MR. MADDON meet MR. FRANCONA of 2011! who do you hate mo, the yanks or Rays?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Re: MR. MADDON meet MR. FRANCONA of 2011! who do you hate mo, the yanks or Rays?

I know this sounds wierd but since the Sox are 9 1/2 up and I don't want the Yanks to make the playoffs, I'm kind of rooting for the Rays to win Thursday so they can go two up on the Yanks. I know it's sacreligous and cocky to do that at this point but I dislike the Yanks so much I might secretly hope that happens. I would really like to see the Royals or Indians as the second team to the Rangers(Assuming they hold on) I'm also hoping the Orioles are in the WC race to the last Friday night in September against us. I'm going to that game in Baltimore and I would love for the Sox to knock them off and repay them from two years ago. Oh BTW, the only time I rooted against the Red Sox was September of 1980 gainst the O's. The Sox were out of it so I rooted for the O's to win so they would beat out the Yanks. They(O's) won 100 games but finished 3 back of the Yanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: MR. MADDON meet MR. FRANCONA of 2011! who do you hate mo, the yanks or Rays?

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

I know this sounds wierd but since the Sox are 9 1/2 up and I don't want the Yanks to make the playoffs, I'm kind of rooting for the Rays to win Thursday so they can go two up on the Yanks. I know it's sacreligous and cocky to do that at this point but I dislike the Yanks so much I might secretly hope that happens. I would really like to see the Royals or Indians as the second team to the Rangers(Assuming they hold on) I'm also hoping the Orioles are in the WC race to the last Friday night in September against us. I'm going to that game in Baltimore and I would love for the Sox to knock them off and repay them from two years ago. Oh BTW, the only time I rooted against the Red Sox was September of 1980 gainst the O's. The Sox were out of it so I rooted for the O's to win so they would beat out the Yanks. They(O's) won 100 games but finished 3 back of the Yanks.

No no, beat the Rays tonight. We can take care of NY ourselves this weekend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I really dislike the Rays and would rather see the Yankees or Baltimore make the playoffs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Since the Yankees are starting to get b@nged up again.  Jeter is done.  Nova have bicep problem.  Sabathia isnt the same he was in the past.  A-Rod's hearing on appealing suspension is on Sept. 30th and who know he could be suspended for good afterward.  So in someway, I do not mind seeing the Sox facing the Yankees in the divisional round.   I just want the Sox just crushed them every single game and embarrassed them badly like they did it in Bronx last weekend!!

Go Sox

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I want to see all 5 teams, Tampa, Cleveland, Baltimore, NY and KC tied for the second wild card at the end of the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

I want to see all 5 teams, Tampa, Cleveland, Baltimore, NY and KC tied for the second wild card at the end of the season.

That's just sick & twisted! lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Obviously I would love to see Cleveland make  it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

hahahaha.  +2.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

hahahaha.  +2.

Here is the tiebreaker rule for four clubs only: Four-Club Tie for One Wild Card Spot:

After Clubs have been assigned their A, B, C and D designations, Club A would host Club B and Club C would host Club D on Monday, Sept. 30 (tentatively). The winners of each of those games would then meet on Tuesday, Oct. 1 (tentatively), hosted by the winner of the game between Club A and Club B, to determine the Wild Card Club.

Four-Club Tie for Two Wild Card Spots:
    After Clubs have been assigned their A, B, C and D designations, Club A would host Club B and Club C would host Club D on Monday, Sept. 30 (tentatively). The winners of each of those games would be declared the Wild Card Clubs.

but how do we figure out for five teams??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

No no, beat the Rays tonight. We can take care of NY ourselves this weekend.

I do agree with this, finish burying the Rays and bury the Yankees at Fenway. I'm just hoping the sox aren't peaking too early. It's nice not seeing them go down the drain like they do this time of year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I don't think they're peaking.

It's not like the Sox have won 6 or 7 in a row.

They' are doing now, what they've pretty much done all year.

Win series and don't lose more than 3 in a row.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Exactly!  They have not had very long winning streaks all year....or any big losing streaks.  They did what they were supposed to do and have been INCREDIBLY consistent doing it.  Lets Keep it up!!  As for losing.  The Sox are in the business of winning games...not deciding other teams fates....which could wind up biting you on the @ s s!  

