Morse to Seattle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Morse to Seattle

3 team deal with Oakland and Washington.  So far Jaso to Oakland and AJ Cole back to Was.

I have to assume Seattle is also  sending a very good prospect to Oakland. Because otherwise the A's got destroyed in this deal...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Morse to Seattle

In response to notin's comment:

3 team deal with Oakland and Washington.  So far Jaso to Oakland and AJ Cole back to Was.

I have to assume Seattle is also  sending a very good prospect to Oakland. Because otherwise the A's got destroyed in this deal...

well we can cross his name off the list.. i guess this means Smoak just became available?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

With Kendry Morales and Raul Ibanez onboard to fill the DH, and Jaso moving to Oakland it certainly appears that Seattle is on the verge of giving Jesus Montero an opportunity to be the full time catcher in 2013.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

@jonmorosi: For SEA, so much of this trade hinges on whether Jesus Montero can catch. He wasn’t even in the deal and he’s the key player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Has your favorite team ever made a trade that was nauseating?

John Jaso, who remains under team control for two years, posted a WAR of 2.6 last season while Mike Morse, who remains under team control for one year, posted a WAR of 0.3. Outside of his solid if unspectacular WAR of 3.3 in 2011, Morse has never posted a season WAR above 1.1.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Has your favorite team ever made a trade that was nauseating?

John Jaso, who remains under team control for two years, posted a WAR of 2.6 last season while Mike Morse, who remains under team control for one year, posted a WAR of 0.3. Outside of his solid if unspectacular WAR of 3.3 in 2011, Morse has never posted a season WAR above 1.1.

But you would take Morse at 1B if you could. WAR isn't everything. Jeepers. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was hoping Oakland would be our trade partner for Salty or Lava, but many here said they didn't need a catcher... hmmm...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

well we can cross his name off the list.. i guess this means Smoak just became available?

I called Jack Z and asked him if Smoak was available.  He said,  and I quote, "Who the ##/$#& are you?" 

So that certainly settles that...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I was hoping Oakland would be our trade partner for Salty or Lava, but many here said they didn't need a catcher... hmmm...

I'm surprised that Oakland GM Billy Beane designated George Kottaras for assignment in favor of John Jaso, but Beane said he's been pursuing Jaso for months:

https://twitter.com/JaneMLB/status/291722624323698688

Beane said he was happy with catchers Derek Norris and George Kottaras, and would trade for a catcher "only if it was Jaso."

https://twitter.com/JaneMLB/status/291723108681916416

Last season Jaso posted an on-base percentage of .394, an OPS+ of 144 amd a WAR* of 2.7 in 108 games while Jarrod Saltalamacchia posted an OBP of .288, an OPS+of 95 and a WAR of 2.0 in 121 games. Jaso remains under team control for two years at a projected 2013 salary of $1.7 million  while Saltalamacchia remains under team control for one year at a projected salary of $3.9 million.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nats gets back the pitching prospect they gave up for Gonzalez + another RHP and a PTBNL, A's got their man Jaso, and Seattle gets a little thump in their lineup from Morse...

Seems to me every team filled a need without letting go of too much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Seattle is putting together a pretty good line-up (not great but not bad either).  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I won't be surprised if the Mariners are the cinderella team.  They have added 3 bats that can contribute and their pitching will be better with their young prospects coming up.  Smoak-Morse-Morales-Montero will be forceful lineup.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"BLOCKBUSTER" coming sooooooon !!!!   I can feel it !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I won't be surprised if the Mariners are the cinderella team.  They have added 3 bats that can contribute and their pitching will be better with their young prospects coming up.  Smoak-Morse-Morales-Montero will be forceful lineup.  

They got rid of one of their best hitters in the trade. Jaso.

They'll still be fighting to stay out of the cellar again this year, like they usually do. I agree that they'll be better, but when the other teams are Texas, A's, and Halo's, they dont have much chance.

Wait a minute....Isnt Houston in the ALW now? If so, then I guess a solid 4th place could be expected.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Seattle's starting pitching is a great concern if the touted prospects are not ready to contribute ... of course, I expect more moves in the upcoming weeks as the M's reportedly still have money to spend.

The Mariner lineup also has thirdbaseman Kyle Seager, who hit 15 homeruns on the road last year, posting a WAR of 3.6 as a 24-year-old, and outfielder Michael Saunders, who hit 19 homeruns and stole 21 bases, posting a 2.3 WAR as a 25-year-old.

I'm not crazy about the Seattle moves, but the Mariners managed to add Kendrys Morales, Mike Morse, Raul Ibanez and Jason Bay without surrendering a single prospect from their loaded farm system.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Seattle's starting pitching is a great concern if the touted prospects are not ready to contribute ... of course, I expect more moves in the upcoming weeks as the M's reportedly still have money to spend.

The Mariner lineup also has thirdbaseman Kyle Seager, who hit 15 homeruns on the road last year, posting a WAR of 3.6 as a 24-year-old, and outfielder Michael Saunders, who hit 19 homeruns and stole 21 bases, posting a 2.3 WAR as a 25-year-old.

I'm not crazy about the Seattle moves, but the Mariners managed to add Kendrys Morales, Mike Morse, Raul Ibanez and Jason Bay without surrendering a single prospect from their loaded farm system.

Were you ever a Pilot's fan?

I lived in Milwaukee when they moved there and became the Brewers.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

As for "their loaded farm system", that's been the cry for a long, long, long, long, long time.

In its organization rankings, Baseball America ranked the Seattle farm system 24th in 2009, 20th in 2010, 18th in 2011 and sixth in 2012.

Baseball America has not releases its 2013 organization rankings, but BA columnist Jim Callis, who has input on the list, has ranked the Seattle system second.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Were you ever a Pilot's fan? I lived in Milwaukee when they moved there and became the Brewers.

I was never a Seattle Pilots fan, although I'm a huge fan of Jim Bouton's classic book Ball Four, which chronicled his 1969 season with the Pilots. I was prepared to attend the 40-year reunion of the Pilots one afternoon in 2009, but I broke my wrist in a bicycle accident that morning, postponing my trip to Seattle for about four hours. However, I saw many of the Pilots -- including Bouton -- when they were introduced at the Mariners' game that evening.

In 1969, I was a Minnesota Twins fan as a 13-year-old in the Midwest.

Sections
Shortcuts