Mr. Ortiz, dust off and oil up that first baseman's mitt!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Mr. Ortiz, dust off and oil up that first baseman's mitt!

With another dash of interleague play looming soon (LA & SF), David Ortiz needs to be ready to play first base in all of those games if last night's offensive performance without him in the lineup could indicate team performance when he does not hit.

I realize that last night was only one game, but if Bruce Chen can completely shut the Sox down, what will happen during the week in California against the Dodgers and Giants?

These games are going to be very important (as is every other game in a pennant race), but the timing of these games could be crucial.  And, without Ortiz in the lineup all of these interleague games could be very difficult to win.

Bruce Chen would maybe not even be in the bullpen for the Dodgers or Giants.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Mr. Ortiz, dust off and oil up that first baseman's mitt!

That's not the worst idea I ever heard, by far.  While Papi was never accused of being a GG 1B he was always at least adequate there and we need that bat in the lineup. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have to agree. We cannot afford to be sitting our best hitter versus two teams with good pitching

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

With another dash of interleague play looming soon (LA & SF), David Ortiz needs to be ready to play first base in all of those games if last night's offensive performance without him in the lineup could indicate team performance when he does not hit.

I realize that last night was only one game, but if Bruce Chen can completely shut the Sox down, what will happen during the week in California against the Dodgers and Giants?

These games are going to be very important (as is every other game in a pennant race), but the timing of these games could be crucial.  And, without Ortiz in the lineup all of these interleague games could be very difficult to win.

Bruce Chen would maybe not even be in the bullpen for the Dodgers or Giants.

Great post. Let me add that I have followed Papi from  way back, before mlb... He is a born first baseman , not a gold glover, but about average...papi cant be benched in those six dates

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

maybe that's the plan....maybe that's why Ortiz got some rest.