Morgan Honored, Rose in Attendance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Morgan Honored, Rose in Attendance

Along with the Big Red Machine Lineup, although I didn't recognize all of them; Bench sure knows how to work a tablet though.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=30416867&topic_id=8877984

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Morgan Honored, Rose in Attendance

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Along with the Big Red Machine Lineup, although I didn't recognize all of them; Bench sure knows how to work a tablet though.

That was interesting and somewhat awkward because of what was not said in the speech.  I'm paraphrasing: "Johnny Bench was in the Hall of Fame; I was in the Hall of Fame...Johnny Bench has a statue; I have a statue..."  Meanwhile, Pete Rose is sitting there.  Talk about an elephant in the room or a Pete Rose in the stadium.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

That was interesting and somewhat awkward because of what was not said in the speech.  I'm paraphrasing: "Johnny Bench was in the Hall of Fame; I was in the Hall of Fame...Johnny Bench has a statute; I have a statute..."  Meanwhile, Pete Rose is sitting there.  Talk about an elephant in the room or a Pete Rose in the stadium.  

[/QUOTE]

I thought of that too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Exam, U have no comment about this?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nice to see, Rose dressed up for the occasionepa03856227 Members of the 1975-1976 Cincinnati Reds World Series Championship team (L-R) Ken Griffey Sr., Joe Foster, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Pete Rose and Cesar Geronimo pose following a press conference prior to the MLN baseball game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 07 September 2013.  EPA/Mark Lyons

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Exam, U have no comment about this?

Yeah, watched it on Fox Sports Cin. Very good. I was a baby when the BRM was stalking about, but still a feeling of pride and tradition. That was a great team, probably should have won a lot more than two. Probably would have if Dick Wagner hadnt busted up the team in 77 because they were "too expensive". What a steaming pile.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to S5's comment:

The rumor I heard is that they had to grease up both sides of Morgan's head and SHOVE it through the door to get him inside.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I hear a lot of rumors about Morgan being disliked, but never anything concrete. There are actual web sites dedicated to disliking him I think. Whats the story? I thought he did relatively ok on ESPN, at least much better than McCarver does, and, while a little bristly at times, was not as self absorbed. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I was 11 for the 1975 World Series, although I do remember them losing to the Oakland A's a couple of years earlier. So I always hated the Reds with Pete Rose No. 1 on the list. I've always felt that Rose was the most overrated player of all time. Not saying he wasn't a great player -- just an overrated great player if that makes any sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I was 11 for the 1975 World Series, although I do remember them losing to the Oakland A's a couple of years earlier. So I always hated the Reds with Pete Rose No. 1 on the list. I've always felt that Rose was the most overrated player of all time. Not saying he wasn't a great player -- just an overrated great player if that makes any sense.

But Roy, how can you be over rated when you have more hits than anyone else in baseball history? Pete was the table setter for that team. His sheer will to win carried him way beynd what his natural talent should have allowed him to be. That competitiveness is part of what ate him up when his playing days were over, and contributed to his downfall. So as far as sheer talent goes, true, he may have been over rated, but as a whole he was one of a kind because of his will to win.  As a kid I read his book "Pete Rose's Winning Baseball" and found it very helpful. His knowlegde of the game was very down to earth and practical.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

When I was a kid, I saw Rose in his 2nd yr. When He walked, he RAN to 1st. I never saw that before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

But Roy, how can you be over rated when you have more hits than anyone else in baseball history? Pete was the table setter for that team. His sheer will to win carried him way beynd what his natural talent should have allowed him to be. That competitiveness is part of what ate him up when his playing days were over, and contributed to his downfall. So as far as sheer talent goes, true, he may have been over rated, but as a whole he was one of a kind because of his will to win.  As a kid I read his book "Pete Rose's Winning Baseball" and found it very helpful. His knowlegde of the game was very down to earth and practical.[/QUOTE]

Like I said -- he was a great player. But to me, that entire "Charlie Hustle" persona was built around the fact he slid head first, which somehow made him supposed to be more competitve than other players. I'm not saying he wasn't competitive, but there were many other players just as competitive who didn't cultivate it like he did.

That he ran to first base when he drew a walk. Big deal. Style over substance. Old Charlie Hustle stole 194 bases but was caught stealing 149 times. He should have stayed put.

And I personally think he had a tremendous amount of talent. A guy doesn't bat .300 and amass all those hits simply because of his sheer will to win. And I'm sure he had a lot of knowledge of the game.

He came across as a guy who didn't know boundries, which got him into trouble with the gambling. But the Ray Fosse situation was another example. You can play hard, play to win, hustle and still not run over a catcher in a freakin' All-Star game. Forget about the fact that Fosse could get hurt. He could have gotten hurt, which could have hurt his team. But being "Charlie Hustle" was more important.

