Most Interesting Position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Most Interesting Position

The most interesting position this offseason will clearly be 1B.

Of the 4 departures, the most likely scenario will involve 2 internal solutions (with, at worst, short term stopgaps) and catcher is likely to have nothing more than a short term stopgap as well.  The goal is to either use the prospects now, or very soon with CF, SS and C.

But 1B, we have no such prospects.  All speculation the team could move Middlebrooks to 1B is just that, speculation.  First of all, he does not exactly have a stranglehold on 3B just yet.  And he really has not shown himself to be a player you have to re-arrange the lineup to accommodate.   I think the feeling for him is, let him show himself to be a Major Leaguer before the Sox start bouncing him anywhere around the infield.  Not to mention, it opens a hole at 3B.  While a prospect for that position does exist, it is unlikely the Sox use 3 or 4 rookies in the lineup as they attempt to defend a title.   That’s Marlins’ baseball.

So we have no internal solution internally, and the free agent market offers very little.  Beyond the incumbent Mike Napoli, all the other options are very likely to be overpriced or underperformers or both.

This leaves the trade market.  So far, the only name floated around are Billy Butler and Mark Trumbo.  With Butler, there is no real indication the Sox are interested, and no indication to date what it would take to pry Butler out of KC.  As for Trumbo, the price tag is a little more known (young, controllable SP), but Trumbo, to be blunt, isn’t that good.  And certainly not good enough to move consider dealing a young, controllable SP for. 

The Sox do have a SP surplus (despite that fact that there is no such thing as a SP surplus).  With 6 starters vying for 5 rotation spots, they could conceivably deal one for a 1B.  The most likely candidates are Dempster and Peavy, but I imagine Lackey is not off limits, either.  Lackey’s season and contract do make for an attractive trade piece.  But moving Lacking leaves the Sox with 3 pitchers entering 2014 in the final year of their deal, which is not necessarily a good thing going forward, either.  Moving Dempster or Peavy at least only leaves them with 2, the remaining pitcher and Lester.

I am not sure what type of 1B can be had for Peavy or Dempster.  For a team to be interested, they must feel think they are a contender or 1 SP away from contention in 2014, and have a movable 1B, or be interested in acquiring a pitcher they hope to be able to trade in July for prospects.  The latter requirement is pretty subjective and opens up a lot more options, but presumably any team in that position could just as easily hope to deal their 1B rather than gamble that Peavy / Dempster can net a worthwhile return (though both have in recent years).  And the trouble with the first et of requirements is that most teams in contention do count on a certain amount of production from 1B, so any 1B who really meets the Sox needs is probably not so readily available.

This leaves the final possibility of roundabout imaginative ways.  Could the Sox get an available infielder, like Dan Uggla, and move him to 1B?  (They could, but they probably won’t.)  Do they get a SS and re-arrange the infield (Bogaerts to 3B, Middlebrooks to 1B) for a season?  One possibility is the incredibly overrated Asdrubal Cabrera.  Cabrera is coming off an abysmal season at the plate, is an up-and-down fielder whose range really fits better at 2B or 3B instead of SS, and is due to make $10mill in 2014, which he is unlikely to earn.  He is also in the last year of his deal, and the Indians top prospect is their shortstop of the future, Franciso Lindor.  There are really only 3 issues with Cabrera.  1) He is an average defensive player at best.  2) He is not much of a hitter, though he is probably capable of more than 2013 and 3) despite all this, all the rumors surrounding this guy for the past year or two seem to be centered on him actually being good.  And of course, what happens in 2015, when Cabrera leaves?  Middlebrooks back to 3B and Bogaerts back to SS?

Or they could see what could be had for 2 years of a very reasonably priced Lackey.   Obviously, it will be better, but I think I prefer moving one of Peavy or Dempster…

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Most Interesting Position

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of the 4 departures, the most likely scenario will involve 2 internal solutions (with, at worst, short term stopgaps) and catcher is likely to have nothing more than a short term stopgap as well.  The goal is to either use the prospects now, or very soon with CF, SS and C.

But 1B, we have no such prospects.  All speculation the team could move Middlebrooks to 1B is just that, speculation.  First of all, he does not exactly have a stranglehold on 3B just yet.  And he really has not shown himself to be a player you have to re-arrange the lineup to accommodate.   I think the feeling for him is, let him show himself to be a Major Leaguer before the Sox start bouncing him anywhere around the infield.  Not to mention, it opens a hole at 3B.  While a prospect for that position does exist, it is unlikely the Sox use 3 or 4 rookies in the lineup as they attempt to defend a title.   That’s Marlins’ baseball.

So we have no internal solution internally, and the free agent market offers very little.  Beyond the incumbent Mike Napoli, all the other options are very likely to be overpriced or underperformers or both.

This leaves the trade market.  So far, the only name floated around are Billy Butler and Mark Trumbo.  With Butler, there is no real indication the Sox are interested, and no indication to date what it would take to pry Butler out of KC.  As for Trumbo, the price tag is a little more known (young, controllable SP), but Trumbo, to be blunt, isn’t that good.  And certainly not good enough to move consider dealing a young, controllable SP for. 

The Sox do have a SP surplus (despite that fact that there is no such thing as a SP surplus).  With 6 starters vying for 5 rotation spots, they could conceivably deal one for a 1B.  The most likely candidates are Dempster and Peavy, but I imagine Lackey is not off limits, either.  Lackey’s season and contract do make for an attractive trade piece.  But moving Lacking leaves the Sox with 3 pitchers entering 2014 in the final year of their deal, which is not necessarily a good thing going forward, either.  Moving Dempster or Peavy at least only leaves them with 2, the remaining pitcher and Lester.

I am not sure what type of 1B can be had for Peavy or Dempster.  For a team to be interested, they must feel think they are a contender or 1 SP away from contention in 2014, and have a movable 1B, or be interested in acquiring a pitcher they hope to be able to trade in July for prospects.  The latter requirement is pretty subjective and opens up a lot more options, but presumably any team in that position could just as easily hope to deal their 1B rather than gamble that Peavy / Dempster can net a worthwhile return (though both have in recent years).  And the trouble with the first et of requirements is that most teams in contention do count on a certain amount of production from 1B, so any 1B who really meets the Sox needs is probably not so readily available.

This leaves the final possibility of roundabout imaginative ways.  Could the Sox get an available infielder, like Dan Uggla, and move him to 1B?  (They could, but they probably won’t.)  Do they get a SS and re-arrange the infield (Bogaerts to 3B, Middlebrooks to 1B) for a season?  One possibility is the incredibly overrated Asdrubal Cabrera.  Cabrera is coming off an abysmal season at the plate, is an up-and-down fielder whose range really fits better at 2B or 3B instead of SS, and is due to make $10mill in 2014, which he is unlikely to earn.  He is also in the last year of his deal, and the Indians top prospect is their shortstop of the future, Franciso Lindor.  There are really only 3 issues with Cabrera.  1) He is an average defensive player at best.  2) He is not much of a hitter, though he is probably capable of more than 2013 and 3) despite all this, all the rumors surrounding this guy for the past year or two seem to be centered on him actually being good.  And of course, what happens in 2015, when Cabrera leaves?  Middlebrooks back to 3B and Bogaerts back to SS?

Or they could see what could be had for 2 years of a very reasonably priced Lackey.   Obviously, it will be better, but I think I prefer moving one of Peavy or Dempster…

[/QUOTE]

Is there a grossly overpaid first baseman out there that could still be a decent contributor, but who might be available in trade for a team looking for some salary relief?  In a thread from several weeks ago, you hinted at the idea of offering Ryan Dempster for Jason Werth.  While Werth is not a first baseman, he might fill a slugging void that would come with the loss of Napoli.  Is this potential swap still viable, and are there others like it, especially one involving a first baseman, that you can foresee happening?  

Being a team with a big payroll that may have some money in the budget for this type of contingency, this is how the Red Sox could fill this void.  Looking at this type of contract in isolation, many will grimace at the price tag of an overpaid lug.  Of course, this is how many of us saw Napoli when they first learned of his salary, prior to his physical and salary readjustment.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I never mentioned Werth, although I have named a few odd choices, like Uggla.  Werth is certainly better than Uggla, but also older, more injury prone, and under contract for longer...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Dan Uggla would be a decent buy-low candidate at firstbase in a trade of Ryan Dempster if Uggla were owed an annual salary of $13 million for one year instead of two.

Steamer projects a 2014 WAR* of 1.2 for Ugga, who turns 34 in March, and a 2014 WAR of 0.9 for Dempster, who turns 37 in May and who in 2014 is owed $13.25 million in the final year of his contract.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3442&position=2B

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=517&position=P

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

I never mentioned Werth, although I have named a few odd choices, like Uggla.  Werth is certainly better than Uggla, but also older, more injury prone, and under contract for longer...

[/QUOTE]

I remember someone mentioning the Werth idea and I thought it was you.  Sorry.  

I still think it's a great idea, but I'm not sure Washington would think that.  To maintain the Red Sox status quo as a WS caliber team, they're probably going to have to suck it up somewhere.  Given Napoli's potential hip issue, Werth might be no less of a risk, and Napoli probably gets a new deal that might take him to the end of 2017 anyways, just like Werth, although likely for a few mil less per year.  

I took a gander at Uggla's numbers.  Yuck.  And not trending well.  Looks more like a dumpster dive at this point.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The thing is, we can all at least see possiblities everywhere else, whether the solutions I post are viable or not.

CF - Bradley?  Pretty likely.

SS - Bogaerts?  I can see it.

C - Ruiz?  Looking probable.  At least there is activity on this front.

1B - ??????  Napoli?  They offered him one year!  Who else is there? No prospects.  No rumors!  No decent options in free agency.   This might require a little creativity.

Couple that with the surplus in SP, and it gets very interesting...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

upside down, different perspective

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know it seems counterintuitive to move 2 guys to make room for a weak bat, but hear me out.

Ton me, the number one issue both in 2014 and beyond, is Bogey. I may be wrong, but I do not seem him ever becoming a plus fielding SS. He's better at 3B, so let's put him there now. That makes 1B a position we can let 4 guys fight over time at:

Middy (must earn time)

Carp (must prove he can do it over the long haul)

Nava (can play 1B, but then who plays LF vs righties?)

Papi (at NL parks or in case of emergency)

So, sign a cheap defensive whiz SS (Ryan? Barnes?) or trade for one.

Spend the rest of the money at C, RP and OF, since spending big at 1B puts us in a bind in NL parks when our two best hitters can only play 1B.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know it seems counterintuitive to move 2 guys to make room for a weak bat, but hear me out.

Ton me, the number one issue both in 2014 and beyond, is Bogey. I may be wrong, but I do not seem him ever becoming a plus fielding SS. He's better at 3B, so let's put him there now. That makes 1B a position we can let 4 guys fight over time at:

Middy (must earn time)

Carp (must prove he can do it over the long haul)

Nava (can play 1B, but then who plays LF vs righties?)

Papi (at NL parks or in case of emergency)

So, sign a cheap defensive whiz SS (Ryan? Barnes?) or trade for one.

Spend the rest of the money at C, RP and OF, since spending big at 1B puts us in a bind in NL parks when our two best hitters can only play 1B.

[/QUOTE]

I think your idea of a rotational first baseman with competition for time is a good one.  It worked well last season for leftfielder and third baseman.    However, the Red Sox will still have a slugging shortage that they will need to make up, most likely in a rightfielder.  That's why I think Jason Werth would be a good candidate if he's available for trade without giving up an essential player.  Beltran's bat would be great as well, although I'm not sure of him covering Fenway's massive rightfield with his bad wheels.  Maybe he can move to left with a rotation of Nava, Vic, and JBJ in right. 

Another issue is the one of needing Middlebrooks as a trading chip to fill other potential voids, although he may not get much in return at this point in time.  The Red Sox could pull an Iggy by featuring him in the lineup and swapping him after he gets hot, and another pennant contender needs a thirdbaseman/slugger after their own thirdbaseman gets injured or performs poorly.  Of course, by then, the Red Sox may depend on Middy themselves.  

As far as shortstop is concerned, I would still like to see Bogey get his feet wet at the position while platooning with a defensive whiz or steady, experienced supersub a la Alex Cora.  Bogey can rotate between short and third.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Visit the Mike Carp thread I created as to why he is the answer at first base along with Nava.  It is asinine to trade for Trumbo or Werth when you have very solid cost controlled bats already on the roster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

Visit the Mike Carp thread I created as to why he is the answer at first base along with Nava.  It is asinine to trade for Trumbo or Werth when you have very solid cost controlled bats already on the roster.

Mike Carp and Nava may be cost controlled, but the lineup needs more pop.  Not spending for what you need to finish the job when you can manage it in your budget is asinine.  As a fan, I'm watching a competition for the World Series Championship, not a competition for which GM gets the most composite bang for the their buck.  The pieces still have to fit together and the net bang on the field has to be better than your competition.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Carp/Hart

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No way I trade for Trumbo.

I wouldn't trade for Werth, unless some of his contract is paid.

To me, there's a "quandry" with the Sox:

I'd prefer to keep Victorinoin RF not CF.

I'd prefer Bogey at 3B not SS.

I'd prefer to have our 2nd biggest slugger not be at 1B, due to Papi needing to play there at NL parks.

We need a big slugger to protect Papi and maybe eventually replace him.

This is a quandry, because what position does the next slugger we get play?

SS?  Only Tulo fits the bill, but is not available.

CF?  Who?  Choo is best in LF or RF (and Victorino goes to CF- not good)

LF? We have a nice platoon of Nava/Gomes and neither can play CF, and if you put them in RF (not good), it moves Victorino to CF (not good).

3B? Who? Plus, it moves Bogey to SS (not good)

C?  McCann might return to form, but will probably not be a catcher by year 3 or 4 of his deal.

OK, keeping Bogey is what is going to happen in 2014, no matter what I want, so our best non 1B position to obtain a slugger to protect Papi is probably CF, 3B & C, unless we trade Nava and/or Gomes and put a guy like Beltran in LF.

How can we keep Shane in RF and get a big bat that does not play 1B?  Any ideas?

(It would be great if we could bring Napoli back and get a big bat elsewhere, then we'd be sitting pretty.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd prefer to have our 2nd biggest slugger not be at 1B, due to Papi needing to play there at NL parks.

LF? We have a nice platoon of Nava/Gomes and neither can play CF, and if you put them in RF (not good), it moves Victorino to CF (not good).

3B? Who? Plus, it moves Boget to SS (not good)

C?  McCann might return to form, but will probably not be a catcher by year 3 or 4 of his deal.

OK, keeping Bogey is what is going to happen in 2014, no matter what I want, so our best non 1B position to obtain a slugger to protect Papi is probably CF, 3B & C, unless we trade Nava and/or Gomes and put a guy like Beltran in LF.

How can we keep Shane in RF and get a big bat that does not play 1B?  Any ideas?

(It would be great if we could bring Napoli back and get a big bat elsewhere, then we'd be sitting pretty.)

[/QUOTE]

There's no optimal solution, but the more overlap they have, the more they cover for injuries, and the more they create some surplus that will allow for trading possibilities down the road.  I like having a flexible Victorino that can play center to accomodate a corner outfielder, or play more rightfield if JBJ emerges.  Nava can get some action in at first base, and Gomes will take the hit in playing time if everything goes well for the others and Beltran is in the mix.  While this may not utilize the best of each player's talents, it probably improves the productivity of the group as a whole and better leverages them against injuries or poor performances.  

This strategy (depth/overlap) worked well in 2013.  When the chips were on the line in the playoffs, certain players took the hit (Nava, Salty, Middlebrooks).  They were sacraficed, but the team benefitted as a whole.  It can be a good problem to have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Carp/Hart

[/QUOTE]

What do you expect Hart to cost in salary and years?  I like the fact that he can play outfield and stay in the lineup if Papi needs to play first base in an NL park.  If Hart is there, I don't suspect the Red Sox will need both Carp and Nava.  Of the two, I'd much rather keep Nava.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's no optimal solution, but the more overlap they have, the more they cover for injuries, and the more they create some surplus that will allow for trading possibilities down the road.  I like having a flexible Victorino that can play center to accomodate a corner outfielder, or play more rightfield if JBJ emerges.  Nava can get some action in at first base, and Gomes will take the hit in playing time if everything goes well for the others and Beltran is in the mix.  While this may not utilize the best of each player's talents, it probably improves the productivity of the group as a whole and better leverages them against injuries or poor performances.  

