most likely sox to go for a SP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

most likely sox to go for a SP

Ellsbury, Lavarnway or salty, aceves, morales, kalish

This bring us a dickey, anderson, who else?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: most likely sox to go for a SP

Don't care if its Anderson/McCarthy/Marcum/Jackson but we need STARTING PITCHING! Memo to Ben time to start concentrating on the PITCHING STAFF! This off season will only be a success if Ben is able to secure a starter or 2. Napoli/Victorino/Ross/Gomes means nothing unless we get what really ails this team QUALITY STARTING PITCHING.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

patience Ben is moving along and will leave Nashville with a pither either thru a trade of free agent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston isnt going to give up Ellsbury for a 38 years old Dickey.  

I think Boston need a long term top of the rotation pitcher such as Felix, etc!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

I think Boston need a long term top of the rotation pitcher such as Felix, etc!!

King Felix will be the ace in the hole, but the Mariners are not trading him. The Sox mngt. will need to look elsewhere.

The Ellsbury situation is very open for trade talks, after signing Victorino.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Dickey? Man just another reason to take a 24 hour siesta from this forum... so many of you are dumb, it is dumbfounding just how dumb you are dummies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Ells, Salty and Aceves for Floyd and a low-level OF prospect with upside.

Add Doubront and you might get a Cliff Lee.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I'm sure they will give away Ellsbury for a mediocre pitcher at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Ellsbury, Lavarnway or salty, aceves, morales, kalish

This bring us a dickey, anderson, who else?

If the Sox get another outfielder with speed then i can see Ells being trade bait.

Lavarnway is not a complete catcher yet, but still can be involve in a package.

Salty will be the catcher to share catching duties with Ross.

Aceves could be the odd man out in a deal.

Morales so far is the keeper for the pitching depth, got off to good start but then was sideline.

Kalish is a injured prone prospect but has potential, if he can get back on a positive track.

But yes, hopefully his game plan is to pick up starters. Last I heard is McCarthy is on the radar. Farrell once was the Sox pitching coach and is still familiar with the pitching roster.

Lester big question will he rebound from a bad year. I think he can.

Bucholtz can still get the job done.

Doubront was a surprise last season, but can he still do it this year. With new coaching he will.

Lackey is my biggest concern after the Tommy John surgery can he get back to his form. Probably not as good as i anticipate but can still get the Sox some wins.

Signing McCarthy will get one small hole filled in the rotation.

Morales I will like to see in the bullpen for the just incase factor.

The bullpen signing that I can see is Grilli.

The pitching rumours out there will become more realistic by this weekend.

Some names that I heard on the rumour trade talk are: Trevor Bauer, Julio Teheran, Jake Arrieta, Matt Garza, Jason Vargas and Masterson. These are not the big names we want to here but the trades can be done without giving half a team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Is Lackey even available for the start of the season? Or is he joining the rotation later? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Is Lackey even available for the start of the season? Or is he joining the rotation later? 

As far i know yes. He did do some pitching sessions to test is arm. And so far he is OK for spring training, he will probably coast during catcher and pitchers practice, then the real testing will be spring training games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Well , let's hope we get a pitcher who is of a higher caliber than the position players we have been acquiring. Your standard run-of-the-mill starting pitcher is not going to help very much.  I would rather see Tazawa get a shot.  It looks to me like we are in the process of putting together a very ordinary team for 2013.  A second straight last place finish is looming.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

i hope so. he could have pitched at the end of last season but being on the verge of 93 losses i guess they didn't see the point of it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

there are still options out there in terms of FAs to fill a SP spot. i'd like to see them bring in mccarthy and another veteran arm - lohse; jackson; marcum or anibal sanchez. 

it's obvious they overpaid some for napoli; victorino; gomes; and ross, though victorino seems like the biggest reach (not sure if the reported cleveland offer - 4 @ 44 csn be believed), maybe even an egregious one. if it is true I guess they targeted SV as the guy they wanted and were willing to pay a little more to escape the 4th year, but it's hard to get past the fact that on paper this guy seems like he's worth about 5 million less per year - that's a lot of extra money. seems like it only makes some kind of sense if they are sold on moving ellsbury. if they do bring in ross or swisher it'll be an even better indication that ellsbury is going at some point as there'll be an outfield in place to move forward, though they could certainly function with an outfield of ellsbury; victorino; and ross/swisher with gomes as the 4th guy for however long. if ellsbury went they still have nava and kalish in AAA. 

hard to get excited about second tier guys who have obvious deficiencies (trouble hitting lefties/righties/fielding issues) but do think it's important to be patient and see where things stand by the time the season begins. also think that along with minimizing length of contracts, there is a real focus on bringing in string character guys and changing the culture some and those are good things. 

say BC goes out and gets a solid SP or 2, another outfielder, a ss (drew?), and perhaps a RH set up guy? the perception might shift a bit as the team heads into the season. the team might not be a true contender, but if lester and bucholtz return to some kind of form they should at least be a .500 team. with an infusion of talent making their way to the bigs (brentz/bogaerts/ webster/ barnes/ bradley) the future is not completely bleak. and while no one wants the team throwing away money, don't think the extra 10 million per they might be spending by overpaying a hdnful of FAs for the next 2-3 years is going to make the difference between them contending or not. it's one of the advantages to being in a big market. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Don't care if its Anderson/McCarthy/Marcum/Jackson but we need STARTING PITCHING! Memo to Ben time to start concentrating on the PITCHING STAFF! This off season will only be a success if Ben is able to secure a starter or 2. Napoli/Victorino/Ross/Gomes means nothing unless we get what really ails this team QUALITY STARTING PITCHING.