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Funny part is that all five teams fighting for the second wild card spots, four of them are all playing on the road for the last three games of the year.  NYY @ Houston, Tampa @ Toronto, KC @White Sox, Cleve @ Minn and Baltimore is a lone team playing at home against Boston.

Which team have advantage?  Probably Baltimore cuz Boston may purposely juggles the rotation to save best for the post season as well they could rest alot of regulars.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

+1.. CLEVELAND it is.. want to face tito!

Actually, I didn't mean it that that way. I like Tito, and I'd love to see  him get back to the playoffs.

But, true, Cleveland would seem to be the weaker of the alternatives.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hate the Rays so its so sweet to see their lead dwindle to just a game over the Yankees.  

Five teams separated by just 2.5 games for the final wild card berth.  The Yankees have a pretty easy schedule.  Their last three games are against Houston.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Funny part is that all five teams fighting for the second wild card spots, four of them are all playing on the road for the last three games of the year.  NYY @ Houston, Tampa @ Toronto, KC @White Sox, Cleve @ Minn and Baltimore is a lone team playing at home against Boston.

Which team have advantage?  Probably Baltimore cuz Boston may purposely juggles the rotation to save best for the post season as well they could rest alot of regulars.  

I'm a little doubtful of this.  There's plenty of time for rest and setting rotation between last game of season and start of DS.  If the redsox can keep baltimore from winning 2nd WC outright they will try hard to do that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Exactly!  They have not had very long winning streaks all year....or any big losing streaks.  They did what they were supposed to do and have been INCREDIBLY consistent doing it.  Lets Keep it up!!  As for losing.  The Sox are in the business of winning games...not deciding other teams fates....which could wind up biting you on the @ s s!  

Not quite. In their last ten games the Sox are 8-2, .800 ball. They have not played .800 ball all year and are not likely to sustain that pace either. A return to earth is going to happen. Concerns about peaking too early are not out of line at all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Not quite. In their last ten games the Sox are 8-2, .800 ball. They have not played .800 ball all year and are not likely to sustain that pace either. A return to earth is going to happen. Concerns about peaking too early are not out of line at all.

In that case, they've peaked a lot this year.

04/22 8-2

05/02 8-2

07/06 8-2

07/30 8-2

08/24 8-2

I'm sure you thought they'd "come back to Earth" (whatever that is supposed to mean) during each and every one of those "peaks".

But, I'd expect nothing less from someone who called the Sox a ".500 team" a month ago.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I believe .800 is unsustainable over a long stretch but that's not what this team has done.  They haven't gone on any 16 game winning streaks followed by losing 8 of 12.  They just keep on keepin' on, winning nearly every series and losing one game out of that series.  A cursory look tells me that this team hasn't won more than five games in a row all year, nor have they lost more than four in a row. 

Just as it's possible to cherry pick situations where they've won 8-10 it's also possible to cherry pick situations where they've lost 6 of 8.  All that proves is that over an extended period of time they're consistent.

For me, I tend to have a lot more faith going into the playoffs in a team that's been consistent all year long then I would a team that's been streaky.    

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have no idea how a Sox fan can hate the Rays more than the Yankees. Have you been paying attention all these years ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I have no idea how a Sox fan can hate the Rays more than the Yankees. Have you been paying attention all these years ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

They're pretty much on equal terms with me now. 

For Tampa Bay it's been an acquired taste <Ptui!>.  It's not just recent history.  The bad blood between these two teams goes back to 2001, back when the Devil Rays were starting beanball wars with the Sox even though they were at the bottom of the division.  IMO you have to EARN the right to engage in a bench-clearing brawl and if you're a cellar dewller you haven't earned that right. 

As to the Yankees, I have my Yankee Hater cap and my Yankees Suck T-shirt and I intensely dislike the Yankees for what they've done, but at the same time I also respect them for what they've accomplished.  It's hard to not respect a team that's won that many rings.

While I recognize what the Rays have done I could respect them more if they hadn't been such jerks along the way.

Sections
Shortcuts