This strategy (depth/overlap) worked well in 2013.  When the chips were on the line in the playoffs, certain players took the hit (Nava, Salty, Middlebrooks).  They were sacraficed, but the team benefitted as a whole.  It can be a good problem to have.

[/QUOTE]

Well put Sheriff, and we certainly will and need to add 2 big pieces: probably at CF, 1B or C, but with the flexibility you mentioned, we have widened our options, even if it puts players in positions they not be best at by obtaining a ...

RF'er: move Shane to CF

SS: move Bogey to 3B

3B: move Middy to 1B

LF: move Nava to RF & Shane to CF

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well put Sheriff, and we certainly will and need to add 2 big pieces: probably at CF, 1B or C, but with the flexibility you mentioned, we have widened our options, even if it puts players in positions they not be best at by obtaining a ...

RF'er: move Shane to CF

SS: move Bogey to 3B

3B: move Middy to 1B

LF: move Nava to RF & Shane to CF

[/QUOTE]

There are a number of possibilities, and each move will be contingent upon another.  It boggles the mind.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

[QUOTE]

Is there a grossly overpaid first baseman out there that could still be a decent contributor, but who might be available in trade for a team looking for some salary relief?  In a thread from several weeks ago, you hinted at the idea of offering Ryan Dempster for Jason Werth.  While Werth is not a first baseman, he might fill a slugging void that would come with the loss of Napoli.  Is this potential swap still viable, and are there others like it, especially one involving a first baseman, that you can foresee happening?  

Being a team with a big payroll that may have some money in the budget for this type of contingency, this is how the Red Sox could fill this void.  Looking at this type of contract in isolation, many will grimace at the price tag of an overpaid lug.  Of course, this is how many of us saw Napoli when they first learned of his salary, prior to his physical and salary readjustment.  

[/QUOTE] Cory Hart,James Loney,Paul Kornerko, Adam Dunn and from the Sox organization Nava, Carp, Hamilton, and Shaw.No shortage from what I can see. Or just pay Napoli.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

1 yr, Youk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I could see a guy like Lackey getting a Jason Castro from Houston--perhaps Lackey and one of our plethora of  40 man roster catchers. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

The thing is, we can all at least see possiblities everywhere else, whether the solutions I post are viable or not.

1B - ??????  Napoli?  They offered him one year!  Who else is there? No prospects.  No rumors!  No decent options in free agency.   This might require a little creativity.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see Bradley as the starting CFer they will bring in a vet as least a place holder. Look at what they did at SS last year. Bradley has shown less than Iglias that this point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

If you could find a legit power THREAT other than Nap I would look at James Loney for 1 B especially if you are going with WMB and Xander on the left side of the infield. 

Beltran, McCann and Loney could be  nice middle of the order protection for Ortiz.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

You guys (at the very least, the TC) seem to be ignoring the most obvious solution- Napoli himself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

As usual, a well done opening salvo. But as a general rule, almost like a DH, finding a 1B-man shouldn't be that hard. It is a position that most big leaguers, with a little training, can play at least adequately. Others who clearly didn't have any fielding talent to speak of coming up ended up there as well. Others who came up at other positions and clearly stunk were  moved there; Giambi-both and Dunn come to mind.

Many a superstar, I recall Mantle, of course; Mays, Carew, Brett, Yaz and Aaron part-time also, parked themselves there at the end. Were they good? No. But they were OK.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Marioguy424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys (at the very least, the TC) seem to be ignoring the most obvious solution- Napoli himself.

[/QUOTE]

How about we shock the world and sign Cano for 3B.  Then go cheap every else.  

Victorino, pedey, papi, cano, bogey, middy, nava(gomes) ross(lava) jbj

peavy and dempster dealt for bullpen arms and to clear cap space.  

Sections
Shortcuts