Moves by BenC.--moves you might question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Moves by BenC.--moves you might question

A relatively recent move Justin Germano to the CUBS for Cash Considerations.
    Currently 2-2, has pitched 31 innings, ERA 3.19, WHIP--1.16. As of 8/16/12.
    My opinion: the fault does not always fall on BobbyV's shoulders.

My post when he had an Opt-out 7/1/12:

The PawSox top pitcher has an opt out today, 7/1/12.
    The kid is 29 with a 9-4 record this season with the PawSox.
    2.40 ERA in 105 Inn.
    Opponents BA   .211.
    He is an All Star this season--will probably be picked up by the Jays or Yankees.

He is not on the active roster--hate to see them lose him.

Sox Transactions--an interesting look--then select any other teams transactions from the same site:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Moves by BenC.--moves you might question

You are correct.  Letting Germano go the Cubs, after he hadnt pitched in Boston all year, is why we are in the toilet.

Maybe if BV didnt prioritize going young over winning, he would have called Germano up at some point this season.

Surprised

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

The fault should be spread around. This is what the owners, manager, and players have been saying all season but it would be a dull forum if there wasn't individuals to scapegoat on a daily basis. Such is the psychology of Internet forums. Debate, speculate, scapegoat, gripe, whine, troll, and inflame.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Moves by BenC.--moves you might question:
    [QUOTE]You are correct.  Letting Germano go the Cubs, after he hadnt pitched in Boston all year, is why we are in the toilet. Maybe if BV didnt prioritize going young over winning, he would have called Germano up at some point this season.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

He did pitch in one game and was very impressive. No room on the roster for him at the time he was let go, I presume. It was a FO decision.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moves by BenC.--moves you might question : He did pitch in one game and was very impressive. No room on the roster for him at the time he was let go, I presume. It was a FO decision.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I just think that the OP was kind of silly to harp on Cherrington for trading a guy who hardly played.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

In Response to Moves by BenC.--moves you might question:
    [QUOTE]A relatively recent move Justin Germano to the CUBS for Cash Considerations. Currently 2-2, has pitched 31 innings, ERA 3.19, WHIP--1.16. As of 8/16/12. My opinion: the fault does not always fall on BobbyV's shoulders. My post when he had an Opt-out 7/1/12: The PawSox top pitcher has an opt out today, 7/1/12. The kid is 29 with a 9-4 record this season with the PawSox. 2.40 ERA in 105 Inn. Opponents BA   .211. He is an All Star this season--will probably be picked up by the Jays or Yankees. He is not on the active roster--hate to see them lose him. Sox Transactions--an interesting look--then select any other teams transactions from the same site: http://stats.boston.com/mlb/teamreports.asp?yr=2009&tm=2&btnGo=Go&report=trans&p1=SportsNav_Sox_Transactions
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Losing Germano to the Cubs of all things? Cherington is still working with Theo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]You are correct.  Letting Germano go the Cubs, after he hadnt pitched in Boston all year, is why we are in the toilet. Maybe if BV didnt prioritize going young over winning, he would have called Germano up at some point this season.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]
    Germano pitched in a game against the Yankees and did well....5 innings worth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

You are right there is far more you can harp on Young Ben than this deal. He has made a lot of bad moves all year. I have no confidence in this guy at all let alone straighten out this team at the end of the season. In response to "Re: Moves by BenC.--moves you might question": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moves by BenC.--moves you might question : Agreed.  I just think that the OP was kind of silly to harp on Cherrington for trading a guy who hardly played. Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Drewski, my reason for starting it and including the link to other transactions was that compared to the Yankee transactions ours are Little League moves.

We have had the same opportunity to make moves in the last year the Yankees have or the Rangers have--the difference, the Yankees choose household names that are threats like Raul Ibanez and Chavez and Andru and McGehee. BenC and LL choose Nick Punto, Kelly Shoppach, Chris Carpenter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

I said it in another thread, but it's telling that the new GM hasn't made a good move yet and nobody really cares about there's so many other problems with the team right now. He's made some minor moves that haven't been bad but his trades have been horrible.