I know a lot of you will disagree with me and I know I'm not explaining my feelings. When I say he was overrated, I'm not saying he wasn't a great player. He was. But there always seemed something more attributed to him because of the Charlie Hustle persona that made him in the public's eye greater than he really was.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But Roy, how can you be over rated when you have more hits than anyone else in baseball history? Pete was the table setter for that team. His sheer will to win carried him way beynd what his natural talent should have allowed him to be. That competitiveness is part of what ate him up when his playing days were over, and contributed to his downfall. So as far as sheer talent goes, true, he may have been over rated, but as a whole he was one of a kind because of his will to win.  As a kid I read his book "Pete Rose's Winning Baseball" and found it very helpful. His knowlegde of the game was very down to earth and practical.[/QUOTE]

Like I said -- he was a great player. But to me, that entire "Charlie Hustle" persona was built around the fact he slid head first, which somehow made him supposed to be more competitve than other players. I'm not saying he wasn't competitive, but there were many other players just as competitive who didn't cultivate it like he did.

That he ran to first base when he drew a walk. Big deal. Style over substance. Old Charlie Hustle stole 194 bases but was caught stealing 149 times. He should have stayed put.

And I personally think he had a tremendous amount of talent. A guy doesn't bat .300 and amass all those hits simply because of his sheer will to win. And I'm sure he had a lot of knowledge of the game.

He came across as a guy who didn't know boundries, which got him into trouble with the gambling. But the Ray Fosse situation was another example. You can play hard, play to win, hustle and still not run over a catcher in a freakin' All-Star game. Forget about the fact that Fosse could get hurt. He could have gotten hurt, which could have hurt his team. But being "Charlie Hustle" was more important.

I know a lot of you will disagree with me and I know I'm not explaining my feelings. When I say he was overrated, I'm not saying he wasn't a great player. He was. But there always seemed something more attributed to him because of the Charlie Hustle persona that made him in the public's eye greater than he really was.

[/QUOTE]

Good points, I don't totally disagree. A lot of it is perspective. If he played for you, you loved him, if he played for the other team you hated him. The Reds have another second baseman like that now!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i dont like Morgan.

that is all........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i dont like Morgan.

that is all........

Why?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

he's a hater.  so makes me a hater.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

i dont like Morgan.

that is all........

Why?

[/QUOTE]

I dont get it either NH. All these people say they hate him, and Im still trying to figure out why myself. I watched him on espn for years, and other than him getting a little bristly/argumentative occasionally, I didnt notice much. He was nowhere near as bad as McCarver is as far as being self absorbed. There may be a legitimate reason, all Im saying is Ive never heard anything but vague insinutations and opinions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

i dont like Morgan.

that is all........

Why?

I dont get it either NH. All these people say they hate him, and Im still trying to figure out why myself. I watched him on espn for years, and other than him getting a little bristly/argumentative occasionally, I didnt notice much. He was nowhere near as bad as McCarver is as far as being self absorbed. There may be a legitimate reason, all Im saying is Ive never heard anything but vague insinutations and opinions.

I never like him either, exam. I think he was as bad, if not worse, than McCarver. All he did was talk about when he played, 40 years ago. He's a blow hard. I know ESPN had a lot of complaints about him, which is why he was eventually replaced and moved to radio, only

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Morgan never bothered me. Neither did McCarver for that matter. Maybe if I listened to them 162 times, I'd feel different.

To be honest, for the most part, national announcers don't bother me one way or another. Listen to any of them long enough, and they could get on your nerves. Let's face it, we've all watched so many baseball games and follow the games that it's hard for them to tell us much of anything new.

Personally, I don't mind the anecdotes from the past because it's not like they're going to tell me that much new info.

I follow the game, I understand the game, so most of the so-called analysis is stuff I know. So to me, let them tell some story from the past of something I haven't heard before. That's actually more interesting than them telling me that pitcher is using too many fastballs or can't locate or some other thing that I can see for myself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

royf19, I too am not a Rose fan, but because of the gambling, which was really practically the only important rule in MLB because of the 1919 Black Sox scandal.  As you say, he had and has an ego which knew no boundaries.

On the plus side I was in Carlisle, PA for 1979-81 and got a lot of Phillies games on the local network.   They had a lot of talent on that team, but I thought Rose was a key force and good clubhouse leader.  That's why he later got to manage. 

I remember listening to Houston Astros games (I was assigned at Fort Sill, OK) when Joe Morgan was their secondbaseman and a fan favorite, but I was astounded when he went to the Reds and batted third for the Big Red Machine. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

i dont like Morgan.

that is all........

Why?

Maybe it was that bloop hit in Game 7 of the 75 WS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

i dont like Morgan.

that is all........

Why?

Maybe it was that bloop hit in Game 7 of the 75 WS.

[/QUOTE]

Could be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

[QUOTE]

i dont like Morgan.

that is all........

Why?

I never like him either, exam. I think he was as bad, if not worse, than McCarver. All he did was talk about when he played, 40 years ago. He's a blow hard. I know ESPN had a lot of complaints about him, which is why he was eventually replaced and moved to radio, only

[/QUOTE]

Could be. I guess I just never paid enough attention to it to notice.

Sections
Shortcuts