You are correct. The whole crux of 2013 depends on getting another Starter or 2. Yankees appear desperate. Should we steal Swiish? ARod of course is done. Their Staff is very old for the most part. Ben needs to pull the trigger on an "A" player. WE have begun to slide into mediocrity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Unless BC works out a real "F'n A" trade, I don't see them adding much more than a #3-4 type pitcher and maybe a lottery ticket sort of guy.  The biggest improvement to our rotation is going to be [hopefully] Lester returning to form, Buch being not so horrible for the first two months of the season, Lackey looking like an actual MLB pitcher now that his arm is reattached and also some credible options coming from the BP or AAA to cover short DL stints.

If we can avoid a repeat of the last two years injuries (i.e., not suffering epidemics of biblical proportions), it looks like a team that could contend for the WC but not the division title.  I can live with that as long as we don't trade away the farm which looks to make them formidable in a 2014 ... maybe 2015.  To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing what Morales can do as a the #5 starter if that means we stock up on some exciting prospects in lieu of a #3 starter (assuming they will cash in Ells, Salty and some 2nd tier prospects either way). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

From today's FanGraphschat with columnist Dave Cameron:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/spontaneous-winter-meetings-live-chat-12512/

4:40 [ Comment From red met red met: ]

What has more trade value: one year of Jacoby Ellsbury or one year of R.A. Dickey?

Wednesday December 5, 2012

4:40 red met 4:40 Dave Cameron:

Dickey, easy.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Lackey isn't being held back in spring training according to the Boston brass. My guess is we won't get a first rate starter or a second rate one either.It's a shame we could have used Gomes or Victorino's money for a pitcher.

My guess is your guess is dead wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

The guys I mentioned are "worth" an A pitcher(1 or 2 starter) for sure, the trick is finding a team who needs our mix of players.  Jake is "expensive" for some teams.  Others do not need a catcher, etc.  Mets are probably the best fit to receive our players, but Dickey is not really the best fit in return, about 2-3 years too old, and 2-3 years too short on his deal.  Oakland has probably the best fit in Anderson(Felix ain't happening), but Jake is too expensive for them unless we give them cash too.  A gavin Floyd type would also work.

I say Jake, Salty, Aceves and cash for Anderson, then sign swisher for RF for 3 for 39ish(keep the trend going). 

victorino

pedroia

ortiz

napoli

swisher

middlebrooks

gomes/kalish

lavarnway/ross

iglesis/ciriaco

lester

buch

anderson

lackey

dubront

I like my chances.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Lackey isn't being held back in spring training according to the Boston brass. My guess is we won't get a first rate starter or a second rate one either.It's a shame we could have used Gomes or Victorino's money for a pitcher.

I agree Gomes is someone you pick up in late January for 1 year at about $860,000 not two years at 10 million before the Winter Mettings. He is not going to be a superstar because you pay him 10 million. He is a spot starter/ backup in the American League at best. Bad signing at that price. 

Do not even get me started about Shane Victorino at 39 million for 3 years. That move was sheer stupidity for a 255 hitter with 11 homeruns in the National League no doubt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I say Jake, Salty, Aceves and cash for Anderson, then sign swisher for RF for 3 for 39ish(keep the trend going).

The Athletics won't trade years of Brett Anderson for one year of Jacoby Ellsbury (who might be a fourth or fifth outfielder for Oakland, which added a 2.8 WAR outfielder to returning outfielders who posted WAR of 4.8, 3.7 and 2.9 last season), one year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia (who would compete with Derek Norris and George Kottaras) and two years of the volatile Alfredo Aceves. Ellsbury, Saltalamacchia and Aceves are projected to earn a combined $14.6 million in 2013.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

"'My guess is your guess is dead wrong."" I hope I'm wrong to.    Just don't see many prospects for what the sox have to offer. The trend this year is not signing top of the line players. Look for a semi washed up starter that will keep us just above 500 at best.

Could be.  But, there seem to be two camps formed in evaluating the moves made thus far: 1. The FO are idiots making stupid moves or 2. The signings offer flexibility in either making good trade chips in Ellsbury and/or Salty/lav available for a front line starter trade (Lee?) or flxibility in that not committing Hamilton money/years allows for the signing of a guy like McCarthy.  In any case, no moves have been made on the pitching front because, well, no moves have been made anywhere and wont be until Grienke gets settled.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Ellsbury for Mat Latos or Homer Bailey.

Sections
Shortcuts