I question trading for an injury prone closer who, shockingly, spent all year on the DL. I question trading Lowrie for a reliever who spent most of they year in the minors because he was terrible. I question both of these moves having to be made because they let their closer leave because the set up man might be ready to close, then turning him into a starter, which left them without a closer or set-up man. But Bard couldn't start and now he can't releive so he's not even on the team now and Aceves has had to move to the closer roll when he was much more effective as a long reliever. Bard was supposed to be a closer, a set up man, or a starter and now he's neither. I question giving Youkilis away. Trading him? Sure. Giving him away just to do it? Not a good move. To his credit, his free agent moves haven't all been bad, mostly because they weren't significant enough for anyone to really care. It's not like he's investing long term money and years into these guys. If Cody Ross has a good year it's a nice surprise, if he doesn't, who cares? But his trades have been awful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Germanos bombed Pearl Harbor

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Motown I agree 110 percent with you and have been posting it all year. His trades have been questionable to awful. Maybe he is not calling the shots here and its Luchinno who is to blame here. The guy they picked up from the Mets for Shoppach is not great either. They say he misses few bats and and does not get many ground balls. I have no confidence in either Ben Cherrington or Luchinno to straighten out this team at all for next season. Cherrington should have gone with Theo or been fired, he had to have been in on Theo's disastrous signings like Crawford, Drew, Lugo, Saito, Baldelli, Smoltz, Penny. This team needs to bite the bullet and get a good GM in here like Billie Beane who knows talent not Young Ben who I think is a lacky for Luchinno. In response to "Re: Moves by BenC.--moves you might question": [QUOTE]I said it in another thread, but it's telling that the new GM hasn't made a good move yet and nobody really cares about there's so many other problems with the team right now. He's made some minor moves that haven't been bad but his trades have been horrible. I question trading for an injury prone closer who, shockingly, spent all year on the DL. I question trading Lowrie for a reliever who spent most of they year in the minors because he was terrible. I question both of these moves having to be made because they let their closer leave because the set up man might be ready to close, then turning him into a starter, which left them without a closer or set-up man. But Bard couldn't start and now he can't releive so he's not even on the team now and Aceves has had to move to the closer roll when he was much more effective as a long reliever. Bard was supposed to be a closer, a set up man, or a starter and now he's neither. I question giving Youkilis away. Trading him? Sure. Giving him away just to do it? Not a good move. To his credit, his free agent moves haven't all been bad, mostly because they weren't significant enough for anyone to really care. It's not like he's investing long term money and years into these guys. If Cody Ross has a good year it's a nice surprise, if he doesn't, who cares? But his trades have been awful. Posted by Motown9009[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

AL, here's the all-time question---If Larry was so sure that the team needed a complete change in manager by hiring BV, why was he so quick to not search for a GM? Ben clearly was part of Theo's longtime staff (and Duquette). It's ok to want something new out of a manager, but not ok to want something new in a GM? Idiotic philosphy on LL's part.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Not only that, but LL immediately shuts down one of BC's first decisions as GM...that's a dealbreaker right there. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

The thread was specific about ONE transaction. It was not  a general assessment of Ben Cherrington. Why have individual, specific threads when the chronic malcontents are going to recite their list of twenty reasons why they hate Cherrington, the FO, and the team? Why not discuss one issue at a time. This thread was about Germano. Start other threads to widen your scope. This is not "Show and Tell".

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Thread was about Germano. Don't go off on a tangent. Start another thread about other gripes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Thread was about Germano. Don't go off on a tangent. Start another thread about other gripes.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]Actually, the thread is about Ben Cherington's moves as gm, or didn't you bother to read the title?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The Germanos bombed Pearl Harbor
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

nice

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

The OP refined it to Germano. I was against getting rid of Germano but I do not work in the FO and aware of the many variables that were involved in that decision. Anyway, don't you think that threads should be specific instead of a podium for malcontents to get up onto and recite all of their many gripes about why everything about their team is bad, evil, inept, and corrupt. Why not discuss one thing at a time?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Good Point. He must have seen something in Ben that I am missing. In response to "Re: Moves by BenC.--moves you might question": [QUOTE]AL, here's the all-time question---If Larry was so sure that the team needed a complete change in manager by hiring BV, why was he so quick to not search for a GM? Ben clearly was part of Theo's longtime staff (and Duquette). It's ok to want something new out of a manager, but not ok to want something new in a GM? Idiotic philosphy on LL's part. Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

My question is why we keep dealing with the Cubs? Too much of a relationship with Theo.