Most wins, or pitching staff in order?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Most wins, or pitching staff in order?

Slasher made a comment in another thread that the Sox have an outside chance at 100 wins.  That milestone in itself doesn't do much for me but it did raise a question in my mind.

Once the Sox have the division championship wrapped up, is it more important to have the pitching staff in order for the playoffs or to have the most wins in the AL in order to play the WC team in the first round?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Most wins, or pitching staff in order?

In response to S5's comment:

Slasher made a comment in another thread that the Sox have an outside chance at 100 wins.  That milestone in itself doesn't do much for me but it did raise a question in my mind.

Once the Sox have the division championship wrapped up, is it more important to have the pitching staff in order for the playoffs or to have the most wins in the AL in order to play the WC team in the first round?

Definitely setting the rotation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:

that plus home field in both rounds

especially seeing how there's not much of a drop off in your 1st 3 starters

unless extra rest is considered high priority

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Good question S5. 

i think that once the playoffs begin, anything can happen in any series.

a ~.500 team that sneaks in and gets hot at the right time can win it all (see:  Cards).

that being said, i am not sure that it matters so much who we play in the Division Series so i would go with "setting the rotation".

ALTHOUGH....To expound on your question - is it important enough to play hard to the end (while possibly sacrificing the divisional round rotation) in order to have homefield advantage in the Championship round?  (if they advance of course)...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I tend to go with Zac, and I hadn't even thought of home field.

I see the WC race and single game playoff game as being a grueling few days for the eventual WC team with NO set pitching going into the PO's. [edit:  In fact, it's worse for them than "no set pitching" since they're probably going to blow up their staff just to get there!]

I also see the Sox top 4 being so equal that the PO rotation could almost (almost) be drawn out of a hat and it wouldn't make much difference.

I'd go for the best record.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Want best record for home field advantage throughout playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Good question S5. 

a ~.500 team that sneaks in and gets hot at the right time can win it all (see:  Cards).

that being said, i am not sure that it matters so much who we play in the Division Series so i would go with "setting the rotation".

ALTHOUGH....To expound on your question - is it important enough to play hard to the end (while possibly sacrificing the divisional round rotation) in order to have homefield advantage in the Championship round?  (if they advance of course)...

nice avy Slash...tho she could stand to use a much smaller glove Tongue Out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Definitely get the best record.  Playing the WC in the first round is a huge advantage, home field is pretty huge too.

WC is especially imortant when you look at the current standings.  It's not inconceivable that you have 5 teams tied for the second wc spot, 2 or 3 teams tied almost seems likely.

It's actually all a moot point though.  I just looked at the PS schedule.  Redsox last game is Sunday, Division series start on Friday.  Whoever pitches the last game still has 4 days off before the playoffs start.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Good question S5. 

But as for now in the AL league, no one is hot as a wildcard contender.  All are playing up and down right now in the last two to four weeks.   Also there are like 6 teams fighting fo the two spots.  So therefore, there will be wear and tear on all of them.  Meaning, it is possible that most teams will be force to have their top three best pitchers available for the last three regular season games so they can try to clinch the wildcard spot.  And the bad news is that who ever pitch the first game of the three last regular season game may be force to pitch in the first round one game wildcard spot to help the team to advance the next round. 

I do not see any of two AL wildcard teams going deep in the playoff this year.  I think that the two NL wildcard teams will go deep cuz there are only three teams fighting for the two spots while the third team will win the division which they are Cincy, St. Louis and Pittsburgh.

Well, of course, it is important for Boston to get the best record in MLB cuz they play alot better at Fenway Park this year than on the road especially for John Lackey!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good question S5. 

nice avy Slash...tho she could stand to use a much smaller glove Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

yes, kid sizedInnocent

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

+1

Especially if we face a team like the Tigers in the ALCS.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

+1

Especially if we face a team like the Tigers in the ALCS.  

[/QUOTE]

+2

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Good question S5. 

Dude, change your avatar, and look up misogynist.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

Dude, change your avatar, and look up misogynist.

Thanks Youk!  changed!!!

dude, change your screenname, and look up yankees roster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I want the best record and homefield, too. But not at the expense of our pitching being set.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I want the best record and homefield, too. But not at the expense of our pitching being set.

Did anyone see my post?

There are 4 days between the sox last game and the start of the division series.  There is no need to set the rotation, a pitcher can start the last game of the season and the first game of the playoffs on regular rest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

As Greenwell4Pres pointed out - and I hadn't noticed - if things continue as they are we can go all-out for the best record.  Our last regular season game is on Sunday and our 1st playoff game is on Friday so our pitching staff is going to be rested anyway. 

Being a Red Sox fan (a/k/a someone who turns over rocks looking for problems LOL)  my concern now is going four days without a game and losing our 'edge'.  But I admit, that's a pretty good problem to have! 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Did anyone see my post?

There are 4 days between the sox last game and the start of the division series.  There is no need to set the rotation, a pitcher can start the last game of the season and the first game of the playoffs on regular rest.

I didn't  mean the rotation, I meant everyone's arm being rested.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Definitely get the best record.  Playing the WC in the first round is a huge advantage, home field is pretty huge too.

WC is especially imortant when you look at the current standings.  It's not inconceivable that you have 5 teams tied for the second wc spot, 2 or 3 teams tied almost seems likely.

It's actually all a moot point though.  I just looked at the PS schedule.  Redsox last game is Sunday, Division series start on Friday.  Whoever pitches the last game still has 4 days off before the playoffs start.

Bingo!! 

Just win as many as possible up intil the last rotation then save Lester/Peavey/Buch/Lackey in that order with 6 days off before starting the first round(3 outta 5) with the WC winner.  Get home field advantage thru out if it is possible.  Playing in Fenway is a major advantage to our guys,  and getting this advantage from series #1 thru to, and including the WS is HUGE.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts