems to hit better when he gets benched, or knows there is competition which is why I want he and Lav to settle things with equal playing time next season before making a mistake on Salty long term.

Pitching, health and OBP is what we need to get over the hump.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Manager - Farrell, Scioscia, Valentine

CF - Ryan Kalish, Jacoby Ellsbury

RF - Ross, Hunter

LF - Hunter, Upton, Ross

5th OF - Nava, Scotty Pods.

DH - Ortiz

C - Lavarnway and Salty

2B - Pedroia

3B - Middlebrooks, Aviles

SS - Ciriaco, Evlis Andrus, Iggy

1B - Swisher, Youk, Loney, LaRoche

SP's 

Clay

Lester

Mccarthy/Haren

Lackey

Doubront/De La Rosa

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Hunter would presumably be RF, not LF, since he prefers robbing people of HRs.  He would also be a smarter signing than Ross at Willingham numbers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Hunter would presumably be RF, not LF, since he prefers robbing people of HRs.  He would also be a smarter signing than Ross at Willingham numbers.

[/QUOTE]

He's already 37, with a 118/33 K/W.  Unless he signs real cheap for one year, I'd say no.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]

SP's 

[/QUOTE]

Felix Hernandez pitches for the Seattle Mariners and remains under contract through the 2014 season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

SP's 

[/QUOTE]

Felix Hernandez pitches for the Seattle Mariners and remains under contract through the 2014 season.

[/QUOTE]

At some point you would think the Mariners would want to get better overall as a team "or not" and they just won't part with Felix.  My feeling is with the young arms they have pitching won't be a problem if they finally decide to trade Felix for some real offensive help.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

At some point you would think the Mariners would want to get better overall as a team "or not" and they just won't part with Felix.  My feeling is with the young arms they have pitching won't be a problem if they finally decide to trade Felix for some real offensive help.

What "real offensive help" can the Red Sox provide to a Mariner team that has outscored the Red Sox by 50 runs on the road this season?

Your proposed roster adds Felix Hernandez without subtracting players who could be offered to Seattle in a trade.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's already 37, with a 118/33 K/W.  Unless he signs real cheap for one year, I'd say no.

[/QUOTE]

I believe the point is to sign him cheaply for one year...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

SP's 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wishful thinking.

I am calling for a moratorium on all Felix Hernandez posts, especially those that rationalize why
    Seattle would be better trading him.  (This includes you, Cafardo!)

Sox fand spentover 2 years crying for Adrian Gonzalez, and how they deserved him and why the Padres absolutely should move him for some sort of long term answer.  Finally, we had to send a GM to the Padres so he could capitualte and deal AGon to Boston, and less than 2 years later, half the fanbase wanted AGon out of town.

So how does RSN respond? They forget how that turned out, move on to a new target, and swear to everyone within earshot that this time, it will be different.

Leave Hernandez and his mega-mega-mega contract in Seattle...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

To those advocating signing Josh Hamilton - all credibility lost.  You should self-ban yourselves for a period of ten (10) days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...or self deport!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe the point is to sign him cheaply for one year...

[/QUOTE]

yes a 1yr deal with a 2nd option just in case we have some unforseen issues. Im looking at around 8mm per. Hes batting .309 right now with a respectable .360 OBP...Hes the perfect guy for this clubhouse along with papi and Pedey.

I was thinking an OF of Hunter, Ells, and Ross for 2013...One is probably leaving after 2013 and the other 2 on short term deals to allow Prospects to filter up over the next couple years and provide leadership for the young kids coming up and already here. Low $$, low years with a lot of upside.

Sections
Shortcuts